GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Looking to buy a Mint GL DIESEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S65 ML63 SL65 S63 G63
Looking to buy a Mint GL DIESEL

Hello. Finally decided to get rid of the Rover and now in the market for a GL Diesel. Dont really know a lot of about the Truck Please give me some feedback what to do and what not to do with the purchase. One thing i dont like are the rims and tires on the diesel.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
prepare some mint money.

the cdi's are holding their value very very well.

trucks are reliable. some problems have cropped up with weak suspension airbags and there is a recall on the air compressors of older trucks. front suspension can be somewhat noisy too. p1 and p2 packages add a lot to the price.

good luck.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by 911turbox50
Hello. Finally decided to get rid of the Rover and now in the market for a GL Diesel. Dont really know a lot of about the Truck Please give me some feedback what to do and what not to do with the purchase. One thing i don't like are the rims and tires on the diesel.
I am not aware that the rims and tires differ from the diesel to the gas versions. Both the 350 diesel and the 450 gasser came from the factory with either 18 or 19 inch wheels (at least through MY 2009 when some bigger and wider rims became available). The same wheels could be had for either power plant.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 AMG GLE 63S
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
I am not aware that the rims and tires differ from the diesel to the gas versions. Both the 350 diesel and the 450 gasser came from the factory with either 18 or 19 inch wheels (at least through MY 2009 when some bigger and wider rims became available). The same wheels could be had for either power plant.
Diesel (GL350) = Runflats! I'm sure some are ok with them, but we came from an ML BTEC to the GL gas and the tire difference was a deciding factor. The ride is "abrupt" to say the least. One man's opinion, amongst the opinions of millions! But I'll take the gas/spare tire over the diesel mileage and runflats (don't forget the urea tank takes away the spare tire).
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by 911turbox50
Hello. Finally decided to get rid of the Rover and now in the market for a GL Diesel. Dont really know a lot of about the Truck Please give me some feedback what to do and what not to do with the purchase. One thing i dont like are the rims and tires on the diesel.
Good luck. You won't be disappointed. What I noticed in my GL research - it's easier to buy brand new than look for mint used. This thing holds value like a rock...plus MB gives 1.9% or 2.9% financing - which makes this purchase very attractable.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by troymir350
Diesel (GL350) = Runflats! I'm sure some are ok with them, but we came from an ML BTEC to the GL gas and the tire difference was a deciding factor. The ride is "abrupt" to say the least. One man's opinion, amongst the opinions of millions! But I'll take the gas/spare tire over the diesel mileage and runflats (don't forget the urea tank takes away the spare tire).
My previous car was X5 - and it also had runflats, but unlike GL's - that was terribe. MB drives nice and smooth with Bridgestone RFT...but if you wanna have regular tires - nobody stops you to do so. Just put air pump in the trunk, like I did in my X5....
Old 04-16-2011, 01:00 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 320 trucks have no run flats and no urea tanks. Because of that In my mind those are the most desirable of them all if taken good care and not too high mileage.

But I agree that looking at a new one is prolly the smartest thing to do. mint used units are holding their price very well and as price of gas goes up will continue to do so exceedingly well
Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
My 07 has a hair under 25k miles, is MINT, and has all options including mutlicontour leather seats, P1/2, 3 zone, keyless, trailer, 19" reg. brand new tires and from the South. What's it worth?

Last edited by carpersn; 04-16-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 GL350 BT | 11 E350 Estate
Originally Posted by aeggroup
My previous car was X5 - and it also had runflats, but unlike GL's - that was terribe. MB drives nice and smooth with Bridgestone RFT...but if you wanna have regular tires - nobody stops you to do so. Just put air pump in the trunk, like I did in my X5....
Agreed. I never ever change my tires so there's never any need for me to have spare. Sure I had the occasional flats but I always use the air pump to put enough air to get me home or to the nearest garage. My current GL bt has runflats but I never put those on since I'm running 22's with regular tires.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but your ml didn't have air suspension did it? I don't think that properly inflated runflat tires on the GL are harsh. The dealerships love to put 40 psi in my rear tires which the weight from my toddlers does not require. I have a Toyota 4Runner with stock 18" tires and the ride is significantly rougher than my GL with Goodyear runflats.

No offense, but there is a trend of people on here that criticize the gl's ride with the runflats but have never driven one so equipped. Given the number of gls on the road with runflats (all diesels and 450s with appearance package since 09) if the ride was so darn awful, you would think that we would hear more complaints from a few people that have actually driven a GL with them installed.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 AMG GLE 63S
Originally Posted by 43221B
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but your ml didn't have air suspension did it? I don't think that properly inflated runflat tires on the GL are harsh. The dealerships love to put 40 psi in my rear tires which the weight from my toddlers does not require. I have a Toyota 4Runner with stock 18" tires and the ride is significantly rougher than my GL with Goodyear runflats.

No offense, but there is a trend of people on here that criticize the gl's ride with the runflats but have never driven one so equipped. Given the number of gls on the road with runflats (all diesels and 450s with appearance package since 09) if the ride was so darn awful, you would think that we would hear more complaints from a few people that have actually driven a GL with them installed.
No offense taken. Like I stated, we had a negative experience but that is not indicative of all experiences. And you are correct that the ML is much different than the GL. Also, we travel frequently to somewhat isolated areas and the tire shops would definitely have to have a spare shipped in. So there were several factors for us.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
No offense taken. Like I stated, we had a negative experience but that is not indicative of all experiences. And you are correct that the ML is much different than the GL. Also, we travel frequently to somewhat isolated areas and the tire shops would definitely have to have a spare shipped in. So there were several factors for us.
I agree, the lack of a spare tire is potentially a big inconvenience. I'm hoping the next generation will have the adblue tank in a different location.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carpersn
My 07 has a hair under 25k miles, is MINT, and has all options including mutlicontour leather seats, P1/2, 3 zone, keyless, trailer, 19" reg. brand new tires and from the South. What's it worth?
44 wholesale 47 retail.

Btw, they have not depreciated a penny in the last year or so...