You guessed it, DEAD BATTERY AGAIN!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Kaila, updates?
No, nothing. I called and left messages with both the MBUSA Rep and the SM at Walter's. I have not spoken to either one since Tuesday. I hate that they are ignoring me. If I didn't live so far away I would just show up at the dealership.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:16 PM

2011 GL450
I just got a call from my SA. The parts are in from Germany, but the tech is still running some diagnostics. She asked me questions like if I lock the car in the garage at night or leave my keys in it. (answer is no to both) So she is not sure what day I will get it back. Possibly Tuesday. As of today, the car has been in the shop 21 days for repairs since I bought it in March.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
IShe asked me questions like if I lock the car in the garage at night or leave my keys in it.
I wonder what in the world those two situations would have to do with anything? Sounds like they are grasping for straws to me.

I wonder if it isn't time for you to get an attorney involved in your little GL nightmare, so that "official" communication can begin between the parties (you, dealer, and MBUSA). This way, when and if it happens again, the hired gun can start taking some action on your behalf.

Clearly, I'm in a mood tonight.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:45 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I wonder what in the world those two situations would have to do with anything? Sounds like they are grasping for straws to me.

I wonder if it isn't time for you to get an attorney involved in your little GL nightmare, so that "official" communication can begin between the parties (you, dealer, and MBUSA). This way, when and if it happens again, the hired gun can start taking some action on your behalf.

Clearly, I'm in a mood tonight.
Stumblefoot, you crack me up. I am in the same "mood". I was hoping not to take the attorney route. But I will if necessary. I too believe they are grasping at straws here. I guess leaving your key in the ignition can drain the battery. How I don't know. I think they know this is it. They would love somehow to pin this on me and something "I" am doing wrong. Monday I am going to be the squeaky wheel and leave 100 messages if that's what it takes to get a return phone call. I have done a lot of reading about the California Lemon Law and know my rights. Now to just get myself heard.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 PM

MBs
I guess leaving your key in the ignition can drain the battery. How I don't know. I think they know this is it.
The dealer technical bulletin for this issue in model year 2008 GL450s makes some mention under which circumstances the battery might be drained, and how to resolve it, e.g. by updating the software or replacing the steering column module. I hope it can be resolved soon!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
You don't even qualify yet

in California to have them buy it back under the Ca. lemon law act.
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CA_law.html
Instead of mb reps local send a cert letter to MBUSA in NJ with a cc to your dealers owner and manager.That will light a fire under their asses.
It is not rocket science to isolate a short to ground or a drain on the system.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:37 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
The dealer technical bulletin for this issue in model year 2008 GL450s makes some mention under which circumstances the battery might be drained, and how to resolve it, e.g. by updating the software or replacing the steering column module. I hope it can be resolved soon!
Thanks! Me too. I already heard this song and dance in July when they swore the TSB for the rear hatch was "for sure my problem". I have a hard time believing anything they say. They are asking me to be patient in fixing this, but I think after 5 attempts, I've been pretty patient.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:40 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by ohlord
in California to have them buy it back under the Ca. lemon law act.
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CA_law.html
Instead of mb reps local send a cert letter to MBUSA in NJ with a cc to your dealers owner and manager.That will light a fire under their asses.
It is not rocket science to isolate a short to ground or a drain on the system.
I have a MBUSA Rep in NJ working on the case. I will send him a certified letter and one to the dealer as well. So far everything has been verbal. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:33 AM

GL550
This is too painful to read every few weeks, my brother in Fresno had his ML recycled with much less effort than MB is requiring of you and he never was stranded.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:48 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
This is too painful to read every few weeks, my brother in Fresno had his ML recycled with much less effort than MB is requiring of you and he never was stranded.
Maybe because I am girl (ok I said it) I am not being taken seriously. My husband is gone until Tuesday. He is home for one day and gone again for 3 days. So he is no help. Maybe I need to get mean now
Old 10-25-2008, 01:50 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Do you know which avenues your brother took? Did he dealer step up to the plate or did he need to get MBUSA involved? Or did he hire an attorney? If you could find out "how" he did it I would greatly appreciate it
Old 10-25-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I'm don't know the lemon laws, but would it be better to just see what they will give you in trade? I think my point earlier set's the expectation that you aren't driving that vehicle anymore.

I personally wouldn't be waiting for a fix. I'd be figuring out how to get into new wheels in the easiest manner possible. Legal remedies tend to never be the easiest way out - for anyone. Maybe you can get a trade for not much different than the lemon laws?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:27 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I'm don't know the lemon laws, but would it be better to just see what they will give you in trade? I think my point earlier set's the expectation that you aren't driving that vehicle anymore.

I personally wouldn't be waiting for a fix. I'd be figuring out how to get into new wheels in the easiest manner possible. Legal remedies tend to never be the easiest way out - for anyone. Maybe you can get a trade for not much different than the lemon laws?
How does the trade work with a lease? I know it would be easier with a purchase, but I am thinking there would be penalties for ending my lease early if I just wanted to trade it in. I agree that a new car is the best outcome. I do not believe they have found the problem and are just crossing their fingers that this is the problem.

The California Lemon Law basically says a complete refund of money minus a usage fee or vehicle replacement at no cost. My dad had to lemon law a ford truck several years ago and he was offered all his money back including payments (minus the usage fee) or he could pick any other car off the lot with the same sticker price. I would love to just pick out another GL and be done. They redo all your loan/lease paperwork and add the VIN# of the new vehicle and all other terms stay the same.

I just want this over with (no I am not a patient person) I am tired of driving an Audi car and really want my SUV back and be able to put this all behind me and not think of car troubles for awhile
Old 10-26-2008, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good point on lease, I don't know how that would work, but I assume there must be a way to deal with this. That's why I was thinking you need to set expectations that you aren't going to drive your vehicle anymore.

You are a much more patient person than I am. I would never be driving this vehicle in the conditions you are (away from the city, husband out on fire fighting duty, etc)
Old 10-26-2008, 11:44 AM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Good point on lease, I don't know how that would work, but I assume there must be a way to deal with this. That's why I was thinking you need to set expectations that you aren't going to drive your vehicle anymore.

You are a much more patient person than I am. I would never be driving this vehicle in the conditions you are (away from the city, husband out on fire fighting duty, etc)
I am going to make calls again tomorrow and get the certified letter off to MBUSA and my dealers stating that I do not want the vehicle anymore and that I know my rights under the CA Lemon Law. Hopefully that will drill into their thick skulls that I am truly done.
I guess I just keep going on with life because I have to. School and work don't wait or care that your car is a piece of CR** I am done being patient though, I feel I have been patient enough already.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I am going to make calls again tomorrow and get the certified letter off to MBUSA and my dealers stating that I do not want the vehicle anymore
For help with your letter, search for forum for posts by vdshenoy and autosaurus. They both got MBUSA to buy their GLs back and you can use their experience as a guideline.

Sucks that you have to even think of this route but you gotta do what you gotta do. All the best.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:32 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by oknish
For help with your letter, search for forum for posts by vdshenoy and autosaurus. They both got MBUSA to buy their GLs back and you can use their experience as a guideline.

Sucks that you have to even think of this route but you gotta do what you gotta do. All the best.
Thank you! I will search their posts. I will definitely get another GL, I love this car. Just don't trust the one I have It is unfortunate that I have to push so hard to get them to hear me. There is a simpler way to do things, they just don't seem to get it
Old 10-26-2008, 10:17 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Just emailed you the sample letter. Hope it helps. It did for me!

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 AM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
Just emailed you the sample letter. Hope it helps. It did for me!

Good luck.
Thanks again Jack! That letter is fantastic! I can't wait to get it in the mail. I appreciate your help. I will let you know the outcome
Old 10-27-2008, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Thanks again Jack! That letter is fantastic!
Jacks of this forum are really Masters
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Here, Here!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 PM

2011 GL450
I am quickly learning that
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
What's the word, Mom?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM

2011 GL450
Still being ignored by MB. I got a great letter from Jack, thank you for referring me to him. I am copying it now Will send them certified mail tomorrow.

Just wondering what I should do if they call me tomorrow and tell me my car is done. Go get it? Or tell them to keep it until they can figure out somethingh with MBUSA?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd say that's great news - it will make it easier for you to sell, but I'm not driving that car anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: You guessed it, DEAD BATTERY AGAIN!!!