GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Used GL450 or New R350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 - Steel Gray + MM + 18" AMG + IPod
Used GL450 or New R350?

Planning to replace my second (VW=maintenance++) car with an MB, already have a C350 which I really like.

We need the extra third row so I was wondering which would be best, a used GL450 with about 20k mileage or a new R350?

What do you guys think? Which would you go for?

Appreciate the feedback.
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Why not a used GL320? I know someone with a 2007 ...
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
I had an R350 for 2 years and now I own a 2009 GL450 for 3 weeks now. Tell me how may kids do you have+ages and what are you planning to use it for, then I'll give you my opinion.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 AM

2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Why not a used GL320? I know someone with a 2007 ...

I could have sold them a 2011 GL350 awhile back...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Originally Posted by TamZ

I could have sold them a 2011 GL350 awhile back...
You wouldnt do that to a loyal member of this forum, would you?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 AM

C350 - Steel Gray + MM + 18" AMG + IPod
Originally Posted by yasminzeyad
I had an R350 for 2 years and now I own a 2009 GL450 for 3 weeks now. Tell me how may kids do you have+ages and what are you planning to use it for, then I'll give you my opinion.
Here you go:
Don't have too much long distance travel so that's not a major factor. The extra space is a major issue at least according to my wife We have 2 kids (including a baby) so need the most comfort/ease of going in/out of the car. We're in the DC area so weather not much of an issue even though when it snows the cleanup takes forever so an SUV would be a plus. I would typically prefer to get NEW cars and not USED but it's MB.

I'm going to test drive both this coming weekend. It's really a tough call, for now at least.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jcbutta
You wouldnt do that to a loyal member of this forum, would you?
No no no..no...absolutely not. I was trying to be a bit silly because STP made a comment about selling them his (problematic) GL right before my post. I meant it as a joke but I am much better at sincerity than sarcasm I guess!

If ANYONE on this board decides to buy a used 2011 BLACK GL350...loyal member or not, I want them to PM me so I can check the VIN #'s for them. I would hate to see anyone I know get my particular GL!

I just need to stop trying to be silly, jcbutta! I wouldn't sell my GL to my worst enemy...(well....)

We are surrendering the GL this morning to MBUSA! My saga is officially over today.

Tam
Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 PM

GL550
No no no..no...absolutely not. I was trying to be a bit silly because STP made a comment about selling them his (problematic) GL right before my post. I meant it as a joke but I am much better at sincerity than sarcasm I guess!

If ANYONE on this board decides to buy a used 2011 BLACK GL350...loyal member or not, I want them to PM me so I can check the VIN #'s for them. I would hate to see anyone I know get my particular GL!

I just need to stop trying to be silly, jcbutta! I wouldn't sell my GL to my worst enemy...(well....)

We are surrendering the GL this morning to MBUSA! My saga is officially over today.

Tam
I think CA DMV requires lemon lawed cars to be identified.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Well mine's not a lemon car, by most standards. And while some might say "Steve's problematic GL", in seriousness it has a new transmission (with warranty!) and turbo, new controller for the air ride and four shocks that are newer than the car (the rear two being very new). I agree I've had problems with it but I'm not really "pushing" the sale of the beast because, frankly, it has lots of stuff on it that is new and Mercedes, not aftermarket, put on by MB trained and equipped mechanics. It also by the way has four new tires. Finding 18 inch rim tires within our specs isn't the easiest thing in the world but it's not impossible. (Oh, and a new battery. Not sure which one but I think it's the main they replaced.)

Anyway, it's a tough one for me because (like I said in the previous post), the truck has over 106,000 miles on it and I'd say the really big stuff that's most likely to leave one dead in the road is, well, new. Replaced with new equipment by the manufacturer and installed by the dealer.

Now, for me, between the GL and the R, I would go with the GL for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is I carry cargo and dog crates, and I never liked the R's ride. Reading some of the leading consumer magazines, it's clear that the SUVs (and I don't think they're including the R in that because it's really not an SUV) are bringing down MB's overall reliability rating, and I know the guys at MBUSA read the magazines and these forums so I feel confident they're working on that kind of thing.

My last thing is, reading eXists post, doing primarily kids, I might suggest the R - or, honestly, some other brands. Both the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna come fairly highly recommended, with the Honda being classified as much more "sporty" (if a minivan can be "sporty"?!) Should you want to stay with Mercedes, though, and with all-wheel drive (4-Matic), then I think the R is your better bet.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Well mine's not a lemon car, by most standards. And while some might say "Steve's problematic GL", in seriousness it has a new transmission (with warranty!) and turbo, new controller for the air ride and four shocks that are newer than the car (the rear two being very new). I agree I've had problems with it but I'm not really "pushing" the sale of the beast because, frankly, it has lots of stuff on it that is new and Mercedes, not aftermarket, put on by MB trained and equipped mechanics. It also by the way has four new tires. Finding 18 inch rim tires within our specs isn't the easiest thing in the world but it's not impossible. (Oh, and a new battery. Not sure which one but I think it's the main they replaced.)

Anyway, it's a tough one for me because (like I said in the previous post), the truck has over 106,000 miles on it and I'd say the really big stuff that's most likely to leave one dead in the road is, well, new. Replaced with new equipment by the manufacturer and installed by the dealer.

Now, for me, between the GL and the R, I would go with the GL for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is I carry cargo and dog crates, and I never liked the R's ride. Reading some of the leading consumer magazines, it's clear that the SUVs (and I don't think they're including the R in that because it's really not an SUV) are bringing down MB's overall reliability rating, and I know the guys at MBUSA read the magazines and these forums so I feel confident they're working on that kind of thing.

My last thing is, reading eXists post, doing primarily kids, I might suggest the R - or, honestly, some other brands. Both the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna come fairly highly recommended, with the Honda being classified as much more "sporty" (if a minivan can be "sporty"?!) Should you want to stay with Mercedes, though, and with all-wheel drive (4-Matic), then I think the R is your better bet.
In no way was I suggesting your car was a lemon, just a general comment.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Smile

Tam
Lol. I know you wouldnt. I guess that was my one failed attempt at sarcasm too!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by jcbutta
Lol. I know you wouldnt. I guess that was my one failed attempt at sarcasm too!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Originally Posted by eXists
Here you go:
Don't have too much long distance travel so that's not a major factor. The extra space is a major issue at least according to my wife We have 2 kids (including a baby) so need the most comfort/ease of going in/out of the car. We're in the DC area so weather not much of an issue even though when it snows the cleanup takes forever so an SUV would be a plus. I would typically prefer to get NEW cars and not USED but it's MB.

I'm going to test drive both this coming weekend. It's really a tough call, for now at least.

Thanks!
OK here it is:
If you are planning to have a 3rd kid, then the GL is not for you. it is very hard to get in and out of the 3rd row in the GL.

If only 2 kids then the GL is OK but must have the running boards so that they can open the door (at age of 5) from the outside on their own.

R350 uses 25% less gas than GL450 for the same trip.

GL more room

GL safer in an accident (higher than the R)

IF u end up with an R make sure it has the panoramic roof.

Last edited by Zeyad Alkaisi; 03-17-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by yasminzeyad
OK here it is:
If you are planning to have a 3rd kid, then the GL is not for you. it is very hard to get in and out of the 3rd row in the GL.
As a mother with 3 children, I totally agree with this. I don't know what it is, but the GL has the hardest 3rd row to get to. It's the getting the seat open that is the problem. Only my 14 year can do it semi-easily. My 10 year old and my 8 year old struggled with the lever EVERY SINGLE TIME. It seems like it would be easy enough to add a remote button in the front to do it automatically. I would have totally paid for that option!!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
I have 4 kids. The third row is a bit of a challenge to get into, but my 9 year old is getting the hang of it. The lack of cargo space with the 3rd row up is more of a problem in my opinion.

I recently spent some time test-driving some other cars. We needed 3 rows of seating and some extra cargo room. Captains seats would also be a plus as long as three could fit in the third row. All wheel drive was a must. Here's a summary:

2011 Acadia Denali - 70% more cargo space behind the third row and captains seats were nice. But it was really ugly and car felt sluggish on acceleration. Better mpg was a plus. My wife couldn't get past the ugly aspect.

2011 Yukon Denali XL - too huge. too long. too difficult to drive.

Toyota Sequoia - ugly, suspension sits too high, car felt very heavy and a bit sluggish.

Toyota Sienna Limited AWD (the swaggawagon) - kids absolutely loved it. Looks were ok for a minivan. But then I reminded my wife "hey, so I guess we'll be sporting the Sienna on date night." That was a quick convo.

2011 Mercedes R350 - we liked the facelift it got, but the interior space wasn't as large as we would have expected (certainly not as big inside as the Sienna). Cargo room behind 3rd row was slightly better but maybe 25% more? 3rd row access easier but no captain seats. The worst part was how sluggish the car felt. The car is definitely underpowered.

Conclusion: ordered a 21cubic foot Thule rooftop box!