GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Stereo and Nav system sound question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
Stereo and Nav system sound question

I've been trying to figure out the stereo in my car. I just purchased a used 2008 GL450 and the sound goes up and down. It's very subtle but I notice it and it is starting to make me . We took it in to the dealership and they said that they sound system is designed to do this? How do I turn this option off? Also now the Nav system is acting strange, I can't hear the lady's voice, it is so soft. I even tried turning down the radio very low and I still can barely hear the directions. Help someone! Thank you so much!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Let me start with the second question first. The navigation voice has it's own sound level. The way you adjust the sound is by having the lady talk and while she's talking you can turn the volume button up or down to change the volume of her voice. You can force the lady to talk by having navigation set to some location and then pushing one of the buttons on the bottom of the comand. I can't remember off hand but I seem to remember it's the repeat button. It's to the left of the mute button. BTW, you can also hit the mute button when she's talking to completely mute the sounds for that trip.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oops, forgot the first question. I assume you are talking about the volume up and down based upon speed? I seem to remember there's a way to disable that but I can't remember how to do it. It might be in the center command by the speedometer.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
The volume changes depending on external noises. So if a loud motorcycle passes by or wind noise increases due to speed, so will the volume. It has been a Mercedes feature for years. I personally love this advanced feature and have never thought of turning it off.
Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 PM

2008 GL450
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Let me start with the second question first. The navigation voice has it's own sound level. The way you adjust the sound is by having the lady talk and while she's talking you can turn the volume button up or down to change the volume of her voice. You can force the lady to talk by having navigation set to some location and then pushing one of the buttons on the bottom of the comand. I can't remember off hand but I seem to remember it's the repeat button. It's to the left of the mute button. BTW, you can also hit the mute button when she's talking to completely mute the sounds for that trip.
TY I'm going to try this tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 PM

2008 GL450
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
The volume changes depending on external noises. So if a loud motorcycle passes by or wind noise increases due to speed, so will the volume. It has been a Mercedes feature for years. I personally love this advanced feature and have never thought of turning it off.
Enjoy the ride.
The funny part is I only hear the volume decrease, I'll try to not let it really annoy me, otherwise I will have to disable this feature
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by newbiebenz
Also now the Nav system is acting strange, I can't hear the lady's voice, it is so soft. I even tried turning down the radio very low and I still can barely hear the directions.
To add to JimBarnhart, you need to adjust Ingrid's volume (that's her name - I decided it and that settles it!) while she is speaking. I have only had one system at any time that was effective with the NAV volume and that was an aftermarket on my old LX470 (I bought the first year with no GPS). What I don't like about Ingrid is she doesn't adjust her volume based on the music's volume, with some pre-set minimum. So if I'm blasting away the music, it doesn't attenuate it enough for me to hear her unless she's really pumped as well. Likewise, if I've set her up high enough for that, and I'm just listening to something at normal volume, she blasts me out the door.

Anyway, good luck! And enjoy your 1980's GPS as much as I do mine!

STP
Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM

2008 GL450
TY so much! It worked! I was fiddling w/ it on the way to school and my kids thought I was crazy b/c I programmed it to go home, they thought I already knew how to get there w/o any assistance, ha ha ha.

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
To add to JimBarnhart, you need to adjust Ingrid's volume (that's her name - I decided it and that settles it!) while she is speaking. I have only had one system at any time that was effective with the NAV volume and that was an aftermarket on my old LX470 (I bought the first year with no GPS). What I don't like about Ingrid is she doesn't adjust her volume based on the music's volume, with some pre-set minimum. So if I'm blasting away the music, it doesn't attenuate it enough for me to hear her unless she's really pumped as well. Likewise, if I've set her up high enough for that, and I'm just listening to something at normal volume, she blasts me out the door.

Anyway, good luck! And enjoy your 1980's GPS as much as I do mine!

STP
Ingrid eh? We named ours Karen after Plankton's wife (we watch a little too much Spongebob in our house) Oh and I have to completely agree w/ you on the 1980's GPS, the Honda Odyssey had a much better system, but the ride on this car is amazing
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
you need to adjust Ingrid's volume (that's her name - I decided it and that settles it!)

STP
I was certain she told me her name is Gretchen. But given their navigation expertise, I'm also thinking Gretel (close friend of Hansel) might be best.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM

09' Gl450
I drive 09' 450 and I too had volume thought I was losing it when my radio's volume would self adjust. My problem however was the HD (not sure if 08' has HD Radio) was too weak on a particular station. The radio would cycle between HD signal and SD causing a slight change in volume. Solution was to turn off HD option when listening to that station

Last edited by Madcmm; 02-08-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
But given their navigation expertise, I'm also thinking Gretel (close friend of Hansel) might be best.
Okay, that's funny right there! I don't care who you are, that's funny!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
I have named mine Lola. Seems to fit her well. I have the 08 CDI with P2. I have searched and can not find a way to activate the sound up/down depending on speed and noise etc. Let me know if you find out how.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM

2009 GL550
I recall a post about a year ago, where in the 2009 GL Owners manual it specifically had a bullet in that chapters table of contents about an option to allow radio fade out when the Navi needed to speak. I doubted the poster only to find the same exact thing in my instruction book. Unfortunately, it seems this feature never made it to production even though it somehow made it to the instruction manual. Sure would be nice and make complete sense to have this feature so we wouldn't have these problems with radio vs navi overlap and differetiating volumes.