GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

RE: RSE headphones..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' GL 320 CDI, Iridium Silver, Fully Loaded
Question RE: RSE headphones..

Can anyone recommend a good set of Wireless Headphones that work well with the CDI's RSE? Where to buy? Price?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by rleggs
Can anyone recommend a good set of Wireless Headphones that work well with the CDI's RSE? Where to buy? Price?

Thanks.
I think the 2009 models will have wireless RSE headphones.

I really don't know, on balance, that wireless is better than wired. In my last three cars, the headphones were wireless but they would seem to run out of battery power at inconvenient times. With the wired headphones, this is not a problem, and my teenage daughter thinks the sound quality from the MB RSE headphones is great (they are made by Bose). She plugs them into her iPod or into the rear audio jacks when she is not using the RSE.

As for price, I cannot say. Another poster here has installed an aftermarket RSE with wireless phones and he has been pleased with them. Perhaps Gordon will give you advice on this.

Last edited by oinick; 03-19-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 AM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by oinick
I think the 2009 models will have wireless RSE headphones.

I really don't know, on balance, that wireless is better than wired. In my last three cars, the headphones were wireless but they would seem to run out of battery power at inconvenient times. With the wired headphones, this is not a problem, and my teenage daughter thinks the sound quality from the MB RSE headphones is great (they are made by Bose). She plugs them into her iPod or into the rear audio jacks when she is not using the RSE.

As for price, I cannot say. Another poster here has installed an aftermarket RSE with wireless phones and he has been pleased with them. Perhaps Gordon will give you advice on this.
I tend to agree with oinick on this one. Wireless is fine when you are moving around and you need range of motion...but when you are sitting in a truck flying down the highway, wired is fine. For us anyway. Always a solid signal and no batteries to change. My kids really like the quality of the sound through the MB headsets too. They are a little cheap feeling, but sound is solid.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:18 PM

2007 GL450
I wouldn't think that the wired RSE of the 2007 and 2008 models can use wireless headphones, if that is what you are asking?

Wireless headphones work by the DVD screen/unit sending a direct infrared signal to the headphones. So the DVD screen/unit has to be built to do it. I don't think the 2007 and 2008 RSE screens have that capability.

As for the aftermarket systems I have had the Vizualogic system 2 times, once in a 2007 GL450 and now in a 2008 GL320. The wireless headphones that came with the 2007 system had reasonable sound, however the problem was that they had a very sensitive soft touch on/off switch. My 3 year old son likes to hold the headphones on his head as he is watching DVD's and he would constantly accidently shut off the headphones by hitting that soft touch switch and then would not be able to figure out how to turn them back on. So in the 2007 GL I just bought wired headphones to solve that problem. However, I would say that dealing with the wire was a hassle getting him in an out of the car seat. The wire would often be tangled around his foot and he had to be broken of the habit of chewing on the wire.

In the 2008, the Vizualogic came with a different style headphone with an actual firm slide switch to both turn on the headphones and to choose either channel A or channel B. These work great! A much improved switch system. They have sound good and do not use much battery power. We have had the 2008 for about 4 months now and I have not changed the batteries in the set that he uses all the time. I don't know if the headphones have an actual "brand name" on them. I will look if you are interested.

Gordon
Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 AM

07' GL 320 CDI, Iridium Silver, Fully Loaded
Question my thoughts exactly gordon..

my little 3yr old chews on the wire!....but I didn't know that the mb dual screens are not compatible with wirless phones...thanks. I guess I have to break the little one's habit of wire chewing....any other suggestions?

[How are diesel prices in your areas?..here in chicago, its sky high...hovering around/above 4$/gal.....anyone have regrets in getting a CDI?]
Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 AM

'08 GL 320 CDI (scheduled delivery 3/20/08)
Rlegs, no regrets yet on the CDI, that is as long as diesel stays within 20 percent of premium unleaded.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Has anyone tried to add a third set of headphones by using a splitter on one of the outputs? I'm wondering if this would diminish to volume level. I have three kids, which means all of us have to listen unless I can get a third set of headphones hooked up to the RSE system somehow.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM

2007 GL450
Comfy,

I am quite sure a splitter would work well. I haven't done it myself in the truck but I have done it in other situations and it works well. Try it.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM

GL550
My 2 yo pulls the wire out. (no chewing yet, but I'm sure that's coming!)

It's quite difficult putting it back in from the front seat while driving down the highway...

she also uses her toes to hit the controls on the DVD player itself. Not that I would go back to the van, but the Odyssey had the perfect RSE setup...dvd insert was located up front by the driver/passenger (duh! great idea!) as were the controls unless the child was old enough to use the supplied remote that easily clipped itself into the roof. And wireless headphones.

Then again, I doubt MB is too concerned with the issues of us drivers raising small children...

Wireless is a real must with little ones IMO.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
Has anyone tried to add a third set of headphones by using a splitter on one of the outputs? I'm wondering if this would diminish to volume level. I have three kids, which means all of us have to listen unless I can get a third set of headphones hooked up to the RSE system somehow.
Yes, the splitter works just great - No issues at all.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by rleggs
my little 3yr old chews on the wire!....but I didn't know that the mb dual screens are not compatible with wirless phones...thanks. I guess I have to break the little one's habit of wire chewing....any other suggestions?

[How are diesel prices in your areas?..here in chicago, its sky high...hovering around/above 4$/gal.....anyone have regrets in getting a CDI?]
Hmmmm, when the dog was a puppy we just sprayed pepper spray on some things...worked great! Too harsh? O.K. - well they grw out of that!

No regrets here...just a little hot about paying nearly $0.75 more today! $96.75 OUCH!