GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL driver advice on Disneyland?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Question GL driver advice on Disneyland?

Thinking about going down to Disneyland in September, as it looks like my Russia trip will be delayed. I am clueless about what goes down there (went to Disney World in 1977), and for such a large company their websites and sales materials are pretty poor, in that they disagree on certain points (ie: "Magic Mornings"), and/or suggest options or services without then offering them for sale, or giving you any detail about them.

I have been reading the web for like two days solid, and now I'm even more confused.

I know for sure I will be flying into LAX, and will likely be staying at the Grand Californian. My daughter is 3 1/2, but is not all that familiar with the Disney brand or any of the characters, other than maybe Nemo, and the whole "Disney Princess" concept, though she has not seen any of the movies...

Any advice from GL driving families about any of this would be most welcome...

Hope this is not too O.T., but I'm looking to my GL American pals for help.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Thinking about going down to Disneyland in September, as it looks like my Russia trip will be delayed. I am clueless about what goes down there (went to Disney World in 1977), and for such a large company their websites and sales materials are pretty poor, in that they disagree on certain points (ie: "Magic Mornings"), and/or suggest options or services without then offering them for sale, or giving you any detail about them.

I have been reading the web for like two days solid, and now I'm even more confused.

I know for sure I will be flying into LAX, and will likely be staying at the Grand Californian. My daughter is 3 1/2, but is not all that familiar with the Disney brand or any of the characters, other than maybe Nemo, and the whole "Disney Princess" concept, though she has not seen any of the movies...

Any advice from GL driving families about any of this would be most welcome...

Hope this is not too O.T., but I'm looking to my GL American pals for help.
Your definitely staying at the best Hotel for going to Disney since you can walk through private gates straight into the park without trams or cars. The Hotel is very classy and service is unbelievable. You also get mainstreet access for shopping as well as two theme parks. 3 year olds will not remember Disney very well so just enjoy yourself. My son was 3.5 when he went and forgot the whole experience. There are many rides for young ones the favorites being the jungle ride, pirates of carribean and small world after all. Disney makes adults into kids you will have a good time. Make sure to eat at some restaurants on mainstreet or Disney downtown area.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM

2014 GL 450
3 is a bit young to remember the experience, but she will certainly enjoy herself!

Attached to Disneyland is California Adventure theme park, but I believe it's for the "older" crowd (i.e. roller coasters, etc.). You and your family will have a wonderful time at Disneyland. Fantasyland is great for little kids with lots of slow rides such as Peter Pan.

Depending upon when you're here & for how long, maybe we can get a couple of the SoCal members to meet up with you (Nish?). I'm not that far from Disneyland -- only a couple of hours away.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Jen - you read my mind. When I first read Brocktoon's post my first thought was the of a GL meet in Disneyland too

Brock - like others said, your daughter is too young to remember the experience but she will have fun nonetheless. Far as advice for DLand, how long you guys are planning on staying? Also, do you plan to visit just DLand or are you planning to venture elsewhere too? If you are planning to do just DLand then you may want to fly in Santa Ana Airport (SNA) which is closer to DLand and you won't have to rent a car. I am pretty sure hotel will pick you up. Far as choice of places to stay, your choice is very good. I used to work for Disney so trust me on that one. If you are getting a vacation package, make sure your park tickets are valid for both parks (Disneyland and California adventure).

Inside the parks, there is a ton of stuff to do but not enough time Check for height requirements on the rides (sucks that they are not Disney site, I believe) and that should make it easy for where your daughter can go. Leverage the hotel staff when you get there since they know a LOT and are very helpful. There are also various locations in the park where characters show up at various time for pictures. I believe that at certain times, certain "Princess" comes out to meet the kids.

Fire away with whatever else you may have in mind.

And, anyone else interested in meeting at Disney while our Canadian brethren visit?
Old 07-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Wow, glad to hear my arrival is so well anticipated...

I will only be going for two full days, so that is the reason for LAX, as I can get a direct United/Air Canada codeshare flight, rather than sitting around SFO waiting for a closer airport.

As I will only be there for a short stay (3 nights) I would be happy to meet with any of you guys (I think a GTG would be great!) but I will have limited time. I'm all about downing some Labatts at ESPN zone or the hotel bar for a few hours, but other than that, I will be on a tight schedule, so don't go out of your way... however if you guys wanna GTG any way, might as well do it while I'm in town...I'd love to meet you!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Wow, glad to hear my arrival is so well anticipated...

I will only be going for two full days, so that is the reason for LAX, as I can get a direct United/Air Canada codeshare flight, rather than sitting around SFO waiting for a closer airport.

As I will only be there for a short stay (3 nights) I would be happy to meet with any of you guys (I think a GTG would be great!) but I will have limited time. I'm all about downing some Labatts at ESPN zone or the hotel bar for a few hours, but other than that, I will be on a tight schedule, so don't go out of your way... however if you guys wanna GTG any way, might as well do it while I'm in town...I'd love to meet you!!!
As major Disney fans (we've completely bought into the "magic"), I can tell you that three nights (two full days) can be more than enough for a smaller kid. 100% agreement that you're in "the right hotel," though it has started to age slightly and I haven't been in a couple of years. When exactly are your dates for coming down?

I've "maximized" my Disney experience a couple of times with a program called "RideMax," but that can be a bit intense. It does help ensure that you're hitting all the rides you want to try, giving you good tips on how to work the FastPass system and better times to hit certain rides. I remember when my kids first went to Disney and how much they enjoyed the whole overall experience, I envy you that.

So guys ... if we get some dates going ... maybe a GTG?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:08 PM

morning of 3rd to aft of 6th...
Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Lexus GX470
I no longer live in California but when I was there, I usually got the priority pass or quick pass or whatever they call it. I think it is $10 more per ticket and you can get in on a different line, usually very fast (like Elite boarding with Continental)
Old 07-26-2008, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cuibap
I no longer live in California but when I was there, I usually got the priority pass or quick pass or whatever they call it. I think it is $10 more per ticket and you can get in on a different line, usually very fast (like Elite boarding with Continental)
You don't mean "FastPass," which you get at each ride and is free? This is something else you can purchase at the ticket booth?

I know AAA used to have something like that which members could purchase but they discontinued it. Is this something else?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:44 AM

Lexus GX470
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
You don't mean "FastPass," which you get at each ride and is free? This is something else you can purchase at the ticket booth?

I know AAA used to have something like that which members could purchase but they discontinued it. Is this something else?
Now I doubted myself Unless I'm confused with another theme park but I remember to paid for it and used it at most of the rides to get in quicker. I could be wrong.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 AM

GL
My wife is a big Disney fanatic and she hangs out on the Disboards forum. You can find anything you need there. This is a link to the Disneyland specific threads. Have fun. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
Old 07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, I won't be able to come. Dang! I've always wondered what Canadians were like ...
Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 PM

2014 GL 450
We're leaving on the 5th for Yosemite. Bummer...I was looking forward to meeting you.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 PM

That is an awesome link, thanks shaston!

I guess I'll catch up with you guys another time, I know the days are tough 'cus it's not the week-end. If anything changes, you can still catch up with me for a cocktail.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:41 PM

1982 300Dt, 2021GLE53, 2013 GLK250, 2009 Smart Cabrio
As others have said, you picked the best hotel. It has great high end and family style restaurants inside...and best of all, not only is it connected to the Park, its also right in the middle of Downtown Disney which has more great restaurants, shops, and one of the few ESPN Zones in the world.
Cuibap...you paid for your passes at Universal more than likely...they are free at Disney.
Have fun!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
f anything changes, you can still catch up with me for a cocktail.
After a full day at D'Land, you will need a cocktail or too, for sure I am hoping we can meet but can't confirm yet so we shall see.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by oknish
After a full day at D'Land, you will need a cocktail or too, for sure I am hoping we can meet but can't confirm yet so we shall see.
I would be into that! Stay in touch!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL450
Our 2008 GL 450 has been to Disneyland three times already (purchased 11/07) and we are planning to go next month as well as during the holiday season to see all the decorations. Yes, we invested in annaul passes for the first time ever. We live in Northern CA. I have 2 girls...2 1/2 and 7mos...and my older one remembers her Disney experiences and can name the rides she wants to go again. I can help answer any specific questions you may have. A really good discussion board is www.mouseplanet.com for great trip planning info as well as park info. You'll have a great time as long as you don't mind crowds. Enjoy!

Steve
Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM

2008 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Sorry, I won't be able to come. Dang! I've always wondered what Canadians were like ...
We're much like you, only smarter, more polite, and better looking...

Oh, and colder.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Kaumajet
We're much like you, only smarter, more polite, and better looking...

Oh, and colder.
I vote for this to be the funniest 2008 post
Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
I vote for this to be the funniest 2008 post
I didn't realize they were better looking.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Which makes the post even more hilarious
Old 07-30-2008, 05:12 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
3 is a bit young to remember the experience, but she will certainly enjoy herself!

Attached to Disneyland is California Adventure theme park, but I believe it's for the "older" crowd (i.e. roller coasters, etc.). You and your family will have a wonderful time at Disneyland. Fantasyland is great for little kids with lots of slow rides such as Peter Pan.

Depending upon when you're here & for how long, maybe we can get a couple of the SoCal members to meet up with you (Nish?). I'm not that far from Disneyland -- only a couple of hours away.
Be careful with the nighttime fireworks...it scared the hell out of my 3 year old. He was first intimidated with being in such a large crowd, then night fall came with the spectacular but very loud firework show.

2 days is a must when you have kids as you need to just take the time to enjoy the park....slowly
Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
We are... and don't forget most of us get have French wives, too... even if we don't look that great.

Gotta love Canada.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
We are... and don't forget most of us get have French wives, too... even if we don't look that great.
Je ne parl pas Francais?

Oh man, I hope I said that correctly.

Gotta love Canada.
We do!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL driver advice on Disneyland?