GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Crome hood fins and fog light trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by MoTorque
Did you have to explain to them to chrome only the circular opening and the two side stripes and leave the rest of the rectangle black, or they already knew what is needed. Thanks!
I left very explicit instructions to leave the backing w/the "honeycomb" design that matches the rest of the grill, in it's black form. The circle and side bars are the only areas to be chromed. I sent a detailed note with the surrounds and sent them a picture of my vehicle as it looks now, and a picture of another GL with the chrome finish to reflect what I'm trying to achieve. I also explained the difference between the round circle in the black surround, and the oval shaped circle in the chromed version (cornering foglamp). It will be interesting to see how it turns out. As mentioned before, pics will be forthcoming.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Originally Posted by JDT1
I left very explicit instructions to leave the backing w/the "honeycomb" design that matches the rest of the grill, in it's black form. The circle and side bars are the only areas to be chromed. I sent a detailed note with the surrounds and sent them a picture of my vehicle as it looks now, and a picture of another GL with the chrome finish to reflect what I'm trying to achieve. I also explained the difference between the round circle in the black surround, and the oval shaped circle in the chromed version (cornering foglamp). It will be interesting to see how it turns out. As mentioned before, pics will be forthcoming.
Excellent! Can't wait to see how it comes out.
How much did you pay for the two regular black covers that were sent to the chroming house?
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
Excellent! Can't wait to see how it comes out.
How much did you pay for the two regular black covers that were sent to the chroming house?
Thanks!
At my local MB dealer, they were only $14.95 each. The part numbers are:
164-885-11-23 and 164-885-12-23.

Wow, with this post, I just realized I am now a bonafide member. I guess I am now legal. Thanks folks with putting up with most of my wordy posts.

Last edited by JDT1; 12-17-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Welcome MEMBER!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:52 PM

'08 GL320 CDI, '10 Range Rover HSE
Can't wait to hear how the crome job turns out. Please post detailed pics. I will probably copy what you do
Old 12-19-2007, 04:25 PM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
I went at a local chroming house (there are tons here in southern California) to show the black part and the original MB chromed part (from cornering fog lights) and they said that they did it for somebody else and it did not out clean at the edges (they said something about nickel burn and residual deposit). Some black paint had to be used to cover the nickel residu. The MB chromed parts are a two piece assembly: the black base + the chromed stripes with oval opening.
Installing the oval chromed piece over the round leaves an opening of about 1" on the dide towards the fender, which looks very bad. The fog light is also recesed about 0.25" - 0.5" from the cover surface.
I decided to try and install the cornering fog lights and use the oval chromed covers (they are bigger and bolder) without the cornering motor functionality.
I took the round fog out last night (it is secured by 3 star screws) and it seems a very simple opration. There are additional holes that appear to be for the oval fog lamp. I am still investigating a few details to make sure it will work with my bumper and will let you know the results. (please excuse my typos since my postings are done quickly on an iPhone).
Old 12-20-2007, 11:58 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
I went at a local chroming house (there are tons here in southern California) to show the black part and the original MB chromed part (from cornering fog lights) and they said that they did it for somebody else and it did not out clean at the edges (they said something about nickel burn and residual deposit). Some black paint had to be used to cover the nickel residu. The MB chromed parts are a two piece assembly: the black base + the chromed stripes with oval opening.
Installing the oval chromed piece over the round leaves an opening of about 1" on the dide towards the fender, which looks very bad. The fog light is also recesed about 0.25" - 0.5" from the cover surface.
I decided to try and install the cornering fog lights and use the oval chromed covers (they are bigger and bolder) without the cornering motor functionality.
I took the round fog out last night (it is secured by 3 star screws) and it seems a very simple opration. There are additional holes that appear to be for the oval fog lamp. I am still investigating a few details to make sure it will work with my bumper and will let you know the results. (please excuse my typos since my postings are done quickly on an iPhone).
Mo, I am very curious to hear what you find out. I gave some thought to doing what you are doing, and also investigated whether or not there would be a plain oval light (not cornering) available by an aftermarket company that would fit into the existing socket. I couldn't find anyone who thought either idea would really work, so I dropped it. When do you expect to know if the cornering light will still work without the cornering functionality, and if its chrome cover (surround) will work too? I may hold my chroming company off for a short while until I hear about your outcome. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 PM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Mo, I am very curious to hear what you find out. I gave some thought to doing what you are doing, and also investigated whether or not there would be a plain oval light (not cornering) available by an aftermarket company that would fit into the existing socket. I couldn't find anyone who thought either idea would really work, so I dropped it. When do you expect to know if the cornering light will still work without the cornering functionality, and if its chrome cover (surround) will work too? I may hold my chroming company off for a short while until I hear about your outcome. Thanks.
JDT1, I just ordered the MB OEM parts today (front & rear skid plates, chrome & cornering fog lights and the chromed rear plate to replace the black plastic one by the tailgate on top of the rear bumper). I took a look and they all seem very easy to install (the tailgate chrome rear plate is very nicely documented on here by boxboss if you already have the black plastic one) and will definitely report in for duty with the results as soon as I get it done. I wish I was more patient and waited to find a car with the desired int/ext color combo + the 19" package, which is better if ordered from the factory. I estimate the chrome fog light will be a 30-45 minutes job (I already installed the HID lights the first day).
Old 12-21-2007, 04:05 PM

GL550
JDT1, I just ordered the MB OEM parts today (front & rear skid plates, chrome & cornering fog lights and the chromed rear plate to replace the black plastic one by the tailgate on top of the rear bumper). I took a look and they all seem very easy to install (the tailgate chrome rear plate is very nicely documented on here by boxboss if you already have the black plastic one) and will definitely report in for duty with the results as soon as I get it done. I wish I was more patient and waited to find a car with the desired int/ext color combo + the 19" package, which is better if ordered from the factory. I estimate the chrome fog light will be a 30-45 minutes job (I already installed the HID lights the first day).
Did you install H7 replacements or HID?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
Mo - what is the part # for the chrome rear bumper plate? Where did you order the part?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:19 PM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Originally Posted by cablvr
Mo - what is the part # for the chrome rear bumper plate? Where did you order the part?
The part number is 164-880-02-11 (I found it in a posting by boxboss where he did a great job documenting the installation in one of his postings).

$145.53 is the best price I found at MercedesPartsPeople.com
Old 12-21-2007, 05:26 PM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Did you install H7 replacements or HID?
I installed real HID (Phillips Power Supplies and Phillips Ultinon D2S Bulbs) using the original H7 headlight (I had to modify the bulb base to fit the H7).

The 2008 models are ESN (Electronic Serial Number) coded and they cannot be re-coded to include accessories like HID, but fortunately the HID lights are working without any re-coding.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:41 PM

GL550
I installed real HID (Phillips Power Supplies and Phillips Ultinon D2S Bulbs) using the original H7 headlight (I had to modify the bulb base to fit the H7).

The 2008 models are ESN (Electronic Serial Number) coded and they cannot be re-coded to include accessories like HID, but fortunately the HID lights are working without any re-coding.
Good job, I bet others would like to upgrade to HID.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:29 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
Thanks, Mo, for the info. I'm looking forward to hearing how everything turns out. BTW, when you get the time, would you please write again with the part numbers, price and where purchased for the cornering fog lamps and the chrome trim for the new fog lamps? As for the chrome, rear bumper plate, is boxboss the one who modified the chrome plate by removing all the tabs (since they don't line up with the existing holes in the bumper? Also, for installation purposes, didn't he use double faced tape on the chrome plate, and then placed the new plate over the existing holes in the bumper? Have you found out if the warranties on the vehicle stay intact, with all the modifications you are performing?
Old 12-22-2007, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
As for the chrome, rear bumper plate, is boxboss the one who modified the chrome plate by removing all the tabs (since they don't line up with the existing holes in the bumper? Also, for installation purposes, didn't he use double faced tape on the chrome plate, and then placed the new plate over the existing holes in the bumper? Have you found out if the warranties on the vehicle stay intact, with all the modifications you are performing?
Yeah, boxboss did remove his black factory installed plate on his 450 and replaced it with the chrome plate. Check his posts and you will find very detailed instructions and pics on how to do it. I don't think it will cause any issues with warranty. If you don't tell the dealer they will never know that you changed plates
Old 12-22-2007, 08:56 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Thanks, Mo, for the info. I'm looking forward to hearing how everything turns out. BTW, when you get the time, would you please write again with the part numbers, price and where purchased for the cornering fog lamps and the chrome trim for the new fog lamps? As for the chrome, rear bumper plate, is boxboss the one who modified the chrome plate by removing all the tabs (since they don't line up with the existing holes in the bumper? Also, for installation purposes, didn't he use double faced tape on the chrome plate, and then placed the new plate over the existing holes in the bumper? Have you found out if the warranties on the vehicle stay intact, with all the modifications you are performing?
Yes, boxboss has documened the rear bumper tailgate chrome plate installation (the double sided tape is not needed if the fit is very tight) The only piece that will not have warranty is the chrome plate, because of the removed tabs (not all tabs have to be removed, only the additional ones that do not have coresponding slots in the rear bumper).
The chromed fog light covers are the ones I got from you (164-880-07-24 & 164-880-08-24, thank you) and I am waiting to receive confirmation for the cornering fog lights part number (the MercedesPartsPeople.com have listed price of about $81, but no part number). I will post all the details once I receive the parts.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:56 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
Yes, boxboss has documened the rear bumper tailgate chrome plate installation (the double sided tape is not needed if the fit is very tight) The only piece that will not have warranty is the chrome plate, because of the removed tabs (not all tabs have to be removed, only the additional ones that do not have coresponding slots in the rear bumper).
The chromed fog light covers are the ones I got from you (164-880-07-24 & 164-880-08-24, thank you) and I am waiting to receive confirmation for the cornering fog lights part number (the MercedesPartsPeople.com have listed price of about $81, but no part number). I will post all the details once I receive the parts.

Hey Mo, just curious on what the latest is with your efforts to changeout the fog lamps in favor of the cornering fogs w/chrome surrounds? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 PM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Hey Mo, just curious on what the latest is with your efforts to changeout the fog lamps in favor of the cornering fogs w/chrome surrounds? Thanks.
Hi JDT1,

I did not receive the parts yet (things are very slow this time of year). Next week delivery it may be too optimistical, but I should have them the 2nd week of January.
I will definitely let you know. Until then wish you a Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:02 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Hi JDT1,

I did not receive the parts yet (things are very slow this time of year). Next week delivery it may be too optimistical, but I should have them the 2nd week of January.
I will definitely let you know. Until then wish you a Happy New Year!!!
Thanks for the well wishes and Happy New Year to you too, and to everyone else out there. Stay safe and sober tomorrow night. I know....what fun is that? I'll look forward to hearing back from you, MoTorque, when everything has arrived and is installed. BTW, sorry to hear about the difficulty you reported in another thread. Hope it's getting straightened out.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Hi JDT1,

Hope that you and everyone else had an awesome New Years Eve.

I received the parts today (missing the chrome screws for the front and rear skid plates) and will try to install the fog lights tonight.
Will let you how it went.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Chrome Fog Lights Installed - PICS #1-5

The operation of replacing the all-black fog lights with the chrome ones is pretty simple. First two pictures are a side by side comparison of the fog lamps and fog lamp covers (sorry for the pics quality, but I could not find the camera charger quickly so I used the iPhone). Here are the main six steps:

1. Remove the all-black fog lamp cover by pulling with your hand (no tool is needed for this step) from the side closer to the front wheel. The cover has a somewhat tight pressed fit, but is a non-destructive removal so pull until is released and it will look similar to pic #3 (after removal it can be re-installed by pressing its tabs in the bumper latches if you change your mind).

2. Get your TORX screwdiver set and take #25 to remove the three screws that secure the fog lamp. After removing the screws disconnect the connector attached to the fog lamp bulb by releasing the two side clamps (if the fog lamp body mass is pulling on the wires and makes it difficult, you can try detaching the bulb from the fog lamp by twisting its base counter-clockwise, after which it will be easier to disconnect the connector). See pic. #4.

3. Remove the three metalic clips that act as screw taps.

4. Trim the bumper around the fog light to make room for the new larger cornering fog light. The wall is very thin so you can use some cutting pliers (that is what I used), or a Dremel or small jigsaw if you want a cleaner look (watch for the small debris and fine residu particles) and attach the three metalic clips in the outer holes. See pic #5. This is the POINT OF NO RETURN, because after the trimming operation the old round fog light cannot be attached to the bumper anymore due to the original holes removal.

5. Attach the connector to the fog lamp bulb and secure it to the bumper using the original three TORX screws. See pic #6.

6. Attach the new chrome cover by pressing it in the same latches as the all-black one. Pic #7.

While they are called cornering fog lamps, the installation and part numbers described here DO NOT provide the cornering function. This is a cosmetic only upgrade.

The longest operation is triming the bumper and overall it is a 1-2 hours job for both sides.

There is a fog lamp adjustment screw, but I could not see too much difference after playing with it for a few minutes.

Here are the part numbers:

L & R Chrome Fog Lamp Covers 164-880-07-24 & 164-880-08-24
L & R Fog Lamps 169-820-15-56 & 169-820-16-56

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Crome hood fins and fog light trim-pic-1.jpg   Crome hood fins and fog light trim-pic-2.jpg   Crome hood fins and fog light trim-pic-3.jpg   Crome hood fins and fog light trim-pic-4.jpg   Crome hood fins and fog light trim-pic-5.jpg  

Last edited by MoTorque; 01-08-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Very nice, MoTorque. BTW, only pics 1 through 5 got posted.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Chrome Fog Lights Installed - PICS #6-7

Here are pics #6 & 7 for the posting above.
Attached Thumbnails Crome hood fins and fog light trim-pic-6.jpg   Crome hood fins and fog light trim-pic-7.jpg  
Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Hi oknish,

Apparently there is a 5 pics limit per posting.

BTW, I love the snow in your pics...it makes me wanna run to Big Bear or somewhere where it just snowed...
Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
BTW, I love the snow in your pics...it makes me wanna run to Big Bear or somewhere where it just snowed...
Your install looks great and awesome description too.

After driving my GL in snow, I now want to make another snow run, maybe to Mammoth Have you seen how much snow they got this weekend? What is Big Bear looking like?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crome hood fins and fog light trim