GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

How to programme mirror tilt in reverse: look at this...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Lightbulb How to programme mirror tilt in reverse: look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HtiX...eature=related

This GL can do it. Watch the menus. You seem to need something called "Vario Plus" that sells for a couple hundred bucks for other cars on their website. No listing for GL, though...however I don't have my GL yet, and don't know if this is a normal menu, or something else.

PS: if you watch their other vids, they tell you that "mirrors" means tilt in reverse.

Last edited by Brocktoon; 04-18-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: PS
Old 04-19-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55, CL65 C216
Hi,

what exactly do you mean by tilt? mine move downwards when I go into reserve if I have my left mirror adjustor activated.

Tom
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 AM

That's right, but the function is apparently de-activated lately on North American cars...
Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 MB GL350 BLUETEC, '10 MB E63 AMG, '95 MB S600, '84 MB 380 SEL
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
That's right, but the function is apparently de-activated lately on North American cars...
My 08 GL550 has it. If I leave the right hand mirror selector activated (Lights up red), my passenger mirror automatically tilts when I put he GL in reverse.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 AM

Does your seat move back when you get out of the car? This is good news for me, as it seems at least the mirrors are still functioning in Canadian models.

If you search the forum, there are several complaints about thse vanishing features.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Does your seat move back when you get out of the car? This is good news for me, as it seems at least the mirrors are still functioning in Canadian models.

If you search the forum, there are several complaints about thse vanishing features.
No it doesen't because I switched the feature off. But the mirror still tilts.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 PM

Interesting!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by Joyride
My 08 GL550 has it. If I leave the right hand mirror selector activated (Lights up red), my passenger mirror automatically tilts when I put he GL in reverse.
Yours is a Canadian model, which I believe explains why yours has this fun function (along with the ability to slide the seat back when exiting) whereas the US version does not have these abilities.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
Yours is a Canadian model, which I believe explains why yours has this fun function (along with the ability to slide the seat back when exiting) whereas the US version does not have these abilities.
That's why I find it so interesting.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Brocktoon, great find!

This will be good for all of the US owners that has the model without the passenger mirror tilt while reverse active. I wonder if the other functions he scrolled through will work as well. I'm especially curious about the suspension settings.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Tilt Mirror

The Tilt Mirror feature can be activated in the '08 GL. How do I know this...well I had it done when I took delivery. Greg at Westminster had the service tech take care of it for me. If the mirror switch is on the right side mirror, then when you shift into reverse, the mirror will tilt to your selected position. I have no idea what he did to activate it but it can be done. Contact your service managers and tell them you want it activated.

The Easy Exit feature was not able to be activated. It was attempted but just could not be done.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by SFML320
Brocktoon, great find!

This will be good for all of the US owners that has the model without the passenger mirror tilt while reverse active. I wonder if the other functions he scrolled through will work as well. I'm especially curious about the suspension settings.
Yeah, I wonder if a box like that could be rigged up for suspension height control on a 320?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
I emailed the company L-C-T that has this Vario Plus module that was seen in the video... I have not yet heard a reply, but I did some poking around their web site, and it looks like they are based in Argentina...

The interesting thing when you look at the video... It looks as though through the Module you can adjust the suspension settings as though the car has ADS... I wonder if this is the case for all GLs and not just ones that actually have the ADS switch on the console...

When I hear back from them, I will post here.

-Dan
Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM

Here is the link for the VARIOPLUS module: http://store.l-c-t.com/merchant2/mer...Store_Code=LCT

Looks like it can do several functions.

Here is what it can do:

Featuring our patented technology the module is able to:

- NEW: now with REALSPEED technology - finally allows accurate acceleration measurements
- NEW: REALSPEED can be shown in MPH or KMH
- NEW: REALSPEED has been verified to be nearly 100% accurate when compared with dyno runs
- NEW: improved window remote function - works with even more configurations
- NEW: improved security to avoid accidental window operation through the remote control
- NEW: improved boost signal detection when the signal reported can not be identified correct
- NEW: improved atmospheric pressure detection even when the data reported is incomplete
- NEW: added support for some factory radio SW versions to avoid accidental track/station changing
- NEW: improved display error handling on slower network configurations to avoid display reset
- NEW: improved radio interface to support more non standard, non OEM radio installations
- NEW: improved harness - now more flexible and at the same time more durable
- NEW: does not interfere with factory brake light assist if present
- NEW: automatically disables the flashing indicators on reverse if either turn signal is engaged
- NEW: sampling frequency has been increased for certain sensors to further enhance accuracy
- NEW: allows manual mirror adjustment when mirror is in Parking Assist position
- NEW: over 40 changes to existing functions to improve performance and compatibility
- display the calculated on pavement Horsepower and the calculated torque (in NM or lb-ft)
- display the RPM on the MFD
- highest torque value temporary hold - allows for much better reading
- display 0-60 mph time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display 0-90 mph time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display quarter mile time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display half mile time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display 0-100 kmh time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display 0-140 kmh time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display 400 metre time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display 800 metre time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- speed trap system now easier to use with all models, allows for "dirty" runs
- display the turbo boost pressure on 2.0tfsi or 1.9/2.0tdi engines on the MFD (dashboard) while driving
- change between absolute or relative boost pressure display in KPA, PSI or BAR
- highest boost value temporary hold - allows for much better reading
- show the maximum relative boost pressure recorded in BAR on each valid test run
- display the actual o2-sensor (lambda) readings on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- allowing to select between 2-6 comfort blinks (factory is only OFF or 3) on either indicator
- automatically open/close the windows with the factory key remote
- open only the front windows or all windows with your key remote - just on the push of a button
- adding a special indicator or horn sequence while you are in reverse gear
- adding emergency Brake Light Assist
- adding Mirror Park Assist (flips down the passenger side mirror so you can see the curb)
- temporary mirror park assist disable (no need to enter the menu to disable it)
- features work with all automatic or manual shift and with or without steering wheel buttons
- works with other engines as well - all functions except for the boost display page are available*
- functions can be configured through our exclusive on dash menu via the MFD
- the module can be switched off to be completely invisible to any workshop
- easy installation - takes less than 5 minutes, no additional tools required
- full plug and play installation: no wires to cut or splice!
- dual core processing power
- 90 days limited warranty

Last edited by Joyride; 04-22-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
IMHO this is all much ado about nothing.

I programmed mine to tilt and then turned it off because it's useless.

Who needs to look at their right rear tire when reversing?

Your right side mirror is convex in any event and shows you plenty in its normal position.

I've lots of prior experience horsing trucks around using only mirrors, and, again, the tilted right-side Mercedes mirror is of no use.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Originally Posted by lkchris
IMHO this is all much ado about nothing.

I programmed mine to tilt and then turned it off because it's useless.

Who needs to look at their right rear tire when reversing?

Your right side mirror is convex in any event and shows you plenty in its normal position.

I've lots of prior experience horsing trucks around using only mirrors, and, again, the tilted right-side Mercedes mirror is of no use.
Actually, the tilt feature does offer some aid while parking especially for us city folks having to deal with irregular curbs on a daily basis. Yes, I'm **** and need to be that close to the curb so some idiot driving down the street doesn't side-swipe me but too close to get curb rash on the rims.

Yes, it does seem like a lot for such a small feature that's only use during parking...but it will save hundreds if not thousands on protecting that rim. I know some owners have little use for it but I just wished MBUSA could have let owners chose whether or not to enable or disable it.

FYI...the Acura TL had tilt on both driver and passenger mirrors, talk about engineering for a city driver.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
I emailed the company L-C-T that has this Vario Plus module that was seen in the video... I have not yet heard a reply, but I did some poking around their web site, and it looks like they are based in Argentina...

The interesting thing when you look at the video... It looks as though through the Module you can adjust the suspension settings as though the car has ADS... I wonder if this is the case for all GLs and not just ones that actually have the ADS switch on the console...

When I hear back from them, I will post here.

-Dan
Okay, I heard back from them... That answers that...

Hi there!

We currently have no product available for the Mercedes GL. The product
you might have seen is no longer in production. However we have plans
on introducing a follow up product in a few months - no definite date
has been set though.
best regards

--
customer support
email support: Mo-Fr 9am-6pm pst

Important Information: Please ensure that the assigned ticket number is
used in the subject of all email replies.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM

Can't win 'em all. I called The Flames and Obama last night, so I'm on a bit of a losing streak...
Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
Tilt Mirror

Had the GL450 in for service and tried to get this done and of course dealer HBL in Tyson Corner, VA. Gave me the excuse of you have the command center back up camera which means it is not available. But you mean to tell me if no back up camera it would be available or only the 550 has it... what gives???

Help please have to pick up today and i want to go back with an intelligent response that basically says.. "Stop being lazy and program it on the back in" PlEASE... i dont' want to jack up any tires or rims...

Thanks,
Old 05-09-2008, 11:29 AM

2004 SL500 & 2008 GL450
Originally Posted by terp97
Had the GL450 in for service and tried to get this done and of course dealer HBL in Tyson Corner, VA. Gave me the excuse of you have the command center back up camera which means it is not available. But you mean to tell me if no back up camera it would be available or only the 550 has it... what gives???

Help please have to pick up today and i want to go back with an intelligent response that basically says.. "Stop being lazy and program it on the back in" PlEASE... i dont' want to jack up any tires or rims...

Thanks,

I just took mine to the dealer yesterday. Told them I want it programmed to tilt. When I picked up the car, they told me it couldn't be done. The tech's comment was 'Feature disable after MY07'. I wish someone can chime in as to exactly what screen they need to go in to do this. They're very lazy at Smythe European in San Jose, CA.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM
MKW

08 GL450
My service guy spent half an hour last week and couldn't find any program avail for our October production '08 GL 450 to drop the mirror in reverse . If someone has a similar year and US model with the back up camera ( NOT GL 550,NOT GL320,NOT Canadian ) and has been successful , please post the dealership's name here . I have not seen any documention anywhere that it has been done on the US version '08 GL450.

( recall the thread where someone claimed dealer programmed his vehicle to " chirp" when remote locking -like on cheap C classes and another feature tech says is not avail on GLs . Someone asked poster how /who did it and he never responded - oh brother )

Last edited by MKW; 05-09-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MKW
( recall the thread where someone claimed dealer programmed his vehicle to " chirp" when remote locking -like on cheap C classes and another feature tech says is not avail on GLs . Someone asked poster how /who did it and he never responded - oh brother )
Dat be me. Mirror tilt, seat slide, and chirp are all "The Loch Ness Monster" AFAIC - oft sighted, but with no hard evidence.

Color me discouraged.