GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Location, location, location!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by gordongl450
I am not sure how Apple implements "loudness" with the iPOD but I'll bet the concept is the same. It is probably increasing the bass response slightly. It actually seems weird to me that the iPOD would even have the control since the small amplifier is really designed to drive little ear buds.

Anyway, in the GL try to listen for an increase in bass when you engage the loudness on the iPOD. I will fool around with this for my own test although I hate playing with the menu and submenus in the iPOD.

Thanks for the discussion.

Gordon
Gordon,

This is exactly what I meant by more "punch"; the bass was more prominent but in a pleasing way (not boomy), at least for a brief sample of the indie rock and classic rock that I listen to. Also, the iPod has a "bass boost" setting; not sure how that differs from Loudness. Perhaps Loudness boosts certain other frequency ranges as well, or by a different extent? I didn't care for bass boost with my Shure earphones, but I'll try it in the GL when I get home.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Mounting the wart on top of the roof like most other SUV's and as Sirius themselves recommend for SUV's might have helped reception. MB must have been convinced the hidden location would provide adequate reception but for some of us it does not. My wife's RR has Sirius with the antenna on the roof and driving the same routes there is less drop out and the duration of drop is much shorter. I'm sure there are parts of the country where reception is good but it's spotty where I am. My prior GMC SUV's with XM dropped even less.