GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Considering Purchasing GL 320 CDI: Any Advice/Opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 X5 35d, 2010 750 Li Xdrive
Considering Purchasing GL 320 CDI: Any Advice/Opinions?

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the MB forum today, I am a newbee when it comes to Mercedes Benz so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to everyone in advance for your help.

Here's the situation: My current car lease will expire in November and I am very intrested in purchasing a GL 320 CDI. I am leaning toward a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle. My first question is is there room to negotiate with CPO vehicles as there is with brand new car purchases? If there is how much can you negotiate? Any tips on negotiating w/ CPO cars? I live in the Piladelphia area, does the area matter in how much these cars go for? I am intrested in a 2008 year model, are there any issues that exist with this particular year as opposed to a 2007? I believe there is a 50,000 mile warranty, is it a worthwhile investment to get the extended factory warranty since it's a used car?

The reason why I am leaning toward the MB GL 320 CDI is due to the size of the car and fuel efficency of the diesel engine. I do not tow anything, but I do like to bring my parents and extened family on trips. Is the 320 CDI engine adequate in these situations. Also I do a lot of home improvement, how is the storage capacity?

The other vehicles that I am considering are:

Audi Q7 (no diesel CPO, but I think they will have one by the end of the year)
Mazda CX-9: in a different luxury class, but also seats 7-8 people and maybe more reliable than GL 320 CDI (not sure)
Buick Enclave: I never even considred it till one of my coworkers mentioned it to me. It seems spacious enough, but RELIABILTY??
Acura MDX: pretty consistent reliabilty, Value
Lexus GX: don't really like the way the 3rd row is configured, also side open back door

I know these cars are not exactly comparable in every aspect, but I'm sure some of you have considred these before purchasing the GL, if you have any other options please feel free to mention.

Does anybody have any regrets buying a CPO from Mercedes Benz? Or regrets aboout the GL 320 CDI?

I know there are a lot of questions, but I figured there are a lot of people here with good advice. Thanks for taking the time, if I missed anything please feel free to add. Look forward to your responses.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by clymer
Hi Everyone,
Hi, Newbie!

I am very intrested in purchasing a GL 320 CDI. I am leaning toward a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle.
First things first - negotiating will be different for every dealership, but I believe it'll be difficult to find may pre-owned GL320's as those of us with them have some sort of bizzarre aversion to the Bluetec system. Something to do with losing the spare tire, having to use run-flats, having yet another fluid to check and re-fill at our own cost, and losing 1 MPG (though the last point's debatable). That said, they're probably out there and you may even have some choices with colors and options. Oh, and from this CDI owner, I can say I really agree with your choice to go with CPO versus new.

The reason why I am leaning toward the MB GL 320 CDI is due to the size of the car and fuel efficency of the diesel engine. I do not tow anything, but I do like to bring my parents and extened family on trips. Is the 320 CDI engine adequate in these situations. Also I do a lot of home improvement, how is the storage capacity?
It's good. It's not an Excursion, but it's very good and with the full-flat most-rear seats and nearly-fully-flat middle row (it leans up just the slightest bit) it verges on cavernous.

The other vehicles that I am considering are:
This is purely my own opinion and not based on any fact whatsoever, but ... the Audi will be in the shop more than it's on the road. The Buick will be bigger and frankly Buick's gotten some good reliability ratings lately (go fig!). Both the Mazda and the Lexus will be precision built by people who think it's more important to properly align the hood to the car than go home and watch the kids grow up (okay, that's a stereotype, but still they're built to exceptionally high tolerances) and the Acura will be smallish but still feel like more car than you paid for.

That said, there's nothing like driving a Mercedes. There's something about the way they love to drive, they build cars that you enjoy being in on the road. I've had mine for under 2 years and it's got over 50,000 miles on it already. I've driven from Scottsdale to Las Vegas and back on one tank (and yes, getting a car that runs on 'the dark fuel' was about my biggest consideration in moving from my LX470). All that low end torque with the turbo just throws you off the line, and it's stable as a rock at high speeds. Then you find a curve and take it just a little too fast, and she hangs right in there with a bit more body lean than a sedan but every bit of the sure-footedness you need to feel confident. Darn it, it's nearly spiritual!

I know there are a lot of questions, but I figured there are a lot of people here with good advice. Thanks for taking the time, if I missed anything please feel free to add. Look forward to your responses.
You have no idea what a great resource you've tapped in to here. This is someplace I wish I'd visited before getting my GL, just to solidify a few things. A#1 choice in doing so on your part, my friend! Good luck!

STP
Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I was in the exact same boat last year. I think if you drive all of them, as I did, you will find the GX the closest in overall awesomeness to the GL, but the rear seats and higer price, insurance and interest rate made my decision pretty easy. The Enclave/Acadia makes a good arguement, but the puny brakes and poor road feel combined with virtually no residual value make it no better than the minivas it replaced.

The Acura (in my market, at least), was more expensive in it's highest trim level on an all in (fuel, insurance, payment, depr.) a month than a cautiously optioned GL 320. It also gave me the feeling of driving a refigerator.

The Audi is OK, but with a full passenger load, the base VR6 is sure to struggle, as it is barely accepable in the lighter 5 passenger Touareg.

As for the Mazda, I did not drive it, it seemed a little too tinny and a "mom" car. (Like MY mom, not Kuamajet's Yummy Mummies)...

If I was in your shoes, I would check out the:

Acadia (the Enclave twin is a fake, wanna be Lexus), and the Hyundai Veracruz in the pure bang for bux category.

Money (and headaches) no object, LR3;

best overal value/experience GL CDI.

Happy shopping.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome and your advice!! Both of you seem really happy w/ your purchase. I also had another question (what a suprise!!) when it's a CPO, can the car ever be a factory buyback? Is that something they would have to disclose to the prospective buyer? Thanks everyone, keep the responses coming
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the welcome and your advice!! Both of you seem really happy w/ your purchase. I also had another question (what a suprise!!) when it's a CPO, can the car ever be a factory buyback? Is that something they would have to disclose to the prospective buyer? Thanks everyone, keep the responses coming
No idea on the CPO issue, I keep wondering when the ex-Mom'sBenz machine will turn up in new hands around here...

As for being happy, I don't think I have ever been as satisfied with any car I have ever owned. I could care less about the brand of car I drive, I have nothing to prove, so I drove all seven seaters on the market (except Mazda, Journey & Pilot). If I did not tow, the Acadia would have seriously been in the running, but the brakes were a bit scary, and the steering feel is very poor, but an extra CAD$ 25,000 in your pockets can help you forgive a lot. On the other hand, I know that by now, had I gone GM, I would have been pining for something else, but with the GL, I know there is nothing better on the market, nor could I desire anything more. Have you driven one? If it is in your price range, you owe it to yourself before you get anything else.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
As for being happy, I don't think I have ever been as satisfied with any car I have ever owned. I could care less about the brand of car I drive, I have nothing to prove ...
+1000
Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 PM

2011 BMW X5d, 2011 Nissan Leaf and Kubota L39 Tractor!
You can goto www.mbusa.com and do a search on all CPO 2008 Gl320 in the US.

MB will not sell a CPO extended warranty on a buyback.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
+1000
"Did you ever know that you're my hero?"
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
I am very pleased with my '08 GL 320 CDI, which is my first diesel vehicle. I needed a third row and also looked at the Acura MDX and the Q7 - the third row on each of these was not usable for any period of time by average sized adults, and the fuel economy is poor. By contrast, the third row in the GL is quite comfortable and overall the vehicle seems more spacious. The handling is rock solid, and the diesel's fuel economy and highway range sealed the deal for me.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 PM

2008 GL320CDI
"Did you ever know that you're my hero?"
Get a room, you two.

Echo the comments on the GL - I love this car.

I've said this in here before; I was always a Toyo / Honda fan. Then I had two Volvo XCs and they changed the way I look at cars. There was something 'different' about them. I've had Japanese motorcycles, but have owned BMWs since '94. Again, I ride brilliant offerings from Japan, but there's something missing.

When I went to replace the last XC70 for something bigger, I looked at all the SUVs. I really wanted a Diesel, which is what brought me to M-B, and it was back-to-back test drives in the GL and Lexus that made me realize what it was about Japanese cars that I felt was missing - they can put a cord of burled walnut into a 4-Runner if they want, but it still doesn't have any soul. That's what my brace of BMW Boxers, the two XCs and now the GL all share - they may not be as drop-dead reliable as a Civic or a Gold Wing, but they have soul.

My buddy just got the Buick this week. Looks like a nice car, but I haven't really had a good look at it. He keeps comparing it to the GL, which may be a sign Another friend has a Navigator, and that just makes me laugh every time I get in it.

Like Brocktoon, I couldn't care less what the hood ornament says. I never really pictured myself driving a Benz, now I don't know how I can ever go back.

YMMV.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM

GL320 CDI, SL550
Welcome Cly:

I have an 08 GL320 and think it is the best car I've ever owned. Never had a diesel before, never had an SUV before, and I just think it's the best car ever. You can't go wrong with this one!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:10 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Okay, I will put in my two cents:

First of all, the GL320 is a great vehicle... We own one and we are very happy with it.

I suspect that you are probably going to find a hard time negotiating a good deal on a diesel though... In fact, you may not be able to find very many of them. They could not sell the diesels brand new in CA, NY, MA, MN and VT. But they can sell the used ones. There is enough of a market pull from CA and NY in particular for the used ones, that lots of them are sent there for the CPO program and supply and demand economics are keeping the CPO prices high on these.

There are some quirks and bugs associated with the 2007 and 2008 models (some recalls and such to get the bugs worked out) but overall they are pretty good on reliability.

One of our requirements was minimum towing capacity of 7K lbs. If not for that requirement we likely would have ended up with a completely different vehicle...

If you are looking for an efficient vehicle with lots of storage capacity that can comfortably fit 7+ passengers on a trip but do not need the towing capacity... I hate to say it but I think you might be looking at the wrong kind of vehicle.

You really should seriously take a look at minivans... I know I know... You are thinking "a minivan? no way Jose, too much of a stigma associated with them... I am not old nor to I care to be labeled as a hockey mom!"

My wife and I felt the same way... But when you actually go and look at them, climb around in them, and really see how much utility they offer, it can really change your mind. One of the best out there at the moment is the Chrysler/Dodge line... The seats fold into the floor so easily, both side doors slide open, you can pivot the middle row of seats around and set up a little card table... That is really nice for long trips.

If you are not quite ready for a minivan, and still would like to pursue the SUV route... I would suggest looking at some of the crossovers that are available on the market...

The Mercedes R class is actually really nice. It only seats 6 (3 sets of captain's chairs, and it does not have much towing capacity, but it DOES come with the Diesel engine... And did not sell as well as Mercedes anticipated, so you can probably negotiate a great deal on one.. Probably much more so than the GL class.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
This is a great vehicle. It is my first Mercedes. I have had A Range Rover and an X5. I have had no issues. Sold on diesels.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I know the minivan idea from a functional/practical viewpoint is an excellent idea. BUT, I feel my vanity gets in the way here I'm only 33 years old, no children yet, unmarried etc.. and I can't see myself driving a minivan yet. Not to say I that I'll never consider it. The R class is a great idea, the styling is okay, sometimes I like it, sometimes it looks "odd". However, if I could get a significant savings on it, then maybe.

Also how are the 2nd Row Seats, I have read some reviews that the support/comfort is less than adequate. Any truth to these statements? Thanks!!

Last edited by clymer; 02-27-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 02-27-2009, 07:48 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
I think the 2nd row seats are good for 2nd row seats. The 3rd row seats are class leading, mostly due to the recessed foot area, which also allows them to fold down and have a flat surface for hauling.

I have been driving diesels for many years and this one is incredible. The torque and HP produced by such a small package still amazes me, and the 7 speed tranny is the perfect match for it. I only wish everyone else would come out with diesel options in their lighter duty pickups to replace my C3500 Silverado. I no longer need a truck that can pull 13.5K, but I will not consider anything other than a diesel.

BTW, my wife drives the GL 320 and she is in love with it. This is her 3rd diesel.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
As you have seen in some of the responses, the diesel should hold its value MUCH better than ANYTHING gas powered. That = less total cost by a bunch!
The GL is NOT a sport car and doesn't pretend to be. It is simply the nicest, smoothest, easiest to drive car on the highway I have ever driven. Even if you don't need the tow capacity, the ability to haul lots of folks and its large storage capacity is a deal maker. We only have one or two people in ours most of the time, but when the time comes to pick up the grandkids and go to the beach, we are ready. Same when the time comes to pick up family at the airport. Nothing else comes close.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Yes, I have noticed that the 320 CDI holds its value much better than the GL 450 or 550. Also, less inventory so harder to get, less room to bargain but the economy is in a major slump so I doubt people are lining up to purchase cars right now. So that will work in my favor. How is the car with passing power lets say with 4 people going around 70 mph and highway merging? Is there power to spare or does it get weaker as you are up in speed. I don't have much experience with Turbo diesels, so bear w/ me. So far all my research has been on the internet, and I will eventually get around to test driving a majority of the cars on my list from the OP. I appreciate all the real world owners experience. In regards to the 07-08 models what are some negatives that you can think of regarding the 320 CDI. So far I am leaning toward the MB GL 320 CDI 08 model b/c fuel efficiency, space, styling, better reliabilty etc.. Also are the diesel engines less prone to mechanical problems in the long run? I plan to keep the vehicle for the long haul. Thanks!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:09 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Also are the diesel engines less prone to mechanical problems in the long run? I plan to keep the vehicle for the long haul. Thanks!!!
You just mentioned the diesels No. 1 virtue.

The short version is; diesel fuel has a longer burn time than gasoline. Therefore each piston can have a longer stroke, resulting in lower RPM's, and more torque. Therefore, if both were built equal (they are not) the diesel would have many many less revolutions on it in it's lifetime. However, the bonus is that they are built much heavier (crankshaft, rods, rod bearings, main bearings, etc.) than a gas engine due to the higher compression ratio.

Last edited by scottybdiving; 02-28-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 AM

How is the car with passing power lets say with 4 people going around 70 mph and highway merging? Is there power to spare or does it get weaker as you are up in speed.
You will find it never lacks for power at reasonable highway speeds, however if you cruise around at 90 miles an hour all day, economy will fall off quite a bit. As for merging and stoplight sprints it will please you as well, I have never missed a spot I needed even on very short merge lanes. I find if you apply the throttle in a building fashion, rather than mashing it you get a lot more out of the turbo, and it makes passing very easy. (ie: having the turbo into boost before you go to full throttle). It takes only a day or two before you get the feel of it. On the other hand, mashing it works just fine, too but with all the torque, your passenges may start to complain about their necks.

There are no known major flaws in the '08 CDI, and I think it is a pretty solid buy. There are some known issues though, and I would make sure that on an '07 the turbo hose recall is done, and on any model, the latest transmission software is installed.

Now go drive it.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Here's the same engine (slightly derated 197hp vs 215 in th GL) in an S-Klasse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HSX7NrI24M

that should answer your questions about on the road power.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On the other hand, mashing it works just fine, too but with all the torque, your passenges may start to complain about their necks.
Well, that and the "One-chimpanzee, two chimpanzee, three!" count before the engine even responds to a full-stop foot mash.

STP
Old 03-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Thanks for all the information so far. You guys have been great w/ the real world info. I will test drive the soon, probably try the 320CDI first, then use that as a comparison when I try the other cars on my list. Thanks for the video link Brocktoon!