GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Crome hood fins and fog light trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by MoTorque
Here are pics #6 & 7 for the posting above.
MoTorque: Thanks so much for providing such understandable detail and pics of your fog light process. It really turned out great. Since I am concerned about the POINT OF NO RETURN, I have a few questions:

1. In addition to the part numbers you provided, can you tell me how much they cost? I realize I provided awhile back, the part #'s and price for the chrome covers, but just to confirm, please provide, along w/same info for new fog lights.

2. Do I assume correctly that the new fog lights work as the old ones did, but the cornering feature does not? Are the plugs the same on the old and new fog lights which plug into the existing socket in the bumper?

3. In an earlier post, did you also state that you had changed out the original headlights in favor of the cornering headlights? Is this required to allow the new fog lights to work?

If I think of anything else, I'll write again. Again, great job and thanks for the info P.S. Can you come and do mine?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Originally Posted by JDT1
MoTorque: Thanks so much for providing such understandable detail and pics of your fog light process. It really turned out great. Since I am concerned about the POINT OF NO RETURN, I have a few questions:

1. In addition to the part numbers you provided, can you tell me how much they cost? I realize I provided awhile back, the part #'s and price for the chrome covers, but just to confirm, please provide, along w/same info for new fog lights.

2. Do I assume correctly that the new fog lights work as the old ones did, but the cornering feature does not? Are the plugs the same on the old and new fog lights which plug into the existing socket in the bumper?

3. In an earlier post, did you also state that you had changed out the original headlights in favor of the cornering headlights? Is this required to allow the new fog lights to work?

If I think of anything else, I'll write again. Again, great job and thanks for the info P.S. Can you come and do mine?
Hi JDT1,

1. The fog lamps were $81 each and the covers $48 each at MercedesPartsPeople.com Those guys are a little slow, but otherwise great.

2. Your assumptions are 100% correct: the new fog lights work just as the old ones and the socket is the same (the cornering fog lights use the exact same bulb, which is also included and comes already installed - no need to transfer the original bulb).

3. I still have the original headlights that came with the car, I only changed the bulbs to HID (which I removed from my E500). There is no relationship between the headlights and the fog lights.

There are no additional parts required besides the fog lights and chrome covers to perform the described upgrade.

I have some clients in Asia that ask for help with their projects sometimes and I always tell them the same thing...if you want me to come just make sure the beer is very cold...and lots of it...

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:31 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Originally Posted by oknish
Your install looks great and awesome description too.

After driving my GL in snow, I now want to make another snow run, maybe to Mammoth Have you seen how much snow they got this weekend? What is Big Bear looking like?
Thanks! My goal was to achieve 100% factory look and also provide clear instructions for anyone else interested.

I have been craving for some snow and went to Palm Springs a few weeks ago and took the aerial tramway to the top for a quick fix, but they haven't had any fresh snow in a while.

I am thinking to run to Big Bear this weekend. Yeah, I have seen Mammoth in the news...looks like tons of fun...

Last edited by MoTorque; 01-08-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:34 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
[QUOTE=MoTorque;2586746]Hi JDT1,

1. The fog lamps were $81 each and the covers $48 each at MercedesPartsPeople.com Those guys are a little slow, but otherwise great.

2. Your assumptions are 100% correct: the new fog lights work just as the old ones and the socket is the same (the cornering fog lights use the exact same bulb, which is also included and comes already installed - no need to transfer the original bulb).

3. I still have the original headlights that came with the car, I only changed the bulbs to HID (which I removed from my E500). There is no relationship between the headlights and the fog lights.

There are no additional parts required besides the fog lights and chrome covers to perform the described upgrade.

Thanks, MoTorque. Your help on this is very much appreciated. BTW, it appears the new fog light still only has one bulb. If the cornering feature does not work, what happens or how does it look (if you know yet) when you do turn a corner? I assume the light continues with a straight illumination.
At the risk of coming off as a worry wart (I've been accused of worse ), any concern on your part on whether or not any problem may eventually surface, since your GL's wiring is now working with a different light? In other words, even though the same socket is at the end of the wiring, could MB possibly be using a slightly different wire configuration when building a vehicle originally equipped with the cornering lights? With the history of the MB electrical reliability being only so - so over the years, I worry a little about the potential for any trouble here that might even affect the warranty. I haven't even been able to get a straight answer from MB on this. Sorry for coming off as being overly cautious.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 PM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550

Thanks, MoTorque. Your help on this is very much appreciated. BTW, it appears the new fog light still only has one bulb. If the cornering feature does not work, what happens or how does it look (if you know yet) when you do turn a corner? I assume the light continues with a straight illumination.
At the risk of coming off as a worry wart (I've been accused of worse ), any concern on your part on whether or not any problem may eventually surface, since your GL's wiring is now working with a different light? In other words, even though the same socket is at the end of the wiring, could MB possibly be using a slightly different wire configuration when building a vehicle originally equipped with the cornering lights? With the history of the MB electrical reliability being only so - so over the years, I worry a little about the potential for any trouble here that might even affect the warranty. I haven't even been able to get a straight answer from MB on this. Sorry for coming off as being overly cautious.

Your cautious stance is OK JDT1 because in the case of MB they have a pretty accurate current measurement system that detects if any of the bulbs are out and turns off its power line (which could also come on if you use a bulb that does not draw the expected current - in my previous cars I replaced some of the bulbs with LEDs to color match the HID lights and that is how I found out).
But in this case there is nothing to worry about because the bulb is the same exact type and the fog lamp functionality is UNCHANGED. The only difference is that the new fog lights cover more ground towards the sides of the car.

I have not research this, but I am speculating that the fog lamp cornering function is provided just by turning it on when the wheels are turned past a certain point and/or the turn signal is activated.
As you can notice from the fog lamp comparison picture the oval cornering model lens starts at the same point as the round one, but extends much further towards the side of the car, which gives it a much wider coverage.
Until now I presumed that the cornering fog lamps operate the same way as the cornering HID (which actually TURN about 15 degrees or so), but I think that is not the case and the "cornering fog lights" feature is achieved by just having a broader coverage (hence almost double the lens size) combined with automatically turning it on based on the wheels position and/or turning signal activation.
Like I said before, I have not research the exact operation, but I think it works something like that (easy to verify).

Hope this helped

Last edited by MoTorque; 01-09-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:58 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
MoTorque, I'm awaiting delivery on the new lights and covers I ordered from the same web site you used. Just curious to know if all is OK with your vehicle since you did your install almost a week ago. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
MoTorque, I'm awaiting delivery on the new lights and covers I ordered from the same web site you used. Just curious to know if all is OK with your vehicle since you did your install almost a week ago. Thanks.
Absolutelly 0.00 issues. Everything works perfectly...and looks even better.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Absolutelly 0.00 issues. Everything works perfectly...and looks even better.
Well, my new foglamps and chrome covers (same as MoTorques) arrived and were installed today. I actually took everything to my dealer, and they had a body shop rep handle the job for me on the side for only a $20 tip. Needless to say, I was quite pleased. The body shop rep found MoTorque's instructions and pics very helpful, as they had not run across this particular job before. Thanks so much for your detailed instructions and pics.

Since I followed MoTorque's lead in changing out the lights and covers, I no longer plan to have the black plastic covers chromed. I had already sent these black covers to CV Vacuum Platers, Inc., who specializes in chroming plastic. I had them hold on this job until I got back to them.

Before I have the chroming company send the covers back to me, I thought I would ask if there is anyone out there who may be interested in doing business with this company by having the set they are holding, chromed, as I was planning to do? They were going to charge me $80 for each cover for a total of $160, plus shipping. I paid a total of $35 for both covers combined.
FYI, the total price for the new lights, and chrome covers I just installed, cost about $272 from a web site dealing in original MB parts. I think this is about a 30%-40% discount on the actual dealers cost. For anyone interested, the web site of the aforementioned chroming company is
www.cvvacuumplaters.com. Let me know through a pm or a response to this post if you are interested. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
FYI, the total price for the new lights, and chrome covers I just installed, cost about $272 from a web site dealing in original MB parts. I think this is about a 30%-40% discount on the actual dealers cost.
Please provide a link to the site selling OEM parts.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by cablvr
Please provide a link to the site selling OEM parts.
Take a look at MercedesPartsPeople.com.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 PM

2008 S-550 AMG, 2008 GL450, 2005 Ford F-350, 1998 Bentley Turbo R, 1962 Bentley s-3 Saloon,
The operation of replacing the all-black fog lights with the chrome ones is pretty simple. First two pictures are a side by side comparison of the fog lamps and fog lamp covers (sorry for the pics quality, but I could not find the camera charger quickly so I used the iPhone). Here are the main six steps:

1. Remove the all-black fog lamp cover by pulling with your hand (no tool is needed for this step) from the side closer to the front wheel. The cover has a somewhat tight pressed fit, but is a non-destructive removal so pull until is released and it will look similar to pic #3 (after removal it can be re-installed by pressing its tabs in the bumper latches if you change your mind).

2. Get your TORX screwdiver set and take #25 to remove the three screws that secure the fog lamp. After removing the screws disconnect the connector attached to the fog lamp bulb by releasing the two side clamps (if the fog lamp body mass is pulling on the wires and makes it difficult, you can try detaching the bulb from the fog lamp by twisting its base counter-clockwise, after which it will be easier to disconnect the connector). See pic. #4.

3. Remove the three metalic clips that act as screw taps.

4. Trim the bumper around the fog light to make room for the new larger cornering fog light. The wall is very thin so you can use some cutting pliers (that is what I used), or a Dremel or small jigsaw if you want a cleaner look (watch for the small debris and fine residu particles) and attach the three metalic clips in the outer holes. See pic #5. This is the POINT OF NO RETURN, because after the trimming operation the old round fog light cannot be attached to the bumper anymore due to the original holes removal.

5. Attach the connector to the fog lamp bulb and secure it to the bumper using the original three TORX screws. See pic #6.

6. Attach the new chrome cover by pressing it in the same latches as the all-black one. Pic #7.

While they are called cornering fog lamps, the installation and part numbers described here DO NOT provide the cornering function. This is a cosmetic only upgrade.

The longest operation is triming the bumper and overall it is a 1-2 hours job for both sides.

There is a fog lamp adjustment screw, but I could not see too much difference after playing with it for a few minutes.

Here are the part numbers:

L & R Chrome Fog Lamp Covers 164-880-07-24 & 164-880-08-24
L & R Fog Lamps 169-820-15-56 & 169-820-16-56

Please let me know if you have any questions.
I could not locate the fog light covers 164-880-07-24 and 08-24 when i did a search for them at the website you recommended. I did a part number search and description search and nothing, but I was able to find the fog lights themselves any ideas.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Originally Posted by anmhi
I could not locate the fog light covers 164-880-07-24 and 08-24 when i did a search for them at the website you recommended. I did a part number search and description search and nothing, but I was able to find the fog lights themselves any ideas.
Yes, not all the part numbers are linked to their web site search engine, but when you place the order use the "Comments" section and ask them to add the two part numbers for the covers.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 AM

2008 S-550 AMG, 2008 GL450, 2005 Ford F-350, 1998 Bentley Turbo R, 1962 Bentley s-3 Saloon,
Much thanks MO
Old 04-22-2008, 07:53 PM

CHROME FOG LIGHTS

The operation of replacing the all-black fog lights with the chrome ones is pretty simple. First two pictures are a side by side comparison of the fog lamps and fog lamp covers (sorry for the pics quality, but I could not find the camera charger quickly so I used the iPhone). Here are the main six steps:

1. Remove the all-black fog lamp cover by pulling with your hand (no tool is needed for this step) from the side closer to the front wheel. The cover has a somewhat tight pressed fit, but is a non-destructive removal so pull until is released and it will look similar to pic #3 (after removal it can be re-installed by pressing its tabs in the bumper latches if you change your mind).

2. Get your TORX screwdiver set and take #25 to remove the three screws that secure the fog lamp. After removing the screws disconnect the connector attached to the fog lamp bulb by releasing the two side clamps (if the fog lamp body mass is pulling on the wires and makes it difficult, you can try detaching the bulb from the fog lamp by twisting its base counter-clockwise, after which it will be easier to disconnect the connector). See pic. #4.

3. Remove the three metalic clips that act as screw taps.

4. Trim the bumper around the fog light to make room for the new larger cornering fog light. The wall is very thin so you can use some cutting pliers (that is what I used), or a Dremel or small jigsaw if you want a cleaner look (watch for the small debris and fine residu particles) and attach the three metalic clips in the outer holes. See pic #5. This is the POINT OF NO RETURN, because after the trimming operation the old round fog light cannot be attached to the bumper anymore due to the original holes removal.

5. Attach the connector to the fog lamp bulb and secure it to the bumper using the original three TORX screws. See pic #6.

6. Attach the new chrome cover by pressing it in the same latches as the all-black one. Pic #7.

While they are called cornering fog lamps, the installation and part numbers described here DO NOT provide the cornering function. This is a cosmetic only upgrade.

The longest operation is triming the bumper and overall it is a 1-2 hours job for both sides.

There is a fog lamp adjustment screw, but I could not see too much difference after playing with it for a few minutes.

Here are the part numbers:

L & R Chrome Fog Lamp Covers 164-880-07-24 & 164-880-08-24
L & R Fog Lamps 169-820-15-56 & 169-820-16-56

Please let me know if you have any questions.
I just replaced the fog lights on my 450 with the chrome ones with the oval lights following your great instructions, and it looks stunning....what a great difference. Thank you so much for the simple instructions, it took me 20 minutes start to finish it was so easy. I got my parts from jerry @ formymercedes.com he is awesome. Thanks again MO for your help.
Regards
John Tolan
Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 AM

09 GL320 BTC; 07 BMW 335i
Thanks MoTorque for these great pictures!! It made possible for me to get my last mod done in 20 minutes!!

So by now, I have completed the entire "chroming project" on my GL320BTC. I installed all the available stock chrome/stainless steel parts excluding the roofbars(I like the way the current blk bars match the black truck and blk Thule rack & carge box).

While I was amazed by the whole new look they brought to the truck, I must say that the MB parts were rip-offs, for example, I paid ~$80 for the rear bumper step plate with the same quality for my Nissan Murano vs. ~$260 for the GL.

Last edited by rayleiwu; 09-23-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by rayleiwu
Thanks MoTorque for these great pictures!! It made possible for me to get my last mod done in 20 minutes!!

So by now, I have completed the entire "chroming project" on my GL320BTC. I installed all the available stock chrome/stainless steel parts excluding the roofbars(I like the way the current blk bars match the black truck and blk Thule rack & carge box).

While I was amazed by the whole new look they brought to the truck, I must say that the MB parts were rip-offs, for example, I paid ~$80 for the rear bumper step plate with the same quality for my Nissan Murano vs. ~$260 for the GL.
Did you purchase these parts from the website MO mentioned? Wondering if the site is still valid.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL550
On a completely unrelated sidenote; It appears this guy has commandeered your photo as his own and then went ahead and copy-write protected it with his own logo as if he took the pic MoTorque.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...459839611.html

China has their own set of "rules" I guess.