Poser -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Geez, I guess I better take off my door cups and my chrome hood fins. And anyone who puts in an aftermarket video system or iPod adapter is in that pool, too! And aftermarket wheels - whoosh! I'll need to nix my idea of putting the tow hitch on as well, I suppose. If it wasn't put on by the factory, it isn't legitimate - is that what I'm getting from you?

What if you take stuff off? I see between half a dozen and a dozen GLs a day now, and one of them has all the badges, save the star, taken off. The wheels are blacked, as are the windows with aftermarket tint, and I think they have taken the chrome off of the doors, too. Are they posers as well? And what if someone gets a Braebus version? Poser? If I get CDI tuned for better overall performance and mileage, will I be pissing you off then as well?

It's a car, dude, not a church. And you own it when you buy it, so if you want to mess with it that's your choice. Lighten up, for goodness' sake!

SToP
MB Fanatic's only gripe is when people rebadge their cars to something it's not. Nothing you listed would be considered posing.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL 550
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Nothing pisses me off more than posers. I recently saw a kid around UCI driving a C230 with V8 Kompressor badges, AMG badges and other ****. What pissed me off more was he was a desi damnit and then he tried to race the CLS55.

Anyhow, why can't people be happy with what they drive? Do they think that adding a badge is going to make them look cool and/or give the car 50+ extra hp? The nerve of these people. Arrrrh. You already drive a benz, be proud.
Agree with Steve the Pilot's recent post. MB Fanatic - For me, it's about personalizing, making it mine, just the way I like it.... I also ride motorcycles and own a H-D, and have spent considerable time and energy (and $) personalizing my H-D. Hard to explain why.... many reasons.... ultimately it's a connection and a Zen thing. And H-D has built a whole business model doing this. I'm actually surprised auto manufacturers and dealers have not caught on yet. Great way to keep interest level in brand high, create brand loyalty and a community, and make tons of money!

Anyway - many people don't get it (some friends and wife think I'm nuts and just wasting money). Whatever - it makes me happy and that's what it's all about. :-)

Last edited by slim nicky; 04-04-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by slim nicky
Anyway - many people don't get it (some friends and wife think I'm nuts and just wasting money). Whatever - it makes me happy and that's what it's all about. :-)
OTOH I can see MBFanatic's point of trying to make it something it is not. Like if you were for some reason to make a hard-tail Harley look like a soft-tail (I dunno, faux shocks or something weird - probably a bad example), as opposed to painting it, adding to it, chroming the rims (me), putting on different wheels. So on the one hand, it's yours and do with it what you want. That's customizing. On the other, don't pretend it's something it's not (like a ricer with a Honda pretending he has a race car).

So I now see what he means.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Like if you were for some reason to make a hard-tail Harley look like a soft-tail (I dunno, faux shocks or something weird - probably a bad example), as opposed to painting it, adding to it, chroming the rims (me), putting on different wheels. So on the one hand, it's yours and do with it what you want. That's customizing. On the other, don't pretend it's something it's not (like a ricer with a Honda pretending he has a race car).

So I now see what he means.
Actually the H-D softail looks like the old-school hardtail. The softail has it's name because the shocks are hidden so when viewed from the side, you cannot see the shocks, hence the reference to a hardtail which did not have shocks.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 PM

2008 GL 550
Switching the topic for a second. MB Fanatic - I noticed in your signature that you totalled your GL. Sorry to hear that. What a bummer, although 09s look sweet. Can you share how it did from a safety perspective and any photos? thx in advance.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by AsianML
MB Fanatic's only gripe is when people rebadge their cars to something it's not. Nothing you listed would be considered posing.
Exactly. Just dont badge it to somethings its not. If you don't drive an AMG don't stick an AMG adge on the back. If you don't have an E55, dont badge it as an E55. You should be proud of what you drive since you worked for it.

I am all about standing out and being different. I had the chrome aerowings on the GL and a few other goodies as well.

To the last post about te GL being totalled. The damage was quite extensive once the dealers got to tearing the car apart and there was some frame damage, hence State Farm totalled the car. My wife was rear ended by a Seqouia (newer one) while stopped at a red light. The car performed flawlessly during the collision and no one suffred injuries in the GL. Sorry I don't have pics but it was pretty bad. The entire rear was crushed.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 PM

2008 GL 550
To the last post about te GL being totalled. The damage was quite extensive once the dealers got to tearing the car apart and there was some frame damage, hence State Farm totalled the car. My wife was rear ended by a Seqouia (newer one) while stopped at a red light. The car performed flawlessly during the collision and no one suffred injuries in the GL. Sorry I don't have pics but it was pretty bad. The entire rear was crushed.
Wow. Good thing everyone was ok. Quick follow-up, because I use the rear seats once in a while for the kids. Did damage extend to rear seats? How would they have done if they were occuppied?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by slim nicky
Wow. Good thing everyone was ok. Quick follow-up, because I use the rear seats once in a while for the kids. Did damage extend to rear seats? How would they have done if they were occuppied?
No the rear seats were unaffected. One thing I did invest in was window tint which prevented the glass from shattering into interior of the vehicle. You might wan't to consider that.

My wife was stopped at a red light and the Yoyota slammed into the GL at about 35mph. The Seqouia caved in like a tin box from what my wife and dad said. Luckily my girls werent hurt (thank god for car seats). I wouldn't put my family in any other vehicle other than a Benz, BMW or Volvo.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
One thing I did invest in was window tint which prevented the glass from shattering into interior of the vehicle.
I thought MB already had shatter proof windows?? I know my wife's Volvo has them since some idiot tried to break in. The glass didn't shatter but just cracked. It was almost $600 to replace but the peace of mind is worth it.