GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tow Package Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL
Tow Package Install

I am considering buying a used GL450 without the tow package, but would like to add the ability to tow. Does anyone know if the MB OEM hitch is a bolt on install. Would I also need a transmission cooler and power sterring cooler to get the full 7500 lb towing capacity or are these items already installed at the factory?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
I ordered the tow hitch option on mine. Other than the hitch and the 7 pin connector I don't think anything else is included when you get this option. I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that mine does not have any additional transmission cooling or other tow related features.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by shaston
I am considering buying a used GL450 without the tow package, but would like to add the ability to tow. Does anyone know if the MB OEM hitch is a bolt on install. Would I also need a transmission cooler and power sterring cooler to get the full 7500 lb towing capacity or are these items already installed at the factory?
If I understand correctly, there's a controller that's involved. Depending on your VIN, you either have or need the controller for the tow hitch. This is not a brake controller! I believe it has something to do with the stability control system.

I've been threatening to put the tow hitch on my 320 for some time now and based on what investigations I've done, it's a dealer-installed option for me all the way. I'm not that handy, I'll break something important! (Possibly on me!)

STP
Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Would I also need a transmission cooler and power sterring cooler to get the full 7500 lb towing capacity or are these items already installed at the factory?
This is "american truck" thinking, not applicable to Mercedes.

Mercedes comes with what you will need within specs listed in owners manual.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Originally Posted by lkchris
This is "american truck" thinking, not applicable to Mercedes.

Mercedes comes with what you will need within specs listed in owners manual.
Well not quite... Try telling that to someone that had to spend a couple of grand to have their tow package installed at the dealer because the SAM (Signal Acquisition/Activation Module) unit did not include the proper functionality to work with a trailer brake controller.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
My friend just had this done. He bolted on the hitch himself but had to have a control unit/module added and programed so the car would identify the trailer and also so the trailer lights would work.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:13 PM

GL
Thanks for the feedback and information. I have called 2 dealers in the Altanta area and both service depts. have told me that a trailer hitch cannot be retrofitted. I guess I will try some more dealers. I used to be a Mechanical Engineer so I would do the mechnical bolt on myself, but would need the dealer to do the SAM programming. I just want to be sure that once complete, I get the full 7500lb towing capacity
Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 PM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Thanks for the feedback and information. I have called 2 dealers in the Altanta area and both service depts. have told me that a trailer hitch cannot be retrofitted. I guess I will try some more dealers. I used to be a Mechanical Engineer so I would do the mechnical bolt on myself, but would need the dealer to do the SAM programming. I just want to be sure that once complete, I get the full 7500lb towing capacity
That's surprising to hear. As far as I am aware the hitch can be installed after the fact by the dealer. I am pretty sure there are folks on this forum who have done it.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:48 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
That's surprising to hear. As far as I am aware the hitch can be installed after the fact by the dealer. I am pretty sure there are folks on this forum who have done it.
Believe it or not, installing a trailer hitch is not rocket science. Yes, I know there are electrical wiring considerations as well. There are many great aftermarket installers that do this for a living, and live off of their reputations. I would not hesitate to take my GL to the same people that install accessories to my Silverado. In fact, they may be more knowledgeable than the dealership in these matters, since they specialize in it.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
That is surprising, tow hitch is a dealer install option.. It is less expensive to get it as factory option, but is available as dealer option. I towed my trailer this weekend, GL's information display told me "left trailer light" was out..quick stop at auto store and few minutes later back on road..Much easier and better than finding out from a police officer
Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I was recently told when shopping for our GL that the Trailer tow package can be retro-fitted at the dealer but can cost approximately $2K to install. Not sure if this is correct as it seems very high, but was told it had to do with the 'chip' and software package that had to be installed also.

Bish
Old 05-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Almost a Member!

GL 450 and X5
My local MB dealer installed the hitch and electrical component for $1200 total. It took them a day and half because they had problems with the computer recognizing the electrical component. I hitched my trailer,connected the electrical cable to the GL and it ran as it was promised.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
If you have the 19" wheel package with the skid plates and wanted the dealer to install a hitch, does it connect underneath the skid plate or through it?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by thebishman
I was recently told when shopping for our GL that the Trailer tow package can be retro-fitted at the dealer but can cost approximately $2K to install. Not sure if this is correct as it seems very high, but was told it had to do with the 'chip' and software package that had to be installed also.
This is what I "paid" when I bought my GL off the lot.

It's typical for dealer retrofit of OE parts to cost up to four times what factory option costs. In the case of trailer hitch, the parts alone cost twice the option charge.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
If you have the 19" wheel package with the skid plates and wanted the dealer to install a hitch, does it connect underneath the skid plate or through it?
The "skid" plate for the rear is different when a trailer hitch is to be installed. It's a different part number and shaped differently. If you've already got a non-hitch plate, you'll most probably have to remove or replace it.

STP
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
The "skid" plate for the rear is different when a trailer hitch is to be installed. It's a different part number and shaped differently. If you've already got a non-hitch plate, you'll most probably have to remove or replace it.

STP
That makes sense, thanks.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Just to clarify, there are indeed two "chrome" skid plate part numbers.

For the gray plastic, hitch install instructions simply specify how to make a cutout in the plastic to clear.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkchris
Just to clarify, there are indeed two "chrome" skid plate part numbers.

For the gray plastic, hitch install instructions simply specify how to make a cutout in the plastic to clear.
Aha! Well, that's even clearer.