GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by Kate0506
Have you figured out what your next car will be yet??
No....and quite possibly, my husband and I may get a divorce over fighting over it LOL!! (kidding)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350CDI
Holy smoke - just read the entire thread. Unbelievable.

I don't know how your survived it. I hope your second time around is better.

I went for the GL for exactly the same reasons you did. Had ours for a month now. Our first Benz.

Washed it for the first time yesterday - felt like washing the house.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I personally would be all over that Infiniti QX56 with the hydro pneumatic suspension option if I had room to park it and cheap, American gas.
I stopped in to an Infiniti dealer this weekend. I had never really considered an Infiniti when I was looking at different cars when we bought the GL. I did not care for the previous model QX56 at all so I didn't consider it.

I reallllllly liked the QX56??? Like, shockingly liked it. Everything I've been reading about it during my research talks about how "ugly" it is but I just don't see the vehicle as "ugly"..and I'm trying to, I really am. I looked at it..and liked it from the side..I don't mind it from the front, the only part I might not have liked as much was standing directly behind it and maybe the odd shape it came seem to take from that angle...but I guess I don't see the "ugly" factor. But this is also from a woman who used to drive a Hummer H2 and I know a lot of people found those things atrocious. Mine grew on me... I'm not sure what I like about the QX's exterior styling--everyone hates those vents on the sides, yet I think they sort of remind me a bit of a Range Rover--I don't know..I didn't think it was ugly..so it was hard to read all the harsh reviews on it's exterior looks when I got home and did some research. Hard to drive a car that everyone in the world thinks is "hideous." I know the only thing that matters is if *I* like it-- I know several people who don't like my GL and think it looks like a station wagon. I like the GL A LOT--which makes my being enamored with that QX even more surprising.

Where the QX really shines is on the interior. I am pretty sure I have not sat in a nicer luxury SUV than that----- WOW. I also love that they have a power button that automatically tips up the SECOND ROW SEAT--amazing feature for a mother like myself who's little 8 year old has a heck of a time getting the second row to flip up sometimes--I have even had to get out and run around the vehicle to help him a few times- Even when you do it manually, they tip up with total ease. I must have stood there and released that second row and watched it go up 30 times, until my husband finally asked me to stop doing that. LOL...

I finally found a car that caught my eye almost as much as my GL did.......it sort of made me sad today!

It drove very nice...drove bigger than my GL, but I'm used to driving big vehicles. And let me just say, it was a windier than heck day today and there was barely a smidgen of noticeable wind noise... (there is SO something wrong with my GL's windshield, I'm even more convinced of it now!)

Someone tell me something bad about the Infiniti--I want to hear all the good, the bad, the ugly--The hydropneumatic suspension option appeals to my husband more than the airmatic--especially after all the airmatic problems our GL had.

So..I really love the GL...but that Infiniti QX turned my eye in a big way today...Sigh.

Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 03-07-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
"Someone tell me something bad about the Infiniti" -- -- it ain't a diesel! Nice car, but it ain't a diesel. There you said to tell you something bad about it!! LOL
Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
"Someone tell me something bad about the Infiniti" -- -- it ain't a diesel! Nice car, but it ain't a diesel. There you said to tell you something bad about it!! LOL
lol..yes...that is a downside, I'm know...

But..400HP...I must say..I liked the get up and go it had... it's a powerful piece of machinery.

I have looked at such an eclectic variety of vehicles lately, in my quest to at least look at every 7 passenger SUV/vehicle on the market before committing to another GL-- Heck, today I even test drove a little Acadia Denali--not even in the same class as our luxury SUV's, really- but hey I was willing to give my husbands love of GM products another look--He likes the Yukon Denali (bigger than the Acadia) but I just wasn't feeling it.

Honestly, this "hideous" QX56 is the first one that has really even made me think twice about my love of the GL. Yet I can't figure out exactly WHY.

Tam
Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 AM

A few pictures I could find online...I liked the white the best (so odd, for me.) Hope the pictures aren't too big.

My least favorite "view" of the QX..this is the only picture of the back I could find on the internet.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I like the new Infiniti. It's very imposing in the 'flesh' and imho pictures don't do it justice. The suspension is a great feature. Just wish Nissan had put a TDV8 in the car.

Good luck with your choice of vehicle.

Bish
Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Tam,
Glad you're got the buyback. I've owned Infiniti's in the past and they're made very well. Your biggest problem is that it may be so reliable that you'll be very bored compared w/ your GL, LOL Enjoy.
PL
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Next time I'm in California, you will have to take me for a ride!

I'm happy you liked that car. Any of your friends need help finding a car? I'm full of ideas.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Next time I'm in California, you will have to take me for a ride!

I'm happy you liked that car. Any of your friends need help finding a car? I'm full of ideas.
Absolutely! It's a deal.

I'm still doing my research on the vehicle on the internet. But I'm learning, with any vehicle, that can be scary. I've found a few instances where people have had problems with this QX..one a transmission problem, another a loud fan noise that comes on (several of these) although I only found one complaint about INCREDIBLE wind noise..lol... I can tell them a story about incredible wind noise. LOL... but as we all know with my GL, there can always be a bad one in the bunch. I know that when it comes to the internet, you often don't see as many good consumer reviews, because when things are going good, people don't come here to talk about ir, but when things are going bad, boy do we ever. I'm trying not to place too much on some of the negative things I've read about the QX--if everyone based their opinion on the GL on my thread/review, nobody would ever want one.

I agree with Bish..the pictures don't do the QX justice. I expected to really hate the vehicle based on all the negative things I had read about the exterior appearance. "It looks like a Beluga whale.." "doesn't everyone know port holes went out a long time ago", "bloated" "fat"...it goes on and on. People seem to be VERY vocal on how "ugly" this vehicle is. But as I stood there admiring it yesterday,both under the showroom lights and outside in the sun--I couldn't even make myself not like it a little bit--and I wanted to because I'm so hung up on getting another GL. (My husband says if the put the Mercedes emblem on the front of the QX, I'd absolutely love it...I know he's partially right...sigh. lol)

The inside SEEMS a bit nicer than my GL350, but It's a different kind of nice. The GL appeals to my understated yet refined sense of luxury--the QX has all the bells and whistles that made me literally sit there speechless--they compare it to the interior of a luxury lear jet--and I can see it. (not that I find myself in a lear jet--ever LOL)

The automatic tip up/fold second row seats are something I think every single SUV with a 3rd row should have. I still can't stop thinking about it, silly as that sounds. But it's those little things that can sell a car.

If I decided to get something other than a GL, though......does that mean I am banned from the GL threads of the MB forum?? Wah

Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 03-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
Your biggest problem is that it may be so reliable that you'll be very bored compared w/ your GL, LOL
I can't tell you how refreshing that sounds after all of this..
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
"If I decided to get something other than a GL, though......does that mean I am banned from the GL threads..."
Never, not EVER! You created a thread that will 'live in history' IMO you will be at least an honorable member forever. Grandchildren will talk about this thread to their children and portions will be required reading in M-B school!!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by TamZ
But..400HP...I must say..I liked the get up and go it had... it's a powerful piece of machinery.
400HP ... power fold second row ... why didn't you buy my Escalade again?

- Mark
Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
"If I decided to get something other than a GL, though......does that mean I am banned from the GL threads..."
Never, not EVER! You created a thread that will 'live in history' IMO you will be at least an honorable member forever. Grandchildren will talk about this thread to their children and portions will be required reading in M-B school!!

good, because I can't imagine not coming here to at least say hi! Unfortunately (or fortunately) it sorta 'feels like home'. LOL!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mdadgar
400HP ... power fold second row ... why didn't you buy my Escalade again?

- Mark

From what I have been reading, the reviewers like the QX better than the Escalade... every review I seem to read gives the QX wonderful remarks and yet still manages to fit in the "but it looks a bit like everyones favorite whale" comment. Sigh...

I will think of you, Mark, everytime I see an Escalade!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM

GL550
Try it on some twisty roads because a skidpad test I read the Infinity was .72 compared to the GL at .78. GL may have been a 550 with better tires.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Try it on some twisty roads because a skidpad test I read the Infinity was .72 compared to the GL at .78. GL may have been a 550 with better tires.
I'm not sure what a skipad test is..but I see they do mention it in this review. This was a more favorable review, I'm pretty sure they didn't call the QX fat or a hideous whale even once. LOL!

I can't get this truck out of my mind. HELP! (and they use my little sons favorite word, "ridonkulous" when they talk about the 22" wheels)

http://www.evomaxi.com/asian-auto/20...x56-full-test/

Last edited by TamZ; 03-07-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

GL550
I'm not sure what a skipad test is..but I see they do mention it in this review. This was a more favorable review, I'm pretty sure they didn't call the QX fat or a hideous whale even once. LOL!

I can't get this truck out of my mind. HELP! (and they use my little sons favorite word, "ridonkulous" when they talk about the 22" wheels)

http://www.evomaxi.com/asian-auto/20...x56-full-test/
Did you see the google ad on your road test for Ca lemon law attorneys Titan/QX56?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Did you see the google ad on your road test for Ca lemon law attorneys Titan/QX56?
Ugh..no! But if I'm honest, just about every single car I've been researching so far, I've found someone who's got some problem and is wondering if their car is a lemon. It's scaring me to death..and makes me want to go buy a beater car for cash and pocket the rest.

But I'm a "nice car" person. Ugh! Sometimes I wish I wasn't.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
I think the '11 QX is an excellent choice. If I didn't have to fill up every 3-4 days, we would have bought the QX. I saw it on the road one day and I liked the looks of it. I've owned an Infiniti before and I absolutely loved it!
.71 vs .78 g's don't really mean much since most of us won't take corners agggresively with the family onboard. Yeah yeah, more safe due to better handling.... blah blah blah.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Wink

This was a more favorable review, I'm pretty sure they didn't call the QX fat or a hideous whale even once. LOL!
Beh, Feh! Do you go around wondering what people think of how your husband looks? As long as YOU like him, right?

Same with cars, make yourself happy first, then wonder about what some 22 year old blogger who will never be able to afford a luxury car thinks!

I'll level with you guys, I'm not really bananas about the way the GL looks, but it is so good in every other way, I'm willing to live with it. You know, as they say, sometimes a lack of looks can be made up for with uh, other departments... anyhow, before I dig myself any deeper with this one, I'll just sign off.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Beh, Feh! Do you go around wondering what people think of how your husband looks? As long as YOU like him, right?

Same with cars, make yourself happy first, then wonder about what some 22 year old blogger who will never be able to afford a luxury car thinks!

I'll level with you guys, I'm not really bananas about the way the GL looks, but it is so good in every other way, I'm willing to live with it. You know, as they say, sometimes a lack of looks can be made up for with uh, other departments... anyhow, before I dig myself any deeper with this one, I'll just sign off.
You're right! And I do love my husband

As for the GL, I have been told that it looks like a too tall station wagon as well as a "funeral home hearse".. But that still didn't stop me from buying one, so I'm not so sure why I'm bothered by the many reviews I've read stating that the QX is such an unattractive SUV.

Speaking of which, we finalized the buy-back settlement today--I'm so glad it's over!! Now, we're just waiting for the check and the "surrender" of the GL, I guess. It's nearly over....

Tam
Old 03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
.71 vs .78 g's don't really mean much since most of us won't take corners agggresively with the family onboard. Yeah yeah, more safe due to better handling.... blah blah blah.
I won't bore you with details but suffice to say that last Thursday I had the opportunity to test out the emergency handling of the GL and found it absolutely excellent. All I can say is, it's a good thing there wasn't anybody in the next lane. Pretty sure I got past .71g and it held beautifully. Of course, I was reminded that while the brakes are not too terrible stock, they're hard pressed to offer the necessary stopping power against all that heft of truck when the time comes.

Oh, and MB Tex cleans off nicely - there was a slight stain on the seat when I got home.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I won't bore you with details but suffice to say that last Thursday I had the opportunity to test out the emergency handling of the GL and found it absolutely excellent. All I can say is, it's a good thing there wasn't anybody in the next lane. Pretty sure I got past .71g and it held beautifully. Of course, I was reminded that while the brakes are not too terrible stock, they're hard pressed to offer the necessary stopping power against all that heft of truck when the time comes.

Oh, and MB Tex cleans off nicely - there was a slight stain on the seat when I got home.
Yikes. I am glad you are okay, Steve. I guess I will have to ask my husband what this .71g and .78g thing are.

Admittedly, the interior on most cars is what sells me, of course, as a mother, safety is important but I can't say MY concerns ever go much past the airbags, etc. I'm sure my husband knows more of this technical talk.

I actually like the MB-Tex--with kids, it's amazing and I [was] looking forward to 5-6 years from now, having it still look brand new, compared to the "worn" look real leather can get.

Glad your okay, STP!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Of course, I was reminded that while the brakes are not too terrible stock, they're hard pressed to offer the necessary stopping power against all that heft of truck when the time comes.
STP, I think the brakes (at least on the diesel) increased in diameter from 350 mm to 375 mm sometime after 2007. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I've had a couple times on the freeway where I've really had to use mine and it blew me away how well they slowed down a 5500 lb vehicle from 75 mph to a near stop with no fade. Maybe on dry pavement the 275/50 20" tires help out a bit too vs the 265/60 18" tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(