GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Roof rack cross bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450; 2005 TL; 1986 IROC-Z28
Roof rack cross bars

I learned something new. I got my '07 a few weeks ago and it has the MB cross bars on the roof rack. Unfortunately there were no keys for it and you need to unlock it to move it etc. Went to the dealer since there is a code imprinted on the locks and was told by parts they can't get the key (they looked into it before), only alternative was to buy four new end caps with the locks. Worst part was they needed to either have service break off the existing ends (didn't inspire confidence), or I could go to a locksmith and have them pick the locks and remove them. I emailed MB through the owner's link and they responded they would look into it. I called back a week later to follow up and was told I could get keys directly through Thule's website. I guess they make the crossbars. Ordered the keys online with the lock number, got them a few days later and for a total of about ten bucks I was in business. Thought I'd pass this on in case it helps anyone else in the same boat.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by redroc14
Thought I'd pass this on in case it helps anyone else in the same boat.
Excellent information and exactly what this forum is all about!

(Funny looking Mercedes in your avatar, though.)

STP
Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by redroc14
I learned something new. I got my '07 a few weeks ago and it has the MB cross bars on the roof rack. Unfortunately there were no keys for it and you need to unlock it to move it etc. Went to the dealer since there is a code imprinted on the locks and was told by parts they can't get the key (they looked into it before), only alternative was to buy four new end caps with the locks. Worst part was they needed to either have service break off the existing ends (didn't inspire confidence), or I could go to a locksmith and have them pick the locks and remove them. I emailed MB through the owner's link and they responded they would look into it. I called back a week later to follow up and was told I could get keys directly through Thule's website. I guess they make the crossbars. Ordered the keys online with the lock number, got them a few days later and for a total of about ten bucks I was in business. Thought I'd pass this on in case it helps anyone else in the same boat.

That is great news! Wish I would of known about it 7 months ago MB had to "break" mine off as the keys were lost before delivery. At least the total expense was on MB, but they could of saved themselves some money!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
MKW

08 GL450
One other thing re the OEM crossbars ( they don't come with directions ):

you must pull off the rubber strip across the top , loosen the four allen bolts with supplied allen wrench and adjust the lenghths so that the latches catch properly on the underside of rails . My front bar was 1/2 -3/4 inch too short and barely contacted one rail .
Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM

2007 GL450; 2005 TL; 1986 IROC-Z28
Good to know about adjusting the width. I know that when I would hae went to put the cargo box on the roof that would have stumped me! Thanks

Re. the avatar - That was my first new car, managed to hang on to it and now 23 years later it just turned 40,000 miles.

I like to think I pre-planned my midlife crisis
Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2018 AMG GTR, gone 2017 AMG GT, 2015 GL 550, 2008 GL320, 1992 e500
I am glad you got it figured out. When I purchased my Atlantis Thule Roof Cargo, they keyed the Cargo box the same as the cross bar, I was impressed.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Be nice if the plastic lock holders were available as a separate replacement part.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:38 AM

2007 GL320cdi
Originally Posted by MKW

you must pull off the rubber strip across the top , loosen the four allen bolts with supplied allen wrench and adjust the lenghths so that the latches catch properly on the underside of rails . My front bar was 1/2 -3/4 inch too short and barely contacted one rail .
Thank you so much! I have the same problem with my front bar.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 PM

Does anyone have any pics of the cross bars or part numbers? I got a set of MB cross bars installed on my '07. They do not look like others that I have seen. The come with four separate mounting clamps and two bars. They also sit up higher. The other ones that I have seen seem more integrated and appear to only be the bars and not the four clamps. Any advice?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by SPLe320
Does anyone have any pics of the cross bars or part numbers? I got a set of MB cross bars installed on my '07. They do not look like others that I have seen. The come with four separate mounting clamps and two bars. They also sit up higher. The other ones that I have seen seem more integrated and appear to only be the bars and not the four clamps. Any advice?
It sounds like you have the "Roof Rack Basic Carrier" instead of the "Crossbars". Go to the mbusa website and build a 2010. In the accessories section they have a picture of the Basic Carrier with a bike attached. When I purchased my 09, I requested the Crossbars and they put the Basic Carrier on. The dealership took the Basic Carrier back. I had trouble buying the cross bars though because then end caps kept being delivered with broken clips that hold the end caps on. I think I had to order 3 sets before I got crossbars without broken end caps. The cross bar part number is 6781212864.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Yes, thanks. I have the Roof Rack Basic Carrier. Yes, I want the Cross Bars. I appreciate your help.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
09 GL450
I need cross bars as well. Should I go with MB or Thule? Do they fit the same? I'd like to make sure that whatever I buy fits right.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:04 PM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by GLguy
I need cross bars as well. Should I go with MB or Thule? Do they fit the same? I'd like to make sure that whatever I buy fits right.
Guys, this post made me think of going out and checking the 3rd set of crossbars I've gotten which are still in the box to see if the bottom endcaps were all in proper working order. I did and again, despite being "checked" by the dealership parts dept., one of the bottom caps was loose because a plastic tab was broken. I can't imagine the cap staying on at 65+ mph. So, just check the bottom of the endcaps if you order the crossbars and make sure they fit snugly. If not, they are probably broken. There are only three little plastic clips to hold them on. If you unlock the top cap, you can see the clips on the bottom cover. Maybe the chrome crossbar endcaps are sturdier?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM

09 GL450
Do Thule have the same problem?

Can you take a picture of that plastic piece so we know what to check? Is it just a cosmetic thing, or, cross bar won't fit if it's broken?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by 43221B
Guys, this post made me think of going out and checking the 3rd set of crossbars I've gotten which are still in the box to see if the bottom endcaps were all in proper working order. I did and again, despite being "checked" by the dealership parts dept., one of the bottom caps was loose because a plastic tab was broken. I can't imagine the cap staying on at 65+ mph. So, just check the bottom of the endcaps if you order the crossbars and make sure they fit snugly. If not, they are probably broken. There are only three little plastic clips to hold them on. If you unlock the top cap, you can see the clips on the bottom cover. Maybe the chrome crossbar endcaps are sturdier?
They are not. I received broken caps but the box was damaged. My chrome bars have been trouble free for two years.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by GLguy
Do Thule have the same problem?

Can you take a picture of that plastic piece so we know what to check? Is it just a cosmetic thing, or, cross bar won't fit if it's broken?

Thanks
It is 100% cosmetic but I still don't want to pay MB prices for the crossbars if there is anything wrong with them. The bottom of the metal clamp is exposed without the cover. If it is the rear crossbar, it probably wouldn't be too noticeable. If it is the front, it will be. You could drill a hole through the cover and clamp and secure with a bolt and nut. I will only consider doing this if I get a major discount. Still not sure what I'm going to do but I need crossbars. Not sure if Thule has comparable bars I could buy direct. I think most of their stuff is going to look aftermarket. If I'm going that route, I'll go back to the basic carrier.

Picture #1: Both top and bottom covers
Picture #2: Pointing to the lower cover that is loose.
Picture #3: Bar is turned over. Shows one missing clip. Note that there should be two small clips holding cover against opposing single wider clip.
Picture #4: Broken clip.
Picture #5: Broken clip with top cover.
Attached Thumbnails Roof rack cross bars-cover-1.jpg   Roof rack cross bars-cover-2.jpg   Roof rack cross bars-cover-3.jpg   Roof rack cross bars-cover-4.jpg   Roof rack cross bars-cover-5.jpg  

Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 PM

09 GL450
Thanks for picture! I know now what to look for. I think I am going to order mine locally, so I can inspect them when picking up.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:27 PM

15 GL550
Dealership is crediting me $100 + tax and I'm going to drill and put a small black bolt and nut on each of the covers. They agreed that it appears that almost all of the covers have broken clips. They were pretty cool about it and apologetic. I noticed that two of the other covers that are secure have clips that are very close to breaking off, so watch for that too. I'll probably drill each just to make sure they don't come off. The bolt should be unnoticeable.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by MKW

Great! Got my bars today and if it weren't for this tip, I'd be quite frustrated.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 AM

GL450
How much do tahy cost? I just bough 2008 model.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM

ML500
Please help, I also need keys for M class cross bars. Keys don't have any code. Please see pictures..