GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by TamZ
Yikes. I am glad you are okay, Steve. I guess I will have to ask my husband what this .71g and .78g thing are.

Admittedly, the interior on most cars is what sells me, of course, as a mother, safety is important but I can't say MY concerns ever go much past the airbags, etc. I'm sure my husband knows more of this technical talk.

I actually like the MB-Tex--with kids, it's amazing and I [was] looking forward to 5-6 years from now, having it still look brand new, compared to the "worn" look real leather can get.

Glad your okay, STP!
Vehicle is driven on a circular track gradually increasing the speed until the outside tires can't stay within the circle. That speed is used with a formula that determines lateral g force, the higher number should mean better handling.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 PM

2011 GL 550
Get another GL

Hi TamZ,

I am a new GL owner and new to MB. I've followed this thread with great interest. I've always driven BMW's before and put up with all the little glitches that come with that brand because they were a blast to drive.

I can understand you not wanting another GL due to all the problems you had but from your posts, I get the sense that you still love the GL and are reluctantly choosing another brand. I am sorry to hear that but as a new GL owner I have to say that I am in love with my GL. The ride, finish and quietness are top shelf. I love the lines. It is a big vehicle but still has a sleek look.

You got a lemon and had a battle getting MB to take it back but I don't think that is indicative of this brand. I'm not saying you won't have problems if you choose to buy another GL but I think that is the price you pay for German engineering.

The Infinity does get top marks in this category but damn, it is ugly. I would reconsider Lexus. They are virtually problem free. My sister is hell on a vehicle and has not been able to tear up a Lexus. She's not a car person like you seem to be so I'm sure you would do just fine with one.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by sae4236
Hi TamZ,

I can understand you not wanting another GL due to all the problems you had but from your posts, I get the sense that you still love the GL and are reluctantly choosing another brand. I am sorry to hear that but as a new GL owner I have to say that I am in love with my GL. The ride, finish and quietness are top shelf. I love the lines. It is a big vehicle but still has a sleek look.

You got a lemon and had a battle getting MB to take it back but I don't think that is indicative of this brand. I'm not saying you won't have problems if you choose to buy another GL but I think that is the price you pay for German engineering.

The Infinity does get top marks in this category but damn, it is ugly. I would reconsider Lexus. They are virtually problem free. My sister is hell on a vehicle and has not been able to tear up a Lexus. She's not a car person like you seem to be so I'm sure you would do just fine with one.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose.
Thank you, Sae-- First off, I am so glad you are enjoying a trouble free GL. That is exactly how it should be!

I should clarify that I would not be "settling" for the Infiniti, I will only buy it if I really love it, that goes for any car. I've looked at the LX570, the Audi Q7, and a few other lower end brands (GM). Not even the Interior on the Lexus turned my head like this Infiniti did. Trust me, it shocks me too. And you seem to carry the same feelings about the looks of the vehicle as a good majority of people I've come across on the internet but luckily, I am blissfully unable to see the "ugly" in this car. I like it more and more every time I look at it in person. It is obviously a love it or hate it type of vehicle, just like my H2 was.

You get pretty much every single feature of the GL550 in this QX56 (full technology package),touring package, theater package, 22" wheels, etc for under 70K..versus the asking price of about 85K for the GL550. As much as I would love to try and talk my husband into forking over the $$ for a GL550, he is pretty adament he is not even willing to give the GL350 or GL450 a chance again. I can't say I blame him. In all honesty, the interior of the QX runs circles around my GL. I hate to admit that, but it does. I did love my GL but some of that love has faded over the last 6 months of dealing with it's problems. You know that whole "one bad apple can ruin it for the whole bunch" scenario. I have not lost my love of Mercedes, however--and will be driving my Father in law's new S550 until I finally make my decision.

I've only taken a short test drive, I plan on driving the QX another time, this time I think I will do more maneuvering, turning, etc. My first drive was on the freeway so I could test it for wind noise. It is just the first car that has turned my head versus the GL.

And you are right, I am sure that MOST Mercedes GL's fit and finish are top notch as you have experienced, but I should have known from day one as the clothing hanger plastic pieces fell out of the ceiling on the drive home from the dealership, that my car was showing me it's true colors. The engine light going on at 500 or so miles was the icing on the cake.

Enjoy your GL, it IS a beautiful vehicle!
Tam
Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Tam:

The Infiniti is a Nissan Patrol. It's considered one of the best vehicles in the world by those in the Middle East and Central Asia. I see quite a few of the older ones over there all the time. Don't let anyone talk you out of it because of the looks, it is a serious vehicle. I mean, after all, you did drive a Hummer, and that's not exactly pretty. With the Infiniti, it will have the capability to back up any looks it has, utilitarian or not.

I would make sure to test one with the special suspension. Ironically I think it is only offered with some big wheel package in the States, but the ride should be a real treat!

Check it out in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gA0kKDlFgo

This one starts loud, but shows some ditch crossing articulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI95C...eature=related
Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 PM

2011 GL 550
I looked up the interior photos on the Infinity. You are right. It does have a sharp interior. I really like the contours of the double bucket seats and I'm all about the whistles and bells too.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Tam:

The Infiniti is a Nissan Patrol. It's considered one of the best vehicles in the world by those in the Middle East and Central Asia. I see quite a few of the older ones over there all the time. Don't let anyone talk you out of it because of the looks, it is a serious vehicle. I mean, after all, you did drive a Hummer, and that's not exactly pretty. With the Infiniti, it will have the capability to back up any looks it has, utilitarian or not.

I would make sure to test one with the special suspension. Ironically I think it is only offered with some big wheel package in the States, but the ride should be a real treat!

Check it out in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gA0kKDlFgo

This one starts loud, but shows some ditch crossing articulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI95C...eature=related
Thanks Brocktoon!

Just finished watching the videos. As I watched the first one flying through the sand dunes I couldn't help but laugh out loud, thinking to myself..."Oh yea..I will SO be doing that with the QX...on my way to pick up my oldest from swim, dropping off my middle one at tumbling and on to little league practice.." LOL!! It reminded me of a fun time I had taking my old 96 Suburban with a 6" lift and big ole tires out in the sand dunes up at Pismo in the 90's with a bunch of my girlfriends LOL! Granted, we didn't fly as nicely through the berms...I got stuck and some really cute guys helped pull us out--it all worked out nicely.

I am a Nissan girl--specifically, a love the the Nissan Z. I've owned a 240z, 260Z, 280ZX, 300ZX twin turbo, 370Z and in between all that, a little 240SX and a Maxima--so I can't believe I had no idea what a Nissan Patrol was--now I know!

I do think that the vehicle I test drove last week had the special Hydo thingamagigger for the suspension but on the short test drive I did, I honestly wasn't paying much attention to anything else but wind noise/cabin noise. I do remember thinking it felt very smooth--dare I say, smoother than my GL--but I attribute that to the run flat tires. I have never liked them on our roads around here but have loved them on the freeway. I tried to also keep in mind that the GL, being unibody is going to drive differently anyway, than a body on frame vehicle. But I'm used to driving trucks. Specifically, BIG trucks--so I'm okay with that. The GL was a drastic change from what I had been used to driving, too, and I have to say I welcomed back the higher stance and even the ride of that QX--it took me awhile to acclimate myself to the GL, but I did so just fine. I'm sure it won't be hard to go back to driving "big" again.

I still haven't made my decision but today I did look at our DMV site and TAMS QX is available. Could be a sign.

Thanks for the vids!
Tam
Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM

I looked up the interior photos on the Infinity. You are right. It does have a sharp interior. I really like the contours of the double bucket seats and I'm all about the whistles and bells too.
Sae- Yes, it IS Sharp! I'm glad to see someone else uses that word. Whenever I say "that car looks sharp", my husband always gives me a hard time. I like the Navigation much better, although I DON'T like that you are LOCKED out of it when in motion--a drawback, but that was exactly the same as my 370Z and I got used to it. Bells and whistles will get me everytime, I admit it. I like the Black/Graphite interior with the darker Burl wood best.

Tam
Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM

2011 GL 550
Sae- Yes, it IS Sharp! I'm glad to see someone else uses that word. Whenever I say "that car looks sharp", my husband always gives me a hard time. I like the Navigation much better, although I DON'T like that you are LOCKED out of it when in motion--a drawback, but that was exactly the same as my 370Z and I got used to it. Bells and whistles will get me everytime, I admit it. I like the Black/Graphite interior with the darker Burl wood best.

Tam
Sometimes there's no other word to describe something besides "Sharp"

I agree with the Black/Graphite interior....Sweet!

I like the voice control with the MB Command but as with all German NAV systems, they leave much to be desired. My sister has an Acura MDX and the NAV system is outstanding. The Japanese are so much better in that area.

One thing I've noticed with my NAV is that you cannot search by name and by location at the same time. If I key in a particular store i.e. Best Buy, It finds one hundreds of miles away. I can't find a way to tell the NAV to find the nearest one. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 PM

Sometimes there's no other word to describe something besides "Sharp"

I agree with the Black/Graphite interior....Sweet!

I like the voice control with the MB Command but as with all German NAV systems, they leave much to be desired. My sister has an Acura MDX and the NAV system is outstanding. The Japanese are so much better in that area.

One thing I've noticed with my NAV is that you cannot search by name and by location at the same time. If I key in a particular store i.e. Best Buy, It finds one hundreds of miles away. I can't find a way to tell the NAV to find the nearest one. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
The voice control on the Nav in my GL350 has never really worked well. I have tried so many times to "talk" to the dang thing to input destinations and it never seems to "hear" me right and gives me wrong addresses, especially wrong #'s. I always give up and have one of my kids just push the buttons (which takes FOREVER). I always attributed my voice comand not working to the large amount of wind noise we have in the GL. I figure it can't "hear me" over it. I travel mostly around town so it's not that I use the Nav all that often anyway.

I know exactly what you mean about it not giving you the location of a restaurant in the area you are IN. I was down at the Anaheim Supercross in January and I couldn't get it to show me an In N Out anywhere near, it kept directing me to the In N Out in Oxnard, CA which is much closer to where I live. Irritating! I never did figure out how to make that work.

Tam
Old 03-09-2011, 11:44 PM

2011 GL 550
My NAV (I call her Helga) is cleaning up my diction. I might even lose my southern accent by the time she gets through with me.

I bet the wind noise you experienced had a lot to do with the difficulties you had with your NAV. I find that if I speak clearly and slowly and wait until she stops speaking I don't have as much trouble. I also completed the individualization and that seemed to help. It will be interesting to see how well she hears me with the A/C blowing full blast this summer.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM

09' Gl450

Tam
Tam I also own an 08' QX and there is a VERY simple mod that allows you to bypass the "drawback"/feature. Won't get into it since we are in MB land.

I drove the 2011 QX for 2 weeks (dealer wrecked my QX while they were doing a recall, just my TAM luck ) and found the ride quality to be much improved. The interior technology features specifically the NAV and RES are hands down more user friendly than the GL. My major problem with the new QX, aside from the exterior aesthetics, was the cars seemingly insatiable thirst for fuel. We averaged 12 MPG in just over 500 mies of driving during those 2 weeks with no change in driving habits or frequency. My wife's QX averages around 17 and my GL 18. I can't explain why the 2 QX's were so different with the same powertrain, but I'm grateful they were because my wife REALLY loved the new QX.
Whatever you end up with I wish you the Best TAM luck
Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by Madcmm
Tam I also own an 08' QX and there is a VERY simple mod that allows you to bypass the "drawback"/feature. Won't get into it since we are in MB land.

I drove the 2011 QX for 2 weeks (dealer wrecked my QX while they were doing a recall, just my TAM luck ) and found the ride quality to be much improved. The interior technology features specifically the NAV and RES are hands down more user friendly than the GL. My major problem with the new QX, aside from the exterior aesthetics, was the cars seemingly insatiable thirst for fuel. We averaged 12 MPG in just over 500 mies of driving during those 2 weeks with no change in driving habits or frequency. My wife's QX averages around 17 and my GL 18. I can't explain why the 2 QX's were so different with the same powertrain, but I'm grateful they were because my wife REALLY loved the new QX.
Whatever you end up with I wish you the Best TAM luck
So much for Govt. fuel ratings as my 550 gets much better economy than it is rated.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM

Back from an Impromptu Trip-Good News!

I am back from a VERY fast, impromptu lats minute trip up to Oregon and thought I'd come back to report that yesterday, on my drive home, my husband called me to let me know that we are surrendering the GL TOMORROW at the dealership I've been getting service at all this time. I admit, it's a bit bittersweet, but I am so glad to have this entire situation behind us.

As for the trip, the vehicle got me there and back safely, so that is good news. But not without a few snafu's that seem to be typical for my vehicle..

1/2 way through the trip, the bluetooth stopped working. The bluetooth in my car has been touchy ever since we bought it, it disconnected often, sometimes during calls, etc. But it seems to work 3/4 of the time, for the most part. But now, it has completely stopped--I have tried everything and for whatever reason, it is no longer "sending out a signal" to our phones (so we can pair our phones with them.) I just get a clock looking thing on the screen telling me that the phone is starting up.(or something like that) I guess it's not a big deal now that we are turning the car in, so I'm glad I don't have to try and trouble shoot this problem as well. I am sure there must be something simple to fix it.

Once in Oregon, my back hatch stopped working correctly-- or maybe I should say, it works intermittently correctly. When I open it manually, sometimes the first time it doesn't want to open up (stops just slightly cracked up, instead of going up like it normally does. I just pulled it up and then shut it and then it will open normally again on all the next few times I try it. It also seems to have an issue with opening using the key fob..I push the button and it starts to open..unclicks to open and starts but then doesn't. So I push the button again and it closes and locks...and then if I push it again, it opens just fine. I also noticed that a few times it doesn't open "all the way' (because I hit my head on the dang thing) So..not sure what is going on with that but....again...after tomorrow at 8am, that will no longer be my problem. I traveled 2000+ miles in the last 72 hours though, and aside from the wind noise, it was a decent trip (as decent as fast trips like this can be.)

I have appreciated everyone's help, concern and kind words throughout this entire situation...and I sure hope I can still pop in here on the GL board. --besides, MomsBenz is going to officially be driving around with my Swarovski crystal Mercedes license plate frame--I'm boxing it up for her today and sending it on it's way. I was 90% sure I had decided on the Infiniti QX but I got a phone call this weekend from a friend whose brother just bought one a week ago--and it is now in the shop. His wife was going up a hill, and the thing just lost all power. It slowed down to 20mph and wouldn't go any faster. They got it home and to the dealer and they called her yesterday to tell her that the ENTIRE computer system failed. Supposedly it's only the 3rd time that has ever happened (what they told her at the dealer, I guess?) so it needs a new computer for the whole car?? Sigh...so....as you can imagine, that threw me for a loop in my decision.

In the meantime, you will find me driving around my husbands Monster of a truck until I decide what I want to get. I'm going to try and get in to drive a GL 550 when we are over there tomorrow.

Thanks for everything!
Tam
Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 PM

GL550
I am back from a VERY fast, impromptu lats minute trip up to Oregon and thought I'd come back to report that yesterday, on my drive home, my husband called me to let me know that we are surrendering the GL TOMORROW at the dealership I've been getting service at all this time. I admit, it's a bit bittersweet, but I am so glad to have this entire situation behind us.

As for the trip, the vehicle got me there and back safely, so that is good news. But not without a few snafu's that seem to be typical for my vehicle..

1/2 way through the trip, the bluetooth stopped working. The bluetooth in my car has been touchy ever since we bought it, it disconnected often, sometimes during calls, etc. But it seems to work 3/4 of the time, for the most part. But now, it has completely stopped--I have tried everything and for whatever reason, it is no longer "sending out a signal" to our phones (so we can pair our phones with them.) I just get a clock looking thing on the screen telling me that the phone is starting up.(or something like that) I guess it's not a big deal now that we are turning the car in, so I'm glad I don't have to try and trouble shoot this problem as well. I am sure there must be something simple to fix it.

Once in Oregon, my back hatch stopped working correctly-- or maybe I should say, it works intermittently correctly. When I open it manually, sometimes the first time it doesn't want to open up (stops just slightly cracked up, instead of going up like it normally does. I just pulled it up and then shut it and then it will open normally again on all the next few times I try it. It also seems to have an issue with opening using the key fob..I push the button and it starts to open..unclicks to open and starts but then doesn't. So I push the button again and it closes and locks...and then if I push it again, it opens just fine. I also noticed that a few times it doesn't open "all the way' (because I hit my head on the dang thing) So..not sure what is going on with that but....again...after tomorrow at 8am, that will no longer be my problem. I traveled 2000+ miles in the last 72 hours though, and aside from the wind noise, it was a decent trip (as decent as fast trips like this can be.)

I have appreciated everyone's help, concern and kind words throughout this entire situation...and I sure hope I can still pop in here on the GL board. --besides, MomsBenz is going to officially be driving around with my Swarovski crystal Mercedes license plate frame--I'm boxing it up for her today and sending it on it's way. I was 90% sure I had decided on the Infiniti QX but I got a phone call this weekend from a friend whose brother just bought one a week ago--and it is now in the shop. His wife was going up a hill, and the thing just lost all power. It slowed down to 20mph and wouldn't go any faster. They got it home and to the dealer and they called her yesterday to tell her that the ENTIRE computer system failed. Supposedly it's only the 3rd time that has ever happened (what they told her at the dealer, I guess?) so it needs a new computer for the whole car?? Sigh...so....as you can imagine, that threw me for a loop in my decision.

In the meantime, you will find me driving around my husbands Monster of a truck until I decide what I want to get. I'm going to try and get in to drive a GL 550 when we are over there tomorrow.

Thanks for everything!
Tam
Nobody knows this but all the best components are saved for the assembly of the 550's.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Nobody knows this but all the best components are saved for the assembly of the 550's.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
So glad you made it there and back safely! Bummer about the Bluetooth! I always had a problem with mine too with my Droid (on my '09) So far my '11 has been flawless with my iPhone. Hopefully your next car (whatever it maybe) will have zero issues!

I think with every car there are good and bad. You either get a good one or a bad one. I am sorry to hear about your friends QX, but you will always hear about the bad. Not many complain or talk about how GREAT their car is, lol!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MomsBenz
So glad you made it there and back safely! Bummer about the Bluetooth! I always had a problem with mine too with my Droid (on my '09) So far my '11 has been flawless with my iPhone. Hopefully your next car (whatever it maybe) will have zero issues!

I think with every car there are good and bad. You either get a good one or a bad one. I am sorry to hear about your friends QX, but you will always hear about the bad. Not many complain or talk about how GREAT their car is, lol!
Yes..I called my husband to tell him about the problem with the computer on their new QX and he didn't seem phased. He says it's probably just a fluke. I then asked why he didn't think all my problems with my GL are a "fluke" lol..he said, if our GL had only had ONE problem, he would have--it was the entirety of our situation that has him soured. (I still choose to believe that my entire car was just a "fluke"). He's still okay with the QX. (but he's also okay with that little GMC Acadia Denali...sigh...NOT that it's not a nice car, I am sure it is..)

I should see if my husbands blackberry will pair. The thing is, the bluetooth always showed up as MB-CAR on my phone, and I just paired with it- Now, it's like the CAR isn't broadcasting it's signal. My phone can pick up signals from other Bluetooth just not my car. If I was going to have the car longer, I'd check to see if my husbands blackberry worked. But since we're giving it back tomorrow--I am just going to let it go.

My poor GL-- I feel sort of bad for whoever may buy my particular GL in the future, I truly do!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM

I'm a traitor! :)

I debated on how long to make my re-appearance and announce my traitorship to all of my Mercedes-Benz friends. I decided to wait until I got several hundred miles on the new ride before I came here to give my very unprofessional comparison review.

After much consideration and quite a bit of marital debate, we finally decided on the 2011 Infiniti QX56. The GL550 was really, really nice but in the end, most of the same features that were important to me, were available in the QX.

Price:

The sticker price on the GL exceeded $88K. The fully loaded QX56 stickered at $72K for the 2WD, and $74K for the 4WD. I was able to get the QX for $1,000 over invoice. Most dealers, due to the Tsunami and Nuclear disaster in Japan said they were “no longer going to deal” on their cars because of supply/demand. This particular dealer DID deal with us, and I was happy with what we were able to get the vehicle for. They had the EXACT vehicle we wanted on their lot, so that helped I’m sure. I chose a White QX with the theatre/tech/touring package.

Drive:

Suspension: With the touring package, you get Infiniti’s new Hydro-Pneumatic Suspension system. My husband really likes this so much better than the airmatic on my GL (but keep in mind, he has hated the way my GL rode since day one.) We all know that my GL suffered from airmatic issues from day 1, so I’m not sure if that had anything to do with my GL’s ride. I also had the GL350, which came with the run flats and although I had no complaints about the run flats on the freeways (very smooth), it was horrendous on the pot-holed roads we have in our town. Every bump was felt as a hard “hit” in my GL. The QX is SO SMOOTH. The very same bumps that were loud and hard in the GL are barely felt in the QX. We did take it on a windy, curvy mountain road and it drives amazingly for being such a large vehicle. Stays really flat through the corners, which I guess is what that whole system is made for. Granted, I rarely find myself racing through mountain roads in my SUV, so I’m not sure exactly how much I will “enjoy” this new suspension but I am 100% in love with the way my QX drives. It "seems" faster than my GL350, because I had the diesel. Acceleration is better. I have no complaints, though, about that diesel. I got used to the way it drove and it did pull nicely. But I think, unlike my husband, that I like a gas motor better

Cabin Noise:

We all know what brought me to this board in the first place was the awful wind noise we experienced in our GL. If I backed out the wind noise factor, the cabin in the GL was quiet in other ways. I am now 100% convinced there was something seriously wrong with our GL’s windshield, as even at speeds of up to 85mph, there is BARELY a noticeable wind noise coming from the side mirror area..and there is NO WIND NOISE coming from the windshield. Several of you mention that your GL’s are “vault-like” quiet inside….and I was so jealous! Well…now I know exactly what you mean by that, because the Infiniti QX is vault-like quiet inside. So quiet, I can hardly believe it. I am in awe that a vehicle as big as this (and much less aerodynamic than my GL was) can be so much quieter than my GL. Absolutely AMAZING.

Interior:

I can’t say enough about the interior of the QX. It is hard to compare the two and this is another area that is completely subjective. I obviously loved the interior of the GL, that is one of the reasons I purchased it to begin with, but at that time, I had never seen the interior of the QX. This is one area that I think Infiniti really got right. I got the Touring package which came with the nicer Aniline (?) leather and although I truly liked the practicality of my GL’s MB-TEX, I must say I missed the soft/supplness of softer leather. I have no doubt the firmer leather and MB-Tex of the GL’s will outlast this softer leather of the QX but it feels so good, I’m willing to overlook that.

Navigation/Handsfree/Bluetooth:

Miles ahead of Mercedes’ and I can’t say enough about it. I feel “at home” as it’s nearly the same as my little Nissan 370 Z’s, so there was no learning curve. Screen is larger too. Its touch screen, but I will never use that as I hate the smudges.

Theatre package:

I like the fact that the TV’s are “built in” to the headrests instead of attached outside like the GL. Wasn’t a deal breaker with the GL but something I will definitely like better on the QX. Remote controls/Headphones seemed nicer in the GL than the QX but so far the kids aren’t complaining.

Stereo:

Hands down, the GL had a better sound system. My teenage daughters exact words were: “This stereo sucks, Mom.” It lacks the bass that the GL seemed to have and we didn’t even have the “nicer” stereo in the GL. This QX has the 13 speaker Bose system and I’ve checked all of my settings, etc and they are all good but it sounds like a huge amount of sound comes out of the speakers in the dash..I set the fade to move the sound to the rear a bit and this helps. So..I DO miss the better stereo in the GL. But again, I have a carful of kids normally and never have the radio cranked.

Tech package:

didn’t have all the bells and whistles on my GL. I didn’t even have 3-zone AC. I have the lane departure, the blind spot assist, collision control,, etc. I am really enjoying the Blind spot assist and the car has taught me that I seem to “come up” on cars a little faster than it thinks I should because it beeps at me and tells me I’m about ready to collide with the car in front of me (even though I am not.) My husband has always told me I brake late…I guess he’s right. This beeping can be turned off but it’s probably a good thing to teach me to brake sooner. The lane departure rarely goes off with me driving, which means I must stay in the lines okay but when I my husband drives, it’s always telling him he’s not in his lane. I’m about ready to turn THAT feature off LOL!

So..all in all…I am 100% happy with this car. I can’t stop smiling when I drive it. So far, I love everything about it and am very happy with my decision. I miss looking at the steering wheel and seeing my little chrome Mercedes emblem but if I take the time to just lift my eyes and look and LISTEN around me, I realize I made a good decision. I may someday find myself in another Mercedes-Benz and still plan on borrowing my father in law’s S550 anytime I can….but for now, for my family and for me, this QX looks as if it might just do the job for our family.

I will still pop in here to keep tabs, I have gotten so used to hanging out here that I can’t imagine not. I made a friend in Kaila and have no plans on going anywhere.

We went to the mall yesterday and at the valet, there was a GL450 dropping people off…I admit that for just a second I felt a little sad but then my husband pulled up in the QX and I started to smile again. I am still blissfully unable to “see the ugly” in the car and haven’t stopped smiling since we bought it.

Thanks to everyone!!

Tamz

Last edited by TamZ; 03-21-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 PM

'15 GL450
Congrats! The QX is a beautiful SUV. When we were dumping our '09 GL450, we seriously considered buying the '11 QX. But then, we got such a good deal plus the extra $3k from USAA on a MB purchase, we decided to go with the GL350. Plus, I was really impressed with the diesel engine. I am pretty certain that our next family vehicle isn't going to be a European car. Though our GL350 has been good so far, MB hasn't impressed me with their reliability (we're on our 5th MB).
Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Congrats! The QX is a beautiful SUV. When we were dumping our '09 GL450, we seriously considered buying the '11 QX. But then, we got such a good deal plus the extra $3k from USAA on a MB purchase, we decided to go with the GL350. Plus, I was really impressed with the diesel engine. I am pretty certain that our next family vehicle isn't going to be a European car. Though our GL350 has been good so far, MB hasn't impressed me with their reliability (we're on our 5th MB).
Thanks luv2sleep! Because we've been such an MB loyal family in the past (mostly my in laws) it was surprising to us, the problems we encountered with the GL. So reliability, for us, wasn't so great with the GL; but in the end, I do have to say MBUSA stepped up and took care of the situation. But there was no convincing my husband to give them another go, unfortunately.

I am VERY glad to be in the QX because what he was pushing for was a GMC and I preferred the QX leaps and bounds over the GMC Acadia Denali.

I am also happy to have the keyless/button start and the keyless entry. I also really like the adaptive headlights that move when you turn. I didn't have anything like that on my GL! Basically, I have a bunch of new bells and whistles to get used to.

Here's something I DO miss from the GL. I really liked that feature that when you just "tap" the turn signal, it signals 3-4 times for lane changes and then just shuts off automatically. I don't THINK the QX has that and that was something I really used a lot. But in comparing the two, there are a few features of the GL that will be missed but are easily overlooked in the many other things I like better.

Thanks again!
Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 03-21-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM

That sounds awesome. You must post pics! Next time I am in Cali, I will be collecting on that ride in your Nissan Patrol.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:33 PM

That sounds awesome. You must post pics! Next time I am in Cali, I will be collecting on that ride in your Nissan Patrol.
lol..I will post more pictures soon. My husband kept telling me not to post any until he gets wheels/tires and tint on it but I will post a quick one from the day we brought it home. I'll take pictures of the inside too but pictures far nicer than any I could take of the interior can be seen on the Infiniti website. Everyone always says how the pictures don't do the car justice and they are quite right. It photographs "smaller" than it is, which is odd! This is really a BIG truck!

Your Nissan comment made me giggle...Everyone says, "Oh, you got an Infiniti, huh? And I say, Yea..but it's really just a Nissan!" (I'm a Nissan girl at heart, I guess.)

Tam
Old 03-21-2011, 07:50 PM

'15 GL450
Nice! Makes me wanna go out and get one.
Yes, the electrogizmo features of Japanese cars can't be beaten.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Your Nissan comment made me giggle...Everyone says, "Oh, you got an Infiniti, huh? And I say, Yea..but it's really just a Nissan!" (I'm a Nissan girl at heart, I guess.)

Tam

Whoo-hoo!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 AM

Whoo-hoo!
Brocktoon, you crack me up. If I ever do this with my new car, my husband will surely kick me to the curb. LOL.. (but it looks fun!)

P.S. I just noticed I'm a "Senior Member" now...Figures...when I get rid of the GL, I finally make status. Sigh...

T.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(