GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

First Road Trip...First Windshield Replacement!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 AMG GLE 63S
First Road Trip...First Windshield Replacement!

As expected our GL was great on a quick trip across the state this weekend. Lots of room and much smoother than our previous ML.

Thud! Small impact on upper passenger side corner and a split started to grow quickly. So, our first replacement windshield.

Any recommendations? Should we go to the dealer to confirm the fit? Or trust any replacement shop to seal it correctly, line up everything, and give us an OE replacement? Any experiences pro/con are appreciated. I'll likely submit this to insurance, so not sure what their procedure is yet.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by troymir350
As expected our GL was great on a quick trip across the state this weekend. Lots of room and much smoother than our previous ML.

Thud! Small impact on upper passenger side corner and a split started to grow quickly. So, our first replacement windshield.

Any recommendations? Should we go to the dealer to confirm the fit? Or trust any replacement shop to seal it correctly, line up everything, and give us an OE replacement? Any experiences pro/con are appreciated. I'll likely submit this to insurance, so not sure what their procedure is yet.
Part of the formula is what does your insurance company allow? The other part is that most of the dealers also use the common windshield replace guys.... and ( speaking from experience..... they usually do an amazing job!! ) Most likely the windshield service WILL have to use an OEM windshield on a vehicle that new. But it is amazing what they do..... You won't even know they were there!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350, GL320CDI
I had windshield replaced on our GL.
Apple Auto Glass ordered windshield from MB dealer brought to their shop and installed it.
Price was 650 Cad. Original MB windshield is a must I don't think that you can get after market for the GL.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I've had a couple of windsheild replacements (I have >107,000 miles on the beast, after all!) and I know you have a couple of considerations. First, go OEM - not a question, it's just not worth it to not. So then your choices are whether you have the three-zone climate control (i.e. IR glass) or not. And then who installs it - I've found in the past that my dealership will tell me who they use and I just call those guys out to do it. Since my insurance pays, it isn't a big deal, but if you're self-pay then you'll save the dealership markup on their service.

Best of luck to you!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:18 PM

2007 MB GL450
Also can the aftermarket windshield mess with windshield wiper sensors?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:06 PM

2019 AMG GLE 63S
OE Replacement

All is well now. Safelite ordered exact match from MB dealer and installed at our home this morning. Even ordered the signature sticker for us. I tried to get the IR as the replacement, but didn't get that lucky.

I watched the seal process to confirm there were no visable voids that would create air leaks. The tech seemed to know what he was doing and was very careful of the interior. Hope this one lasts!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Hope this one lasts!
I assume you saw the video of the gal driving down the road, chasing two trucks from one company and filming them because she thought they were racing? (Where the 2x4 comes flying through the windsheild?)

Even in this crap economy, any car I routinely take on the freeway/interstate/highway/parkway/etc. gets full glass coverage from the insurance company.

Oh, as for the I/R glass, man I would've liked to have done that as well, but they know from your VIN you don't have it so you don't get the more expensive glass. My last replacement came with the signature sticker - did they say they had to add it on or did they just tell you it came with it?

Trending Topics

Old 04-13-2011, 02:05 PM

2019 AMG GLE 63S
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I assume you saw the video of the gal driving down the road, chasing two trucks from one company and filming them because she thought they were racing? (Where the 2x4 comes flying through the windsheild?)

Even in this crap economy, any car I routinely take on the freeway/interstate/highway/parkway/etc. gets full glass coverage from the insurance company.

Oh, as for the I/R glass, man I would've liked to have done that as well, but they know from your VIN you don't have it so you don't get the more expensive glass. My last replacement came with the signature sticker - did they say they had to add it on or did they just tell you it came with it?
Saw that 2x4 video; scary enough to make you think next time you're following someone. We have full glass coverage, so it wasn't too bad. But, when processing the claim they went throught the questions, and when asked if it was blue tint or green tint I suppose the blue is IR because our's is green and that is what we got. There were a series of questions from Safelite as if they didn't ref our VIN.

They did have to add the sticker to the new glass. In the R Class forum (Velociraptor is on the line in AL) he noted a while back that the sticker is seperate now so I knew to ask for it.