GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

sheepskin seat inserts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
sheepskin seat inserts

Does anyone have them? know the price? have an opinion?

Since we didn't get ventilated seats, I'm thinking of doing them....
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey

Don't know much about the inserts but they definitely tweaked my interest. I am a big fan of sheepskin covers and have a custom taylored set in my Silverado LTZ. Yes, I prefer them over the leather because they are cool in the summer and warm in the winter and they feel so good.

The only concern I have for the inserts is that as they get worn, you can't rotate them like you can the covers. I am the only one in my truck, 99% of the time and the driver's seat gets a lot more wear. Therefore, I will roate the covers about every 6 months.

My wife is hinting strongly that she would like to have them in the GL 320.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:16 PM

GL550
I think I'll get them. I'll post and let you know what I think and maybe figure out how to post a pic!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP

I have actually been talked out of them by two different parts guys. They say they're just inserts that go over the center of the back and the seat, and they apparantly don't fit very well. Something very un-Mercedes about them, I guess. Seriously, if these guys have talked me out of the huge price tag on these pups, they must be tired of getting them back from unsatisfied customers.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I have actually been talked out of them by two different parts guys. They say they're just inserts that go over the center of the back and the seat, and they apparantly don't fit very well. Something very un-Mercedes about them, I guess. Seriously, if these guys have talked me out of the huge price tag on these pups, they must be tired of getting them back from unsatisfied customers.
I am a little skeptical about the inserts. Sheepskin seat covers are excellent, especially in a warm climate. I have had them on my last 3 trucks. I do not require the leather seats that came with my Silverado LTZ, but wanted all the other options. They are just not practical in a vehicle that you are in and out of all day long, in 100+ degree weather. The sheepskin is unbelievably cool and comfortable. For some reason it does not absorb the heat from your body or from the ambient temperature, and allows moisture to dissipate. You can rotate them to make them wear evenly, or remove them during certain times of the year.

These guys have been around for a while and I am pleased with their quality. Rocky Mountain Sheepskin

Last edited by scottybdiving; 11-06-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
These guys have been around for a while and I am pleased with their quality. Rocky Mountain Sheepskin
Thanks for the link!

Yes, I too live in a hot climate and have spent countless summers with a towel on my front seat because the seat is too hot/sticky! I wanted something classier looking for the GL...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the link!

Yes, I too live in a hot climate and have spent countless summers with a towel on my front seat because the seat is too hot/sticky! I wanted something classier looking for the GL...
You will definitely be happier with fit of the Tailormade than the customs, plus the material is a little better quality.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
You will definitely be happier with fit of the Tailormade than the customs, plus the material is a little better quality.
Ok, great....I'm strongly considering these over the MB option....
Old 11-07-2007, 04:48 PM

BMW 335 Conv.; MB GL 320CDI
Does anyone know how the inserts attach to the seat. I think they are a more elegant approach in the GL than a full cover, but I do not want to see elastic bands or other connections around the headrest. I also was told by my dealer that they have to be installed by the dealer because of the active head restraints
Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 PM

GL550
My dealer's parts guy was not enthusiastic about them when I asked about them today.

He recommended custom tailored full size ones.

He said he would not take the MB ones back if I didn't like them.

I think I'll probably go with the Rocky Mountain brand that scottybdiving recommended...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:41 AM

2013 GL 450
I'm goin to give them a shot also. Thanks Scotty
Old 11-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by patsy1099
I'm goin to give them a shot also. Thanks Scotty
Nice. Whoever gets them first needs to post some photos. Santa may be bringing a set for my wife's GL 320. (I don't think she has found this site)

Be sure to ask them to send some samples unless you are sure which color you need. They will do so gladly. We have the Mac interior and "Camel" seems to work best. I was hoping "Mushroom" would match the darker color on the dash and trim but it didn't work.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 AM

2013 GL 450
Scotty/Chicky, did you get the covers yet for the GL? I am looking to pull the trigger so I have them by the time my GL arrives. I have a few ques., any thoughts?
1.) with black interior, would you go with black covers? sounds silly but if the black isn't a good match, it might be better to go with a contrast. I will ask them for a sample.
2.) what do you think about the armrest and console covers?
3.) I'm guessing the headrest option wouldn't work if you have the RSE. Is that true. Any comments on headrest covers?
Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Scotty/Chicky, did you get the covers yet for the GL? I am looking to pull the trigger so I have them by the time my GL arrives. I have a few ques., any thoughts?
1.) with black interior, would you go with black covers? sounds silly but if the black isn't a good match, it might be better to go with a contrast. I will ask them for a sample.
2.) what do you think about the armrest and console covers?
3.) I'm guessing the headrest option wouldn't work if you have the RSE. Is that true. Any comments on headrest covers?
Thanks
Definitely get them to send samples. Once I received my samples, the colors that I thought would work, were not the best choice.

I would like the console cover but my Silverado has a tray built into the middle of it and it would be a tough fit. It looks like it would work fine with the GL. My wife really likes the sheepskin seat belt cover. She says it helps to reduce wrinkling.

The headrest covers are excellent. I think the only issue is whether you have the entertainment system or not. I'm not sure they could fit them around that.
Attached Thumbnails sheepskin seat inserts-dscf0819_web.jpg   sheepskin seat inserts-dscf0822_web.jpg  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:39 AM

2013 GL 450
OK I finally got around to ordering samples. I have decided not to go with the covers. I didn't think the pile was going to be so high on these. From the pics they appeared to be engineered with a tighter pile. These samples are way too shaggy for my taste. Plus I struggled with the idea of covering up that beautiful leather. They do look like they'd be pretty damn comfy though.

Hmmmm, maybe if they came in Chrome?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha

Hmmmm, maybe if they came in Chrome?
Sorry patsy...can't help you with that one...
Old 11-24-2007, 10:59 AM

GL450, 99 Road King
Same here Chicky, my parts guys kinda said...Are you sure you want these? Most people don't like them!!