GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Gl320 cdi 2007 ( bad year or bad luck?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl320cdi
Gl320 cdi 2007 ( bad year or bad luck?)

I am new to this forum, so excuse me if what I am about to say is old news. I really want to love my truck, because of its many great features ie towing, diesel, ruggedness. However, I have had endless issues with it. Some minor annoying things like faulty mirrors, heated seats and electric tailgate. I have about 100 kms on it, which should be nothing in the diesel world, but have already had transmission issues and 2rear air shocks blow on me while sitting in a drive thru. It was a scary experience, as everyone including me thought someone had been shot. About 2000-3000kms before scheduled maintenance is due my oil tank is almost empty and very dirty. I have always had it serviced regularly at the mb dealer and on time.
Are these normal complaints with this model or did I get the proverbial made in on a Friday! (I think in Mexico)... Ugh
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
First, the cars are built in the U.S., not Mexico. Second, despite continued efforts on the part of Mercedes there are still issues with reliability and build; and third, despite the fact that those of us with problems tend to complain the loudest, most folks who have purchased one are immensely happy with them.

Now, ask Tam or myself and you'll get a story of problems. But one thing about mine is, once a problem is fixed it has stayed that way (and yeah, I've had a few). And Tammy? She had a 2010 with so many problems it streched credulity, and she's well in to the buyback process, with Mercedes recognizing the vehicle is faulty.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Gl320cdi
Thanks for replying. I am glad to here that the repairs made have lasted, as I am now in the position that I need to buy my vehicle outright or sell it on my own. It is a combination of stronger Can. Dollar and unusually low kms negotiated at time of lease. Just trying to figure out if I should cut my loses or hang tight.
I did realize that the truck was manufactured in the US, I was just trying to be humerous about the whole situation. Always better to try and find humor in some of lifes annoying bumps!

Thanks again for your imput.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
First, the cars are built in the U.S., not Mexico.
Well I would say assembled in the U.S., not built here. Most parts are shipped over from Germany (or somewhere from Europe).

Add me to the list of those with problems. My MY08 GL 320 CDI had several electrical problems including air shock and tailgate issues causing dead battery situations three separate times (you can find my posts on this board). The problems were eventually fixed. However I traded for the MY 11 Bluetec for more convenience features such as updated Nav, and Keyless Go and the bi xenon headlights and cool LED driving lights. I have had the new GL for only 3 months and 4K miles. No issues as of yet. However, I would say after reading about this new V6 turbo diesel in the diesel forums, it is not your typical "long life" diesel. It is not rebuildable. And any time you turbo an engine, you are effective shortening its useful life. That being said, I only intend to keep the GL while it is under warranty as I don't think I could afford to keep it beyond warranty with the cost to repair/replace the air shocks ($1200 per shock out of warranty at todays prices), rebuild or replace a tranny or many other issues. Not to mention the common rail diesel injection system. I love the torque for pulling my boat, the milage of the diesel over the gasser and the cost of the diesel GL is less than the GL 450. I do use the GL for my daily driver and on the weekends for most family outings. It is just a great overall comfortable ride. It is a pleasure to drive. So I agree with Steve that not everyone is having problems, you just have to decide overall is the GL right for you, considering all things. If you are going to keep it for any length of time, the extended warranty is a must.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
^ While I agree that this new diesel V6 design is not as robust as older engines, I believe the new engine should last 250-300K miles. I am willing to bet it lasts longer than the electrical system in these trucks. The engine is the least of your concern.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Mercedes GL 450
Originally Posted by robalo220
However, I would say after reading about this new V6 turbo diesel in the diesel forums, it is not your typical "long life" diesel. It is not rebuildable.
wow.. i just learned something new today. i thought all engines were rebuildable but apparently, mercedes has designed the only one in the world that isn't..
Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
^ Actually it is rebuildable according to this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...tec-motor.html

Post#10

https://mbworld.org/forums/4512302-post10.html
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Luvleigh,
In 2007 it's my opinion Mercedes was still working bugs out of the system. The 7G transmission mated to a diesel was\is a tail kicker for them to program the shift software. Make sure you have the fluid changed with the newer spec fluid.
The Airmatic rear shocks must have come from a supplier that dropped the ball that day. Changed mine at 30000 miles or so due to leaks, and it's been fine ever since.
As for the tailgate, search the forum. That system had a flaw that would kill the battery because it did not close properly, and I think has a fix.
Overall not a bad ride, as thousands were sold as compared to complaints.
As for the oil, it gets dirty within minutes after changing oil. That the nature of an EGR diesel motor. Have the oil level issue checked. There was a faulty sensor fix (recall?) for that.
Oh, when I visited the factory, the rep told me that every part of the vehicle comes from US suppliers except the engine. (That's Deutsch) Part of the deal they have with the State for building the factory there.
Can't advise much on the sale/keep decision. In my mindset, MB's usually last a long time, even longer for diesels.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by didimao0072000
wow.. i just learned something new today. i thought all engines were rebuildable but apparently, mercedes has designed the only one in the world that isn't..
You thought wrong.

Do you even know what "rebuildable" means?

This information is 100% baloney in the fact that ZERO car engines are "rebuildable" given the criteria suggested.

The OM642 is a high performance AUTO engine, it's not some overweight slug truck engine. Somebody just gets his kicks badmouthing Mercedes and lots of naive folks just get on board.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by chsu74
Did you read the post. It stated that MB did an about face in 2004 about boring and sleeving cylinders. Our current V6 did not come out until 2007. I am referring to the V6 not the inline 6 that preceded the current engine.
The current V6's are not sleeved, they have an aluminum block. When the time comes, they are scrap metal. When you turbo charge an engine (either gas or diesel) you add excess wear. You are getting more out of the engine than it is capable of in its naturally aspirated form. Effectively the turbo shortens the life. As I said before, I do not plan to drive anything for 500,000 miles. I will trade to update, upgrade etc before driving something that long. However there are those that will drive one forever. I just don't think you can afford to drive a MB that long. The repair costs would outweigh just buying a newer vehicle with warranty.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Did you read the post. It stated that MB did an about face in 2004 about boring and sleeving cylinders. Our current V6 did not come out until 2007. I am referring to the V6 not the inline 6 that preceded the current engine.
The current V6's are not sleeved, they have an aluminum block. When the time comes, they are scrap metal. When you turbo charge an engine (either gas or diesel) you add excess wear. You are getting more out of the engine than it is capable of in its naturally aspirated form. Effectively the turbo shortens the life. As I said before, I do not plan to drive anything for 500,000 miles. I will trade to update, upgrade etc before driving something that long. However there are those that will drive one forever. I just don't think you can afford to drive a MB that long. The repair costs would outweigh just buying a newer vehicle with warranty.
You might want to check your facts.

If you are implying that the engine is an aluminum block with coated Nikasil cylinder bores like a Jag or BMW you are dead wrong. It has cast-in-place iron liners, I have seen a cutaway display engine myself.

Second, this engine does not exist in naturally aspirated form, it has been built from the ground-up as a turbo diesel engine. the presence of a turbocharger does not imply any reduced life. In a diesel application, two of the biggest killers on gas engines do not exist on diesels. There is no throttle valve to cause turbine stall/cavitation and it is impossible to ping a diesel to death as you can a gas engine, because all ignitions in the cylinder are by definition, detonations. Being built from the ground-up means the engine is meant to work with the characteristics of a turbo, and as a result, unlike say a '67 Corvair, there is no risk of reduced life.

To the OP. You may want to check with your dealer. Mine is offering me $10,000 cash to bring my truck in early and get a new one. It seems they can't get enough diesels to meet demand in Canada, so they want every one they can get their hands on. Just check the prices in the Auto Trader!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The current V6's are not sleeved, they have an aluminum block. When the time comes, they are scrap metal.
This describes ALL Mercedes gasoline engines now sold in USA, but not the diesel. Lots of BMWs, too.

This is a problem how?

You do understand, of course, that a nikasil/galnickel cylinder is WAY tougher than an iron cylinder.

Hey, if you don't want/can't afford a Mercedes, you don't need to manufacture excuses not to own one. Just don't.

Last edited by lkchris; 02-26-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
This describes ALL Mercedes gasoline engines now sold in USA, but not the diesel. Lots of BMWs, too.

This is a problem how?

You do understand, of course, that a nikasil/galnickel cylinder is WAY tougher than an iron cylinder.
It is a problem because when the cylinder walls wear out, you can not "re-sleeve" the block. It is not like the older "real" diesels that could be "re-sleeved" and hence rebuilt. So you just buy a new engine? That makes sense.

Originally Posted by lkchris
Hey, if you don't want/can't afford a Mercedes, you don't need to manufacture excuses not to own one. Just don't.
Dude I have owned 7 Mercedes. If you read my post I stated I will not own one until the wheels fall off and I have to rebuild it. I said I trade to keep in warranty so I don't have to spend a ton on repairs, replacements, etc. It's all a personal decision. Do what you like.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Second, this engine does not exist in naturally aspirated form, it has been built from the ground-up as a turbo diesel engine. the presence of a turbocharger does not imply any reduced life.
I'm not referring to this specific V6 MB Blutec and its predecessor the V6 CDI as having a naturally aspirated form. I'm just stating the fact that any diesel that has a naturally aspirated form and a turbo can be looked at. Marine 3208 Cats come in non turbo, turbo and TA (turbo, after cooled) versions. If you have been around any of these applications, you will know that the turbo version will last less hours by far than the natural and the TA version lasts even less. Same with Yanmar and Cummins. Ask any good diesel mechanic. Just stating a fact that this V6 Blutec most likely won't last 500,000 miles since it is a turbo. That however remains to be seen as they have not been around long enough to see that many miles. I hope those that plan on keeping their Blutecs and CDI's for a long time have great luck tho.
Cheers.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
It is a problem because when the cylinder walls wear out, you can not "re-sleeve" the block. It is not like the older "real" diesels that could be "re-sleeved" and hence rebuilt. So you just buy a new engine? That makes sense.
Given today's labor rates, I would not be surprised if rebuilding an old engine cost more than than buying a new crate engine. Especially if you live somewhere expensive like I do (SF Bay Area).

I base this on what it cost me to build a race motor for my race car. And I didn't really go hog-wild with it, as the rules I run under don't allow that. Simple 1st overbore, balanced and blueprinted rotating assembly, simple cleanup head job (no porting/polishing), etc. EXPENSIVE.

- Mark
Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by mdadgar
Given today's labor rates, I would not be surprised if rebuilding an old engine cost more than than buying a new crate engine.
Exactly.

The whole "can't rebuild it" thing is BS.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Since you guys still don't know what you are talking about when it comes to this block, including Kent, this engine is not a Nikasil plated aluminum block, it has iron liners. Check out Mercedes own press kit on the engine:

http://www.ourexcellentadventures.co...ents/OM642.pdf

...top of second page. I would not have bought it if it was. You just have to pick up any Canadian used car magazine to find people basically giving away 8-10 year old Jags that are burning oil. I don't think the the fuel is all that clean here, I know it is/was loaded with MTBE, and there is huge temperature swings. Somehow this does not seem to agree with Nikasil lining.

Now, as far as rebuilding goes, I see no reason that the iron liners could not be refinished or bored and sleeved like other engines of similar construction, but I have not seen any directive one way or the other from MB.