GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
Originally Posted by mdadgar
Isn't that middle car in YOUR pic your hairdresser's?

Kidding.

- Mark
actually its my fiance's
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by pteam
isnt that middle car in ur pic a station wagon?

heres one of my car trio pics:
Well I'd rather have your trio anyday. It seems that you're working on a different level than we are. LOL.. Aside from our Motorhome, the GL is the nicest vehicle we've ever bought. LOL Actually, I was waiting for someone to comment on that (wagon..that's why I posted the pic hehe.) I got rid of the H2 and Z...the '60 Impala wagon is not my favorite vehicle at our house..however, it is a passion my husband and his father (68) share, fixing up old cars. He and his Dad take their old cars to car shows together, my father in law loves that. (he has a 55 ford truck, all fixed up.)

I don't share their appreciation, unfortunately of older cars. I'd MUCH RATHER HAVE YOUR yellow ones He demanded I let him put his car in the pic when I lined my cars up for their "goodbye" picture

PS. I also love your house.

Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 11-08-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:19 AM

2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
thx I lost the yellow trio when I got a black hummer. Thanx tho
Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Most Recent Update! :)

Back again to update on my GL350's wind noise and the other issues I've had.

I went this morning to drop off my GL at the new dealership that we had talked to last week. They had my courtesy rental car waiting for me (C300) and the mechanic foreman met me at the front, had a new GL350 waiting for comparison as well.

First, we took my GL for a LONG test drive. About 20 miles on both the freeway and a highway that I normally drive on everyday. Once we get up to about 50mph, he notices the wind noise and it steadily gets worse. I was able to take the car to 65-80 mph for him and he definitely says there is much more wind noise than he would think normal. Yea! We get back to the dealership and we take the new GL on the same exact test drive. Right away, we all noticed (my husband was in the back) that the new GL was much quiter than mine. I won't say it had ZERO wind noise but it definitely has considerably less wind noise than my GL and the mechanic foreman agreed. He even said he feels more air comes in the passenger side than the drivers side. I'm so glad that they are actually hearing what I'm hearing with the wind noise.

The front odd whining motor noise that comes from under the hood has actually gotten worse this week, which is good in a weird way. He was able to hear it many different times, it's even starting to do it now when I'm driving, not just when coming to a stop. It does seem to happen more on deceleration than acceleration, so that was also noted.

He also quickly noted the "clunking" sound in the back whenever you come to a stop. He thought at first that it was the ad-blu "sloshing" in the tank (which he told me quite a few people have been complaining about) but after listening to it more, he thinks it's not that. He said its possible that when they replaced the defective NOX sensor at the other dealer they left something unhooked/unstrapped, etc. He's going to check that.

The new GL we drove as comparision today had NONE of the noises. (No whining motor noise from engine and no clunking from the back.) So..obviously, mine has issues.

Also, the seats continued to not work for him and the error message remained lit on the dash, so he is going to look into that as well.

They addressed all of my concerns and this guy says he will be working on my car personally. So..I am confident that these things can and will be taken care of to the best of his ability.

I'll report back when I get the car back but wanted to update on the wind noise.

Tam
Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
yea, this sounds like it's a VERY good step in the right direction. good luck, and keep us updated.
PL
Old 11-12-2010, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by TamZ
Back again to update on my GL350's wind noise and the other issues I've had.
As a fellow GL diesel owner, I'm sorry to say that a leading consumer reporting magazine recently rated, among luxury SUVs, the GL diesel as the very lowest for reliability, well below either the 450 or 550, both of which were below the M-class. Listening to the number of problems your truck has so early in its lifetime, it doesn't sound promising that they've worked out the "quality" kinks at this time. I certainly hope that's not the case, but it's hard to ignore that you have one thing after the other going on, over and over again like that. Just shameful for a vehicle that costs more than many folks make in a year.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Just shameful for a vehicle that costs more than many folks make in a year.
Sigh...yes. I looked at so many different vehicles, many being what I "perceived" as lower quality, so I went with this Mercedes. Sometimes, when I'm really irritated with this dang GL...I lay in bed and think to myself, I should have spent the $30k on a Chevy Traverse and pocketed the other 40 grand!! That is a year and a half of tuition/room and board for my daughter at UCLA! My husband will tease me and say, "was that mercedes benz star really worth 40 grand, honey?" Sigh..

They've called me several times. He is still working on my car. He isn't sure if they will have it done today either. I'm not complaining, I have the little C300 to drive around. Feels so sporty compared to the big GL. I've gotten used to the slightly sluggish take off of that diesel GL, so this feels like a little rocket.

T.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sometimes, when I'm really irritated with this dang GL...I lay in bed and think to myself, I should have spent the $30k on a Chevy Traverse and pocketed the other 40 grand!
Well, I wouldn't go that far!

My biggest reason for getting the Mercedes was that nobody else sells a 3-useable-row high-efficiency diesel SUV. Oh, sure, several make them, including Toyota's Land Cruiser, but the only one sold here with a modern (ish) engine with high efficiency with the passenger capacity is the GL.

As for getting a Traverse, just remember that if you got a Chevrolet with these many problems (and it is, sadly, just as possible still with that brand as well), you'd be lucky to get a ride, much less a loaner car. Plus you'd be up against who knows how many cars fighting for a technician.

Those who have watched me on these lists know I've been pretty hard on the brand but I have faith in the service people (at least mine, I have only experience with one other MB dealership's service people and they were "meh" at best). But I began to feel like my car was different than the others and surely Mercedes was still working on improving quality. I'm afraid it looks a little to me like they have a long way to go to completely recover from the Chrysler infection. It's too bad.

STP
Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 PM

Well, I wouldn't go that far!

My biggest reason for getting the Mercedes was that nobody else sells a 3-useable-row high-efficiency diesel SUV. Oh, sure, several make them, including Toyota's Land Cruiser, but the only one sold here with a modern (ish) engine with high efficiency with the passenger capacity is the GL.
hehe..I know you're right

And yes, the 3rd row seat in the GL was one of MY main reasons for picking the car. It had the best 3rd row seat in all I looked at. But I admit, I did like the pretty star on the front too.

My husband wanted the diesel...I was hesitant when he first said diesel, but then I heard how quiet the motor really is. I was fine with it.

They called on my car, they are STILL trying to figure it all out. They will have my car until at least Monday. I can keep the rental for however long they have my car. I am still a bit surprised they give such nice loaners out. I would have expected an enterprise rental or something, not another Mercedes. This C300 isn't so bad!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
You are very lucky to get a dealer that has M-B loaners. The two I've been involved with have only Enterprise junk for replacement transportation. One had cars that weren't even equipped with cruise control! When I remarked that the quality of that part of the service wasn't up to par they ignored me. I stopped going there!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am still a bit surprised they give such nice loaners out. I would have expected an enterprise rental or something, not another Mercedes. This C300 isn't so bad!
Like FourDiesel says, we are lucky to have such good dealers. You can only vote with your pocketbook and your feet. It has to be a double-edged sword for the dealers, to have a brand that's still struggling with reliability issues and perhaps keeping a certain number of consumers from deciding to go with them versus having a good income from the service department. I don't know how my dealership is doing on its showroom - I'm in a fairly affluent part of town (though, like most, pretty embattled) but from the greeter to the SA, to the cashier, to the coffee gal, to the service manager himself, I feel like they value my business as much as the guy who has 10 Mercs (I know he's out there, somewhere!) God's truth, between them and the way the beast feels on the open American interstates is a fight for first place for what's the best part of the truck.

STP
Old 11-14-2010, 03:03 PM

Like FourDiesel says, we are lucky to have such good dealers. I'm in a fairly affluent part of town (though, like most, pretty embattled) but from the greeter to the SA, to the cashier, to the coffee gal, to the service manager himself, I feel like they value my business as much as the guy who has 10 Mercs (I know he's out there, somewhere!)
I feel the same way about this dealer. They have made me feel like a million dollar customer since the moment we first popped in to even discuss this issue. He calls me 2-3 times a day to keep me updated, if I don't answer, leaves detailed messages, etc. It goes a long way in making me want to give this dealer our business. My in-laws also have two MB's (M and a S550), so they will be moving their business here as well.

When this is all done, I will be writing a nice letter to whoever their manager is at this dealership because both the SA and the Mechanic have been wonderful.

Hoping to hear about my car tomorrow!
T.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Another UPDATE on my GL350

Sigh...Still do not have my car back. I do still, however, have the C300 as a courtesy loaner so I can't complain there.

The news is NOT good.

The TURBO has gone out on my car. So they have been in touch with corporate and have sent the recording to them, etc. The mechanic said the turbo is bad and now they are just awaiting approval from MB to install a new turbo on the motor. (I think that is what he said.) I know nothing about turbo's. I DO know that the sound it was making couldn't be normal...

To say I'm bummed about my brand new $70k car having so many issues is an understatement. I am trying to remain positive and hope that they can/will fix this. He was very apologetic on the phone, he said that they were doing everything in their power to "make me glad I bought a Mercedes Benz product."

I must say...I'm feeling like I made a mistake but I'm trying to hold out judgement until this is all taken care of.

Thought everyone would like to know the latest. Looks like a New Turbo is up next. The new motors (which were defective) came in today for the rear seats and he is installing those this afternoon. He resealed the windshield for the wind noise and the clanking in the back, they haven't really talked about but I'm assuming they have fixed that. If he has done any type of test driving at all while he's had it (and I know he has) he will realize how annoying that is. It sounds like you hit something everytime you tap your brakes. Ugh.

I've never in my life bought a new vehicle and within 8 weeks started looking forward to the day I could trade it in.

T.

Last edited by TamZ; 11-15-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I don't know what the law is in CA but in some states 30 days or more in the shop during the first year of ownership and the car is considered a lemon. Keep your invoices.

I know this won't make you feel any better but about ten years ago I purchased a Japanese brand car known for its reliability. It was in the shop 21 days during my first month of ownership and I was given a Toyota Corolla to drive. Stuff happens even to the most reliable of cars.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 43221B
I don't know what the law is in CA but in some states 30 days or more in the shop during the first year of ownership and the car is considered a lemon. Keep your invoices.

I know this won't make you feel any better but about ten years ago I purchased a Japanese brand car known for its reliability. It was in the shop 21 days during my first month of ownership and I was given a Toyota Corolla to drive. Stuff happens even to the most reliable of cars.
I'm keeping my head up about it. It's more frustrating than anything. It would be even worse, if I were dealing with the other dealership, I think. I feel like this is going as good as it can, considering.

Thanks!
T.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM

They called again today to tell me that now they are going to fix the recall on the fuel filter that just came out as well. Made me wonder if the fuel filter issue would cause the turbo to go bad. (Don't laugh, I seriously don't know anything about cars, but the thought did cross my mind.)

He said it will still be a few days for my car and he was very apologetic.

t.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
They called again today to tell me that now they are going to fix the recall on the fuel filter that just came out as well. Made me wonder if the fuel filter issue would cause the turbo to go bad. (Don't laugh, I seriously don't know anything about cars, but the thought did cross my mind.)
I don't think so.

I hope this all get resolved. I would take up the matter of the first dealership telling you it was all in your head up with MBUSA. I mean obviously you are not stupid if you can afford a new Benz, why do their dealers insist on treating you as if you are? I would be all over the service manager at the first dealer, if it was me. You might be able to show more restraint.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I don't think so.

I hope this all get resolved. I would take up the matter of the first dealership telling you it was all in your head up with MBUSA. I mean obviously you are not stupid if you can afford a new Benz, why do their dealers insist on treating you as if you are? I would be all over the service manager at the first dealer, if it was me. You might be able to show more restraint.
I guess I should say that, at the other dealer, it wasn't that they implied I was stupid. That is simply my interpretation of the looks on their faces as I explain to them the sounds/issues coming from my car. (My own husband is quick to point out that I have a habit of thinking I can read people's minds..lol..) In general, with the 3 different people I dealt with at the first dealer, my descriptions of what was going on with my car were first met with a look of concern, quickly followed by them trying to supress a smile as I told them "all" of the problems. lol.. My interpretation of that sneer (smile) made feel feel as if they had moved beyond genuine concern and were now just entertaining the ramblings of a woman with overly sensitive ears. I felt as if they were telling me "a car with only 500 miles...specifically a Mercedes with only 500 miles couldn't possibly have all these problems you speak of..." I am not one of those women who hate men, feel they always look down on us, yadda yadda yadda..I love men. lol..however, I must say that when my husband spoke of the same issues, he did not get the same reaction. I most likely won't complain to the other dealership, because, once I finally got them to bring the mechanic forward to listen to my actual car, even though he couldn't hear it (busy freeways, etc) he at least gave me the time of day and told me my best bet would be to go to another dealer.

My experience with the new dealership has been completely different. I have no idea why, except they are new and wanting customers. I am one OF a million customers down in LA. It's a bit different out here in the small town area I live in, I guess.

As for being able to afford a Mercedes..that made me giggle a bit. I have always felt there is a big difference between being able to afford something and being able to finance something. They are two separate things, something I try to explain to my employees on a daily basis as they struggle with money issues dependent on the fact they are living above their means..but I digress.)

Thanks much for your support, if i didn't have this forum to come complain to, I'm sure I would be in a much grouchier mood about this!

Last edited by TamZ; 11-17-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
http://https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/183606-mercedes-benz-gl450-reliability-how-does-compare.html

Follow this link when you get your car back [fixed we hope] to provide input to all the others who would like to know just how good / or bad M-B reliability is or isn't. It is a very effective way of getting M-B management's attention on the management policies that need to be fixed to PREVENT situations like yours. Reliability statistics mean a LOT to purchasers of high end cars. M-B needs to work hard on this!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM

SA called me this evening...Car still not fixed. Tomorrow morning marks a week it has been in the shop. SA still very nice and apologetic. I'm now hoping maybe it is done tomorrow!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
As for being able to afford a Mercedes..that made me giggle a bit. I have always felt there is a big difference between being able to afford something and being able to finance something. They are two separate things, something I try to explain to my employees on a daily basis as they struggle with money issues dependent on the fact they are living above their means..but I digress.)
See, Not stupid. You are a boss, and financial planner all-in-one.

I guess it is different in America. It's pretty tough to just walk around and get stuff on credit here (especially factory financing of fancy cars). Not that it is impossible, they just expect a higher ratio of income and assets to debt.

I think the best advice you can give your spendthrift employees is to get rid of their credit cards. About ten years ago, we went to Amex charge cards, and an unsecured line of credit for consumer purchases. We pay it off monthly, but if we have any big expenses, or business expenses yet to be reimbursed, we just put it on the LOC @ 5%, rather than 30% on a CC. At least that way, if your people can't control themselves, at least they wont be racking up the interest!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:26 PM

SA called me again today...now they say they need to order more parts. He didn't go in to what parts he had to order today..I was in class so I couldn't ask a lot of questions but he said he will call me tomorrow to give me another update. I was hoping to get the car back before this weekend, doesn't look possible now. Sigh..
Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
be sure to document everything, and i would call MB corp and get a case # assigned so they're tracking in. after all, there's a chance you may qualify for lemon-law, but you'd need to be organized.
PL
Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
be sure to document everything, and i would call MB corp and get a case # assigned so they're tracking in. after all, there's a chance you may qualify for lemon-law, but you'd need to be organized.
PL
I'm trying to document everthing..and saving everything. Even this thread will be printed out and saved, it helps to keep ME organized. I will probably have my husband call MB corp to deal with that. It sounds like a good idea. Sometimes I think it would just be so nice of MB to take this car back and just give me another one--let THEM fix this one so I don't have to deal with their issues. (and THEN I wake up from my dream. LOL)

Frustrating..but trying to not get too stressed. I sure could use more room than this little sedan with all these kids I am carting around! Hope it gets done soon.

t.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM

'08 GL320 CDI, '10 Range Rover HSE
My wife bought a 2010 range rover in August. She quickly started complaining about wind noise. the dealer was able to correct it immediatly by reasealing the windshield.

My gl has no wind noise.

I am sorry about your issues, they should happen on cars this expensive

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(