GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GLK official pics; Will have new NAV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008 | 05:47 PM
Almost a Member!

E500-4Matic
GLK official pics; Will have new NAV

Looks like the GLK will have the new knob contol NAV found in the S class and new C class. Hope the GL and ML will get this update soon!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...-detroit-show/
Old 01-03-2008 | 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Nice and thanks for posting. Where did you get details on it having the new NAV?
Old 01-03-2008 | 01:11 AM
Almost a Member!

E500-4Matic
Originally Posted by oknish
Nice and thanks for posting. Where did you get details on it having the new NAV?
I made that assumption based on the photo at the bottom of the page that shows the interior. You can see the controller on the front of the armrest between the seats.

Also, have to make a correction - the article is regarding the Vision GLK FREESIDE, which is more of a preview of the real GLK. A better article (full press release from MBZ) is here: http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/01/03...-glk-freeside/
Old 01-03-2008 | 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I would imagine it would have the same system as the new C Class nish. This appears to be the system now and will be added as the model years progress.
Old 01-03-2008 | 10:25 AM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
GLK photo show's NTG 4.0 which is the predecessor to NTG 2.0 and is standard on the C-Class.
The ML. GL, G, and R-Class will be getting NTG 2.5. No controller, but better features.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
GLK photo show's NTG 4.0 which is the predecessor to NTG 2.0 and is standard on the C-Class.
The ML. GL, G, and R-Class will be getting NTG 2.5. No controller, but better features.
I am guessing NTG is short for Nav something or other. Right?

So, is GLK going to be available in a BlueTec engine? What about Distronic for GLK? And is GLK uniframe like her big brothers? Danke.

Last edited by oknish; 01-03-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I would imagine it would have the same system as the new C Class nish. This appears to be the system now and will be added as the model years progress.
Makes sense, Jack. I need to go look at the new C class
Old 01-03-2008 | 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I am guessing NTG is short for Nav something or other. Right?
Next Generation
Old 01-04-2008 | 10:28 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
The GLK is a little bigger than the X3, I think. I get to drive the X3 not infrequently when my wife's BMW is in for service and I get a loaner. The X3 is about the right size for around town, but it could be a little bigger and its styling is getting a little long in the tooth. I am not sure I like the exterior styling of the GLK, however, and I hope the actual car has a little smoother appearance to it in person. I think it looks a little too square and angular, even compared to the GL.

What is most impressive about the pictures is the stunning and beautiful interior. If this represents the true production vehicle, its interior appears to be even nicer than the GL, which is difficult to believe. I mean, why would they put a nicer interior in a lower class car? The only reason I can think of is that soon MB will upgrade the GL to a similar level. The dash and controls all look great, like an S class, especially the speedometer and radio/nav controls.

If the GLK is offered with the CDI engine, it should do very, very well.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-04-2008 | 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by oinick
The GLK is a little bigger than the X3, I think. I get to drive the X3 not infrequently when my wife's BMW is in for service and I get a loaner. The X3 is about the right size for around town, but it could be a little bigger and its styling is getting a little long in the tooth. I am not sure I like the exterior styling of the GLK, however, and I hope the actual car has a little smoother appearance to it in person. I think it looks a little too square and angular, even compared to the GL.

What is most impressive about the pictures is the stunning and beautiful interior. If this represents the true production vehicle, its interior appears to be even nicer than the GL, which is difficult to believe. I mean, why would they put a nicer interior in a lower class car? The only reason I can think of is that soon MB will upgrade the GL to a similar level. The dash and controls all look great, like an S class, especially the speedometer and radio/nav controls.

If the GLK is offered with the CDI engine, it should do very, very well.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
I note that this is a "concept" vehicle so the production version could be slightly different. I would expect the interior lay out is firm but the materials may or may not be available in the US market as shown.

I would also expect the next generation GL (ML,R) will have a redesigned dash to accommodate upgraded COMAND features.

This is from a Car Connection comment on the GLK:
"The exterior design of the GLK owes much to the shape of the big GL-Class, and inside the GLK harks back to Mercedes style of the past, with a big swath of zebrano wood arching across the dash. The wood in the concept is stained black, in high contrast to the "diamond-white magno" paint job and custom-made 20-inch wheels."

I wonder when the concept paint process will be available on production cars...I think it is called alubeam or something like that.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 01-04-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-04-2008 | 11:59 AM
MKW

08 GL450
That angular dash looks like something from Toyota or Nissan in the early 80s . Headrest shapes and seat piping look like something out of the 70s .
Old 01-04-2008 | 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MKW
That angular dash looks like something from Toyota or Nissan in the early 80s . Headrest shapes and seat piping look like something out of the 70s .
+1 I'm with you. What is UP with that interior? What the hell are those colors on the dash?

That said, having the shifter back in the center is more traditional and may un-crowd the steering wheel stalk forest but eats up some nice center console real estate. You can tell it was taken up and then missed by that strange peninsula of center console cubby cover. Weirdness.

Hey, half of the light switch cover is keyed to the interior color again! That instrument cluster would be nice but I think MB is still stuck in the early 90's when it comes to prototypes - make it as weird as possible, not something you'd actually produce. More and more everyone else is making prototypes that are much closer to production models. We'll see what Damlier does with that body and what whoever does with the electronics. And for heaven's sake, get rid of that interior! Ech!