GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Driver & Passenger Mirror Size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2007 | 11:43 AM

ml430
Question Driver & Passenger Mirror Size

I recently took out a 550 for a test drive and noticed something that I hadn't in the show room. The actual size of the usable mirrors are much smaller than the housing, do any of you current owners find this problematic?
Old 09-07-2007 | 11:52 AM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
It's been hard getting used to the small size of these mirrors especially compared to other SUV's I have had previously. There is a blind spot for me on the drivers side and I fiddle with seat and mirror on the highway to minimize it. Personally I think they could have slightly enlarged them and still maintained nice styling but they certainly weren't a deal breaker for me. Maybe some of the people towing could offer their opinions too?
Old 09-07-2007 | 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by GWNorthNY
I recently took out a 550 for a test drive and noticed something that I hadn't in the show room. The actual size of the usable mirrors are much smaller than the housing, do any of you current owners find this problematic?
I've got to say after owning several SUVs that the mirror size was somewhat troublesome. I had to wonder if there was some aerodynamic reason for having that small of a mirror in that big a housing, but I doubt it. I think it was purely a styling choice to make it feel more sedan-like. You do get used to it and while there are plenty of opportunities to have "blind spots" around the thick pillars, particularly in the rear cargo area, it can be overcome.
Old 09-07-2007 | 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
GL is my first SUV so mirror size is not a big issue for me. But, as jpeardm pointed out, would like to know what people towing think? Mel, you still hanging out here?
Old 09-07-2007 | 05:23 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by GWNorthNY
I find the width of the side view mirrors to be just wide enough. Just make sure they are set up properly. You can tell when someone has their side view mirrors improperly, because you can see their face from their side view mirror when you're driving BEHIND them. You should be able to see their faces when you are i their blind spot. If you tilt your head to either side before your adjust side view mirrors so that you see the side of your car after you adjust the mirrors, than you will have a clearer view of your blinds spots. Cars should drift from your rear view mirror directly to your side view mirror as they pass you. If they are visible from both rear and side view mirrors at the same time as they pass you than your blind spot is larger than it should be. It's odd at first to not always see the side of your car, but I quickly realized that the over the shoulder glance produces fewer surprises.
Old 09-07-2007 | 06:00 PM

The troublesome spot for me is over my right shoulder. The right rear corner produces a blind spot.

+1 on the mirror adjustment. If you can see the sides of your vehicle, they aren't correctly adjusted and never forget over-the-shoulder glances.
Old 09-10-2007 | 06:36 PM

'13 Q7, '13 A6
It's taken us some getting use to. We upgraded from a Nissan to the GL450 and the Pathfinder had bigger mirrors.
Old 09-10-2007 | 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Who needs big mirrors to see the blind spots? The other drivers should be the ones moving once they see the GL.

Seeing this in your rearview should be enough to make you wet your pants twice (both ways...TMI?) and make you stop at the shoulder, much less move over a lane.

If you see the GL at this angle, I think you're in the blind spot. Look at those massive wheels, the fenders with the flares. The commanding presence of the GL should make you slow down and put some distance from that beast to avoid some trouble.

Anyone smart enough would know no other car on the road (besides another MB ) is worthy of traveling down the road or highway alongside the GL. Kind of like no other flag can fly higher than the U.S. flag on the pole.

So you see? The GL OWNS the road. You shouldn't have to be troubled to look around you for cars in your blind spot. Everyone else should be moving for you.

*Credit for the beautiful pictures goes to dsunnym1 (although most of you know).
**Disclaimer: Please observe and obey all traffic laws and remember to actually check around you before making any maneuvers/turns/etc.
Old 09-10-2007 | 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by AsianML
So you see? The GL OWNS the road. You shouldn't have to be troubled to look around you for cars in your blind spot. Everyone else should be moving for you.

AsianML for President
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can't be sure whether you like the GL or not. Don't hold out on us - what're your real feelings about the car!

STP

PS You've got my vote for President, too!
Old 09-11-2007 | 03:43 PM

'13 Q7, '13 A6
OK that's enough...stop bragging!
Old 09-11-2007 | 04:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I can't be sure whether you like the GL or not. Don't hold out on us - what're your real feelings about the car!

STP

PS You've got my vote for President, too!
I think the GL is the most ridiculous vehicle on the face of the Earth. I can't even believe Mercedes has the ***** to call it an SUV when we all know it's just a fancy Euro wagon.

I love the GL!
BTW, if you vote me for President I promise to make Mercedes allow us to order any model the way we want it with no limitations to options or packages or features. I also promise to make sure they get delivered on time. If the deadline is missed the car is yours free of charge. MB will just have to accept lower profits.

Politician's honor.
Old 09-11-2007 | 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Politician's honor.
Well that's the end of that!

Besides, from what I hear the GL is really just an all-wheel-drive minivan.
Old 09-11-2007 | 07:53 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
I think the GL is the most ridiculous vehicle on the face of the Earth. I can't even believe Mercedes has the ***** to call it an SUV when we all know it's just a fancy Euro wagon.

I love the GL!
BTW, if you vote me for President I promise to make Mercedes allow us to order any model the way we want it with no limitations to options or packages or features. I also promise to make sure they get delivered on time. If the deadline is missed the car is yours free of charge. MB will just have to accept lower profits.

Politician's honor.