GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Train Delays Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Train Delays Delivery

Thought I would open a thread on the saga of getting my GL550 delivered. It was delayed in Vance 13 days for unknown reasons, and now after reaching Chicago by train, has become a casualty of the railroad car upon which it sits.

I received this from my rep yesterday regarding delivery. (Stumblefoot's GL was on the same train but luckily it was on another railcar so he will take delivery tomorrow if the information he received is accurate.)

"Hi Jack,
I share in your frustration. I am finding out now that a train broke down last week holding four of our Vance cars back. Wouldn’t you know that your’s was one of the cars on the train that broke down. I talked to Champion today and your car is still in Illinois and there was no more information. The system shows a dealer ETA of 9/11 but that is impossible.

The nice young lady at Champion recognizes my number on the caller ID and I will call her again in the morning.

Sorry Jack."

Champion is the freight company that receives the cars and transports them to the dealership.

Stay tuned for later bulletins...
Old 09-11-2007 | 07:58 AM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Sorry to hear about the delays. The 13 days in Vance is especially troublesome. My car has a build date of today; I'll have to find out if that has been affected as well.
Old 09-11-2007 | 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sraj
Sorry to hear about the delays. The 13 days in Vance is especially troublesome. My car has a build date of today; I'll have to find out if that has been affected as well.
I had a build date of 8/13 and it was not completed until 8/25. My rep could not get any information on the status during the delay period. We still don't know why it took that long.

Stumblefoot's was completed on 8/31 and showed up in Chicago on the same train at the same time as mine. This was probably the result of the train line, not MB. Location of the buyer certainly will have an effect of how long it takes after the "Delivered to Carrier" status is reached.
Old 09-11-2007 | 11:08 AM

MB
Sorry to hear of the delay NJ. Hang in there, good things come to those who wait!
Old 09-11-2007 | 12:32 PM

19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
NJ, sorry to hear about your delay... Kinda....
Old 09-11-2007 | 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550
NJ, sorry to hear about your delay... Kinda....
"kinda...."
Old 09-11-2007 | 12:51 PM

19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
Well it be worse of course if it was me waiting for the Ob black on black GL550.. At one time we joked you were even allocated mine from the east coast..
Old 09-11-2007 | 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well it be worse of course if it was me waiting for the Ob black on black GL550.. At one time we joked you were even allocated mine from the east coast..
A smile after "kinda..." would have made your point better...:-)

I am a little testy today...wonder why?
Old 09-11-2007 | 01:31 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
A smile after "kinda..." would have made your point better...:-)

I am a little testy today...wonder why?
Sorry about the "kinda"

As you once told me it's only a car and there are things much more important than that...

However I would also be loosing my mind if I were in your shoes.. In fact I had a similar issue once -- waiting 6 months for a lexus which was blamed on a lexus plant "fire" (I think it was due to too good a deal and that my dealer actually sold my initial car -- I'm a very suspicious kinda guy)
Old 09-11-2007 | 01:45 PM

2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
Hey, I'd be glad to pick up your GL550 in Chicago and personally deliver it to Denver for you!

Seriously, though, I can feel for you. After waiting this long for a GL (first the 320 and now the 550), I'd be a wreck!
Old 09-11-2007 | 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Accurate Information and Misinformation

Nevada Jack is very aware of the trials and tribulations that I've been through getting this 550 since putting down my initial deposit back in April. As a purchase, it has been the most frustrating process I have ever been through, and that includes building two new houses in the past 9 years.

While Jack continues to get news that is bad, he always gets accurate information. I, on the other hand, get just the opposite... misinformation that is always good news, but inevitably turns into bad news. Check out the email I just received from the same dealership as NJ, but different rep of course...

I did talk with Champion Friday and they confirmed that your GL would be in Yesterday. It now has a new ETA of 9/13. I will call you when I know more.

This is the same rep that confirmed with me on the telephone yesterday that he had received an update that my 550's ETA to the dealership would be today. As I told Jack after he got his news last night, something smells very fishy around here. And, sure enough, my good news turned bad. At this point, I'm not holding my breath that mine will be in 9/13, until Jack hears from his rep that his will be in at that time.

I've got to believe that we're stuck on the same train folks!
Old 09-11-2007 | 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
If in fact the train is the real issue??? Think your dealer is mesing around for an extra buck in profits.. I here these trucks are going at MSRP and more
Old 09-11-2007 | 03:20 PM

GL550 (on order), Ferrari 308GTS, Lexus LX470, Ford Explorer
Jack...just to lighten things up...I took delivery of my GL on Sept 1st. I decided to keep my lease car ( 48 mo & 102k miles ) for one more month. I was commuting to work today and.....the alternator goes and takes the Battery with it. $475 later...... Not that any of this is relevant to your truck sitting in Chicago but I thought you could chuckle along with me
Old 09-11-2007 | 03:47 PM

SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
NJ, at least you know were your GL is located. We still don't have a build date.
Old 09-11-2007 | 05:07 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
Nevada Jack is very aware of the trials and tribulations that I've been through getting this 550 since putting down my initial deposit back in April. As a purchase, it has been the most frustrating process I have ever been through, and that includes building two new houses in the past 9 years.

While Jack continues to get news that is bad, he always gets accurate information. I, on the other hand, get just the opposite... misinformation that is always good news, but inevitably turns into bad news. Check out the email I just received from the same dealership as NJ, but different rep of course...

I did talk with Champion Friday and they confirmed that your GL would be in Yesterday. It now has a new ETA of 9/13. I will call you when I know more.

This is the same rep that confirmed with me on the telephone yesterday that he had received an update that my 550's ETA to the dealership would be today. As I told Jack after he got his news last night, something smells very fishy around here. And, sure enough, my good news turned bad. At this point, I'm not holding my breath that mine will be in 9/13, until Jack hears from his rep that his will be in at that time.

Sorry to hear about all the b.s you guys are going thru trying to receive your trucks.

If any more story's arise from your dealers and they cant seem to produce your trucks....... Let me know if you would like my dealers name here in Florida.
They don't seem to have a problem getting any 550's down here!!
Old 09-11-2007 | 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Whipsaw

Now you will get to experience what it is liked being whipsawed. Here's the latest from my rep...

Your GL is on schedule, no delay. I’m hoping it comes today. When I spoke to them the vehicle was not in Illinois and they expected the train Monday. If it doesn’t arrive this afternoon I’ll call and see if we’re looking at any delays.

Didn't he just tell me 2 hours ago that it would be Thursday? At this point, my head is spinning!!!
Old 09-11-2007 | 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If in fact the train is the real issue??? Think your dealer is mesing around for an extra buck in profits.. I here these trucks are going at MSRP and more
The train broke down before it got to Chicago after it left Vance.

There is no hanky-panky here...my rep is as honest as they come and when he tells me something, I can depend on it.

BTW...Greg called the 550 Market HOT...so price breaks are going to be tough to get.
Old 09-11-2007 | 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dsunnym1
Sorry to hear about all the b.s you guys are going thru trying to receive your trucks.

If any more story's arise from your dealers and they cant seem to produce your trucks....... Let me know if you would like my dealers name here in Florida.
They don't seem to have a problem getting any 550's down here!!
The problem is with the trains, not the trucks. 2500 miles of railroad takes longer than a short drive to Florida or the SE/NE area. I could not ask for a more conscientious dealer...we were unfortunate to have a train that couldn't...:-)
Old 09-11-2007 | 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Denver Delivery Saga

Greg informed me today that the train had originally broken down on it way to Chicago from Vance. This caused the delay with schedules in Chicago.

Anyway, the train with my GL is on it's way (or will be shortly) to Denver. Stumblefoot and I believe his is also on the same train. It is scheduled to arrive Thursday and Greg hopes to get the car sometime Friday or at the latest Saturday morning. Delivery could take place from Friday afternoon/evening to late Saturday. We will have a better idea on Thursday morning when the dispatcher tells Greg the trains position and when it is due in the yard. Champion (MB freight contractor) will then deliver the car to the dealership and they work on Saturdays. PDI and detail will be done and hopefully the final curtain will close on this tragedy. At least the hoses have not popped off so cancellation looks unlikely...

I intend to aim the S at Denver sometime Thursday morning and depend on Greg to get it done, and I have complete confidence he will get it done.

Pictures at 11:00....
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Ohhhhh folks... if you could only hear the voicemail message I received this evening. Truly priceless.

Anyway, as you can see, NJ and I have our fingers crossed for a dual delivery late Friday or early Saturday.

As for me, I'll stop the pi**ing and moaning. I know you're just as tired of it as I am. And, it certainly isn't going to get the train here any faster.

Thanks for putting up with me.

I'll let NJ post all of the pictures of the vehicles. As Nish knows, there is no way I'll be able to compete with my little Cannon P&S.
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Coming Attractions

Stand by folks...the big event is getting closer. Not one, but two GL550's to be delivered side by side. One is Verde Brook on Macadamia and the other is Obsidian Black on Black. Both survivors of a railroad breakdown but prepped and detailed to perfection.

I know you will be upset but this is the last post about this big event until pictures are posted to document the occasion.
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:27 PM

2008 C350
Stand by folks...the big event is getting closer. Not one, but two GL550's to be delivered side by side. One is Verde Brook on Macadamia and the other is Obsidian Black on Black. Both survivors of a railroad breakdown but prepped and detailed to perfection.

I know you will be upset but this is the last post about this big event until pictures are posted to document the occasion.
Ahhh, it's almost time! An early congrats goes out to you!
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Didn't he just tell me 2 hours ago that it would be Thursday? At this point, my head is spinning!!!
You wearing a neck brace, yet?
Old 09-12-2007 | 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I have all 10 fingers and toes crossed, NJ and Stumble. And, yes, I do have a big towel handy for wiping the drool also.

NJ - does Westminster have internet access? Else I will send you my aircard so you can post pics as soon as you see the car

And, yes, 550's are hot right now. Went by today to see one since I was by the dealer and they had zip on the lot. Netstar search revealed the closest one to be downtown LA and it was already sold. To put in context, I have 8 or so dealers between me and downtown LA and none of them had one on the lot.
Old 09-12-2007 | 07:58 AM

MB

AWESOME NEWS NJ!!!

Can't wait to see pics and learn of your driving impressions. Good luck today.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Train Delays Delivery