Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Check Engine Light

New frustration tonight... My "Check Engine" light came on after my trip back from Beaver Creek this afternoon.

In my ignorance, I pressed the wrench button and was connected to road side service. I asked them if they could perform a remote diagnostic test and tell my why my check engine light was on. I swear, the MB guy on the other end just chuckled and said he didn't have that capability. I thought he was pulling my leg, because Chevy can do it with OnStar. So, I asked him if he was serious, and he most certainly was. He told me to give it 24 hours and most likely the light would go out. If not, then I should take it to the dealer.

After that little conversation, I was the one laughing and thinking to myself, "are you kidding me?" How can it be that our expensive MB's don't have some of the most basic services offered by our much cheaper domestic step cousins thrice removed?

Anyway, I called my SA expecting a much more reassuring/technical response. Nope! To quote, "if the light is still on in the morning, give me a call and we'll try and get it in before Christmas."

While not reassured, I'm hoping it's nothing too serious as it seemed to run just fine during all my trips tonight, even with the "Check Engine" light screaming in my face.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
New frustration tonight... My "Check Engine" light came on after my trip back from Beaver Creek this afternoon.

In my ignorance, I pressed the wrench button and was connected to road side service. I asked them if they could perform a remote diagnostic test and tell my why my check engine light was on. I swear, the MB guy on the other end just chuckled and said he didn't have that capability. I thought he was pulling my leg, because Chevy can do it with OnStar. So, I asked him if he was serious, and he most certainly was. He told me to give it 24 hours and most likely the light would go out. If not, then I should take it to the dealer.

After that little conversation, I was the one laughing and thinking to myself, "are you kidding me?" How can it be that our expensive MB's don't have some of the most basic services offered by our much cheaper domestic step cousins thrice removed?

Anyway, I called my SA expecting a much more reassuring/technical response. Nope! To quote, "if the light is still on in the morning, give me a call and we'll try and get it in before Christmas."

While not reassured, I'm hoping it's nothing too serious as it seemed to run just fine during all my trips tonight, even with the "Check Engine" light screaming in my face.
Have you checked your gas cap? If loose that can cause the light to go on.

If that doesn't work, take two aspirin and call me in the morning...:-)
Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Have you checked your gas cap? If loose that can cause the light to go on.

If that doesn't work, take two aspirin and call me in the morning...:-)
That's funny and the exact same diagnosis from MB Road Side Assistance and my SA. I haven't filled the tank since Saturday, so I don't think that could possibly be the issue, but I'm going to go and check it right now.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Gas cap isn't the issue as it's on tight.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 PM

06 CLS500
Beaver Creek?

I'm vacationing in Steamboat this week... kinda snowy up here..lol

Last edited by HoustonRider; 12-20-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by HoustonRider
Beaver Creek?

[/IMG]
When we left BC it was just starting to snow. Hopefully, more will fall over the course of the next week. BC wasn't in good shape, but Vail skied much better and softer.

Have a great time! Steamboat is a great town.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:32 AM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
Keep it coming!

I'll be in Copper Mountain come New Years, and I really need to get some good skiing in. I grew up in Colorado and was spoiled with the great snow during winter. The Southern California resorts are terrible compared to Colorado snow.

Enjoy your trip HoustonRider!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550

Hey Commander, I've got a ski question for you...

We're thinking of taking a true ski vacation next New Year's outside of the normal resorts we visit in a season (Beaver Creek, Vail, Keystone, Breck, Steamboat). It probably seems crazy since we live so close to arguably some of the best resorts in the world.

Anyway, I am curious how you would compare Mammoth Mountain to Colorado skiing? Would it be a great place to spend a week, or would we become bored? It looks close to Yosemite, but I don't know if the park is open in the winter or not.

If you are not crazy about Mammoth, what about Tahoe or Deer Valley in Utah? If none of those sound good, then we'll probably just stay in state, but go to a destination resort like Telluride or Aspen. We're just looking for something outside the normal realm of our traditional haunts.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:27 AM

GL450, 99 Road King
Ski Mammoth you will love it!! After years of making an annual ski trip to Mammoth and the Tahoe area for a week or so my group always loved Mammoth much better than anything at Tahoe (Heavenly is way over rated, Squaw is ok, North Star might be the best). So 6 years ago we started spending the entire time at Mammoth and love every minute. I’m sure you won’t be bored at night if you ski all day. The road into Yosemite is closed from the backside of the sierra so the option will be off the table. If the weather is nice, Tahoe is only a 2.5 hr drive and Reno 3hrs so a nice day trip to either location is possible. However, the Skiing and Mammoth is the best! January 27th I’m there for a Week!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011

Agreed.......I had the diagnostic capability with my GMC Yukon and it came in handy on one occasion. I was shocked when I found out that the Tele Aide system is not as sophisticated as the On Star.....but right you are....I got the same message from MB when I asked them about it. The latest version of On Star now even sends you emails with current mpg data, tire pressures and other data regarding systems on your vehicle.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:26 PM

E320 & GL450

We're thinking of taking a true ski vacation next New Year's outside of the normal resorts we visit in a season (Beaver Creek, Vail, Keystone, Breck, Steamboat). It probably seems crazy since we live so close to arguably some of the best resorts in the world.

Anyway, I am curious how you would compare Mammoth Mountain to Colorado skiing? Would it be a great place to spend a week, or would we become bored? It looks close to Yosemite, but I don't know if the park is open in the winter or not.

If you are not crazy about Mammoth, what about Tahoe or Deer Valley in Utah? If none of those sound good, then we'll probably just stay in state, but go to a destination resort like Telluride or Aspen. We're just looking for something outside the normal realm of our traditional haunts.

Thanks!
More snow at Mammoth than anywhere in the US other than Tuckerman's Ravine. 280 inches is a dry year, plus 30 feet common, although in the 77 drought we did have only 7 ft I recall. Already have 6-7 feet I think and it has been relatively lacking in rain. It is even stunning in the summer for camping in the state forrest, especially at Twin Lakes. Clearly my favorite spot in California. Next favorite for family skiing is Kirkwood which usually has the most snow in the Tahoe Region
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Houston, we've got a lot of snow here.

Hey... I just got a call from a client who says Steamboat has had at least 15" in the past 24 hours. I can only imagine the day you are having on the slopes. WOW!!!

It just started snowing here in Evergreen a couple of hours ago and it's making everything look real nice for Christmas. As my daughter just said as she got home for school, "This is just like the story Frosty the Snowman. We were anxious to get out of school for Christmas break and it is really snowing hard."

I just love this time of year, especially getting to live it through the eyes of a 9 year old. Priceless.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Light is Off

Back on topic here...

When I started up the GL this morning, the check engine light was still illuminated. I undid the gas cap, tightened it again, and drove to my meeting with the light on the whole time. My reserve gas tank light came on, so I thought maybe since I was getting low on gas it was screwing with the check engine light. So, I filled up the tank (25.1 gallons) and sure enough when I started it back up, the check engine light wasn't on.

It's the first time I've let it get that low on gas, so I'll have to try it again and see if happens on a low tank. I may have a faulty sensor.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 PM

E320 & GL450
Back on topic here...

When I started up the GL this morning, the check engine light was still illuminated. I undid the gas cap, tightened it again, and drove to my meeting with the light on the whole time. My reserve gas tank light came on, so I thought maybe since I was getting low on gas it was screwing with the check engine light. So, I filled up the tank (25.1 gallons) and sure enough when I started it back up, the check engine light wasn't on.

It's the first time I've let it get that low on gas, so I'll have to try it again and see if happens on a low tank. I may have a faulty sensor.
Wow! You were on fumes!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 PM

06 CLS500
Houston, we've got a lot of snow here.

Hey... I just got a call from a client who says Steamboat has had at least 15" in the past 24 hours. I can only imagine the day you are having on the slopes. WOW!!!
Priceless.
Yep, I took my 5 year old, he didn't get past the ski lessons, lol. He only weighs 42 pounds, his skis/boots weighed almost that much. he liked sledding/tubing better.

Here's a few pics of what that 15" made in a day... heres a pic of some trucks parked next door to our place.

12/20/07

12/21/07

Old 12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Here's a few pics of what that 15" made in a day.
What a difference a day can make. I hear another 6" is on its way to you by Monday evening. Supposed to have another significant snow on Thursday too.

You lucky devil!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:32 PM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550

Thanks!
I used to think that Colorado and Utah were the best places for skiing in the US. Then I went to Tahoe a few years ago for the holidays. The snow in No. California is equally on par with these places. I have had trouble enjoying Southern California Skiing, I tried Big Bear last season, and I just didn't enjoy myself much.

The Tahoe area is a great place to visit. I certainly recommend a visit.