MB-Tex with Leather Seating Inserts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
MB-Tex with Leather Seating Inserts

My GL350 has MBTEX w/Leather Seating Surfaces according to the window sticker...however, the center of the seats and back are not perforated like the leather in my S class. I noticed on the neighbor's 2010 E Class that they have some parts of the seats perforated and the rest of the seat is MBTex. If anyone else has the MBTEX w/Leather Seating Inserts on the GL class, is the leather on some parts of the seat perforated (the real leather)? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by amaycg
My GL350 has MBTEX w/Leather Seating Surfaces according to the window sticker...however, the center of the seats and back are not perforated like the leather in my S class. I noticed on the neighbor's 2010 E Class that they have some parts of the seats perforated and the rest of the seat is MBTex. If anyone else has the MBTEX w/Leather Seating Inserts on the GL class, is the leather on some parts of the seat perforated (the real leather)? Thanks.
You would have had to add full leather seating plus the ventilated seat option in order to get the perforated seats. Something I really wanted when I picked up my 320 in the fall of '07 - but it was not yet available.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I'm not sure if you are just trying to figure out if they should have perforated your leather inserts OR if you are trying to figure out if you even have the leather inserts at all.

One way you can tell between MB Tex and real leather seats is to push your finger straight down into the seat. Mercedes real leather significantly wrinkles around the indentation you make with your finger WHILE you are pushing. The MB Tex does not.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
I was lookig for a GL350 with full leather but opted for the "on the lot" GL with the leather inserts. However, both the inserts and bolsters (which are made of MB-Tex) look like they are of the same material. The constrasting stitching (white on black) does add a nice touch.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dbtk
I was lookig for a GL350 with full leather but opted for the "on the lot" GL with the leather inserts. However, both the inserts and bolsters (which are made of MB-Tex) look like they are of the same material. The constrasting stitching (white on black) does add a nice touch.
After 2 1/2 years I am actually very happy with the MB TEX it's a great product. Long life, great wear, durable with kids, very easy clean up... A bit warm in the sun - but not too different from the real stuff.

Also after building one on the MB web site - there is no mention of "inserts" you either get MB TEX which is std or "Full Leather Seating" for $1,900. Adding the ventilating front seats is another $560 - and only if you upgrade to full leather.

Last edited by BJ021; 02-23-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BJ021, I completely agree with your views on MB-Tex. It really is amazing. What I am trying to find out is if I should I have perforated leather inserts. On the window sticker on all GL's with MBTEX, it says "w/Leather seating inserts." On my neighbor's E, their window sticker says the same and half the seat is perforated while the other half is not. On my 2010 GL, none of it is perforated. Even on my 2008 GL, I had Full leather and that was not perforated. Interestingly, when I pressed my finger in the GL with full leather, there were no wrinkles either while I was pushing or after. When I gave up my 2008 and got the 2010, the material literally felt and looked the same. Any comments?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:57 PM

15 GL550
Have you tried the finger press technique on your S550? How does it compare to your GL. I just knew of that technique because I saw a salesman demonstrate it on a GL550.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:18 PM

BJ021, I completely agree with your views on MB-Tex. It really is amazing. What I am trying to find out is if I should I have perforated leather inserts. On the window sticker on all GL's with MBTEX, it says "w/Leather seating inserts." On my neighbor's E, their window sticker says the same and half the seat is perforated while the other half is not. On my 2010 GL, none of it is perforated. Even on my 2008 GL, I had Full leather and that was not perforated. Interestingly, when I pressed my finger in the GL with full leather, there were no wrinkles either while I was pushing or after. When I gave up my 2008 and got the 2010, the material literally felt and looked the same. Any comments?
Perforated seats only come with full leather seating option ($1,900) and ventilating option as described in a previous post on this thread. The only reason they are perforated is because air will travel through them (when you activate)to cool your butt! Plus, I think that MB uses the word leather loosely in the description as it is all vinyl/MB-TEX.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On my S550 the seats definetely have wrinkle marks around them considering I have the premium leather. However, I am not sure why MB would lie and say the seating inserts would not be leather when on the window sticker, MB says the car has BOTH MBTex and leather. I know that if the car has MbTex though, there is still some leather. I know that there is real premium leather on the steering wheel though and the window sticker mentions that too. I don't think that MB is using the term too losely. On my neighbor's E, they have real leather inserts because when you press your finger into it, there are wrinkles.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM

15 GL550
I'd just ask to see a similarly equipped GL the next time you're in for service and compare. I understand where you're coming from. If it says it is leather, it should be.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
Yes, mine too says MB-Tex with leather inserts on its sticker. The 'press test' does not reveal any real discernable difference on the seating areas or bolsters. I have exclusive leather on my 2007 CL600 and the leather does reveal slight wrinkles using the 'press test'. I, too, wonder whether or not MB mis-printed the sticker description. Nonetheless, as stated earlier, I like the contrasting white stitching on black uphostery (whatever it is).