GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by mdadgar
Don't get too cocky. The crazy **** we come up with out here drifts over to your state eventually.

- Mark
Or Canada (heh) as the case may be.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by pteam
can you explain? did you have a lemon?
Yes I had a lemon. I had an '08 GL450 that had a dead battery at least once a week. It was towed in dead and they could never find the draw. After 5 months they bought the car back and put me into an '09 for the same price and the new one was better equipped then the one I had
Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Wow! it's like a HOA for car pooling! What will you guys dream up next?

Yes, I agree I hope they can help her out. I would be having a stroke by now. I'm not kidding, I just can't cope with that sort of grief. There should be some mechanism to get the distributor involved early on cases like this. What sort of warranty claims have they paid out so far? $5,000. $10.000? Why not just nip it in the bud, and get the customer into a new car rather than clown around with "repairs".
I am sure all it took was one law suit from a parent that made this whole "approved" vehicle rule come about.

I can totally feel her frustration! If they wouldn't of come in when they did and got me out of mine I would of left Mercedes-Benz forever. A company that stands behind their cars and cares about their customers keeps them coming back.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Otherwise, i'd be off to the Lexus dealer, if of course, the Lexus is an approved car for Tamz' basketball team. Still don't have that part figured out...
Sorry I'm so late in replying, I had the tournament and the Cheer competition this weekend and didn't get home until late last night!

lol..It's not that it's a Mercedes (or Lexus) that makes it approved. MomsBenz has it right..and it's a pain. Due to school budget cuts, our school district cut many things. Our district doesn't offer ANY bus transportation at all now, including regular transportation to school for kids who live quite a ways from the school. It also includes transportation to school sporting events. It's become a huge hassle. To get the kids to their sporting events, parents have to offer to drive. Not all parents can drive because of work obligations, etc so those of us who can and have vehicles that can carry students (i.e lots of seats) have to go through a process of verification, driving record, we have to have get the higher limits of insurance (100,000/300,000 per accident), etc. Then, once we can prove we have all that, THEN we have to get our vehicles inspected. They check tires, make sure everything is in working order, etc. and then deem you a "certifed" driver. But I'm only allowed to drive THAT particular vehicle to transport students because that vehicle was inspected. They won't let me take students in the rental C300 unless I refill out paperwork and have THAT car inspected (takes about a week). That's what I meant..lol..not that it's a Mercedes.

At the rate things are going with this GL, I should probably consider getting the C300 inspected and certified--looks like I might be driving it more often than I thought. hehe.

Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 12-05-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ksalno
Tam,

Have you talked to the sales manager at the dealership? We had an Audi A4 that gave us constant problems. Instead of going the lemon law route, I sat down with the sales manager at the dealership. We've bought a number of Porches and Audis from this dealer over the years. I explained the situation and asked him to work out a deal to put me into a new A4 and take the problematic one back in trade, with minimal (but not zero) out of pocket cost to me. He was able to put a deal together that got us a new A4 for a few thousand in cost. Since this was my wife's car, I wanted there to be no question about reliability, so for me it was worth it to spend the extra money to get a new car and not have to hassle with the lemon law process.

If you have a long term relationship with the Mercedes dealer, you may want to try this approach. If you are like me, no matter what they fix, you will never trust this vehicle again. You don't want to be in that position with such an expensive vehicle.
I get what you are saying... but my problems started at literally 500 miles, when the engine light came on and the defective NOX sensor started. I honestly don't feel I should be out "a few thousand dollars" for only getting to drive my BRAND NEW CAR 500 miles before it becoming problematic. From that time on, it's literally been one thing after another.

If this had happened after a year of problem-free driving, perhaps. After 500 miles, not even *I* could be that nice. (and I'm pretty darn nice.)

Tam
Old 12-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MomsBenz

I can totally feel her frustration! If they wouldn't of come in when they did and got me out of mine I would of left Mercedes-Benz forever. A company that stands behind their cars and cares about their customers keeps them coming back.
Let me tell ya, it's going to be extremely hard to talk my husband into me staying in a GL, if they decide to do right by us and buy this car back. He's had it. I, on the other hand, really do love the GL--just not MY GL. I will be sad if when this is all said and done, my husband heavily persuades me to get something else. I can't think of another SUV I'd like more than the GL, at the moment. Yet, if Mercedes doesn't stand behind their product on this, I cannot see my husband EVER buying another MB product. My father in-law, a HUGE MB fan over the years, has purchased I can't tell you how many MB cars (E's, S's, ML's)..He JUST bought an S550 3 weeks before we bought our GL (from the same dealer) and he is DUMBFOUNDED that we are having all these problems! If they don't take care of us with this, I think my father in law will write a letter himself. LOL! (I love him lol)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by TamZ
Let me tell ya, it's going to be extremely hard to talk my husband into me staying in a GL, if they decide to do right by us and buy this car back. He's had it. I, on the other hand, really do love the GL--just not MY GL. I will be sad if when this is all said and done, my husband heavily persuades me to get something else. I can't think of another SUV I'd like more than the GL, at the moment. Yet, if Mercedes doesn't stand behind their product on this, I cannot see my husband EVER buying another MB product. My father in-law, a HUGE MB fan over the years, has purchased I can't tell you how many MB cars (E's, S's, ML's)..He JUST bought an S550 3 weeks before we bought our GL (from the same dealer) and he is DUMBFOUNDED that we are having all these problems! If they don't take care of us with this, I think my father in law will write a letter himself. LOL! (I love him lol)
I know how you feel. I took a leap of faith and got another one. My '09 has been 100% problem free. The only thing that has gone wrong was the parking break release in the car broke (guess I pulled on it too hard ). I wish you the best. There are some very nice looking SUV's out right now.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600
I know how you feel. I took a leap of faith and got another one. My '09 has been 100% problem free. The only thing that has gone wrong was the parking break release in the car broke (guess I pulled on it too hard ). I wish you the best. There are some very nice looking SUV's out right now.
i was in the same situation as momsbenz (who actually helped me a lot in my lemon law demand letter... thanks again!) with the 07 ml500 mbusa bought back.

took a leap of faith on on 09 gl550 as the replacement, and it has been a trouble free car (17k miles) minus some condensation in the left side mirror lens which was promptly replaced.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by spdracer53
i was in the same situation as momsbenz (who actually helped me a lot in my lemon law demand letter... thanks again!) with the 07 ml500 mbusa bought back.

took a leap of faith on on 09 gl550 as the replacement, and it has been a trouble free car (17k miles) minus some condensation in the left side mirror lens which was promptly replaced.
Your welcome I have been thinking about getting a 550 myself soon!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Your welcome I have been thinking about getting a 550 myself soon!
If I get another one, I'm not sure whether I will get the GL350 or a GL450/550. I never really considered the 450 or 550, only because my husband was SO sold on the diesel and the mpg. But..I can't help but have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth with the GL350..so...I will have some considerations to consider.

They called today...The new strut/shock came in---MB only sent ONE bolt with the package and it is the WRONG BOLT. So..they have to order new bolts for the strut. Not the mechanics fault but MB's fault.

I don't even know what to say about Mercedes-Benz these days....Ugh.

T.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM

2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
If I get another one, I'm not sure whether I will get the GL350 or a GL450/550. I never really considered the 450 or 550, only because my husband was SO sold on the diesel and the mpg. But..I can't help but have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth with the GL350..so...I will have some considerations to consider.

They called today...The new strut/shock came in---MB only sent ONE bolt with the package and it is the WRONG BOLT. So..they have to order new bolts for the strut. Not the mechanics fault but MB's fault.

T.
momsbenz's lemon was a gl450 so its not just the diesel. IMO the diesel is the way to go without question not even a consideration if your buying. You get $700+ gas savings per year compared to the 450, you get the $1800 tax credit for buying it, and you only have to fill up every 600+ miles, and the sticker price is $1,000 less for the diesel.

If your leasing the GL450 is so much cheaper than the diesel that it makes the diesels gas savings even more money and the 450 is the better deal.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM

momsbenz's lemon was a gl450 so its not just the diesel. IMO the diesel is the way to go without question not even a consideration if your buying. You get $700+ gas savings per year compared to the 450, you get the $1800 tax credit for buying it, and you only have to fill up every 600+ miles, and the sticker price is $1,000 less for the diesel.

If your leasing the GL450 is so much cheaper than the diesel that it makes the diesels gas savings even more money and the 450 is the better deal.
We are buying our GL350 (and would also buy any future car as well.) I know the diesel makes my husband happy and would probably be what we'd get, especially because of the mpg AND the $1800 tax credit. I have no complaints about the motor noise, etc from the diesel. If anything, I'm shocked it's so quiet. It's all the other stuff!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 PM

2011 GL450

Hmmm...maybe I will buy a 350 next
Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 AM

I was taking some pictures of the kiddos today on the porch and realized..I have Lemon signs all over my porch. It must have been a sign. Sigh...
Old 12-07-2010, 04:40 PM

I was taking some pictures of the kiddos today on the porch and realized..I have Lemon signs all over my porch. It must have been a sign. Sigh...
maybe you secretly asked for a lemon...
Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 PM

S600

T.
on the bright side... it just adds more days the gl is in the shop which will help in your demand letter.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by spdracer53
on the bright side... it just adds more days the gl is in the shop which will help in your demand letter.
This is true..

They called again today. Replaced the shock, but he said that didn't fix the noise. So...still no car.

He said the compressor (for the airmatic) runs a lot..sometimes constantly...they said they expect to hear a slight noise when you stop and park or when you first get in..but not a continuous one. Also, he said it is still clunking. I was at UCLA medical center today, though, and didn't have time to talk with him on the phone. So Basically what I heard was, compressor, noise, clunk, not done, call you tomorrow.

Sigh,
T.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 PM

maybe you secretly asked for a lemon...
trust me, I'm beginning to wonder myself!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
It must have been a sign.
Did you just say that, out loud?

You've reminded me that Leslie Neilson just passed away.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Did you just say that, out loud?

You've reminded me that Leslie Neilson just passed away.
lol...
Old 12-08-2010, 02:58 PM

UGH--Latested update.

Got another call today from the SA, I'm beginning to feel sorry for the guy, all he ever gets to deliver to me is more bad news.

They still cannot figure out why the compressor is running like it is. Apparently, the clunk from the NEW shock is still there. The mechanic was out driving my car to try and troubleshoot this when the SA called me.

A couple days ago, they had called to tell me that they think the oil that was leaking from the engine transmission was just "new" oil left over from the factory, etc. They cleaned up all the oil and wanted to "look into it" after 4,000-5,000 miles. Well..he called back today and said, "We are going to have to look into the oil leak again, because it is still leaking oil, more oil is showing up again, leaking. So, I'm sure it must be leaking oil on their shop floor, just like it's leaking oil on my husbands garage floor. They will be trying to diagnose that today. He said it has them perplexed.

I'm a bit perplexed myself. I thought I bought a NEW CAR. (this is not this dealers fault, but MBUSA's fault!) I'm about 2 paragraphs into my letter to MBUSA and I am finding it very hard to be nice. It's type..delete..type..delete...

ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!!
T.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM

S600
Got another call today from the SA, I'm beginning to feel sorry for the guy, all he ever gets to deliver to me is more bad news.

They still cannot figure out why the compressor is running like it is. Apparently, the clunk from the NEW shock is still there. The mechanic was out driving my car to try and troubleshoot this when the SA called me.

A couple days ago, they had called to tell me that they think the oil that was leaking from the engine transmission was just "new" oil left over from the factory, etc. They cleaned up all the oil and wanted to "look into it" after 4,000-5,000 miles. Well..he called back today and said, "We are going to have to look into the oil leak again, because it is still leaking oil, more oil is showing up again, leaking. So, I'm sure it must be leaking oil on their shop floor, just like it's leaking oil on my husbands garage floor. They will be trying to diagnose that today. He said it has them perplexed.

I'm a bit perplexed myself. I thought I bought a NEW CAR. (this is not this dealers fault, but MBUSA's fault!) I'm about 2 paragraphs into my letter to MBUSA and I am finding it very hard to be nice. It's type..delete..type..delete...

ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!!
T.
don't worry about it. they don't call it a "demand" letter for being nice.

my letter's paragraph was structured...positive, negative, very negative, then positive again.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
snip

ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!!
T.
I don't recall, but have you demanded to or met yet with a Mercedes headquarters or 'official' regional rep?. Might be something to pursue as a next step. One of the questions you might demand an answer to is:

"At what point does M-B decide your "old" GL is not worth any more effort and should simply be replaced, by Corporate, with an new one OF YOUR CHOOSING?" and "What are their criteria for making that decision?"

They SHOULD even offer to build one for you! Any option(s) you want!!

GREAT THREAD - keep us advised
Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
I don't recall, but have you demanded to or met yet with a Mercedes headquarters or 'official' regional rep?. Might be something to pursue as a next step. One of the questions you might demand an answer to is:

"At what point does M-B decide your "old" GL is not worth any more effort and should simply be replaced, by Corporate, with an new one OF YOUR CHOOSING?" and "What are their criteria for making that decision?"

They SHOULD even offer to build one for you! Any option(s) you want!!

GREAT THREAD - keep us advised
This is actually something that I have NOT brought up to the SA yet. I haven't even mentioned I'm writing MBUSA a letter. I haven't talked about getting a regional involved, mostly because the SA and the mechanic supervisor are being so generous with their time and have been nothing short of wonderful trying to help me...

But..tomorrow I do plan on discussing this with him. I'm just going to tell them I'm pretty darn sick of it all. I feel it's a waste of MY time (HUGE.) We already had an SUV that was beginning to end up in the shop for little things..which became annoying. We purchased this GL so we would not have to deal with having a vehicle always in the shop.

This BRAND SPANKIN NEW (18 miles on the odometer when I bought it) 2011 GL350 has been in the shop WAY more than my 8 year old 2004 H2 EVER was.

I plan on telling them I've owned the vehicle for about 10 weeks. Tomorrow will mark exactly 3 weeks of it being in the shop, plus 2 additional 2 day visits at the other dealer. This dealer had the car in their shop exactly 2 weeks before I got it back the first time. I drove it for a few days and it went right back in. They've had it ever since. I just find that absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!!! (ooohhh, Tams getting mad. LOL)

I am also irritated that I am making a "GL sized" car payment..only to drive a C300 every day. (loaner car) I've only made 2 payments on this vehicle and it's been in the shop nearly 4 weeks of that!

T.

Last edited by TamZ; 12-08-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Also at this point there are 2830383028 things wrong with it its not just one problem. It really seems like the whole car is falling apart. Tell them you want them to lemon it and give you a new one due to 308230383830 different problems and tell them to schedule a date with a mercedes rep with you at the dealer or have them call you.

P.S. I check this thread everyday hoping for some good news for you. At this point I dont think you should take the car back, there are too many different issues for this car to even be taken.

I have this deep down gut feeling that if this happens to me I'll blow a gasket! Its kinda like a feeling you have when you have a dream and your dieing in the dream and then you wake up. Thats kinda how I feel about the day when I pickup my new mercedes GL comes, hoping it doesnt have 30830282083 problems

Last edited by pteam; 12-08-2010 at 11:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(