GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

article..can you believe this!..is mb being targeted?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Problems with this listing (and all PR from MB) is that many times the innovations, particularly when it applies to engines, never make it to the US.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Good news thus far, but we all know things can change in this industry. It seems to me that if fuel consumption is the real target that a blutec/ hybrid combination would yield the best results. Anyone know of any testing in this area?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emayer
Good news thus far, but we all know things can change in this industry. It seems to me that if fuel consumption is the real target that a blutec/ hybrid combination would yield the best results. Anyone know of any testing in this area?
From the last two para in the item above if this is what you meant as "area."

Versions of the E-class and S-class sedans powered by Bluetec diesel hybrid powertrains are due in 2010. The powertrains will include a four-cylinder diesel engine and seven-speed automatic transmission. The E-class hybrid will burn 5.1 liters (1.3 gallons) of fuel per 100 kilometers, or about 47.6 miles per gallon.

A version of the C class with the Bluetec diesel hybrid is due after 2010, Mercedes said.
-end-
Old 09-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Sorry NJ, I should elaborate. I was thinking since the potential release of the diesel/hybrid combo is 3+ years off I was wondering if there is any exisiting testing or data regarding the benefits of this combination. It seems like a logical idea that could be implemented rather quickly and maximize the benefits of available technologies. For example, I heard rumor of a VW prototype that is a turbodiesel/ hybrid combination placed in a ultralight vehicle (read: not crashworthy!) that exceeded 200 mpg! It apparantly holds the present record for fuel efficiency.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emayer
Sorry NJ, I should elaborate. I was thinking since the potential release of the diesel/hybrid combo is 3+ years off I was wondering if there is any exisiting testing or data regarding the benefits of this combination. It seems like a logical idea that could be implemented rather quickly and maximize the benefits of available technologies. For example, I heard rumor of a VW prototype that is a turbodiesel/ hybrid combination placed in a ultralight vehicle (read: not crashworthy!) that exceeded 200 mpg! It apparantly holds the present record for fuel efficiency.
Yeah...I put the area in quotes because I was pretty sure you saw it. I agree the diesel hybrid is going to be the successful entry in this area. With four cylinders that E would post 47 mpg...wow! The power lovers will not go for it but that is quite a figure to toss around.

Tree huggers beware...the diesel is coming whether you like it or not...:-)