GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Chip guard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI (scheduled delivery 3/20/08)
Chip guard

I just had the MB dealer install the 3M chip guard which includes, among other things, the hood and side mirrors. However, when further inspecting the installation work, noticed that the installer didn't even bother to cut the pieces on the front hood portion, he/she just folded them underneath and left about 3/4 inch tucked and stuck to the underside of the hood. Also there were several small bubbles visible on the outside of the hood, in an area just above the oil filler cap.

Now, when I look at my wife's lexus RX400h which similarly had chipguard installed, each and every piece was meticulously cut and put in place. What a difference in service and workmanship. Hope this is just an anomaly.

But, I hope this is not the beginning of what I experienced with my local BMW dealer where no one cared or gave a damn.....just looking lots of Ben Franklin.

Curious to learn of other people's experiences.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Greul
But, I hope this is not the beginning of what I experienced with my local BMW dealer where no one cared or gave a damn.....just looking lots of Ben Franklin.

Curious to learn of other people's experiences.
The shop that did mine was a detailer. He re-did it three times because of edges rising, and wrinkles on the hood. His cost. This stuff's expensive, not only to buy but to put on. But one of the big reasons for the cost is that they're supposed to have a machine to cut the material to fit your car and they have to pay for the patterns. I'd take it back and say, "Do it right or take it off and refund my money, and I'll have it done properly elsewhere." Don't take any crap from them, you know what it's supposed to look like.

STP
Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Greul,

I agree with STP and you shouldn't put up with the shoddy work.

Personally, I use a gentleman that has built his business by installing 3M protective film. He did a phenomenal job on my GL and I've been exceptionally happy.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:42 PM

2008 GL320
I am having the 3M clear bra installed on the GL and just got off the phone with the installer. I did not want slits in any of the pieces but the installer explained that the creases by the grill are too sharp. It's best that he slit the film at this location:

Is this common?

Also, the installer said that he does not fold the edges under.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by midnightz
I am having the 3M clear bra installed on the GL and just got off the phone with the installer. I did not want slits in any of the pieces but the installer explained that the creases by the grill are too sharp. It's best that he slit the film at this location:
Is this common?

Also, the installer said that he does not fold the edges under.
Mine currently has slight rippling (nothing too noticeable, after three reinstallations) in the area outside of those seams, so it's possible that that procedure would make it easier on them. Also, none of it is "folded under" as it was custom laser cut from a pattern so as to properly fit on the car. Wherever there's a seam, you'll notice it. It's a point for dirt, etc., to collect.

STP
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I am having the 3M clear bra installed on the GL and just got off the phone with the installer. I did not want slits in any of the pieces but the installer explained that the creases by the grill are too sharp. Is this common?
I'm not sure midnightz. I'll check on my GL when I get back to Colorado early next week for you.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 PM

2008 GL320
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I'm not sure midnightz. I'll check on my GL when I get back to Colorado early next week for you.
Thanks. If possible, could you snap some photos of your front end. Our GL is also Verde Brook and would like to see how visible the edges/seams are.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Thanks. If possible, could you snap some photos of your front end. Our GL is also Verde Brook and would like to see how visible the edges/seams are.
Will do.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 AM

Upon inspection the dealer immediately suggested the "fold under" approach was not to MB standards and agreed to immediately redo the chipguard. Will keep everyone posted as to any new developments.....

Lastly, we had chipguard installed on my wife's RX400h by the dealer without incident. Moreover, the dealer not only installed chipgard on the hood and mirrors, but also on all the opening/ i.e. leading edges of the doors which have prevented numerous door chips. My dealer states they only do the hood and mirrors....... Input?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

... the dealer not only installed chipgard on the hood and mirrors, but also on all the opening/ i.e. leading edges of the doors which have prevented numerous door chips. My dealer states they only do the hood and mirrors....... Input?
The "leading edges" of the doors have no chips on them per my own experience (28,000+ miles). However, the clear guard also didn't prevent some chips further back on the hood, and I can't really tell where they came from because they look like they're in an area where the stones would've had to come from the driver's side of the car (like straight in). However, where the clear guard is, it's saved some paint.

STP
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM

As always Steve appreciate your input...
Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I am having the 3M clear bra installed on the GL and just got off the phone with the installer. I did not want slits in any of the pieces but the installer explained that the creases by the grill are too sharp.

Is this common?

Thanks.
Midnightz,

I checked my GL and there are no slits in my protective film.

I would have taken a picture, but it was so filthy upon my return to Denver that if I posted pics, most posters on this forum might have had me tar and feathered. Put it this way, the dirt and grime on my GL is more than Nevada Jack has on the tread of his tires.

I was only in town for 1-day, so didn't have time to wash it. But, hopefully I'll find some time this weekend to baby it a little and I'll take a picture of the film.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Midnightz,

I checked my GL and there are no slits in my protective film.

I would have taken a picture, but it was so filthy upon my return to Denver that if I posted pics, most posters on this forum might have had me tar and feathered. Put it this way, the dirt and grime on my GL is more than Nevada Jack has on the tread of his tires.

I was only in town for 1-day, so didn't have time to wash it. But, hopefully I'll find some time this weekend to baby it a little and I'll take a picture of the film.
Well Stumble, I do have those tread washers installed. They fit real well next to the wheel well washers.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I Stand Corrected

Midnightz,

I was able to baby my GL this weekend and get it ready for spring. Took off the cross bars and cargo carrier since ski season is virtually over. Once I got the GL all cleaned up and took a close look at the chip guard, here is what I found.
  1. There is a slight slit of the film on both the off-center right and left side of the hood. It is where the hood rakes steeply toward the grill and is practically vertical. It's virtually undectable unless you run your finger along the film and that is where I found it. I guess it was so filthly before that I just didn't see it.
My installer placed additional film in the following locations:
  1. Front of rear wheel fender flare.
  2. First section of chrome roof rails.
  3. A-Pillars.
  4. Front fender (including horizontal headlamp washers) and full wrap around flares.

Hope this helps!

BTW... I took some pics, but they didn't turn out very well. You couldn't see the slits, or where the film stopped/started. Sorry.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
How much does it cost for the 3M clear bra?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by sam9187
How much does it cost for the 3M clear bra?
Mine was $490 including install and tax. My installer did it right in my garage too.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
What does that cover? Does it cover the entire hood, mirrors etc..
Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by sam9187
What does that cover? Does it cover the entire hood, mirrors etc..
It covers the standard things that all installers cover + the additions I listed in the message above. So, yes... it covers the mirrors, but only 1/3 of the hood.

Hope this helped!
Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Ford Expedition
What's the difference between Chip Guard and StonGard?
Web Site: www.stongard.com
From The Web Site:
Protect your cars’ finish from the damage that is caused by airborne stones, bugs and other debris. StonGard® Paint Protection Film protects the most vulnerable areas of your car such as the hood, fenders, grill, bumper, mirrors, flares, door sills and just about any other painted surface that is exposed and vulnerable to damage. Airborne rocks can chip away at your paint and the investment you have in your automobile. Traditional car bras drastically alter the appearance of your car or truck. Our transparent film is made from an optically clear 8 mil urethane film that when applied to your car is virtually invisible. Instead of using a black vinyl mask that drastically alters the appearance of your car, try our clear bra; you will be glad you did.

Last edited by Quicks; 04-07-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 PM

2008 GL320
  1. There is a slight slit of the film on both the off-center right and left side of the hood. It is where the hood rakes steeply toward the grill and is practically vertical. It's virtually undectable unless you run your finger along the film and that is where I found it. I guess it was so filthly before that I just didn't see it.
My installer placed additional film in the following locations:
  1. Front of rear wheel fender flare.
  2. First section of chrome roof rails.
  3. A-Pillars.
  4. Front fender (including horizontal headlamp washers) and full wrap around flares.
Thanks! That makes me feel better about having slits on the hood. Looks like you got a great deal and with the extra's. My costed $800 and it's done at the dealer.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Thanks! That makes me feel better about having slits on the hood. Looks like you got a great deal and with the extra's. My costed $800 and it's done at the dealer.
That's good to know and helps others on the forum to know the price range they should expect to pay.

BTW... love your color combo.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
BTW... love your color combo.

On the way to work today, I drove behind a VB/Mac 450. I almost rear ended him while I was busy admiring his color combo.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Unhappy

Unlike my wife's Lexus RX 400h my dealer installed chipguard only included the 1/3 front potion of the hood and a very small portion of the front fenders around the headlinghts (as depicted) and the side mirrors. Moreover, although my chipguard cost almost double (around $650 or so) mine didn't include the front grill, upper and lower front bumber cover, front leading edges, all door trim guards or stoss/leward fender edges as hers did. What's up Mercedes?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
What's up Mercedes?
IMO, Greul, this has nothing to do with MB. Looks like your dealer uses another installer vs the Lexus dealer that you used for your wife's.

Or, look at it this way, MB paint is much thicker vs Lexus paint and so doesn't need all that protection
Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 PM

Sorry forgot to attach the photos of hood and right fender, passenger mirror and hood underside. Comments please.......
Attached Thumbnails Chip guard-chipguard.jpg   Chip guard-chipguard-mirrors.jpg   Chip guard-chipguard-hood.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chip guard