GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by nynd
If I was you and you want to be done with this, simply take it to another dealership and trade it in for a GL550 (no adblue sloshing to worry about). Only thing is you are giving MB more business which I know kills you to do this but at least it puts you into something else you can enjoy!
I don't think the original purchaser did anything wrong to get stuck with the difference between her trade and any new car. Just remember that any new car, no matter the mileage or condition looses 10-20% of its monetary value once it is driven off the car lot.

I would stick with the lemon law lawyer plan, unless of course the cost of that will be more than any loss on the trade.

Last edited by aggst1; 02-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 PM

2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by aggst1
I don't think the original purchaser did anything wrong to get stuck with the difference between her trade and any new car. Just remember that any new car, no matter the mileage or condition looses 10-20% of its monetary value once it is driven off the car lot.

I would stick with the lemon law lawyer plan, unless of course the cost of that will be more than any loss on the trade.
I won't trade this car in on ANY Mercedes product, I can guarantee that. If Mercedes still, after everything, refuses to buy back my car and if for whatever reason, it doesn't qualify for the lemon law (how it couldn't, I'm not sure..but who knows after this!?!?) I can assure you our family owned business and our combined families will never give Mercedes-Benz another dime of our money. Between us all, we have purchased various E's, S's, M's and now this GL. NEVER AGAIN. Our loyalty to MBZ was there...I have seen none reciprocated. I realize in the grand scheme of things this probably means diddly squat to Mercedes-Benz (as evidenced by their stance that out of 5 months of ownership, having my vehicle be in the shop for OVER a MONTH of that time having various repairs, is not excessive....) but it will make me feel better.

The Audi Q7 is looking better every day.

Still disgusted, but happy at least that now I don't have to listen to the grinding compressor at every stop. I want to kiss the mechanic.

Last edited by TamZ; 02-05-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by TamZ
I won't trade this car in on ANY Mercedes product, I can guarantee that. If Mercedes still, after everything, refuses to buy back my car and if for whatever reason, it doesn't qualify for the lemon law (how it couldn't, I'm not sure..but who knows after this!?!?) I can assure you our family owned business and our combined families will never give Mercedes-Benz another dime of our money. Between us all, we have purchased various E's, S's, M's and now this GL. NEVER AGAIN. Our loyalty to MBZ was there...I have seen none reciprocated. I realize in the grand scheme of things this probably means diddly squat to Mercedes-Benz (as evidenced by their stance that out of 5 months of ownership, having my vehicle be in the shop for OVER a MONTH of that time having various repairs, is not excessive....) but it will make me feel better.

The Audi Q7 is looking better every day.

Still disgusted, but happy at least that now I don't have to listen to the grinding compressor at every stop. I want to kiss the mechanic.
i'm still surprised at how everything has played out now based on my experiences with mbusa buy back.

its a long shot, but worth a try but did you try calling mbusa to get a hold of either my rep, or mombenz's rep for a second opinion on the matter?

regarding hiring a lemon law attorney, there are a lot of good ones based in socal who will work for free and will get their attorney's fees paid for by mbusa when they win...so there isn't really a need to pay out of pocket.

lastly, not sure if you spend anytime in the third row seating but before we bought the gl, we looked at the q7 and i found the seating to be rather uncomfortable in the third row with no legroom or head room.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by spdracer53
i'm still surprised at how everything has played out now based on my experiences with mbusa buy back.

its a long shot, but worth a try but did you try calling mbusa to get a hold of either my rep, or mombenz's rep for a second opinion on the matter?

regarding hiring a lemon law attorney, there are a lot of good ones based in socal who will work for free and will get their attorney's fees paid for by mbusa when they win...so there isn't really a need to pay out of pocket.

lastly, not sure if you spend anytime in the third row seating but before we bought the gl, we looked at the q7 and i found the seating to be rather uncomfortable in the third row with no legroom or head room.
I have not called either of your adjusters yet, only because we were really trying to wait and see what Randy did for us (nothing...lol). After we meet with our service manager this week, my husband is going to call Randy, after we are sure they have received our huge packets that I sent last week. If we make no headway about getting them to reconsider after receiving our packets with all the additional information, I will have him call. I'm having to have him do the talking now because I am getting so flustered and upset about the whole thing, I would have a hard time keeping a calm head. He sticks more to the facts and I tend to get emotional about it all. So...we'll see.

about the Q7, yes...honestly, the entire reason I purchased the GL over several of the other vehicles I looked at was the 3rd row seat. The X5's seems the worst, yet once my husband realized he wasn't talking me into the Denali, he really pushed for that BMW X5. But then again, even now that I've used that 3rd row a handful of times, it's always where we toss the 2 little ones, if others are with us--so no adults really, will ever see that back seat in reality. So sometimes I think..maybe getting the Q7 or the BMW X5 with the less appealing backseat would be fine--to not have to deal with Mercedes-Benz ever again. But that still doesn't change the fact that I actually like the way the GL looks over both the Q7 and the X5. Also, and this will sound silly to some..but the Q7 doesn't even offer a OEM rear entertainment system. I have 3 children..and on long rides that is so nice to have built in--without having to take it somewhere to have aftermarket stuff put in, etc. We did that with the tahoe and it was one problem after another with all the aftermarket stuff--I gave up and we just had TV's that never worked in that Tahoe at the end. I can't figure out why Audi doesn't offer that, considering most people driving the Q7 will be families and us so called 'soccer moms'. Sigh...

Have a great day, I'm taking my kids for a hike up in the mountains to blow off some of this stress!!!!
Tam
Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
I have not called either of your adjusters yet, only because we were really trying to wait and see what Randy did for us (nothing...lol). After we meet with our service manager this week, my husband is going to call Randy, after we are sure they have received our huge packets that I sent last week. If we make no headway about getting them to reconsider after receiving our packets with all the additional information, I will have him call. I'm having to have him do the talking now because I am getting so flustered and upset about the whole thing, I would have a hard time keeping a calm head. He sticks more to the facts and I tend to get emotional about it all. So...we'll see.

about the Q7, yes...honestly, the entire reason I purchased the GL over several of the other vehicles I looked at was the 3rd row seat. The X5's seems the worst, yet once my husband realized he wasn't talking me into the Denali, he really pushed for that BMW X5. But then again, even now that I've used that 3rd row a handful of times, it's always where we toss the 2 little ones, if others are with us--so no adults really, will ever see that back seat in reality. So sometimes I think..maybe getting the Q7 or the BMW X5 with the less appealing backseat would be fine--to not have to deal with Mercedes-Benz ever again. But that still doesn't change the fact that I actually like the way the GL looks over both the Q7 and the X5. Also, and this will sound silly to some..but the Q7 doesn't even offer a OEM rear entertainment system. I have 3 children..and on long rides that is so nice to have built in--without having to take it somewhere to have aftermarket stuff put in, etc. We did that with the tahoe and it was one problem after another with all the aftermarket stuff--I gave up and we just had TV's that never worked in that Tahoe at the end. I can't figure out why Audi doesn't offer that, considering most people driving the Q7 will be families and us so called 'soccer moms'. Sigh...

Have a great day, I'm taking my kids for a hike up in the mountains to blow off some of this stress!!!!
Tam
Those are all the same reason's why we didn't purchase and X5 or Q7. I too LOVE the look of the GL over all those SUV's. Hang in there. Now that the compressor is fixed, maybe they can install an new windshield and get rid of the wind noise and then work on the adblue tank and make this GL a car you love again. One of the major issues (airmatic) is now resolved. Just trying to be optimistic in a very sad situation. I really hope that after this week, MBUSA reconsiders and makes you a happy girl!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by MomsBenz
Those are all the same reason's why we didn't purchase and X5 or Q7. I too LOVE the look of the GL over all those SUV's. Hang in there. Now that the compressor is fixed, maybe they can install an new windshield and get rid of the wind noise and then work on the adblue tank and make this GL a car you love again. One of the major issues (airmatic) is now resolved. Just trying to be optimistic in a very sad situation. I really hope that after this week, MBUSA reconsiders and makes you a happy girl!
Thanks Kaila. I sure hope so. I will say, though, that now that they FINALLY FIXED the compressor--it's refreshing to drive something that doesn't come to a grinding halt. You have to realize my car has been coming to a very noisy stop with a huge blow of air anytime I stop or slow down..lol..now..it's nearly silent. I have heard a very occasional woosh of air but I have not heard the compressor at all now that they replaced it. I'm afraid to say its "fixed" but I think that is at least one problem they seem to have finally solved. I have never been able to experience actually driving the GL and not having all sorts of weird noises. I think it was ultra annoying because I have so MANY noises (wind, the airmatic compressor, the loud air swoosh, the clunking adblue..) But it is amazing how much better I already "like" the vehicle, now that the grinding airmatic compressor has stopped. That said, I still do not feel like I got what I paid for. You can't sell a vehicle that requires 34 days in the shop within the first 18-20 weeks of ownership. So frustrating.

I did find a cure all today for thinking about my car problems. The hike we went on today was a killer. 7.5 miles straight up a mountain to a waterfall... there used to be a nice fire road cut for about 1/2 of it but it was washed out in a storm and I spent 6 hours rock hopping, creek hopping and then eventually heading straight up the side of a mountain before dropping down into some steep switchbacks and to a beautiful watefall.

I didn't think of my GL once But now I won't be able to walk tomorrow.

T.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
This story sort of sours me on MB. I hate it when people/companies can't admit when they are wrong. I have to say the BMW prepaid maintenance, and $50 services with free detailing at Lexus is sounding better and better every day. I'm also in the market for a new car right now...
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Just a small update-- My husband and I met today with the service manager at the dealership. She took a copy of my letter and said she is going to be looking into this as she did NOT make the decision the letter stated at all, her recommendation was that my car SHOULD be bought back, and she said that 30 days was the magic number for this type of thing, and she knew I was already at that number even before my last visit. She is not a happy camper at all...and I am glad to have her on my side. I know she technically is on MB's side, but she also knows exactly what we've been through with the car. She is making phone calls and will get back to us. I'm not sure what this will do for us, but we're waiting for her to get back to us on this, she asked me to wait until we hear back from her. We also advised them of our intention to pursue this further with an attorney, if MBUSA does not offer to buy back our vehicle. They are as confused by this situation as we are.

I'll keep everyone updated.
T.

Last edited by TamZ; 02-07-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I know she technically is on MB's side, but she also knows exactly what we've been through with the car.
It is always nice to have the dealership on your side, evne if sometimes they really can't do anything. As for whether the dealer is technically on MB's side, I'd say generally "yes", but at the same time the dealership a) is the one who has to deal with these problems face-to-face and b) would like as much as possible for people to view their products in a positive light. That would most probably explain her recommendation that MBUSA purchase back the vehicle, and her desire to escalate the matter directly with them.

I am sometimes baffled by businesses' decisions with regards to customer service. In this situation (like I've experienced), those who actually deal directly with the customers sometimes seem to be more in tune with the decision benefiting the customer, rather than just the financially sound decision. Tough to do in good times, even tougher in times like these.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM

My Case going back to Review

Another short update:

The Service Manager from our dealership called today. She met with a Mercedes Representative today. (She was actually in the meeting when my husband called this morning to inquire.) She did not go into all that she discussed about my car (and probably is not able to, really) but she called to let me know they were re-opening my case and they are going to re-investigate it. I have no idea if this will take an additional 6 weeks like it did the last time or not. She said she will get back to me.

At least something is "on the move"... I've really sort of just let the service department manager deal with this this past week, and moved on with my regular life. At this point, they will either offer to buy it back after this next review, or I will hand it over to the attorney, and if he thinks we have a lemon case, let them deal with it.

I still have nothing but good things to say about the actual service department at my dealership. And even though I am still hearing a few random "air releases" (some at stop signs and some during driving), it is NOTHING like it was. And that incessant grinding of the airmatic compressor at each stop is no longer happening with the new airmatic compressor they put on last week. That (and the adblue clunking) were driving me insane. So I am thankful it is at least one thing that I don't have to deal with!!! (Again, I want to kiss the mechanic!!)

Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 02-10-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
This story sort of sours me on MB. I hate it when people/companies can't admit when they are wrong. I have to say the BMW prepaid maintenance, and $50 services with free detailing at Lexus is sounding better and better every day. I'm also in the market for a new car right now...
Sours me too Brocktoon. I'm in the market too, was planning on trading my 2007 for a 2011 GL350. There's nothing wrong with my GL, it has 80,000 miles on it, but I'm getting worried about my warranty that expires at 100,000.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Another short update:
My case is going back under review

Tam
Good to hear. Sounds like your dealership gets it.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Good to hear. Sounds like your dealership gets it.
I think they do, but I'm more worried about what MBUSA thinks is "excessive service visits". I'm honestly not sure WHAT to expect.

Our claims representative from MBUSA called my husband yesterday morning and left a message on his work phone. My husband called him back immediately and left a message. He didn't hear back from the rep, so he called again and left another message a couple hours later but the rep never called him back. So I guess we'll wait to see if he calls us back on Monday. The Service Manager told me they were going to request more "records", I have no idea if they mean from us or them, but I've sent them EVERYTHING I have. I mean, technically, through their computers, they've had access to "all the records" since day one, so I'm not sure what they mean by that. Sigh...

I've really handed this all over to my husband to deal with. He's the one more irritated now--Seriously, after the mechanic finally fixed the grinding compressor noise, my stress level went down 10-fold. I went back and read through this thread and can't believe how much stress and time I've put into this dang GL since we bought it. Ridiculous!

As you know, I will update again once I hear anything.

As for being soured on Mercedes-Benz--- I think you would know I was lying through my teeth if I didn't tell you this entire thing has soured us.

Tam
Old 02-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Tam,

At this point, I would start wondering what my sanity is worth. Is it worth having a heart attack or nervous breakdown (God forbid, on both) over this? If it was me, I would go down to the dealer, and ask them to put their money where their mouth is and buy the car back from you. If you can get out at $5,000 bucks or less upside down I would do it, and move on. They likely have a related Lexus or other dealer they can refer you to. Maybe you leave some money on the table on the Benz, they call a favour at the Toyota shop, and they give you a similar discount on a Landcruiser or something. Time to get in the driver's seat yourself on this, get creative, and your life back. That's one of the nice things about having some financial wherewithal behind you, Leaving some money on the table won't ruin you, but it may be more refreshing than two weeks at the Fairmount Mayakoba, in a suite, and be less expensive in the long run.

Good Luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM

GREAT NEWS! COMPLETE TURNABOUT ON DECISION!!!

I cannot believe I am able to finally come here and report this...and will do so with the same exuberance I reported their denial a week or so ago.

MBUSA HAS DECIDED TO BUY MY CAR BACK!

As you know, the denial letter came a little over a week ago. I had just sent the huge packets to Ernst Lieb at MBUSA with a 3 page long letter detailing the repairs (that took 2 pages of the letter) done on my GL in the first 20 weeks of ownership. Seems as if that must have done the trick.

I am happy to report that MBUSA has retracted their denial and has now APPROVED my request to buy back my 2011 GL350 Bluetec.

My husband spoke with Randy, the claims representative this morning, who told him that they did in fact receive all of my documentation and letters, etc. and have decided to buy back my vehicle. It will all be taken care of through a 3rd party and could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

Thank you Ernst Lieb. They finally did the right thing. I imagine the dealership will be notified of this as well. I'm simply in shock!

Tam

P.S. Thank you MomsBenz for letting me share my good news with you. I couldn't wait to tell someone!

Last edited by TamZ; 02-14-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM

2011 GL450
I cannot believe I am able to finally come here and report this...and will do so with the same exuberance I reported their denial a week or so ago.

As you know, the denial letter came a little over a week ago. I had just sent the huge packets to Ernst Lieb at MBUSA with a 3 page long letter detailing the repairs (that took 2 pages of the letter) done on my GL in the first 20 weeks of ownership. Seems as if that must have done the trick.

I am happy to report that MBUSA has retracted their denial and has now APPROVED my request to buy back my 2011 GL350 Bluetec.

My husband spoke with the claims representative this morning, who told him that they did in fact receive all of my documentation and letters, etc. and have decided to buy back my vehicle. It will all be taken care of through a 3rd party and could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

Thank you Ernst Lieb. They finally did the right thing.

Tam

P.S. Thank you MomsBenz for letting me share my good news with you this morning first thing. I couldn't wait to tell someone!
Tammy,
I am so excited for you!! And I am glad you shared with me! I purposely stayed away from here because I didn't want to spill the beans, lol! I wanted you to be the one to "shout it from the roof tops!!"
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM

S600

My husband spoke with the claims representative this morning, who told him that they did in fact receive all of my documentation and letters, etc. and have decided to buy back my vehicle. It will all be taken care of through a 3rd party and could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

Thank you Ernst Lieb. They finally did the right thing.

Tam

P.S. Thank you MomsBenz for letting me share my good news with you this morning first thing. I couldn't wait to tell someone!
Great news! I sent you a pm regarding the third party who will be handling the surrendering.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:47 PM

'15 GL450
A huge congrats to Tamz! It is good to hear that perseverence paid off.
I am thoroughly dissappointed in MB for not doing the right thing sooner and especially for not fixing it the first time; total incompetence and stupidity on their part.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:50 PM

My husband told me I should say "It's not over until we get all of our money back" and I suppose he's right to still feel wary.... Even though Randy from MBUSA called to tell us this...He said I shouldn't even have posted until it was a done deal, but I couldn't wait 4-8 weeks to let everyone know...

But I'm still ecstatic. But you know me... Can't help it.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM

That's great news! Do they expect you to buy another GL? If not, what do you think you will get?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
My husband told me I should say "It's not over until we get all of our money back" and I suppose he's right to still feel wary.... Even though Randy from MBUSA called to tell us this...He said I shouldn't even have posted until it was a done deal, but I couldn't wait 4-8 weeks to let everyone know...

But I'm still ecstatic. But you know me... Can't help it.
CONGRATS!! and whoopee!!
I cannot imagine after all the publicity in this forum that M-B could reasonably expect you to NOT put out the good news as soon as you were told. Finally they are reaching the right decision!
Party time!!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
CONGRATS!! and whoopee!!
I cannot imagine after all the publicity in this forum that M-B could reasonably expect you to NOT put out the good news as soon as you were told. Finally they are reaching the right decision!
Party time!!
Thank you. I am still in shock, even after a nice Valentine's Day dinner with the family.

I think I must have worded it wrong, I meant that MY HUSBAND told me that I probably shouldn't even post about it until it's a "done deal" , not MBUSA. He is still of the thinking that he won't believe it until the car is driving away from us. I would imagine eventually, MBUSA would want me to post this here, to show that the finally did come through with my car's situation. There are 1000's of people reading this...I had no idea, but it looks like we're above 12,000 views now. (I am amazed by that!) and I can't help but think that even if my thread discouraged even 100 of those people from buying a Mercedes, that is a LOT of money in possible Mercedes purchases that could have been lost. And it was absolutely never my intention to do that, when I started a thread about "wind noise."

I'm still unsure if MBUSA has even read this thread, even though people say they do. But I guess we will never really know. I hope they did. Randy, the Claims Rep didn't tell my husband not to say anything, and I really did want to share with you all, the fact that they finally did the right thing by us. At least then, people reading this thread would know the outcome and can base their decisions on whether to buy a MB product.

I am still so thankful for everyone's listening ears and advice. I would have probably given up a long time ago had I not found this place.

Thanks to all!
Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 02-14-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
That's great news! Do they expect you to buy another GL? If not, what do you think you will get?
I honestly can't imagine finding another vehicle I like better than the GL. I loved it 22 weeks ago..that is why we bought it. Sigh... My husband, on the other hand, feels like he would rather distrubute $70,000 to all of you fine people, than to give Mercedes-Benz another dime. This is something we are currently disagreeing about.

We'll know more once all the paperwork gets started. I think it all depends on how this buy-back goes down. Right now, all we have is Randy calling us to tell us they are buying it back. As I said, I'm already jumping up and down--my husband is a bit more reluctant to call this a victory just yet.

As I have shown in the past, I choose to look at the positive side of things and am really hopeful that this will all turn out fine! (My husband said they have a word for that: "naive".) Sigh...

Tam
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM

'09 GL320-wife '11E350-me
So bad you had this type of experience with your first MB and a GL. But you had mentioned others in your family had good luck with the marquee. Any manufacturer can have a lemon, you just think that an MB wouldn't. However, just look at all the troubles of Toyota/Lexus right now. We love our '09 GL 320 Bluetec. I hope this doesn't sour you on the brand. Hopefully you can pick up a 2010 or 2011GL 450 or 550. Just be sure to give that GL a good test drive.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM

I loved it 22 weeks ago..that is why we bought it. Sigh... My husband, on the other hand, feels like he would rather distrubute $70,000 to all of you fine people, than to give Mercedes-Benz another dime. This is something we are currently disagreeing about.
I agree with your husband. I can PM you my banking info anytime

I would suggest you at least look at the new Durango. Lexi are nice, but big... You could give MB another chance, there's always the Acadia, but it is not as good to drive... tough call.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(