GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
Good job Tammy! I sent a package to Ernest Lieb too! I thought you already had, sorry. I got a call from his secretary and she said my dealer would be contacting me (and they did that same day) Hopefully this will do it for you!
Mombenz! Fish funeral performed, a basketball game won...these are truly the things that make my life go 'round.... (as you can tell from facebook LOL)

My communications haven't been sent directly to HIS name. I didn't think it would really get to him. But today I resent another 3 page long letter, attached to a 1" thick stack of paperwork. I sent two big packages, big yellow envelopes. Hard to miss. Sent everything Certified mail and return receipt. I know they already have everything I've sent, maybe not the last set of dealer receipts from the last shop visit and I explained that the vehicle was in the shop again right now so there will be more paperwork forthcoming when it gets done. I just figured Mr. Lieb probably doesn't even know about my situation, since it's being handled by people who seem to have a slight issue with communication. So...now, maybe he will know. And perhaps, maybe he still won't. Either way, I can't say I didn't try!

I didn't hear back from the dealer today, so they must still be working on my car. He was going to test drive it today but because of the wind noise from my windshield, even he was having issues hearing things yesterday (although he finally did, after it did it a few times in a row.) But today was one of the windiest days I've seen in a long time around here so I bet it was very interesting for him to try and drive my car today. It won't shock me if when I pick it up, he tells me "Boy does your car have a wind noise issue LOL" I would love to be a fly on the wall when the mechanic was driving my car today!

Tam
Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
Tamz,

I think I read you were not going to get another GL when they buy back your car. In that case, what do you want to get? Lets think positive here and try to have a little bit of fun through the misery

God only gives you what you can handle. Be strong
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by pteam
Tamz,

I think I read you were not going to get another GL when they buy back your car. In that case, what do you want to get? Lets think positive here and try to have a little bit of fun through the misery

God only gives you what you can handle. Be strong
Pteam- I actually do want to get another GL. I haven't found any other vehicle that I like better. But I think I mentioned that I am 99% sure I do not want another GL350. My husband doesn't want another Mercedes-Benz product. Ever. He has never been a Mercedes Guy. My father in law and I share the love of Mercedes. Honestly, the Adblue tank is one of the major reasons for this, as silly as that may sound to some. I know the majority of you say you don't hear your adblue tanks and I think that is how it should be, but that is SO not the case with my GL. And maybe I just got a "bad" tank or something but the clanking/clunking of that fluid constantly absolutely drives me batty. When it's bad, it actually sounds like something is loose back there. I can't believe that one would be expected to listen to a clunk when you are parking, or stopping or doing slow turns where you have to use your brakes a lot. Eventually, this will be fixed...whether its a fix for the models already out or a fix for future models...The mechanic says the are are working on this.. he said, "they HAVE to." Sigh..

I like the the gas mileage is great but as another poster here reminded me, my little GL350's fuel savings is easily swallowed up each month between all these other big trucks we have. Even our motorhome is diesel, so really--do I REALLY need a diesel vehicle too? Not really.. I have ZERO complaints about the motor, it's not loud at ALL. (Yes, that is Tam actually saying the engine is quiet!) I've even gotten used to the way it takes off, the low end type of torque is has vs my old vehicles, the slight lag, etc. So what it seems to boil down to, for me is..1) I'm just overall GL350 shy because my car had so many issues and it was a 350 and 2) the adblue tank. If my husband lets me spend another $70k on a vehicle, I'm absolutely scared out of my mind to get the exact same vehicle.

Ultimately, I know my husband will get me whatever I want, just to shut me up (and I mean that in the nicest husband way...hehe) He just wants me to be happy with it. As much as a disappointment my car was to me, it's been even more of a pain in the butt to him, because it was his money that was spent and he has to listen to me.

Even more than you guys do

He likes the Audi Q7 and the BMW X5. He'd buy either one of those over the GL. He originally wanted the Denali.

Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 02-03-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
God only gives you what you can handle.
I sometimes wish He wouldn't trust me so much.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I sometimes wish He wouldn't trust me so much.
Me too....
Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 AM

GL550
Get the 550 and you will soon forget about this miserable experience.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Get the 550 and you will soon forget about this miserable experience.
I never really considered the 550 because I think the sticker price scared me away. I will have to look those up. Does anyone know what one can reasonably expect to get the Gl550 for? I guess I will have to go do some research if/when it ever comes to this. I am not even really aware of all the differences between the 450/550. Time to research!

Edit: Ha..there is a thread about this right under mine. Looks like someone just got an 11 Gl550 for 80K. (10% off sticker) Hmmmm.

Last edited by TamZ; 02-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by TamZ
He likes the Audi Q7 and the BMW X5. He'd buy either one of those over the GL. He originally wanted the Denali.
Skip the Denali. It's fundamentally the same truck as my Escalade and not nearly at the same level of quality as an MBZ, Audi, or BMW. It looks nice at first glance but it's very much lacking in refinement and details.

BTW, my Escalade is for sale. Want it?

- Mark
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mdadgar
Skip the Denali. It's fundamentally the same truck as my Escalade and not nearly at the same level of quality as an MBZ, Audi, or BMW. It looks nice at first glance but it's very much lacking in refinement and details.

BTW, my Escalade is for sale. Want it?

- Mark
I think I will have to pass...lol.. I've done the Tahoe thing, the Suburban thing (and then the Hummer thing)...(ie. The GM thing.)What I like about the GL is it SEEMS so much smaller to me than those vehicles yet offers me the same seating still, comfortably.

In reality, it really sort of irritates me that I like the GL best, because right now, I feel that MBZ does not deserve that kind of loyalty from me, with the way they don't seem to be handling this. Sigh...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 PM

I think I will have to pass...lol.. I've done the Tahoe thing, the Suburban thing (and then the Hummer thing)...(ie. The GM thing.)
The problem with the Escalade is that it's got the quality level of the Tahoe and Suburban but the price level of the GL. I mean, the thing is a tarted-up Tahoe/Suburban with a $70K+ price tag. Crazy.

Good thing I bought mine used, 2 years old, at 50% of original sticker.

- Mark
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM

MBUSA DENIED BUYBACK REQUEST

Just an update to the saga of my 2011 GL350

MBUSA HAS DENIED MY REQUEST FOR A BUY BACK.

The letter they sent me today says:

After a thorough review of my case, it was confirmed that my vehicle does not qualify for a refund or a replacement. My warranty repairs on this vehicle DO NOT CONSTITUTE A SUBSTANTIAL DEFECT, NOR DOES THE REPAIR HISTORY REFLECT AN UNREASONABLE OR EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS. For this reason, we are declining to repurchase the vehicle as you have requested.

We will be hiring an attorney. The day my husband spoke to Randy, they already knew the decision. This is the same day they had us fax even more information. Why bother when they had already made the decision. The President will be getting my most updated letter with paperwork etc, perhaps he will look further into this. But I honestly believe Mercedes-Benz should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

I find this absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever gone through with a vehicle. My vehicle has been a piece of crap since week 2 of ownership.

I picked up the vehicle today. It was found to need a brand new air compressor and so that was installed yesterday and I picked it up this afternoon. The only good news is, as of now, that has solved the issue with the constant grinding of the air compressor, for now.

Tam
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 PM

After a thorough review of my case, it was confirmed that my vehicle does not qualify for a refund or a replacement. My warranty repairs on this vehicle DO NOT CONSTITUTE A SUBSTANTIAL DEFECT, NOR DOES THE REPAIR HISTORY REFLECT AN UNREASONABLE OR EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS. For this reason, we are declining to repurchase the vehicle as you have requested.
<boggle>

This is going to end up costing them.

- Mark
Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Has your vehicle been "in the shop" for more than 30 days for these repairs? If so, I think you can still fight to have the vehicle declared a lemon in the state of cali per point #3.

" ....the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by nynd
Has your vehicle been "in the shop" for more than 30 days for these repairs? If so, I think you can still fight to have the vehicle declared a lemon in the state of cali per point #3.

" ....the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."
Yes, more than 30 days and then some. Surely this has to be a joke!

I'm going to let an attorney has this out. I've had it up to F#@$#% here with MBUSA.

Last edited by TamZ; 02-04-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
We are all getting a sad lesson in the difference between a 'buy back' and a lemon law return. The 'buy back' seems to be at the manufacturer's option and they don't have to have any reason for their decision except that 'it doesn't qualify' (whatever that is). The lemon law takes it out of their hands and into the jurisdiction of a state court. The arrogance of Mercedes in this case demonstrates the value of the law (even though lawyers will get rich over it)
Very, very sad
Old 02-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
We are all getting a sad lesson in the difference between a 'buy back' and a lemon law return. The 'buy back' seems to be at the manufacturer's option and they don't have to have any reason for their decision except that 'it doesn't qualify' (whatever that is). The lemon law takes it out of their hands and into the jurisdiction of a state court. The arrogance of Mercedes in this case demonstrates the value of the law (even though lawyers will get rich over it)
Very, very sad
In my last correspondence, that we sent a couple days ago certified mail, I doubt they have received yet, at least I haven't gotten the return receipt yet. That included additional repair visits, that I'm only hoping they must not have known about, etc. I just got additional repair visit receipts from today's pick up where they replaced the entire airmatic compressor. They made this decision before they even knew the vehicle was in the shop this last time for 4 more days for the airmatic compressor replacement.

I'm honestly and truly shocked. If I could say the two things that should not be in the same sentence together it would be: My GL and the words " does not reflect an unreasonable or excessive number of repair attempts." I mean, truly. Are they idiots? (and I hate that word, I tell my children not to use it. But yet here I am, slinging it around.)
Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 PM

2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
total bs. I guess 17 times in the shop isnt enough? 30823083 problems isnt enough? Oil leaking, blown turbo, air suspension compressor, massive wind noise.. etc etc etc I guess that is supposted to happen on a BRAND NEW VEHICLE!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 PM

S600

We will be hiring an attorney. The day my husband spoke to Randy, they already knew the decision. This is the same day they had us fax even more information. Why bother when they had already made the decision. The President will be getting my most updated letter with paperwork etc, perhaps he will look further into this. But I honestly believe Mercedes-Benz should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

I find this absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever gone through with a vehicle. My vehicle has been a piece of crap since week 2 of ownership.

I picked up the vehicle today. It was found to need a brand new air compressor and so that was installed yesterday and I picked it up this afternoon. The only good news is, as of now, that has solved the issue with the constant grinding of the air compressor, for now.

Tam
ugh...sorry to hear about this BS.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 PM

total bs. I guess 17 times in the shop isnt enough? 30823083 problems isnt enough? Oil leaking, blown turbo, air suspension compressor, massive wind noise.. etc etc etc I guess that is supposted to happen on a BRAND NEW VEHICLE!
Well it wasn't 17 times but it was quite often, as we all know.

In my angst over this, I started my other thread about MBUSA's customer service, but it seems I can't start two threads about 'technically' the same thing, which I did think about when I started mine but since my original thread was about "wind noise" I felt as if some people who don't have wind noise might never open this thread, so I wanted to shout out to the world that what MBUSA did to us, is shoddy. Now I feel like a kid who got a bit scolded for doing something she shouldn't have. LOL... But I understand. I'm guessing that ANY thread with 10,000+ views will be seen regardless, so I apologize for the "double" thread.

I'm still frustrated, but our attorney will get back to us with the name of a good lemon law attorney, (I guess I don't understand why an attorney who handles other things for our business wouldn't handle a lemon law case??) so for now...I'm just going to make sure I have all my paperwork and let the pros handle it from here. On our way to dinner this evening, we dropped in to the service department. They were as shocked as we were in regards to the decision. In my letter, it specifically states that if I have questions about my "dealerships findings" to call them, and names the service manager as the person to call if I don't agree. My service department maintains they recommended from the very get go, that MBUSA BUY BACK my vehicle, so we are meeting with the service manager on Tuesday. So unless they are absolutely lying to us, and I honestly do not believe they are, (and yes, I point blank asked them tonight...) they were all as shocked as we were. I let them read the letter and it looks like MBUSA sort of threw their service manager under the bus, and made it look as if this decision was based on their recommendation. It even lists the name and phone # of the service manager as the person I should contact should I have any questions about the decision.

Once again, I appreciate every single person who has followed me through this process and had encouraging words and advice to offer. I must say, even if I am unhappy with MBUSA's shoddy customer service, I can honestly say I have met some very nice, helpful people on this board, and for that, I am thankful.

As always,
Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 02-04-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 AM

2011 GL450
I am completely shocked and embarrassed that MBUSA has treated you this way. I am glad to hear you are hiring an attorney. Hopefully they can get it lemon lawed for you. As you already know it is a lengthy process. When I tried to lemon law my Tahoe, it took over a year and I still didn't win. I hope yours is quick and smooth!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 AM

GL550
After all of this the dealer should have made you whole. It is called the cost of doing business. They can rescue this POS and put it on their CPO lot since MBZ has determined the vehicle to be fine, put you in a new truck and everyone is satisfied. Now they are going to force you into something you don't even want and they will never see you or your friends for future business. I am surprised considering the competition in So Cal.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
After all of this the dealer should have made you whole. It is called the cost of doing business. They can rescue this POS and put it on their CPO lot since MBZ has determined the vehicle to be fine, put you in a new truck and everyone is satisfied. Now they are going to force you into something you don't even want and they will never see you or your friends for future business. I am surprised considering the competition in So Cal.
Thanks Leosophie-- These days I'm surprised by nothing!

I'm trying very hard to reserve judgment against the actual dealership until I meet with Tina, the service manager. I just feel like everything I've been told by the dealer vs. the information I received in the letter from Randy at MBUSA is very contradictory. I'm going to give them a chance to tell me their side of the story and then I'm going to hand everything over to the lawyer. I have no idea if the fact that I didn't purchase my car at their actual dealership has anything to do with it, however, I had already made it clear I would be purchasing a new one from them, if the buy back went through. Maybe that didn't matter.

I counted the days, as far as I can tell from my paperwork, it has been 20 weeks since actual purchase of the car, it went into the shop within the first few weeks of ownership for the first time for the NOX sensor and from that point on, I believe its been "in the shop" 34 days total. I have no idea what they base their "in the shop" days on. I am counting total days my car has been out of my posession and at a Mercedes Dealership. MBUSA must have an entirely different idea of what "excessive repairs" means.

Knock on wood, SO FAR, now that they replaced the entire airmatic compressor with a new one, the annoying grinding noise of the compressor seems to be taken care of. Only took 18 weeks and 34 days in the shop.

Thanks guys! I'm off to more basketball games, the story of my life.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MomsBenz
I am completely shocked and embarrassed that MBUSA has treated you this way. I am glad to hear you are hiring an attorney. Hopefully they can get it lemon lawed for you. As you already know it is a lengthy process. When I tried to lemon law my Tahoe, it took over a year and I still didn't win. I hope yours is quick and smooth!
You and me both, girl. You and me both...
Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
If I was you and you want to be done with this, simply take it to another dealership and trade it in for a GL550 (no adblue sloshing to worry about). Only thing is you are giving MB more business which I know kills you to do this but at least it puts you into something else you can enjoy!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Quoting the Mercedes Corporate position "DO NOT CONSTITUTE A SUBSTANTIAL DEFECT, NOR DOES THE REPAIR HISTORY REFLECT AN UNREASONABLE OR EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS. "

I think if I purchase another Mercedes it WILL constitute a substantial defect and/or an unreasonable and excessive number of purchases! Perhaps that statement is too subtle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(