GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL In The Shop - C230 Loaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2007 | 12:50 AM

2014 GL 450
GL In The Shop - C230 Loaner

The Parktronic on my GL is on the blink (one of the sensors in the rear bumper is missing) so I took it in to the shop to get fixed along with getting new air bag stickers put onto my visors (original ones were badly mis-aligned) and a piece of some kind of furry weather stripping stuff (yes that is the technical explanation) was hanging out of the sun roof.

Because it's warranty work, the dealership is giving me a loaner car. I go outside to get the car and it's a Pontiac G6. Now, it's a nice car, but after driving the GL, I'm a bit spoiled. So I jokingly said, "What, no C230?" to the rental car guy who immediately said, "Well, I just got one returned. Give me 10 minutes to get it cleaned up for you." So I waited about 5 minutes and they brought around a black 2007 C230.

It's a nice car inside, rides very smooth and shifts very smoothly but you can definitely hear more road noise and the power is no where near the GL's power.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get my GL back. The C230 is nice, but I'm already missing my GL.
Old 09-14-2007 | 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Hey Jen - good to see you made it back from Montana safe and sound. I have driven the C loaners and they are definitely fun but they are no GLs for sure.

BTW, what is up with the new airbag stickers? Have them replace the visors. That is what they did for me. And, I had the "furry weather striping" hanging out of the sunroof too. I just stuck it back in. Let me know what they say on that.
Old 09-14-2007 | 07:30 AM
Almost a Member!

08 MB GL 320CDI, 07 MB S550, 02 Porsche Cabriolet, 98 MB 450SL, 64 Citreon 2CV
Your lucky. Usually I get a Toyota Corolla with 25,000 miles on the clock as a loaner.
Old 09-14-2007 | 10:25 AM

2014 GL 450
Nish-

I remembered that you had the problem with the visor stickers as well. If the new stickers don't look good, then I'll ask for new visors. They had to order the part, so that's what took so long.

Funny that you had the sunroof issue, too. I stuffed the strip back in as well, but it came out again. Now watch, they won't be able to find it or something dumb like that.
Old 09-14-2007 | 12:54 PM

2022 GLE 350; 2016 BMW 428i gran coupe; 2014 Audi Q5 tdi
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
The Parktronic on my GL is on the blink (one of the sensors in the rear bumper is missing) so I took it in to the shop to get fixed along with getting new air bag stickers put onto my visors (original ones were badly mis-aligned) and a piece of some kind of furry weather stripping stuff (yes that is the technical explanation) was hanging out of the sun roof.

Because it's warranty work, the dealership is giving me a loaner car. I go outside to get the car and it's a Pontiac G6. Now, it's a nice car, but after driving the GL, I'm a bit spoiled. So I jokingly said, "What, no C230?" to the rental car guy who immediately said, "Well, I just got one returned. Give me 10 minutes to get it cleaned up for you." So I waited about 5 minutes and they brought around a black 2007 C230.

It's a nice car inside, rides very smooth and shifts very smoothly but you can definitely hear more road noise and the power is no where near the GL's power.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get my GL back. The C230 is nice, but I'm already missing my GL.
My wife took our GL in for warranty work. The dealership was out of C class loaners so she got a red Chevy Cobalt sedan. My kids had never seen a car where you had to use a crank to roll the windows up and down. I think it was a good experience for them for one day and the 10 miles they spent in that car before getting the GL back
Old 09-14-2007 | 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by abcdef7
My kids had never seen a car where you had to use a crank to roll the windows up and down.
Yeah, my 4 year had the same learning experience
Old 09-14-2007 | 04:22 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by abcdef
My wife took our GL in for warranty work. The dealership was out of C class loaners so she got a red Chevy Cobalt sedan. My kids had never seen a car where you had to use a crank to roll the windows up and down. I think it was a good experience for them for one day and the 10 miles they spent in that car before getting the GL back
We have a 2005 Honda Civic that has crank windows & manual door locks (no remote). It's my husband's commuter car, and before getting the GL, I drove it a couple of days a week when he's off to save on gas. Now, I really don't like driving it after driving the GL...yup, I'm spoiled!
Old 09-16-2007 | 12:18 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by oknish
Hey Jen - good to see you made it back from Montana safe and sound. I have driven the C loaners and they are definitely fun but they are no GLs for sure.

BTW, what is up with the new airbag stickers? Have them replace the visors. That is what they did for me. And, I had the "furry weather striping" hanging out of the sunroof too. I just stuck it back in. Let me know what they say on that.
They did replace the visors; they couldn't get the new stickers to line up without having the sticky residue coming through.

With the sunroof, apparently it was excess felt tape that is used as a wind noise reducer. It was a piece of it that had apparently been cut off at the factory, and somehow never discarded.