GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

coolant for GL 320 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL320 CDI, '10 Range Rover HSE
coolant for GL 320 CDI

I need to get some coolant for my GL and dealer is closed. The tank is pretty low. What non MB coolants have the right specs and will work properly in the engine.

The manual says:

'If the coolant level is low, water and MB 325.0 Anticorrosion/Antifreeze should be used to bring it up the proper level" MB 325.0."

It also says " To Provide important corrosion protection. the solution must equaul at least 50% anticorrosion/antifreeze to protect.

I am no longer under warrenty, i don't need to worry about voiding it.

What can i buy to top off tank, and do I then should it be mixed 50/50 with water?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It's more than "voiding warranty" and you need to be really careful.

The only non-MB coolant you should use is Zerex G05
http://www.valvoline.com/products/br.../antifreeze/42

The original coolant in these cars is specified good for 15 years.

It is NOT normal that you need to add some and it would be good to treat the disease and not just the symptom.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 PM

I saw that the zerex g05 is reccommended, but couldn't find it at local auto stores. I will just get it tomorrow at the dealer.

I don't think I have a leak. my indicator did came on, and i checked and saw i am an inch or 2 low in the overflow tank. my 08 gl has 60,000 miles on it. I see no evidence that the car is laking any fluids.

do you really think this is symtom of a serious issue?

I seriously hope not. i am towing a boat to canada with the car later this week!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 AM

2010 GL350 Steel Gray
There is the possibility of a leak somewhere, in which case you should monitor the level in the overflow tank carefully for a while to see that there is drop in the level of coolant. Its hard to see all the places where coolant could be leaking from unless you can get the car up on a lift to get a good look. Check your oil to make sure it is the proper amber color, not looking like mayonaise which would mean a blown head gasket. It could be something as simple as a bad radiator cap that is not holding pressure and bubbling up into the overflow tank and blowing off some coolant. If you do find coolant disappearing again I would take it to a qualified mechanic, preferably an MB dealer who is probably the best bet. Your vehicle is worth quite a bit. No sense taking chances on having expensive damage occur to your engine.
Follow the recommendations for coolant that MB gives. A lot of antifreeze isnt compatible with the aluminum which is used in these engines and causes corrosion.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
A pressure test is the method to determine whether there is a leak.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 PM

I picked up some coolant at the dealer today. They indicated it isn't unusual to have a small drop in coolant level after 60k miles. I was surprised that he said is more common in diesels because they run hotter?(i didn't know this) They said it should have been checked and topped out ot the schedualed services. They way he said it, he was clearly idicating that it isn't always done, with out actually saying it on the record.

My cars runs great and smoth after 60k miles. This is my first MB after 5 straight BMW 5 series. I am very impressed with this car and it spends less time in the shop than my BMWs did. I parked my Black GL next to black GL350 Bluetech today. I had a good chance to compare. The slight changes to the front look very nice.

I am certainly going to keep an eye on the coolant level. I am not the type to damamge a car because of neglect.

Thanks for the comments
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
The same thing happened to mine at about 25k mi - slight drop in coolant level, enough to get an indicator light. I found a place in the manual where it said it was OK to put plain water in (no other chemicals) in 'small' amounts. I used deionized water (available in Safeway). Dealer checked for leaks under warranty. No leaks were found and the coolant level has stayed the same since.
My theory is that some of the diesels may trap a small bubble of air somewhere in the system, sometimes, when first filled with coolant. Over time this air is absorbed in the coolant and the level drops.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
the diesel gls are known to ask once for coolant earlier in their lives.

some came filled to the minimum from the factory and might ask for coolant as time passes.

once topped off they should not ask for coolant under normal conditions.

alex