GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

installing chrome hood fins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL 320CDI
installing chrome hood fins

To SteveThePilot or others who have installed the chrome hood fins, just curious to learn if you did install them over "moist" black fins that are already on the vehicle, and as the written directions suggest? Not sure why they have to be moist. It seems that installing them (w/3M tape) over a moist substance would not allow the new fins to adhere properly or at all.

Comments? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Originally Posted by JDT1
To SteveThePilot or others who have installed the chrome hood fins, just curious to learn if you did install them over "moist" black fins that are already on the vehicle, and as the written directions suggest? Not sure why they have to be moist. It seems that installing them (w/3M tape) over a moist substance would not allow the new fins to adhere properly or at all.

Comments? Thanks.
I actually did moisten the black fins a little with a damp rag prior to putting my chrome fins on. I think the idea is that it allows you to slide them around a bit prior to them "setting" for good. Mine are still in the same place I put them six months later.......I really did not see a need to do it either but it does allow a little flexibility in positioning them as the tape is really sticky.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by JDT1

Comments? Thanks.
Go to the topic https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=chrome+fins Post #28, Stevethepilot did a nice step-by-step with photos. Moistening something with adhesive is a common practice like signs and graphics. It does allow some movement instead of the adhesive sticking immediately upon first contact. Notice the time frames before driving and washing, after the install.

I received mine on Monday and will put them on this weekend.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
I actually did moisten the black fins a little with a damp rag prior to putting my chrome fins on. I think the idea is that it allows you to slide them around a bit prior to them "setting" for good. Mine are still in the same place I put them six months later.......I really did not see a need to do it either but it does allow a little flexibility in positioning them as the tape is really sticky.

ditto.........that's the way I did mine back in June and they are still there!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:08 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
OK, thanks for your confirmation on how to do this and also to scottybdiving and blittle for their's as well. I'll be doing my install tomorrow.