I need help/tips negotiating with the dealer on a new GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550 2008 GL550
I need help/tips negotiating with the dealer on a new GL

We're really bad at negotiating for cars. What's even harder is that there is only one dealer here (FJ).

I'm looking at GL450 $71510 MSRP
-Black/Black
-P2
-iPod integration
-Running boards
-rear seat entertainment
-Keyless Go

BUT they also have a GL550 Black/Black with everything (I think) for $82k. Hubby won't let me have the 550 because he doesn't think it's worth the extra money. First of all, are these prices about the norm? And second, how much can I offer or expect the dealer to go down? And are the 550s negotiable in price to where I might be able to sway him to let me have it? These are the only two black/black cars in stock. I'd rather have the Obsidian Black but I can live with just Black.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM

that red one
For a "general" overview on prices go to:

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewCars/Prici...ss_224015.aspx
Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM

'16 528i MSport
SUV prices (due to gas/oil) are dropping very fast and you should be able to negotiate an insanely good price. Start at invoice, you should be able to walk out of there at invoice for a 450 and probably $500-1000 over invoice for a GL550
Old 04-24-2008, 02:28 PM

GL 320 CDI
BTW - Invoice is generally about 7% under sticker price in case you are not sure.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
MKW

08 GL450
A bunch of us bought these things last Fall for 1-2 K below invoice ( not below MSRP) , before the economy tanked as much as it has and before gas prices hit $4 a gallon. You should walk away from anything not in this discount range at this time . It's slow season for all car dealers ,since lots of people have just written big IRS checks or they haven't gotten their refunds yet.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 SL550 2008 GL550
So in the interest in saving time and anxiety for me, can I just tell them that I want to pay $500 over invoice and be done with it? Or will I have to "dance the dance"?

I'm pretty sure this is the only benz dealer on the island so my only other option is to buy on the mainland and ship it over.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by shoozlover
So in the interest in saving time and anxiety for me, can I just tell them that I want to pay $500 over invoice and be done with it? Or will I have to "dance the dance"?

I'm pretty sure this is the only benz dealer on the island so my only other option is to buy on the mainland and ship it over.

Even if they are the only dealer on the island, it still costs them interest when car sits plus they get additional 3% holdback of the MSRP from MBZ later .Gas must be 5 plus bucks a gallon there -doubt big SUVs are flying off lots in Paradise .
I'd offer 500-1000 below invoice and hope for invoice or 500 below for Hawaii. Too bad you don't live in dog-eat-dog SoCal !
Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Being located where you are, the MZB dealer really has you over a barrel...

They know that they are the only game in town, and if they sense that you MUST have a GL over all other vehicles, they will make you pay top dollar for it...

The best thing you can do is to look at your other options, and put together some information to share with your dealer that contains specifics...

I did this when I bought my GL... I contacted all of the dealers in AZ, but also all of the Dealers in NM, TX, NV and UT told them exactly what I wanted and ask for them to give me a price. I put this all in a spreadsheet and went down to the local (down the street dealer) and shared it with them... I told them that if they want my business over another dealer, I would need them to match the lowest offer... Otherwise it would be better for me to buy elsewhere... They matched it.

You might be able to do the same thing in HI, by using other comparable vehicles and pricing (Audi Q7, Land Rover LR3, GMC Yukon Denali are a few options) and walking into the dealer and make them think that you are indifferent between all of these choices and that you are seeking what is ultimately the best value...

Then you tell them what you are willing to pay for the GL... And be prepared to purchase if they accept your offer... Start at invoice + 1%. If they detect that you really have your heart set on a GL550, they will not budge far from MSRP.

The other option for the spreadsheet is to contact dealers in the mainland to get pricing, and then get a couple of quotes on what the shipping cost would be.... Put that in your spreadsheet... That would be your bottom line price. Make the local dealer understand that if they cannot match that price, then there is no reason why you will not just order from the mainland and have it shipped. It will be important to do your homework here, make sure that the shipping quotes are accurate as the dealer will likely know exactly what it costs to ship a vehicle.

I suspect that you will probably get the dealer to agree to meet your price.

The last piece of advice I can give you is to time your discussion with your dealer... At the end of the month or at the end of the quarter they are usually willing to make even better deals on vehicles that are sitting on the lot since they are trying to boost their sales numbers for the month.

If you start by telling them that you want to order a GL with exactly what you want, and that you are willing to order it from a mainland dealer and have it shipped... You will probably be able to get them to match the mainland dealer's price plus shipping... Then you ask what kind of price that they would give you if you buy one off of the lot that almost meets your criteria... They will likely give you a better price on one that is on the lot...

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Exclamation

I have found the most effective phrase is "I'm buying today". A GL is not some Hyundai that there are thousands of buyers for. There are not too many dudes dropping this sort of cash on cars, so as soon as a salesman knows you are serious at a high end or semi-exotic dealer they want to capture that sale, 1st of the month, or 31st. Let them know you have a budget, and that you have other options that you would be just as happy with. You also have to be prepared to walk. When you do that, your salesman really goes to work for you, because he is spending the commission the second he starts writing up the offer, and he will likely go to the sales manager and offer throw some of his commission back into the deal to "get a car on the board". Be nice about it, give them some time and a phone number, they WILL call you back.

I used to work at a Jag & Porsche place, seen it all.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP

As I'm sure you're aware, you're in the same boat as the folks in the U.K. - it's nearly impossible for you to "shop around" because of the shipping costs and being surrounded by water (though they also have that whole right-hand-drive thing in the U.K. that eliminates shopping around in, say, France).

You could see if the dealer participates in anything like the Costco membership discount or AAA or something like that?

STP
Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I used to work at a Jag & Porsche place, seen it all.
When it comes time to buy again, you're my new best bud.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
When it comes time to buy again, you're my new best bud.
AWWWW!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
For a 550 that is a good starting point. For a 450 start below the invoice.

How much does it cost to ship from mainland? You should factor that in your decision.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
I did this when I bought my GL... I contacted all of the dealers in AZ, but also all of the Dealers in NM, TX, NV and UT told them exactly what I wanted and ask for them to give me a price. I put this all in a spreadsheet and went down to the local (down the street dealer) and shared it with them...
I still have my spreadsheet, Danno One more thing the spreadsheet helps you do is compare apples to apples. With P2 and 550, options are really simplified but they didn't have either of those when I was shopping. Of course, in my case, it helped that I had as many dealers near me as Danno probably had in all of AZ, NM, TX, NV & UT combined Joys of living in MB dealer-eat-MB dealer So Cal.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 SL550 2008 GL550
I think it's about $900 to ship a car from LA, but that might have gone up with fuel prices. Thanks for all the advice. I guess this will be my weekend homework. Hopefully I'll be able to join the GL club soon.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 AM

2014 GL 450
When I bought my GL, I started off at carsdirect.com and got their pricing. I've found them to be very competitive in their pricing with the last 4 vehicles we've purchased. I go into the dealerships armed with my carsdirect.com pricing knowing the dealer can either meet the price, or I go home and click a button to get my price.

With the GL, I used carsdirect.com along with the car buying service (AutoLand) of my credit union. AutoLand beat carsdirect.com's pricing by a few hundred dollars. Like Nish, I live in the land of plentiful M-B dealers, so we have a bit more competition here than you have. Of course, your scenery is much better than ours
Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 AM
MKW

08 GL450
Also , tell the sales guy that your main interest is an Audi Q7 (or BMW X5) because they drive better , or some such excuse - but be sure said vehicle costs LESS than a GL 450 .Then propose that IF you could get the GL 450 for X below invoice , you might change your mind . ( It goes w/o saying that one NEVER appears gushy in any dealership. )
Old 04-25-2008, 11:58 AM

'13 MB GL350 BLUETEC, '10 MB E63 AMG, '95 MB S600, '84 MB 380 SEL
I always deal with the Sales & Business Manager at the dealership that I buy at. We also have only one MB dealer in the whole province. I find that if you go in there prepared, like mentioned above, knowing the prices of BMW, LEXUS, and other highend competitors they are willing to negotiate a better deal as they don't want to loose market share to BMW, Lexus, or Porsche for example of which there are also only one dealer of in the province. When I bought my GL550 not long ago I asked my Sales & Business Manager to show me the cost, which he did share with me. Manitoba beeing a small market for MB, and sales not so strong I told him what I was willing to spend. I told him straight out that I'd buy in the US should we not be able to come to an agreement. I safed a little more than 10K of the MSRP, and now have the only GL550 in the province, and I love it! I feel good about the deal, even though I know I could have saved another 8K if I bough in the US, but I didn't want to go through the hassle, the wait, shipping, etc....and I do love the Ventilated Seat Option...
Old 04-25-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I think it's about $900 to ship a car from LA, but that might have gone up with fuel prices.
If it is that low, definitely check into it. I am pretty sure you would save more then that buying in LA. Like Jen said, go to carsdirect.com and use one of SoCal zip codes (91302 is a good one) to get an idea of pricing around LA.

All the best.