GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Whining noise while turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Whining noise while turning steering wheel

Hey guys, got a question. I recently took my 2011 gl450 in for service. The front suspension was making a clanking noise sometimes (when i would turn the steering wheel). I also started hearing a faint whining sound (like when you are low on power steering fluid). I talked to the sa and he said the ball joints needed lubricating (clanking noise) and that the whining is normal. What do you guys think? Even though the whining is very faint, it is a 'new sound'. It just started making that noise recently. I tried telling the sa that the noise is new and I know its not supposed to make noise when turning the steering wheel but he assured me that it is normal. Am I wrong? Can anyone tell me if they get the same noise from their GL? Is it possible that I did not notice it before? Am I asking too many questions? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by jcbutta
Hey guys, got a question. I recently took my 2011 gl450 in for service. The front suspension was making a clanking noise sometimes (when i would turn the steering wheel). I also started hearing a faint whining sound (like when you are low on power steering fluid). I talked to the sa and he said the ball joints needed lubricating (clanking noise) and that the whining is normal. What do you guys think? Even though the whining is very faint, it is a 'new sound'. It just started making that noise recently. I tried telling the sa that the noise is new and I know its not supposed to make noise when turning the steering wheel but he assured me that it is normal. Am I wrong? Can anyone tell me if they get the same noise from their GL? Is it possible that I did not notice it before? Am I asking too many questions? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
My '09 had the whining sound, but I never asked about it, lol. It was something that started after awhile (around 30k miles).
Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Well, my gl has only 4500 miles and it makes the noise. Just debating whether to make a big deal about it or just deal with it as being part of the "Mercedes Charm".
Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Well, my gl has only 4500 miles and it makes the noise. Just debating whether to make a big deal about it or just deal with it as being part of the "Mercedes Charm".
LOL, personally I would say something else. You never know. The earlier you have a problem documented the better off you are later on down the road. I have a rattle in the back end of mine, we have narrowed it down to a heat shield by the exhaust, but I am going to make them fix it, it's so annoying!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
I turned my steering wheel all the way, both ways..it doesn't make a whining noise as I'm turning it in either direction, although when I turn it all the way towards the right as far as it will go, I hear some type of very faint sound, wouldn't call it a whine but it is only when I turn it all the way to the right as FAR as it will go and it stops. (it only makes this very faint noise once it stops. Once I even lightly release the wheel and begin turning it the other way, that sound (and its barely noticeable) disappears. Hope that helps you!! I know how annoying sounds can be! I hope that helps!

Otherwise, a nice silent steering wheel for me (and that is amazing, considering the problems I have with my GL.)

Last edited by TamZ; 01-28-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
And we ALL consider TamZ the ultimate authority on GL noises! Seriously, we really do! Even if it is not by choice.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 PM

[quote=TamZ;4487764]I turned my steering wheel all the way, both ways..it doesn't make a whining noise as I'm turning it in either direction, although when I turn it all the way towards the right as far as it will go, I hear some type of very faint sound, wouldn't call it a whine but it is only when I turn it all the way to the right as FAR as it will go and it stops. (it only makes this very faint noise once it stops. Once I even lightly release the wheel and begin turning it the other way, that sound (and its barely noticeable) disappears. Hope that helps you!! I know how annoying sounds can be! I hope that helps![quote]

My gl does the same thing when you turn it as far as it will go, that is normal, but even if I am in park and turn the wheel just a little, I here the noise. If it was doing it all along, I would not be making a big deal, but the noise just started. GRRRRR!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
And we ALL consider TamZ the ultimate authority on GL noises! Seriously, we really do! Even if it is not by choice.

I am not sure how to 'read' this comment. lol... But...if I am going to be given the title....

I want the Tiara and the T-shirt that should go along with it, dang it.

Jcbutta-- I feel for ya. I hope it gets taken care of soon. What happens is, once you hear the noise...and know it's there...it becomes to blatantly apparent to you that it can drive ya crazy.

I occasionally use STP's advice about letting my radio be the 'worlds best mechanic' but I just can't let things go by disguising them because eventually, I fear it will just turn into something even worse!

Take it IN and get it FIXED
T.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 AM

2010 E550 Sedan
Hi. My wife's GL450 (2011) made the same metal noise when turned in/out of our driveway (on an incline) - took it to the dealer who ordered a replacement part (a spindle) and it has been fine ever since. I do not get any whining noises when turning.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by TamZ

I am not sure how to 'read' this comment. lol... But...if I am going to be given the title....

I want the Tiara and the T-shirt that should go along with it, dang it.

snip
T.
I 'hear' ya - lol
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
My 320 just hit 22k miles and I started hearing the slight whine. Dealer bled the power steering line and filled up with new fluid. SA said on GL's even slightly low fluid levels have been causing whine. I have fingers crossed but don't hear anymore.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Ok, I just got my car back from MB. For the clanking noise they applied preservation wax. They advised me that it fixed the problem. Guess what, clanking noise is still present.

As far as the whining sound while turning the steering wheel, the advised me that a slight whine while turning the steering wheel "IS NORMAL". Are they serious? Listen, I am no mechanic, but I do know what sounds a car is NOT supposed to make. My steering was not making any noise up until 4k miles and now it starts? They even could not fix the LOUD clanking noise from the front end.

I already made an appointment at the dealer where I originally purchased my vehicle. I settled on taking my GL to the new dealership for service because it was closer but now I remember why I did not purchase my GL from the closer dealership: They had crappy service!

I will let you guys know what the outcome is when I hear from the "good" dealership.

Thanks for all your replies.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM

As far as the whining sound while turning the steering wheel, the advised me that a slight whine while turning the steering wheel "IS NORMAL". Are they serious? Listen, I am no mechanic, but I do know what sounds a car is NOT supposed to make. .
I've heard this exact statement (It's normal!) so many times now, I've almost lost my mind. I hope you get your issue taken care of quickly!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by E550
Hi. My wife's GL450 (2011) made the same metal noise when turned in/out of our driveway (on an incline) - took it to the dealer who ordered a replacement part (a spindle) and it has been fine ever since. I do not get any whining noises when turning.
Update: E550, you were right. The SA at the "Good Dealership" just told me that the noise was because of a bad spindle. Will be picking it up tomorrow to see if all is well.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 AM

GL 450
2007 GL

I got the same strange noise this morning. I got it yesterday, but it stopped after driving for a while. I wonder?!? Going to the dealership after work today. I hope it's just low fluid.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Aloha919
I got the same strange noise this morning. I got it yesterday, but it stopped after driving for a while. I wonder?!? Going to the dealership after work today. I hope it's just low fluid.
Low fluid would indicate a leak. I hope there was no damage done to your rack.