GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL done in by golf ball hail... Matching paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Question GL done in by golf ball hail... Matching paint?

My GL got done in yesterday whist at the dealer for service. Apparently their whole inventory as well as 29 customer cars were hit. I still have not seen the car dry yet, but it looks like every panel except maybe the rear hatch will need to be replaced/repaired.

My largest concern would be paint matching with Peridot Brown (know in USA as Verde Brooke), if they decide not to do some panels.

Anyone else have any experience with repairs-resprays with that paint code? I wound up with a totally mis-matched door once on a Dodge and it drove me bananas. Whit the strong colour change with this paint, I'm worried.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320CDI
best solution may be to take the cash and keep driving it. a repainted vehicle will never be as good as stock and resale will be compromised. wonder if paintless dent removal couldd make it look acceptable without repaint.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 AM
asg

2007 S600
sounds like they should paint the entire car... make sure you take it to a reputable shop, otherwise you will have more to worry about than the paint not matching.

Do they plan on replacing the dented panels or filling with bondo???
Old 07-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I just had paint work done on my GL's bumper.

Lessons:

1. If you are picky, which it sounds like you are, only have a MB Certified shop do the work.

2. Make sure they know when you take it to get the work done that you are picky. Most shops have a wide range of talent.

3. Don't accept anything less than near perfection. I say near perfection because it won't be a factory paint job but a good shop can come real close.

4. If it isn't darn near perfect, then tell them to fix it. When I got my GL back, the bumper had swirl marks all over it like they buffed it with sand paper. I could also tell that the spray pattern was different than the factory pattern on the other panels. In addition, there was a spot that looked like they added a parking sensor. They weren't even sure how they put the spot in the paint. The bumper was also not attached properly by one of the the wheel wells and a clip holding the carpeting in the rear wheel well was only half inserted. I could go on.

After the second go around, it was clear that they put someone else the on the project. With the exception of maybe two small spots where the spray gun shot out a couple of droplets that were maybe larger than others, it is perfect. You can only see those spots if you are looking hard for them. No one else will ever notice.

So, start with a good shop and don't settle for mediocrity because a MB certified shop is capable of some really good work.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:09 PM

Those are all great ideas. I have made an appointment with the local MB certified shop for next month. My insurance company can't put an estimator on the case until at least the first week of august due to the number of claims.
We'll see what's up soon.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM

I worked in auto body shops during graduate school. For the life of me, I have no idea whay you would want to (or care to) take your car to a "MB Certified" shop.

Find the very best auto body shop possible. Take it there. Paint is paint and it does not matter if it is Mercedes paint or other (here it is mostly PPG anyway).

If the shop needs to paint the whole panel to make it right, they will. It is that simple. (Do not go to a dealer's shop, if it is in the dealership. They are seldom clean enough and usually do a much worse job than a dedicated auto body shop.)
Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by larryp
I worked in auto body shops during graduate school. For the life of me, I have no idea whay you would want to (or care to) take your car to a "MB Certified" shop.
Do you care to elaborate?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 PM

I'll tell you why. One of my pal's best friends owns "the best autobody in town" around here. It's true, he does all the Lambos, benz', and exotics for all the local ballers. He's also the guy that painted my Dodge door the wrong colour twelve years ago. My pal was already *****ing I was not taking the GL to him. MB still owns most of this car under my financing deal, and if for some reason I decide not to exercise my balloon payment next year, and they don't like the work, they can't charge me for it, as their guys did it...