GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rough riding GL350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 CL500,& '18 GLS63. Gone: '83 500SEC,'99 500SL,'07GL450
The harsh ride on my '07 GL450 was corrected by replacing the "Airmatic Control Unit with an updated control unit" under warranty on 1/24/11.

Last edited by reddog; 02-19-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E63s Wagon
That was four years ago. Think there still installing the outdated modules?? Perhaps. These are built in the US.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c320 wagon
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I agree with Bacon, if he is describing what I think he is. If you drive into a driveway, for example, not completely perpendicular, then you will be tossed about quite violently. This, i think, is inherent in the design of Airmatic, and there is not much you can do about it. Unlike earlier air and hydro-pneumatic suspensions (think Citroen), there is no direct cross linage between the bladders or reservoirs at each corner, they all act independently via a central compressor. I think this is a design compromise that was likely made when developing Airmatic for cars, but now that the same system has wound up on SUVs, as Bacon rightly points out, you will feel the effect more the higher the centre of gravity is from the wheel hub centre lines, and the greater the difference between the road height of the wheels.

When I try to enter the local Home Depot underground parking garage, I know to have all my passengers brace themselves, as I know this particular spot can cause the effect to the degree that people have hit their heads on the door glass or b-pillar in the past.

That being said, I would not consider that a "rough ride", just an unforunate dynamic characteristic. I can see how if you had to drive over ramps and curbs like that all day, it would be too much!

I have the same characteristics, super bouncy ride, feels like I'm on a trampoline, highway performance is great but slower speeds feel very bad, is this normal for GL? I have brand new tires yokohama geolandar g057

Not sure whether to get it checked out at the dealer or reading this thread shows that this is normal? I dont feel the same in my s class w221 with air suspension