GL locking/unlocking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL320
GL locking/unlocking

I have a 2008 GL 320.

After reading through the owners manual several times, am unable to find any information on how to change vehicle unlock settings.

Specifically, when the drivers door is opened vehicle running or shut off, all doors unlock.
For safety reasons, my wife would like just the drivers door to unlock.

We have changed the key programming but cannot find anything on changing the internal vehicle settings.

Thank You!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Unfortunately there is no way to have this setting, if Im not mistaken. You can however set up the unlock from the key FOB to open just the driver's door, then press a second time to unlock all 4 (but it seems like you have already done this).
Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 AM

08 GL320
Question GL locking/unlocking

I ran across something on another thread for another model.
It states that if the vehicle is locked initially the vehicle will retain the drivers door unlock only settings.

Example 1- car is in my garage unlocked, wife drives to store shuts off car, all doors will unlock.

Example-2 Car is in garage locked, wife uses key to unlock drivers door with one push of button setting enabled, drives somewhere, parks car shuts it off, only drivers door will unlock.

We tried it and it does work, but I would still like to know if an internal setting can be changed to make this a permanent change.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:34 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by CGMKCM
I have a 2008 GL 320.

After reading through the owners manual several times, am unable to find any information on how to change vehicle unlock settings.

Specifically, when the drivers door is opened vehicle running or shut off, all doors unlock.

We have changed the key programming but cannot find anything on changing the internal vehicle settings.

Thank You!
The owner's manual states that by programming the SmartKey you are changing the internal vehicle settings. Does your vehicle have Keyless Go? I am reading right now how to set this feature so when I approach the vehicle only the driver door unlocks. I must open my door and hit the unlock button to open the other doors or push the unlock button on my SmartKey twice. HTH!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 PM

08 GL320
Question GL locking/unlocking

For All,
My issue is not the key lock/unlock settings, the owners manual covers that quite well.

My issue is what happens when the ignition is switched off, or while running if the drivers door is opened, all of the doors unlock.
I want my car to only unlock the drivers door.

This is a safety issue because of car jacking, abduction, or theft of belongings while the driver is pre-occupied such as fueling etc. A woman driving alone is my concern. Forgive me for being sexist but this is my wifes car and was bought for all around safety and reliability, In that order. She drives several hundred miles per week alone.

For example, a crowded mall parking lot, my wife pulls into a parking spot, switches the vehicle off, removes key (vehicle now unlocks all doors). If She was distracted by a phone call etc. it would be a opportunity for someone to easily access the car. For those with Keyless Go, the panic button is now in your purse or a pocket, not in your hand (something to think about)

Example 2- My wife pulls into a busy fueling station, while filling up on the right side of the vehicle, someone opens the door on the left side and removes Her purse.

If you attend safety/self defense classes for women, these are some of the first things they discuss.
Don't say it can't happen because UTube has several videos where it did happen.

My 02 Volkswagen Golf has user adjustable locking features. I hoped that Mercedes Benz (the ultimate safety vehicle) also had owner selected locking options.

What I have found so far is the vehicle operator after setting the key lock/unlock features, must then lock the vehicle every time prior to starting (even if the vehicle is sitting in your garage). Then once you arrive at your destination, only the drivers door will unlock.

In my opinion, this vehicle should default to drivers door unlock only then have all doors unlock as a user selected option. This is just as important as stability control and numerous air bags, and should be a no brainer for MB.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:13 PM

GL 320 CDI '08
I have a 2008 GL 320.

Thank You!
Press and hold buttom "unlock" simultaneously for approximately 5 seconds until battery check lamp flashes twise.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:52 PM

2011 GL450
For All,
My issue is not the key lock/unlock settings, the owners manual covers that quite well.

My issue is what happens when the ignition is switched off, or while running if the drivers door is opened, all of the doors unlock.
I want my car to only unlock the drivers door.

This is a safety issue because of car jacking, abduction, or theft of belongings while the driver is pre-occupied such as fueling etc. A woman driving alone is my concern. Forgive me for being sexist but this is my wifes car and was bought for all around safety and reliability, In that order. She drives several hundred miles per week alone.

For example, a crowded mall parking lot, my wife pulls into a parking spot, switches the vehicle off, removes key (vehicle now unlocks all doors). If She was distracted by a phone call etc. it would be a opportunity for someone to easily access the car. For those with Keyless Go, the panic button is now in your purse or a pocket, not in your hand (something to think about)

Example 2- My wife pulls into a busy fueling station, while filling up on the right side of the vehicle, someone opens the door on the left side and removes Her purse.

If you attend safety/self defense classes for women, these are some of the first things they discuss.
Don't say it can't happen because UTube has several videos where it did happen.

My 02 Volkswagen Golf has user adjustable locking features. I hoped that Mercedes Benz (the ultimate safety vehicle) also had owner selected locking options.

What I have found so far is the vehicle operator after setting the key lock/unlock features, must then lock the vehicle every time prior to starting (even if the vehicle is sitting in your garage). Then once you arrive at your destination, only the drivers door will unlock.

In my opinion, this vehicle should default to drivers door unlock only then have all doors unlock as a user selected option. This is just as important as stability control and numerous air bags, and should be a no brainer for MB.
Gotcha, thought you were talking about approaching the vehicle. That feature would be nice.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
FROM THE MANUAL

"Factory settings
To unlock centrally: press the button.

The turn signals flash once. The locking knobs in the doors pop up. The anti-theft alarm system* is deactivated.

When it is dark, the surround lighting also comes on if it is activated in the on-board computer.

If you do not open either a door or the tailgate after you have unlocked the vehicle, it will automatically relock after approximately 40 seconds.

I guess that's all there is...

To lock centrally: press the button.

The turn signals flash three times if the doors and tailgate are closed. The locking knobs in the doors drop down. The anti-theft alarm system* and the immobiliser are primed.

Individual settings
You can change the setting of the locking system in such a way that pressing the button only unlocks the driver's door and the fuel filler flap. This could be useful if you frequently travel on your own.

To change the setting: press the and buttons simultaneously for approximately six seconds until the battery check lamp flashes twice.

The key now functions as follows:

To unlock the driver's door: press the button once.

To unlock centrally: press the button twice.

To lock centrally: press the button.

Restoring the factory settings
Press the and buttons simultaneously for approximately six seconds until the battery check lamp flashes twice."

I guess that's all there is, dude.

Last edited by Brocktoon; 01-03-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM

08 GL320
GL locking/unlocking

To all,

I really do understand the key settings, in regards to unlocking my GL (owners manual clearly explains settings and I understand).
What I am looking for is after the car is driven and the autolocks do their thing at 9 MPH, what happens when the car is switched off. If all doors unlock (Not what I want to happen) or does just the drivers door unlock (what I want)?

I was hoping that someone would chime in with GLs in Morocco (for example) when shut off have just the drivers door unlock. I would then tell my dealer to program my vehicle using Morocco settings. Not unlike those folks that want to hear chirps when locking or unlocking there vehicles.

I believe that only the drivers door should unlock and not the whole vehicle. At least I would like to know my options as the owner.
If anyone has any information on vehicle settings not involving holding down buttons on keys, I would like to hear from you. Thank You!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Perhaps the way to achieve what you want would be to manually raise the locking knob on the driver's door before you open it. I haven't tested this, but I'm guessing this would prevent the other doors from unlocking.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 PM

2011 GL450
Ok, I think I might of found it for you. On page 89 of the owners manual, is states: "If the vehicle was previously locked with the central locking switch (inside the car) and the SmartKey is set to selective settings, only the front door opened from INSIDE is unlocked". The selective setting for the SmartKey allows only the driver door to be unlocked when approaching the vehicle and only the driver door to be unlocked from the INSIDE of the vehicle. Selective settings are on page 87 where is states "If you frequently travel alone....."

So, just for you, I experimented and it worked! I programmed my SmartKey to only unlock the driver door when I approach it. Then I drove the car around the block and back to my garage (doors now locked) When I shut off the car and pulled the handle on the inside driver door, only the driver door unlocked. Hope this helps your wife. It will sure help me as I travel alone and with kids quite often and didn't like that their doors unlocked

Last edited by MomsBenz; 01-04-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 PM

2007 GL450
Unlocking Issues

I have found the same problem as CGMKCM. I do not want all four doors to open when the driver's door is opened, a when going to get gas. However, I have found that sometimes, when I open the driver's door, the other three doors open and there have been other times when I open the driver's door the other doors stay locked. It's not random, but I can't figure it out. I haven't spent any time trying to test it. I think it has something to do with when you actually open the drivers door in realtion to when the engine has been turned off or not.

This thread has inspired me to test it.

I am going to try driving the truck and have the doors automatically lock. The stop, put the truck in Park but do not shut off the engine. Open the driver's door. See what the other doors do. Then shut off the truck and see what the other doors do. The other test is to stop, put it in Park and shut off the engine and then open the drivers door and see what the other doors do.

I think it is related to when the engine is turned off in the order of things, but I may be crazy!!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 PM

I'm with Kaila, I think it is controlled by the key setting.

Just an FYI, when I get fuel I open the gas flap, then lock the doors so I don't forget if the card reader is down, or if I have to go to the attendant for some reason. Plus everyone loves the flashing folding mirrors.

gordongl450: give it a try and let us know! Maybe you have two keys with different programs...
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Kaila and I are wrong. I just tried everything in my GL, and all the doors are opening...
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 AM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Kaila and I are wrong. I just tried everything in my GL, and all the doors are opening...
Really? It worked in mine. I will try it again tomorrow, but when I got to the garage only the driver door would unlock unless I hit the button on the door. Maybe it is an '09 feature?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 AM

Correction:

Kaila right, me wrong.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 AM

08 GL320
GL locking/unlocking

Thanks everyone but I also figured out the work around.
If the vehicle is always locked using the remote with the correct settings, the system works the way I want it to.
I don't think it makes sense to lock the vehicle when it is parked in my own garage, but Mercedes knows best.
I am still hoping someone from another country has different settings than U.S. or Canada and I can get the dealer to reset my system. Again, my 02 VW Golf has user selectable locking unlocking options. Mercedes sold VW or worked with VW on the mobiliser system.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Correction:

Kaila right, me wrong.
LOL!! Did you get it to work? I will test it again today when I take the kids to school
Old 01-05-2009, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
A flip side of only unlocking driver door is in case, and god forbid this should ever happen to anyone, of an accident. In that case the folks in back seats don't have a good option to get out of the car in a hurry.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by oknish
A flip side of only unlocking driver door is in case, and god forbid this should ever happen to anyone, of an accident. In that case the folks in back seats don't have a good option to get out of the car in a hurry.
I thought all the doors were unlocked after an accident (if the sensor detected enough force)? Does the selective setting change that? Gosh, now I don't know what I want. Not that I plan on being in any accidents, but you never know.

BTW-I tried it again when I took my kids to school. My car was unlocked in the garage all night, all doors. We got in left for school, doors locked a 9mph. Got to school hit unlock and kids got out. Drove home, pulled in the garage, turned the car off and reached for the driver door handle. When I opened it only the driver door unlocked. This worked for me and I didn't have to lock my car in the garage either.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
I thought all the doors were unlocked after an accident (if the sensor detected enough force)? Does the selective setting change that?
Good one, Kaila. I think I might get my money's worth from Tel-Aid and call them to ask this.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 PM

08 GL320
Talking GL locking/unlocking

Hi All,

I tested mine extensively and mine has to be locked to retain the drivers door unlock feature as I stated in my previous posts.
Perhaps the 09s are different.
The other possibility is that the country of Kalifornia has different settings than the United States.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 PM

2011 GL450
Good one, Kaila. I think I might get my money's worth from Tel-Aid and call them to ask this.
Did you find out? Mine is still in the selective settings mode only unlocking the driver door unless I hit the button on the inside of the drivers door to unlock the rest.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
Did you find out? Mine is still in the selective settings mode only unlocking the driver door unless I hit the button on the inside of the drivers door to unlock the rest.
Unfortunately, no, since I didn't even get a chance to drive today. Tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 PM

2011 GL450
Unfortunately, no, since I didn't even get a chance to drive today. Tomorrow.
If I get a chance I will ask too. I haven't activated my TeleAid or Sirius radio yet With all the bad weather I haven't really driven it. It still has less than 300 miles on

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL locking/unlocking