GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Anyone with beige leather/Artico?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R8 V10, 2013 Cayenne GTS, 2014 GLK 250
Anyone with beige leather/Artico?

I am wondering how well this color in leather or synthetic material wears over time. For those with it, is it really prone to picking up the dye off of jeans? Do you find that it wears more visibly as compared to black leather/Artico?

Ordered a calcite white GL 350, and contemplating a switch to the combination black dash/beige leather interior, but just unsure about how well it wears over time.

Thank you!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
MB tex and leather both wear quite well.

The beige MB tex in my aunt's ML550 do stain very easily with jeans and other darker fabrics, but it is also very easy to clean.

The beige leather in out GL320 doesn't seem to stain very much if at all compared to the MB tex.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 AM

GL450
I have beige MB tex in my GL450 and it does show wear (or staining) quite easily.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I have beige mb tex in my 320. it does stain from jeans. very easy to clean with vinyl cleaner or leather cleaner and a magic eraser.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:56 PM

Guys, thanks very much for the feedback. What I am wondering now is would one material over the other be more durable or prone to picking up pigments? Is leather more durable than Artico (I believe in Canada that MB Tex is known as Artico)?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:19 AM
MKW

08 GL450
If you SUV is to be used as a family " beast of burden", get a black interior .
Our current GL and our prev Eclass wagon never looked dirty inside , doing hauling duties with kids , food, ski resorts , beaches, you name it. Near zero maintenance except for car washes and occas leather treatment to keep it supple .

OTOH, our ML had the " Sand " beige interior and it was never clean looking , with dirty seats ,countless scuff marks on the plastics and perennially dirty, grease or mud -stained light matching carpet.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MKW
If you SUV is to be used as a family " beast of burden", get a black interior .
Our current GL and our prev Eclass wagon never looked dirty inside , doing hauling duties with kids , food, ski resorts , beaches, you name it. Near zero maintenance except for car washes and occas leather treatment to keep it supple .

OTOH, our ML had the " Sand " beige interior and it was never clean looking , with dirty seats ,countless scuff marks on the plastics and perennially dirty, grease or mud -stained light matching carpet.
This is kind of what I am worried about. We are starting a family and decided to part with out BMW 328xi which had a wonderful reddish brown leather interior juxtaposed against a black dash. Just nice to look at. Generally, I am pretty careful, my wife a little less so. I was planning to put the WeatherTech form fitting mats in the GL, and willing to take on some extra responsibility with fabric maintenance (whether leather or Artico), but not to the point of things being irreversible.

Was your sand beige ML artico/MB Tex or real leather? Kids are always a challenge. The back seats in my old X5, as well as my parents' vehicle was always scuffed up with my niece and nephew putting their feet against the seatbacks. Kids will be kids, I guess (hmm, remove all shoes when in vehicle?).

Once again, I appreciate the information. I think I am going to post a poll for current beige/black owners to glean more opinions.

Please keep the comments coming!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 PM
MKW

08 GL450
The " Sand " was leather. It was the " sand " plastic seat backs, plastic door panels, etc that were always scuffed with black shoe marks . The carpet was same color, and we put black MBZ all weather mats in from day 1 and kept them in year round , but the carpet that wasn't covered stilled looked dirt black all the time esp in the drivers / gas pedal /center tunnel area .
The thing I don't like about these all weather mats : THEY always looked dirty , as any moisture / mud dries " light brown " all over them. Then you have to wet wash them to look decent.
That's why on our 4Matic Wagon and now our GL , we have just kept the standard black carpet floor mats on year round , even in the snow , as they are as easy to clean as just vacuuming.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
2thdr:

I am in a similar position as you. My wife just had our third. I got black MB Tex and couldn't be happier. The baby spits up on it, the kids walk on it, etc. and it is EASY to clean up. I have not been able to scuff or scrape it yet. I have another car with leather seats and I scuffed the leather on my way home from the dealership with my stainless watch band. No one that I know can tell it's not leather. Also, I'm not sure how acurate all the information is from the MB Club of America website, but according to one of the car care articles, all late model MB cars use MB Tex on all surfaces except top seating surfaces. Meaning the dash, door trim, and seat sides are all upholstered with MB Tex.

Having said that, I would still have gotten leather if we didn't have 3 little ones.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
the beige Artico is not that bad, however you will have lots of blue-jean pickup. It is fairly easy to get rid of with Mirror Glaze Professional Cleaner, though.