GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Don't kill the messenger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Originally Posted by AsianML
I attached the scan that someone over on benzworld took.
The reviews say that every Benz is unreliable. But all of us here either own, drive or want M-B cars... obviously these cars have something going for them, right?

Now imagine if every Ferrari owner were to stay away from Ferrari because car magazines complain about reliability, maintenance costs, mileage and high price. (These are actually listed as "cons" under the "pros and cons" sections of some magazines)

So what to do? Read the reviews, use your judgment, go test drive some cars and own a Benz or two. Then tell the world how you really feel. :-)

I've had many problems with my 1988 Corolla and 1997 Camry in the past, but not as much as 2004 C230 and 2007 SLK350. But then again the Toyotas were older.

I also have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE... it has many problems, but I've learned to live with them. It's great for getting groceries.

~shahedc
Old 03-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320 CDI, SL550
CR rates all Mercedes as poor reliability

So I finally got a chance to look at that Consumer Reports issue that is causing all the grief - if you go to the section that provides a brief paragraph on each Mercedes model, the last sentence for each model (except for the C Class, which is too new) states that each model is poor from a reliability standpoint. So - CR does not indicate the GL is poor in reliability, they indicate that ALL Mercedes are poor in reliability.

With that said mine has been doing pretty well going into the 10K mark. I don't think many of us buy MB or BMW or Porsche or whatever for reliability (but it would be nice...). I am guessing most of us are purchasing for other reasons like luxury, prestige, fun to drive, looks, etc... If I wanted reliability I'd buy a Japanese car/truck, but I can't find one I like that also scores high in luxury, prestige, fun to drive, looks, etc.

I am sure it cost more to build various models, but I don't think it is that much more to to build a C Class vs. an S Class or a 3 series vs. a 7 series...They are all mass produced and will have issues...