GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I agree with your husband. I can PM you my banking info anytime

I would suggest you at least look at the new Durango. Lexi are nice, but big... You could give MB another chance, there's always the Acadia, but it is not as good to drive... tough call.
It's funny...I have no one to really ask about what type of car I should get in "real life" (versus this computer board, etc.) because I have only shared my predicament with a few close friends, believe it or not. I'm pretty sure none of them are browsing MB forums either, so I know a LOT of people are going to be surprised when I no longer have my Black GL and perhaps show up in a different color one. LOL Buying a $70K car and having it in the shop so much is NOT something I have been proud to advertise to most people. It's a bit hard to "complain" to others about your "new Mercedes." Sigh...

I can't tell you how many strange looks I've gotten from other sports parents when I show up in another different color C300 all the time, and unable to drive the girls to the games.(that whole certification thing) I just say it's in the shop..and they give me this quizzical look that says they want to ask why, but don't quite know how. I'm sure they are thinking, " It's a brand new Mercedes, what could be wrong with it??"

I poked my head in the Durango thread last week..I will have to look into it more. I will go look at everything again...but I went through that whole process when I chose the GL. I've never really considered the Lexus, and I'm not sure why. Looks, maybe...but I do hear they are the quietest. Just have never done it for me, oddly. My husband loves the BMW X5 or the Audi Q7. I keep complaining about the 3rd row seats in all of them and he keeps telling me I'm nuts to let that interfere with my decision because we use the 3rd row so little. He knows I love sports cars (I want an Audi R8 so bad LOL)...he thinks I will love the "drive" of the X5 over the GL. I never test drove the X5. I think the X5 will ultimately be too "small" for me. I'm 5'10" and not a small woman by any means, so I like the feel of a bigger car. Perfect for small, petite women..me..not so much. I feel like the GL was the best of "all" the worlds. I feel like it "fits me." All 3 kids fit nicely in the 2nd row, so we don't even use the 3rd row with our kiddos, unless they bring a friend. My husband says their "friends can deal with a small 3rd row seat." So..as you can see...my husband is just so anti-MB right now.

And trust me, after all this, I really do feel like a LOON still expounding on how great the GL's are.

I have lots of time to decide this. But I think everyone knows where my heart lies!

Tam
Old 02-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Chrysler failed for a reason. why would the Durango if related to the MBZ be any better? I know the dealer network isn't as good.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Having had an X5, if the third row seat spaciousness isn't a necessity, then go for an X5 - they have the diesel, 3 and 4.4 twin turbo version. The 4.4 is a nice one.

Plus, your maintenance for the first 4 years is covered.. not a bad bonus! This is of course if your done with an MB product.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Although I do understand your questioning wether or not you should stick with the MB brand (who could honestly blame you?) I think that following a purely statistical reasoning, your new GL will be exactly as you had hoped your first one to be! It was just bad luck you bought the one that had problems that quality control did not catch. For any manufacturer the number of lemons is fairly small especially during the past 20 years plus that TQM (Total Quality Management) methods have been in place. This number is even smaller for high end automobiles since the marque reputation is worth even more, but it will never be zero! It is just human nature.

Just have a good time car shopping again! The worst is behind you.

Last edited by aggst1; 02-15-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Congrats Tamz!

I think you have found a friend in Kaila and can maybe help put your worries at ease about another GL. She bought her second one recently after her lemon.

No matter what you decide, I would demand a long test drive, or a 3 day no questions asked return policy. Good luck and congrats again.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Congrats Tamz!

I think you have found a friend in Kaila and can maybe help put your worries at ease about another GL. She bought her second one recently after her lemon.

No matter what you decide, I would demand a long test drive, or a 3 day no questions asked return policy. Good luck and congrats again.
Thanks Jim. Yes, I was glad to find Kaila (Momsbenz) on here..and I did so just by chance, in my research and PM'd her out of the blue! She was very helpful in listening to me complain through PM about this situation and she is definitely a good example for the 2nd (and 3rd) time being a charm. I know she loves her GL

I still can't believe it's almost over!
Tam
Old 02-17-2011, 03:01 AM

2010 GL450, 2011 E350 Coupe
Congratz on your buyback! Best wishes on whatever you drive next!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kate0506
Congratz on your buyback! Best wishes on whatever you drive next!
Thank you
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 AM

'15 GL450
Over the years, we've owned every MB SUV (ML, R, GL-gas and diesel) except for the "G". Every one of them had little hickups with the exception of our GL350, knock on wood. I wouldn't touch an Audi Q7 with a 6' poll; though it's a good looking SUV, I've read on numerous forums that their reliability stinks. If the 3rd row isn't an issue, I'd look into the X5. The bimmers have their issues but the 4 year free maintenance is pretty huge.
If money isn't an issue, the Lexus LX is a beautiful and a reliable SUV. The toys and gadgets on the Lexus are light years ahead of MB. The navi on the GL is a POS compared with the one on any Lexus models. Heck, even Honda has touch screen and a more user friendly navi.
If I had gone through what you have been through, I'd never buy another MB product. It's just me. If my wife didn't like MB so much, we wouldn't have one in our garage. I guess I gotta keep her happy. We'll probably try a different brand next time too. Good luck with your decision. As some one else mentioned, the odds of getting another lemon are pretty slim. If you do, you must not be living right.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 02-18-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Originally Posted by TamZ
My husband, on the other hand, feels like he would rather distrubute $70,000 to all of you fine people, than to give Mercedes-Benz another dime. This is something we are currently disagreeing about.
Congrats on the positive outcome. I have been following this thread and sympathize with the trouble you have gone through. While I understand your family's frustrations, the money has already been spent on the truck and a replacement is available in my book. As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, all car manufacturers will let lemons slip through the production line. Its how they handle it that makes or breaks the deal.

I think it would be a shame for you to settle for another car when your heart really likes the GL. I think the chances of you getting another lemon is very slim.

I was patient and shopped for almost a year until the right one came along for my wife. I ended up spending more than my original budget but its worth it at then end. My 09 GL320 with 22K miles and 2015 or 100K mile CPO warranty is a great truck.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
The navi on the GL is a POS compared with the one on any Lexus models.
I like to compare my 2007 GL's with my wife's 2004 RX. She has no BT, no Sirius/XM. Her Nav is still a million miles ahead of the GL. I've put on an XM unit and a Parrot BT (not great but BTN). She gets info text from the radio, she has touch screen, the only thing I don't like about the Lexus Nav is the lockout (which automatically assumes you have no passenger who could help you out and it doesn't have Voice Recognition which is fifty-fifty sometimes anyway).

Just sayin'!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
If money isn't an issue, the Lexus LX is a beautiful and a reliable SUV. The toys and gadgets on the Lexus are light years ahead of MB. The navi on the GL is a POS compared with the one on any Lexus models. Heck, even Honda has touch screen and a more user friendly navi.
If I had gone through what you have been through, I'd never buy another MB product. It's just me. If my wife didn't like MB so much, we wouldn't have one in our garage. I guess I gotta keep her happy.
I highlighted what my husbands exact thoughts when we bought the GL350. He really did not want it but relented because he found out it was offered in a diesel. He knew that ultimately, it was better to just keep me happy versus pushing me into getting the GMC Denali. I drove home a very happy woman in that GL 5 months ago. I know if I agreed to get another GL350, he'd be happier. He promises he'll fill up the adblue every 1,000 miles so I don't have to listen to any clunking (if by chance, the new one would clunk.) I really don't have any other issues with the diesel..the motor was very quiet, etc. I do enjoy the less frequent trips to the gas station..and over the last week, now that the grinding airmatic compressor was finally fixed and we refilled the adblue (no clunking for now) I've been able to semi-enjoy the GL350 for what it's technically supposed to be. That grinding compressor, coupled with the wind noise, and all the other issues REALLY hindered any type of enjoyment/appreciation of driving it. I know that if we agree on getting another MB GL...he'll be pushing for a GL350 and I'll be wanting to get the GL450 or GL550.

But..speaking of Lexus...Today we stopped in at a Lexus dealer while out and about. I looked at a used 2008 LX570 they had there unlocked, and also a brand new 2011 LX570. They ARE very pretty inside.. I also looked at the GX460 and it is just not going to work for me with that 3rd row seat. UGH. The LX interior is very luxurious, etc. It is a "different" type of luxury than the GL and I can't quite put my finger on why I actually prefer the GL's interior better, even though the GL's seems a little "plainer" (but to me, sometimes "less is more" in a refined sort of way, if that makes sense.) I did not drive it, etc. I just spent a very minimal amount of time checking out the inside. The weather is a bit cold and rainy here and we were just leaving from having lunch at the nearby Olive Garden.

I finally asked my husband to just stop with the asking me "what I want to get" for now...and slyly pulling into "other" car dealerships than Mercedes-Benz to get me to look at different vehicles. I don't want to look at anything until I get this whole thing straightened out with MBUSA. I loved the GL. I still love the GL...and sitting in the Lexus LX570 made me feel..a little bit like I was cheating on my 'mate' (the GL) who only 5 months ago, I thought I was going to have a long-term relationship with.

The dealership that I am getting my service at right now only has 1 GL550 in stock, but not the color I want. But I do think they have a GL450 that has everything I'd want. So..when the time comes, I will take my time making my decision. No matter what, I will purchase my new GL from this dealership, as I cannot imagine a more STELLAR service department than the one I have been dealing with there.

I appreciate everyone's congratulations and help!

Tam
P.S. My 3 children LOVE our GL. My teenage daughter has already very strongly informed us she wants another car, EXACTLY like the one we have. LOL
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 PM

2018 E63s Wagon
I looked very hard at the LX as well. Thats what I wanted but it was just to much money and my wife did not care for it. I believe that the LX is hands down a better vehicle in every aspect execept for fuel economy. The only problem with the Lexus is its basically an appliance like a fridge or dishwasher. It will work perfect for a very long time. The Japanese cars lack soul. You do not bond with them. They are great but easily forgotten. If you actually care about what you drive and have an interest in them the German cars are typically much more involving. (involving sometimes means going to the dealer more often) The verdict is still out on my new GL. I do not love it yet. Not sure I will...
Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BACONMOTORSPORT
I looked very hard at the LX as well. Thats what I wanted but it was just to much money and my wife did not care for it. I believe that the LX is hands down a better vehicle in every aspect execept for fuel economy. The only problem with the Lexus is its basically an appliance like a fridge or dishwasher. It will work perfect for a very long time. The Japanese cars lack soul. You do not bond with them. They are great but easily forgotten. If you actually care about what you drive and have an interest in them the German cars are typically much more involving. (involving sometimes means going to the dealer more often) The verdict is still out on my new GL. I do not love it yet. Not sure I will...
Yes, I was a bit surprised at how much they are asking for the LX. It really has WAAAAAY more 4X4 options/special features, (that "crawl feature" etc) for off roading that I will NEVER use in a million years. I am a self-admitted "soccer mom." I'd be paying a premium for features I would never use.

I did like the Black Interior with the beautiful Bubinga wood that the LX has. My guitar is made of bubinga

Tam
Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Originally Posted by BACONMOTORSPORT
The verdict is still out on my new GL. I do not love it yet. Not sure I will...
I would not put MB in front of BMW or Porsche with driver involvement after owning my GL for the past month. Its more functional compared to my other cars. To be honest, I would own a LX470/landcrusier if it is offered in diesel for the USA market. I was in one in Indonesia and really liked it just because it is a truck one can keep for 20 years.

My dad has been a long time MB fan and I feel that his older MB cars had more soul compared to the newer models. You find that feeling in the W124, 210, 201 and 202 subforums here on this board as well.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I personally would be all over that Infiniti QX56 with the hydro pneumatic suspension option if I had room to park it and cheap, American gas.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM

'15 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I personally would be all over that Infiniti QX56 with the hydro pneumatic suspension option if I had room to park it and cheap, American gas.
I like the Infiniti too. Yeah, the gas mileage stinks but it does have really nice features. Maybe Infiniti will build a diesel version in the near future.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 PM

Lexus ls 460
Hello Tam, I have been following this thread and have felt your pain. Glad they settled. I was thinking that if you pulled the trigger on another GL and, God Forbid, you latched onto another Lemon, your case could be twice as hard with MB. Maybe not. Since the LX is a little too plush or gadgeted out you may want to check into it's root brother Toyota Land Cruiser. Same vehicle 10k cheaper and you can "build it" with things you would use. That 10k gets you Lexus service though, a great plus, that I have rarely used even after 3 LS's. Listening to your woes I've decided on the VW Touareg TDI as a contender but no third row but not important to me. Hopefully 2012 will give us a more diverse selection of Diesels in the U.S. I am more interested in the tow capacity as an Airstream is in my future. Whatever you choose I wish you the best and maybe you should consider taking those Lemons off your porch before you bring it home.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Winsto22
Whatever you choose I wish you the best and maybe you should consider taking those Lemons off your porch before you bring it home.
lol..true. Ironically, we own a 10 acre lemon ranch and live in the "citrus capital of the world." Who would have ever thought!?!?!

I appreciate everyone's input. As it gets closer to being "finished" we can move on and make our decision!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 PM

2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
Tamz, Glad to hear the good news. When I read that I was really happy for you!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by pteam
Tamz, Glad to hear the good news. When I read that I was really happy for you!
Thanks Pteam Hey, quick question for you--When you ordered your GL, what was the time frame in getting it? Does it take about 3 months from ordering to delivery?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:42 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Thanks Pteam Hey, quick question for you--When you ordered your GL, what was the time frame in getting it? Does it take about 3 months from ordering to delivery?
I ordered mine on Nov 28 and it arrived on Feb 3 (in San Francisco). The dealership gave me an allocation that they had in-stream.

- Mark
Old 03-04-2011, 01:22 AM

Good News! Buy Back Offer Received

Just a short update--

We received the buy back offer from the ISG company. I was glad that it has moved along quickly, however, a bit concerned as their #'s were off by about $7,000 LOL....they were not giving us credit for our entire down payment..(odd, I think they missed an entire line somewhere LOL) and a few other things but I faxed them all the documentation tonight and I'm hoping, if everything goes smoothly, we could have our check issued within a week.

It's so odd to not be on here updating about my problems. I am looking forward to putting this entire experience behind us.

Tam
Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 AM

S600
Just a short update--

We received the buy back offer from the ISG company. I was glad that it has moved along quickly, however, a bit concerned as their #'s were off by about $7,000 LOL....they were not giving us credit for our entire down payment..(odd, I think they missed an entire line somewhere LOL) and a few other things but I faxed them all the documentation tonight and I'm hoping, if everything goes smoothly, we could have our check issued within a week.

It's so odd to not be on here updating about my problems. I am looking forward to putting this entire experience behind us.

Tam
cool! glad things are moving along.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 AM

2010 GL450, 2011 E350 Coupe
Have you figured out what your next car will be yet??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(