GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Bluetooth & IPOD Adapter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Bluetooth & IPOD Adapter

I have a really newbie question...but my car is a week old and I haven't gotten thru the manual yet (too busy chroming!).

Anyway, I got all the options on my 550, including bluetooth and ipod adapter. But the dealer told me I have to buy something separate for my cell phone to work. He gave me the phone number for some place to call and get a chip that will go into the adapter and enable bluetooth. Does this make any sense? I would have thought that everything would have come ready to connect my phone. Do you need a separate adapter everytime you change phones? Sorry if this is a silly question.

IPOD. Are there any wires or is the capability just built into the head unit? How do you physcally connect the ipod (where, etc.). I know this must be a stupid question.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL 320CDI
Regarding the IPOD connection, there should be a cable in your glovebox with an IPOD connector on the end of it. Plug in the IPOD, turn it on, turn on the Command unit, press the Audio button and press the AUX soft key (button). You should have received an Operator's Manual iPOD integration kit from your dealer.

Regarding the bluetooth feature, you need the MB Cradle adaptor with wireless technology that unfortunately costs around $400 (maybe cheaper online). Once installed in the cradle of your armrest and is set up, it allows you to keep your cell phone with you or laying in the vehicle, eliminating the need to connect it in any way. I believe I read where up to four cell phones can be programmed with this adaptor, although I think only one can be used at a time. I agree, you would think the vehicle would already be equipped with the needed equipment for bluetooth capabilities, but MB will get you any way they can with their add-ons. Good luck and congrats on your new toy. Enjoy it.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:18 PM

2013 GL 450
JDT1, thanks for the clarification.

If anyone knows of a place online to get the bluetooth module at a reasonable price, please post.

I have to go look for that IPOD adapter now because I didn't see it when I looked in the glove box (quickly). Not sure I would have missed it though in that smal glove box!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by patsy1099

If anyone knows of a place online to get the bluetooth module at a reasonable price, please post.

I have to go look for that IPOD adapter now because I didn't see it when I looked in the glove box (quickly). Not sure I would have missed it though in that smal glove box!
If you bought Blue tooth adapter, you do not need any more modules.. the MB bluetooth adapter connects to a small connector under the center armrest console. Sync your blue tooth phone and it should work.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 PM

2013 GL 450
It sounds like I didn't buy the bluetooth adapter. The only items I purchased were all the available options on the car. I didn't buy any bluetooth "accessories". If the adapter came in any of the option packages then I should have it, if not, then I definitely have to go out and purchsae it, which seems silly.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by patsy1099

This is the official MB site for phone support. You may find the modules on ebay for a few bucks less?

http://www.wireless4mb.com/
Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by JDT1
Regarding the IPOD connection, there should be a cable in your glovebox with an IPOD connector on the end of it. Plug in the IPOD, turn it on, turn on the Command unit, press the Audio button and press the AUX soft key (button). You should have received an Operator's Manual iPOD integration kit from your dealer.

Regarding the bluetooth feature, you need the MB Cradle adaptor with wireless technology that unfortunately costs around $400 (maybe cheaper online). Once installed in the cradle of your armrest and is set up, it allows you to keep your cell phone with you or laying in the vehicle, eliminating the need to connect it in any way. I believe I read where up to four cell phones can be programmed with this adaptor, although I think only one can be used at a time. I agree, you would think the vehicle would already be equipped with the needed equipment for bluetooth capabilities, but MB will get you any way they can with their add-ons. Good luck and congrats on your new toy. Enjoy it.
On another thread, Nish and I talked phone support. If you have a razr I recomend the razr cradle PN 6-7-87-5869. It lists for $370 at our dealership but I got it for emloyee cost @$300. It does bluetooth and also plugs in to charge and download your entire phone book. You can have it either way, short trips out on your belt and long trips inthe cradle. You then can voice control your most dialed numbers (that is if you can remember the voice name!!) You can control volume, anwer/hang-up and initiate calls (if voice named) from your SW buttons. Pretty good stuff.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 PM

2014 GL 450
iPod Adapter

OK, I finally joined the 21st century and bought an iPod Nano today. I didn't get the iPod adapter when I bought the GL. I know I can buy it from the dealership & have it installed, but my question is, is it worth it or should I buy an aftermarket kit that transmits over an FM radio station?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
OK, I finally joined the 21st century and bought an iPod Nano today. I didn't get the iPod adapter when I bought the GL. I know I can buy it from the dealership & have it installed, but my question is, is it worth it or should I buy an aftermarket kit that transmits over an FM radio station?
Welcome to the new century, Jen Are you planning to leave the iPod in the car or you planning to carry it with you when you leave the car? Mine stays in the car (so I can buy a new one, please, don't tell wife) so an iPod kit is good for me. But if you plan on taking it with you then FM transmitter is better. However, in LA with the busy FM spectrum that we have, you won't get great sound quality and you will hear static occasionally. You can go with a high price transmitter but will still have some sound quality deterioration. I have some FM transmitters laying around if you want to try before you buy.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:42 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by oknish
Welcome to the new century, Jen Are you planning to leave the iPod in the car or you planning to carry it with you when you leave the car? Mine stays in the car (so I can buy a new one, please, don't tell wife) so an iPod kit is good for me. But if you plan on taking it with you then FM transmitter is better. However, in LA with the busy FM spectrum that we have, you won't get great sound quality and you will hear static occasionally. You can go with a high price transmitter but will still have some sound quality deterioration. I have some FM transmitters laying around if you want to try before you buy.
I'll probably take it out of the car when I get home, as my justification for buying it was to have it in our Jacuzzi "house". We have an AM/FM/CD player in there right now, but we always forget to bring a new CD out (it's a bit of a walk from the house out to the Jacuzzi area!) and end up listening to the same old CD. So, I bought the Nano and the iHome To Go system and will use that in place of the AM/FM/CD thing.

I may take you up on the FM transmitter option, if you don't mind, and try that route.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I'll probably take it out of the car when I get home, as my justification for buying it was to have it in our Jacuzzi "house". We have an AM/FM/CD player in there right now, but we always forget to bring a new CD out (it's a bit of a walk from the house out to the Jacuzzi area!) and end up listening to the same old CD. So, I bought the Nano and the iHome To Go system and will use that in place of the AM/FM/CD thing.

I may take you up on the FM transmitter option, if you don't mind, and try that route.
I'd have Allen buy you a different color Nano for Christmas.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
+1. Do they make them in Capri Blue?

As for your dilemma...I would suggest going the route of the MB iPod adapter. I have tried the FM transmitters, but the audio quality is junk depending on where you are.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
LOL! I like the way you think, Brian! He wasn't too happy about the prospect of spending $300+ for the MB iPod connector...he thinks the Sirius is enough and I don't need the iPod.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by cjh6793
+1. Do they make them in Capri Blue?

As for your dilemma...I would suggest going the route of the MB iPod adapter. I have tried the FM transmitters, but the audio quality is junk depending on where you are.
I did get the blue, but it's not Capri Blue!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:02 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
Also, keep in mind that with the FM transmitter, you won't have the same functionality as the IPOD adapter in that you won't be able to change playlists, songs, artists etc. using you steering wheel controls (although it's not that great a system).
Old 12-15-2007, 06:43 AM

2008 S-550 AMG, 2008 GL450, 2005 Ford F-350, 1998 Bentley Turbo R, 1962 Bentley s-3 Saloon,
I plugged in my I-Pod to my GL yesterday and the sound was not great and very low volume so when I switched back to other audio like FM or satelite the sound was sooooo loud had to turn it down, It also sounded like it was playing Mono on some songs with most of the sound coming from the left side speakers, I tried balance and fade but it was just not much volume at all. What am I doing wrong?
John