GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Electrical Meltdown in my GL320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Electrical Meltdown in my GL320

So there I am today, driving along, bothering no one. Suddenly, the rear door windows roll down on their own and the brake and battery lights come on. The right rear window starts to roll up very slowly on its own. The radio/COMAND starts flashing on and off and the temperature gauge reads +185 degrees. The blinkers start to flash on their own, and then I get error messages stating the ESP has failed, the right front ABS has failed, and the Hill Descent Control has failed. The climate control starts to flash on and off. Then the rear right door starts to smoke. Next the engine stumbles. Now I call Tele-Aid, and they put me through to the dealer. The car dies in the middle of the road and I coast to a stop on a side street. The smoke smell really gets bad now, with smoke coming from the dash and the left rear window. The rear (third row) windows open on their own. I'm still on the phone with the dealer and they want to know where I am. I hop out and get the exact corner. Luckily the car starts up again, and I make it to the dealer.

The service advisor gets in and is concerned about all the smoke. He turns the key and takes it out of the ignition switch, but the car keeps running...Now the lead service supervisor comes out, opens the hood and sees smoke. He comes back with another guy who takes out a panel under the right front seat to make the windows quit smoking. Then they take off a panel under the hood, pull a plug and the engine quits.

I don't know much about cars, but this doesn't sound good. And I have had such good luck in the first 15000 miles with my GL. What do you think?

The good part is they gave me a C230 to drive, and the "check engine" light is on in the loaner!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by oinick
So there I am today, driving along, bothering no one. Suddenly, the rear door windows roll down on their own and the brake and battery lights come on. The right rear window starts to roll up very slowly on its own. The radio/COMAND starts flashing on and off and the temperature gauge reads +185 degrees. The blinkers start to flash on their own, and then I get error messages stating the ESP has failed, the right front ABS has failed, and the Hill Descent Control has failed. The climate control starts to flash on and off. Then the rear right door starts to smoke. Next the engine stumbles. Now I call Tele-Aid, and they put me through to the dealer. The car dies in the middle of the road and I coast to a stop on a side street. The smoke smell really gets bad now, with smoke coming from the dash and the left rear window. The rear (third row) windows open on their own. I'm still on the phone with the dealer and they want to know where I am. I hop out and get the exact corner. Luckily the car starts up again, and I make it to the dealer.

The service advisor gets in and is concerned about all the smoke. He turns the key and takes it out of the ignition switch, but the car keeps running...Now the lead service supervisor comes out, opens the hood and sees smoke. He comes back with another guy who takes out a panel under the right front seat to make the windows quit smoking. Then they take off a panel under the hood, pull a plug and the engine quits.

I don't know much about cars, but this doesn't sound good. And I have had such good luck in the first 15000 miles with my GL. What do you think?

The good part is they gave me a C230 to drive, and the "check engine" light is on in the loaner!

Scary.. Hope it is not anything major.. good luck. Seems you have a wiring harness which is shorted or grounded someplace
Old 11-15-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Oinick,

That is truly remarkable and frightening at the same time. Thank goodness you were able to get to a dealer. I couldn't imagine this happening during a road trip somewhere, out in the middle of nowhere.

Let us know how it turns out. Certainly sounds like something went critically wrong today for sure.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
You may be in the C230 for quite a while. It sounds like your car had a major electrical meltdown of the wiring harness in multiple places. Let us know what they say.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Sorry to hear that, oinick. Glad to hear that you are safe. Hope all will turn out to be well. Do keep us posted.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:42 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
WOW - that does not sound good. Thank goodness you got to safety!

Now I wonder if I have been experiencing a very mild version of this... I have smelled metal burning upon exiting the truck a couple times in the last 2 weeks - no smoke though...I sniffed around the engine compartment and brakes, etc. Could not isolate where it was coming from... I sure hope this is not connected. But I am headed to the dealer tomorrow!!

Oinick - If you can post what the issue was when you find out I'd be very interested to hear.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
*****...at 11,200 miles and counting with no real issues (i have new intercooler hoses) this is not good news...please keep us posted and good luck...dealer owes you a good deal on a new model if you want it (subsidized by MBUSA of course)...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Your battery is under passenger seat and it's pretty obvious to disconnect it in such circumstances.

Since CDI diesels have electric fuel pumps, this should have stopped the engine, too.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 AM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Damned disturbing problem - to say the least. With all those electrical malfunctions I'm very surprised that you managed to limp the GL into the dealership.

Obviously very curious to hear what caused this issue.

Last edited by ReachWest; 11-16-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:57 AM

E320 & GL450
The emergency electrical stop is to pull the fuse #120 I think. (this is from aged memory ) It should also disable the 320, but I have not investigated the actual circuit. Butemergency stop is covered in the manual and may be useful to know!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:47 PM

Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
Please keep is posted. I am considering a 2008 GL 320 so when you have a update, please post!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Jlight
Please keep is posted. I am considering a 2008 GL 320 so when you have a update, please post!
Not that this isn't a really big deal (it is!) but I'd look more towards all the other satisfied GL owners here than the one with the exploding car, when making your decision. Yes, we're all watching this but no, we don't think this is something we're all going to experience.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Not that this isn't a really big deal (it is!) but I'd look more towards all the other satisfied GL owners here than the one with the exploding car, when making your decision. Yes, we're all watching this but no, we don't think this is something we're all going to experience.
I agree. I was waiting for the car to be fully repaired but I have gotten a lot of private messages of concern about my GL.

Here's an update. I had hoped it would be ready by Thanksgiving, but we are waiting for some kind of computer control unit to arrive from the Fatherland. Other than that, it is puported to be repaired.

You may recall that the power liftgate failed about two weeks ago and I have been having to muscle the tailgate up and down. Also the dealer found that a sunroof drain (I have never heard of such before) had not been connected at the factory.

Anyway, we had a huge rainstorm last week, and somehow, without getting the passenger compartment wet, water made an ingress to the area below the spare tire that holds many electrical components. Not surprisingly, this caused a bunch of them to short out. The dealer doesn't really know where the water came from, and apparently were very surprised to find it at the bottom of the car since the seats and carpets did not get wet.

They have repaired the power liftgate and added some kind of water repelling gasket to the inside of the hatch and they have connected the sunroof drain. In retrospect, I have noted previously when the sunroof is opened a day or two after a rainstorm that a little trickle of water will land in my lap.

I think the dealer has responded well to this so far and hope it is repaired correctly so that my overall positive impression of my GL after this episode is not diminished.

I will post again after the dealer returns the car to me.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 AM

2014 GL 450
Glad to hear your dealership is doing well for you. What a freak thing to have happen. Hopefully, they have identified the cause and it has been fixed.

My first new car was a 1986 Honda Accord. I bought a Honda because everybody told me how reliable they were. Truly everything that could possibly go wrong or break on that car, did. The dealership was good about fixing everything and my next car in 1992 was another Honda (and another one in 2005!).

So, while there may be initial problems, to me, how the dealership handles these problems makes a huge difference.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
oinick - I hope it all works out. Water is never a friend inside of a car. I hope they found a way to drain any remaining water out so you don't have a further issue...

Happy Thanksgiving.

BJ
Old 11-21-2007, 06:59 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
oinick, It looks like your on the road to recovery which is good news!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 AM

2013 GL 450
Glad to hear the dealer is doing the right thing, that makes all the difference (MB) world.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI

I think the dealer has responded well to this so far and hope it is repaired correctly so that my overall positive impression of my GL after this episode is not diminished.

I hope they have you in a really nice loaner, not some Enterprise rental B/S??
Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
XJ9

C350
I agree. I was waiting for the car to be fully repaired but I have gotten a lot of private messages of concern about my GL.

Here's an update. I had hoped it would be ready by Thanksgiving, but we are waiting for some kind of computer control unit to arrive from the Fatherland. Other than that, it is puported to be repaired.

You may recall that the power liftgate failed about two weeks ago and I have been having to muscle the tailgate up and down. Also the dealer found that a sunroof drain (I have never heard of such before) had not been connected at the factory.

Anyway, we had a huge rainstorm last week, and somehow, without getting the passenger compartment wet, water made an ingress to the area below the spare tire that holds many electrical components. Not surprisingly, this caused a bunch of them to short out. The dealer doesn't really know where the water came from, and apparently were very surprised to find it at the bottom of the car since the seats and carpets did not get wet.

They have repaired the power liftgate and added some kind of water repelling gasket to the inside of the hatch and they have connected the sunroof drain. In retrospect, I have noted previously when the sunroof is opened a day or two after a rainstorm that a little trickle of water will land in my lap.

i have seen this same issue occur with an R class but the affected area was under the 2nd row floor. On the R the floor has pull up panels and underneath is a little area where a bunch of modules are located. The issue is that since its so low in the vehicle (maybe 8 inches off the ground) there is always the possibility of water getting in and sometimes it does.

When you figure in the prospect that all vehicle components are now networked you get a situation like yours where water on even one module can take down the entire network.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Also the dealer found that a sunroof drain (I have never heard of such before) had not been connected at the factory.
Yeah, such a thing does exist. In my antique Caddy the various drains you'd never think of would rot or move and that's how body panels got rusted (as it was a California/Arizona car, it wasn't from salted roads but from the inside, which is much more insidious).

Keep us posted!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5

Keep us posted!
Still waiting for the module to arrive from the Fatherland. Still no coherent reason why it can't come from Vance, which is only 150 miles down the road.

As for the rental, it was "some Enterprise b.s.", but at least it is a Mercedes. I feel no pressing need to take it in with the "check engine" light on, as it seems to run okay.

Hopefully I will get the GL back this week, as it is in the U.S. now. I will post and let you know how the repair went.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:49 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Still waiting for the module to arrive from the Fatherland. Still no coherent reason why it can't come from Vance, which is only 150 miles down the road.

As for the rental, it was "some Enterprise b.s.", but at least it is a Mercedes. I feel no pressing need to take it in with the "check engine" light on, as it seems to run okay.

Hopefully I will get the GL back this week, as it is in the U.S. now. I will post and let you know how the repair went.
Hang in there oinick, I had to wait 6 weeks for parts when my C55 was being repaired. Hopefully you won't have to wait that long but I heard they ship them via the slowest courier, i.e. ship vs air.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
In my antique Caddy the various drains you'd never think of would rot or move and that's how body panels got rusted....

Keep us posted!

GL is back and in good shape. There was more extensive electrical damage than I was lead to believe at first. It turns out that the module the dealer was waiting for from Germany was the "mac - daddy" computer. The dealer had already replaced many components but found more needed replacing when the new computer was put in. It took just a day short of two weeks to get the car back but I can say that it seems to be appropriately repaired.

The cause of the leak was probably through the sunroof drain that never got hooked up. However, and interestingly, the first thing to go out was the electronic control on the liftgate, which was among the most wet of the parts that got replaced. It is possible that there was an insidious leak through the liftgate all along that set the whole chain of events off. The dealer is being honest that they cannot say for sure what the cause of the leak was, only that there was a surprising amount of water in compartments that are not seen by the normal person.

They connected the sunroof drain, added a water repelling gasket to the rear hatch area, and fixed the power liftgate. Then they aggressively leak tested the car with a power sprayer, with no ingress of water.

I would have to give the dealer two thumbs up for its handling of this. And I am really glad to have my GL back -- that little C230 was wearing me out!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 PM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
I'm glad to hear that everything is back in order!

It certainly sounds like the dealer made every effort to repair the problem, and was pretty straight-forward with you about the details. I've had past experiences with GM dealers that will remain nameless, where it seems that my truck just went away into a black hole, and I heard nothing until they were ready to bill me.

On a side note, I wonder if they report issues like this back to the factory for quality control. I sure hope they do...
Old 11-30-2007, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Glad to hear that you are back in your GL, oinick. Dealers can make all the difference and it sounds like you have a great one.

Commander - every time an MB goes into the shop, they do an exhaustive write up (aka "story") on what it came in for. Then any codes found in the car are matched to the story and then all the data goes back to Ma Benz for further analysis. That is what then give birth to the TSB/recalls etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electrical Meltdown in my GL320