GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

ok, first 1000 miles on my GL320cdi, here's what I think

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500
ok, first 1000 miles on my GL320cdi, here's what I think

Finally took delivery of my 08 GL320cdi. Black on black, P1, blah blah. Anyway, I've been driving a Nissan Armada for the last 2 years. I picked up my GL Friday about 3pm, and its got 1,000 miles on it as of 3pm today (Tuesday), so here's what I think so far and things I like and don't like.

First off, I got a rock chip in the windshield at about mile 5, before I even got on the friggin road, so you may wanna opt for the Diamond shield or whatever the hell they call it.

Although quieter than the Armada, I don't think its as comfortable on a long drive. Maybe its because the Armada is 2x the size and everyone sits 3 ft apart, lol. 250 miles and I'm a little worn, it may be cause I'm still not used to the controls and seat adjustments. No real complaints.

Nav is a bit tricky, can't target a spot on the map and let it direct you. Also, you can't see county/side roads off the main highways unless you are at 1 mile radius.

Although I can't find in in the manual, the little lights on the dash and the rear (for parktronic) are helpful, they even go on when I get close in moving traffic. Rear camera works well for backing up too.

Going over bumps the sound is muffled, but sort of pounds at your eardrums (maybe its too muffled)... I still haven't figured that one out yet.

For 08, the center console doesn't have the small section, just the big one. The HF kit is of to one side of the console. Very little room. My wallet, a pen or two, I have more room in the tail of my Ducati. lol

The adjustable height only stays up till about 45 mph, then goes back down to lowered (standard) height. I guess its for safety/stability reasons, same as the Range Rover.

Sirius doesn't sound as good as CD, but I never remember it sounding better, so I'm not complaining. No way to toggle between pre-sets on radio or Sirius, so you have to switch screens, then reach over to the keypad on the right of COMAND to switch them. Also, I haven't figured out a way to go straight to a Sirius station without going thru all of them. Thats getting old.

I do like the night/day COMAND screens, thats very nice.

At 1000 miles, my avg MPG is 23.9 on this tank so far. today I filled up and drove 234 miles. I have 3/4 of a tank left, and it indicates 425 mile range left. I doubt it, but its getting a super range per tank. thats the reason I bought this truck, lol.

Oh, and when the gas light comes on, you better start looking for gas, lol. My Armada light would come on at 6 gallons remaining, but its more like 2 gallons on the GL. I did notice some gas stations had low sulpher, not ULTRA low sulpher, but with this range I'll never have to worry about it.

Drives really nice, earlier today I found some twisty roads (80-90 mph), the truck responded very well and held the road with more confidence than any other SUV I've driven (actually, better than most sedans).

I'm happy with my purchase, I think its going to be a great ride.

Last edited by HoustonRider; 10-02-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM

2007 GL450
Houston,

Thanks for the report. Nice to hear about the gas mileage.

You will quickly learn how to program 10 of your favorite Sirius stations and then you will be able to switch them on the steering wheel.

We have a GL320 coming in the beginning of November so I am interested in all of your "driving a 320 CDI" commentary.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by HoustonRider
Although quieter than the Armada, I don't think its as comfortable on a long drive. Maybe its because the Armada is 2x the size and everyone sits 3 ft apart, lol. 250 miles and I'm a little worn, it may be cause I'm still not used to the controls and seat adjustments. No real complaints.
I think as you get it all adjusted up and checked out, you'll find it's not Barcalounger comfortable but it should be anything but tiring. (IMHO)

For 08, the center console doesn't have the small section, just the big one. The HF kit is of to one side of the console. Very little room. My wallet, a pen or two, I have more room in the tail of my Ducati. lol
No big difference here. With the BT kit in the top section, there's room for maybe a couple of pens, and due to the bizzarre shape in the bottom section my glasses barely fit!

The adjustable height only stays up till about 45 mph, then goes back down to lowered (standard) height. I guess its for safety/stability reasons, same as the Range Rover.
Same as the LX470 as well.

No way to toggle between pre-sets on radio or Sirius, so you have to switch screens, then reach over to the keypad on the right of COMAND to switch them. Also, I haven't figured out a way to go straight to a Sirius station without going thru all of them. Thats getting old.
There is definately a way to switch between pre-sets, it's in your Settings menu on the little screen in front of the steering wheel. You can change it there, or just hit the pre-set button on the keypad (like going between the two comedy channels, which are #'s 1&3 on my system, or the news, which is #2, I just hit that number on the keypad with the map up and it goes to that station). Going direct to station, I know there's a way but I don't know what it is.

Oh, and when the gas light comes on, you better start looking for gas, lol. My Armada light would come on at 6 gallons remaining, but its more like 2 gallons on the GL. I did notice some gas stations had low sulpher, not ULTRA low sulpher, but with this range I'll never have to worry about it.
My light comes on at about 1/8 tank, which is a lot more than 2 gallons if I'm not mistaken (I've put as much as 27 gallons in the tank). Did they change it?

I'm happy with my purchase, I think its going to be a great ride.
Couldn't agree more! Enjoy it!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
I agree. The manual says 26.4 g including 3.4 g reserve. I was a little confused about the total qty and asked the SA. He said 26.4 total and the alarm should go off with 3.4 g left. I have put 24 g in and the low fuel light has never came on.

I'm not doubting you but about the ULSD, but you should not be able to buy anything but ULSD since 10/2006, anywhere in the US (except rural Alaska). However, they may not have heard about that law in some areas of west Texas. Their diesel may be coming right off the well head.

Compared to the Excursion, the ride is exquisite. Not knocking the Excursion; however, I will regret getting rid of it some day (It was the last year of the 7.3L). The 320 feels like a sports car compared to it. That's not really a good comparison since the Excursion was based on a Super Duty chassis and had a 8800 lb GVW.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 AM

You say that there is no way to select a location on the map and navigate to it. Thats is not true. Use the controls to scroll the map up and down and then press the middle button wherever you like and you will get the option to navigate there
Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by BigJim
You say that there is no way to select a location on the map and navigate to it. Thats is not true. Use the controls to scroll the map up and down and then press the middle button wherever you like and you will get the option to navigate there
.....yes, as long as you are not in motion at the time....
Old 10-03-2007, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by oinick
.....yes, as long as you are not in motion at the time....
I think it works even when the car is moving, oinick.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Star (*) plus channel number gets you directly to a station.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:17 AM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
Height

I doubt that my 450 lowers after 45 MPH. It does that after I hit 65. Is there something wrong ..
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 AM

06 CLS500
Originally Posted by GLDriver
I doubt that my 450 lowers after 45 MPH. It does that after I hit 65. Is there something wrong ..
a few times at 45ish and a few at 60ish.... who knows...lol

Can't target a destination while driving, so you can't re-route something while on the move (that I've been able to find)

I'm in South Texas, Corpus Christi (where all the refineries are) and 2 stations I stopped at had Low Sulphur (500ppm)... I next station I found was Ultra (15ppm). Maybe it was Ultra and they didn't change the tags, I wasn't gonna take a chance.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM

'13 Q7, '13 A6
Originally Posted by lkchris
Thanks...didn't know that!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Also, when the main Sirius screen is displayed (not the information screen), the left and right arrows scroll through categories and the up and down arrows scroll through the channels within the category. At least, that is the way mine works.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 AM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Cool - I was wondering how to dial in a station direct.