GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL550-E500 wagon-G500 comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
GL550-E500 wagon-G500 comparo

Some driving impressions for anyone in the market for these vehicles or struggling to decide between a MB wagon vs. SUV. I've owned the E500 wagon and G500 for 3 years prior to trading the G500 for the GL550. A disclaimer lest I be flamed: These are purly subjective opinions based on ownership, using the vehicles for commuting, transporting 2 small children, and extended trips. Some of the comments herein reflect the differences intrinsic amongst passenger cars and SUVs. First the synopsis:

Overall Build quality: E500 wagon
Interior material quality: E500 wagon
Utility: GL550
Best daily driver/ utility combo: E500 wagon
Long distance favorite: GL550
Most fun to drive: E500 wagon
Best fuel consumption: E500 wagon

Now for the specifics:

While the E500 version is no longer available in the U.S. the overall performance characteristics are not significantly different than the current E350 wagon with 7-speed transmission. This car is more characteristic of what a European sport sedan and an MB should entail in regards to build quality, materials, and driveability especially handling and braking. The car has limited 7-passenger capability. Interior noise level actually greater than the GL550. Ride is also firmer which aids handling. Throttle and braking are more in-line with the car's power. This vehicle has had no issues in snow up to 10 inches (car can also be raised). In short, for a true MB driving experience, luxury, and practicality this is my favorite at the expense of some utility. Load capacity is actually quite good for 90% of uses but we have a Thule box for those extra items. Incidentally, the entire system is compatable with the GL. If off-roading or towing is in the menu all bets are off!

The G500 is unique. Generous cargo capacity but inegress and egress are impractical especially with small children. Wife afraid to drive since it really does behave like a tank. Steering is heavy and braking is suboptimal for city traffic. I personally loved it as a daily work commuter, but would not favor for extended trips or family use. Road noise is high, the ride is like a truck (not unexpected!), towing capacity somewhat limited. Unstoppable in any weather condition though I honestly used the diff locks on one occasion and this was likely overkill. Arguably the most unique road presence if that's your thing.

The GL550 is perhaps the best blend of the aforementioned cars. I have driven many SUVs and this is certainly one of the most sedan-like. Power is excellent, handling is reasonably good though there is an element of body lean. Braking is also good but would prefer a firmer pedal feel and perhaps larger rotors. I find steering to be a bit light especially at higher speeds. I am most disappointed with the interior build materials. The vehicle is excellent within the class but amongst MB products is not great. The leather and plastic components have a cheaper look and feel. Certainly the best for long-distance cruising. Excellent load carrying and towing. Winter driving yet to be determined though I do not expect any suprises.

Thats all folks! Let the beatings begin...
Old 10-06-2007, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by emayer
Some driving impressions for anyone in the market for these vehicles or struggling to decide between a MB wagon vs. SUV. I've owned the E500 wagon and G500 for 3 years prior to trading the G500 for the GL550. A disclaimer lest I be flamed: These are purly subjective opinions based on ownership, using the vehicles for commuting, transporting 2 small children, and extended trips. Some of the comments herein reflect the differences intrinsic amongst passenger cars and SUVs. First the synopsis:

Overall Build quality: E500 wagon
Interior material quality: E500 wagon
Utility: GL550
Best daily driver/ utility combo: E500 wagon
Long distance favorite: GL550
Most fun to drive: E500 wagon
Best fuel consumption: E500 wagon

Now for the specifics:

While the E500 version is no longer available in the U.S. the overall performance characteristics are not significantly different than the current E350 wagon with 7-speed transmission. This car is more characteristic of what a European sport sedan and an MB should entail in regards to build quality, materials, and driveability especially handling and braking. The car has limited 7-passenger capability. Interior noise level actually greater than the GL550. Ride is also firmer which aids handling. Throttle and braking are more in-line with the car's power. This vehicle has had no issues in snow up to 10 inches (car can also be raised). In short, for a true MB driving experience, luxury, and practicality this is my favorite at the expense of some utility. Load capacity is actually quite good for 90% of uses but we have a Thule box for those extra items. Incidentally, the entire system is compatable with the GL. If off-roading or towing is in the menu all bets are off!

The G500 is unique. Generous cargo capacity but inegress and egress are impractical especially with small children. Wife afraid to drive since it really does behave like a tank. Steering is heavy and braking is suboptimal for city traffic. I personally loved it as a daily work commuter, but would not favor for extended trips or family use. Road noise is high, the ride is like a truck (not unexpected!), towing capacity somewhat limited. Unstoppable in any weather condition though I honestly used the diff locks on one occasion and this was likely overkill. Arguably the most unique road presence if that's your thing.

The GL550 is perhaps the best blend of the aforementioned cars. I have driven many SUVs and this is certainly one of the most sedan-like. Power is excellent, handling is reasonably good though there is an element of body lean. Braking is also good but would prefer a firmer pedal feel and perhaps larger rotors. I find steering to be a bit light especially at higher speeds. I am most disappointed with the interior build materials. The vehicle is excellent within the class but amongst MB products is not great. The leather and plastic components have a cheaper look and feel. Certainly the best for long-distance cruising. Excellent load carrying and towing. Winter driving yet to be determined though I do not expect any suprises.

Thats all folks! Let the beatings begin...
Good honest look at the three options. I have owned the wagons in the past and never a G or anykind of SUV. If the E class wagon had a diesel option I would be driving it now instead of the GL550. Having come from a S550 (many think I am nuts) I am very pleased with my first SUV and the ride. I agree with your handling comments to a tee and would have liked to see a "softer" interior treatment but am not disappointed with the current one. All in all a great ride and I am truly surprised at the quietness and smoothness of the ride.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:58 PM

MB
Absolutely true NJ.

The quietness and smoothness in this large a vehicle is certainly a feat, I find myself not infrequently at triple digit speeds as a result!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Absolutely true NJ.

The quietness and smoothness in this large a vehicle is certainly a feat, I find myself not infrequently at triple digit speeds as a result!
I have not quite reached the triple digits but have come close...I am sure I will see them eventually. Once it gets cruising it is hard to really tell how fast your are moving....:-)
Old 10-07-2007, 03:41 PM

2014 GL 450
Absolutely true NJ.

Driving home last night, my husband said he wished it had some type of alarm system to warn you when you exceed a certain speed. He's routinely gone over 90 and not known it.

My SIL had an older BMW that had a feature where you could set an alarm to chime when you hit a certain speed (she enabled this feature after her 3rd speeding ticket!).
Old 10-07-2007, 03:47 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
This 550 just has so much power on demand for a suv!!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:35 PM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Coming from an 04 Range Rover(which I traded for my GL550) and a 00 Lexus LX470(which I still own;even today not one rattle in the vehicle) I don't think the interior quality is that bad. I can't compare with other MB products for this is my first but overall I'm very pleased with the interior.Honestly the GL wasn't my first choice, I actually had ordered a 08 A8.But once i test drove the 550, I thought it was a great combination of performance,ride, quality and practicality.Oh yeah, I also thought it looked awesome.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I have not quite reached the triple digits but have come close...I am sure I will see them eventually. Once it gets cruising it is hard to really tell how fast your are moving....:-)
Ain't that the truth. I have a human alarm (wife) that chimes when I am going too fast. However, in the GL, even she can't feel how fast we are going and won't chime
Old 10-07-2007, 06:34 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by oknish
Ain't that the truth. I have a human alarm (wife) that chimes when I am going too fast. However, in the GL, even she can't feel how fast we are going and won't chime
"Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are."
Old 10-07-2007, 09:32 PM

MB
Originally Posted by oknish
Hey! I've got one of those!

The audible speed warning in the Porsche has saved my bacon many times. The wife version is more of a shreik followed by a nag even after speed has normalized. Can't tell you how often I've cleared 100 mph+ just getting on the highway. Need to find lighter shoes (or earplugs)...

Last edited by emayer; 10-07-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I'd have an E-class wagon rather than a GL if

MBUSA would import diesel models
MBUSA would work a trailer towing solution.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:35 PM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by axchung
Honestly the GL wasn't my first choice, I actually had ordered a 08 A8.But once i test drove the 550, I thought it was a great combination of performance,ride, quality and practicality.Oh yeah, I also thought it looked awesome.
I also almost ordered an 08 A8 as well. Then the new car morphed from being my daily driver (to replace a 2001 BMW 540i) into the new family car (to replace our 01 Odyssey). Luckily my wife let's me drive it when she's not carpooling, and now we have two nice German makes in the garage instead of one. The A8 is nice, but as you remarked, it does not possess the full range of virtues of the GL550.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
My SIL had an older BMW that had a feature where you could set an alarm to chime when you hit a certain speed (she enabled this feature after her 3rd speeding ticket!).

My wife did that to me in the 2nd week of owning her A6 back in Feb. of '05. I about flipped out. She just laughed her head off!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:20 PM

Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
Nevada Jack, I am with you 100% give us a diesel E-Class wagon - that would ROCK!!!!!

Good honest look at the three options. I have owned the wagons in the past and never a G or anykind of SUV. If the E class wagon had a diesel option I would be driving it now instead of the GL550. Having come from a S550 (many think I am nuts) I am very pleased with my first SUV and the ride. I agree with your handling comments to a tee and would have liked to see a "softer" interior treatment but am not disappointed with the current one. All in all a great ride and I am truly surprised at the quietness and smoothness of the ride.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:38 PM

MB
Originally Posted by Jlight
Nevada Jack, I am with you 100% give us a diesel E-Class wagon - that would ROCK!!!!!
I love the idea as well although... Can't but think about a 4-matic AMG wagon. Family truckster indeed!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:12 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
If the E class wagon had a diesel option I would be driving it now instead of the GL550.

Agree with NJ. This would be especially true in a AWD diesel wagon, which is offered abroad, but not in the US.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by axchung
I can't compare with other MB products for this is my first but overall I'm very pleased with the interior.
Same here. I've never owned a Benz before, but I've test driven all manner of current E-class and S-class vehicles. I'm curious to know how the GL suffers in this comparison. Other than the leather being less than supple (probably a reasonable choice given the family/ute mission), interior quality is excellent IMO. The dash and door surfaces are nicely cushioned, the dash has that beautiful stitching that exceeds that of even the S550, and fit/finish are flawless in my vehicle.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
Originally Posted by sraj
Same here. I've never owned a Benz before, but I've test driven all manner of current E-class and S-class vehicles. I'm curious to know how the GL suffers in this comparison. Other than the leather being less than supple (probably a reasonable choice given the family/ute mission), interior quality is excellent IMO. The dash and door surfaces are nicely cushioned, the dash has that beautiful stitching that exceeds that of even the S550, and fit/finish are flawless in my vehicle.
I have to say that the quality feels excellent in mine as well!!
With no flaws!

Everything just feels really tight and solid!!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 PM

gl450
Raj and Axchung

I have the best of both worlds.... see sig...lol
Although I envy the look of the 550
Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by knepster
Raj and Axchung

I have the best of both worlds.... see sig...lol
Although I envy the look of the 550
I really like the A8...the upcoming version with the MLP architecture might be my next car.