GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Keyless-go, infrared glass, ADSII, Multi-contoured, Two-tone Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keyless-go, infrared glass, ADSII, Multi-contoured, Two-tone Options

Some options I can't make up my mind on. Any thoughts?

1) Keyless-go ($1000): Sounds useful especially with kids but seems complicated if issues form. Plus, I never had an issue locking and unlocking from the remote.
2) Infrared Glass ($500): I am getting black MB-Tex interior so I was considering IR glass. But I am thinking the diamond white exterior and 3-zone AC should suffice.
3) ADSII ($750): I test drove GL450s with both 19" and 20" wheels. The 20" wheels makes a difference -- more sporty and less body roll. I have not driven one with ADSII but I can probably do without it. Also longer term, ADSII issues can get very expensive. But an amazing value at $750.
4) Multi-contoured seats ($500 each): This option was not on my radar but more research from this forum peaked my interest.
5) Two-tone Leather interior. I got excited about Black/Ash two-tone interior combo. But less excited when I learned you need to order the Leather package. Seems unanimous that MB-tex is the way to go with kids. Plus, the more I see the Black interior (headliner is grey) in person, it's growing on me.

Individually, all these options make complete sense and great values. Problem is if I get all these options along with (P1, Lighting, 3zone, Blindspot, Appearance package, Parktronics, Tailer hitch), I am getting close to a GL550 price tag.

Are there any options you guys feel are must-haves. Or ones that you regret not getting?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
1. I would get the keyless go if you are typically hauling kids around in your GL. If you or your wife are putting kids into the car or carrying an infant carrier, being able to leave your key in your pocket/purse is a big convenience. Otherwise, you could probably pass on it.

2. If you live in a hot climate, I would get the 3 zone and infrared glass. Otherwise, I think you are wasting your money. The GL has the best AC of any car I've owned. I have a black one and have never had cooling issues. It moves a large quantity of air through the cabin and it is insulated very well.

3. Not too expensive. I would get it if I was special ordering.

4. Can you get these without leather? As discussed on other threads, the GL seats are comfortable and snug but snug seats are hot on long drives. I would get ventilated seats if money wasn't an option. Otherwise you are fine with MB Tex.

5. Your preference.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
1) Keyless go - Our current GL is the first car I ever had with this feature. I wouldn't be without it on ANY future car I order (And it would have to be a 'screamin' deal if I bought a used car without it)
2)IR glass - Came as part of one of the packages I ordered - 3 zone climate control I think. I think it is very helpful even in the northern US and probably essential in the South and Southwest. (You don't say where you are located)
3)ADS - I don't have it and, since I typically don't try to push the truck hard I don't think I would really be able to tell a significant difference. ie if you like to drive like a sports car you would like this feature.
4)Multicontour seats - another one I don't have, but, although the stock seats are very comfortable, on very long drives I sometimes have to struggle to get comfortable again (I know, I know, I should stop and walk around a bit!)
5)Two tone leather - A very elegant touch that might marginally increase the resale value but, with kids, M-B text is close enough and is probably enough tougher to be worthwhile. In other words, I wouldn't.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Coupe, 2010 GL350 Bluetec
Let me try to confuse your decision more...

Rear Seat Entertainment: We didn't really want this option because of the price. We thought it's a lot cheaper to get our 5 year old daughter a portable DVD player, or even an iPad or laptop. So it can be used at home too. But we found it's worth now that she watches "The Princess and the Frog" again and again in the back without asking:"Are we there?".

Distronic: Another special order item. Distronic Plus is even better but it's not available for MY10. Not sure about MY11. If you do a lot of highway, you will find it convenient.

Power Passenger Front Seat with Memory: Again not sure if this is standard for MY11. My window sticker says this is a special order item. Now if you really love your better half...

Roof Racks (chrome): It adds the looks of GL I think. The cargo area will be too small if you carry 7 persons for a vacation. You will need a roof cargo container and this will be handy. These aren't the "Roof Rack Basic Carrier". These match the roof rails and look a lot better.

OK Honestly...

It really boils down to how much you are willing to spend. There is no option item you will absolutely need to have a fabulous GL. So you can choose to do one of the followings:

1. If you don't plan to own it for a long time, only pick whatever are most important to you. Forget about any cosmetic and special order items, and most of the "Convenience" and "Comfortable" items. It will still drive comfortably.

2. If money isn't a issue and you plan to keep it for years, then pick all the items you think you will always be wondering why you don't get.

3. Go half way, set yourself a budget and pick the items add up to the number. You will need to decide yourself what to give up within the budget.

Finally, if you choose to get most options, I will suggest to get a 550 or 350. 450 wouldn't make sense because the price will be too close to 550. Well, 350 too but you get the fuel economy.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM

Interesting to hear positive feedback on keyless go.

Power passenger with memory is standard on the P1 package starting '11

I did some more research on IR Glass and consensus is it's definitely worth the $500 cost. It will help keep the black interior cooler and will expedite the cooling process.

The rear entertainment system was not on my radar. Can you confirm if you can control the both systems from the front or do you need to control from the rear with a remote? Also, where is the DVD player on the new system -- behind the seat? Can you insert the DVD in the dash? The kids currently use iPads on long trip so and so far so good. You can load it up with shows and have them pick and choose the show. The only drawback is the viewing is uncomfortable since they need to hold it.

Last edited by dougpark714; 09-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:04 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Originally Posted by dougpark714
Interesting to hear positive feedback on keyless go.

Power passenger with memory is standard on the P1 package starting '11

I did some more research on IR Glass and consensus is it's definitely work the $500 cost. It will help keep the black interior cooler and will expedite the cooling process.

The rear entertainment system was not on my radar. Can you confirm if you can control the both systems from the front or do you need to control from the rear with a remote? Also, where is the DVD player on the new system -- behind the seat? Can you insert the DVD in the dash? The kids currently use iPads on long trip so and so far so good. You can load it up with shows and have them pick and choose the show. The only drawback is the viewing is uncomfortable since they need to hold it.
You have 2 dvd players. One in the dash (6 disc dvd/cd changer) and one underneath the second row ventilation controls (back seat). You can either play the dvd in the dash player and all three monitors will show that movie or the rear seat occupants have the ability (by remote) to watch the movie that is put in the rear player. The rear occupants can toggle from front dvd to rear dvd, either together or independently of each other. Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
I thought Keyless Go sounded silly until I used it. Now that I have my hand trained to wait a second after touching the door handle before opening it, it is pretty handy. Never having to take your keys in and out of your pocket is nice, especially if you're carrying things. I specifically didn't want the IR glass because it interferes with the ability of radar detectors to work properly. I have the black interior in an area that gets plenty hot in the summer and it hasn't been a big deal with a sunshade on the windshield. I'm not sure how it works on the 11s, but we use ipods/ipad as an input on our 08 for the factory video system via a Apple Composite cable plugged into the A/V input jacks on the DVD player. I even sit in the back seat and watch stuff from my iphone occasionally while waiting for the kids.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
I LOVE KEYLESS GO! My car came with the P2 package which includes keyless go. I thought it was a feature I would never use (I got the p2 for the upgraded stereo), but now I don't know how I ever lived without it.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 PM

dougpark, just remember when deciding on rear entertainment for your vehicle, make sure you opt for the optional equipment not the accessory. They both cost the same but with the accessory rear entertainment you will not be able to toggle between front and rear dvds and whatever you put in the rear dvd player, both monitors must watch.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 AM

Thx for the feedback. The rear entertainment center is more flexible than I thought. Since we already purchased iPads, I plan to attach them for long trips using an after market mount. There's several in the market now including from proclip and BMW.

Last edited by dougpark714; 09-23-2010 at 12:08 AM.