GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Battery Location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 550
Question Battery Location

Location and access to battery in GL550????
Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by johneran
Location and access to battery in GL550????
battery is under front passenger seat.
Also try these forum link :
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...9-battery.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...placement.html

Last edited by aeggroup; 06-24-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It could be that if this is the first time battery is accessed, cutting the carpet will be required.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by lkchris
It could be that if this is the first time battery is accessed, cutting the carpet will be required.
Ahh, yes, the spectacular German engineering you're so proud of.

- Mark
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM

2008 GL 320 CDI
Please don't cut the carpet!!! you just access it from the BACK... and not from the front by cutting the carpet
Old 07-07-2011, 02:18 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
instant classic thread...

move your passenger seat all the way forward... look behind it- carpet is precut where you need to open it. battery is right there... it take some spatial awareness to remove it but it can be done
Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by alx
move your passenger seat all the way forward... look behind it- carpet is precut where you need to open it. battery is right there... it take some spatial awareness to remove it but it can be done
The MBZ engineers were smarter than some of the people on this thread?

Imagine that.

- Mark
Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 PM

2008 GL320 CDI
Your remark about MB engineers needs to be restated after you have replaced engine air filters on a GL320CDI
Old 10-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL320cdi
Please tell me what tool you use to get to the air filter screws. I would like to change mine but have no idea how to access some of the screws!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by bselph
Please tell me what tool you use to get to the air filter screws. I would like to change mine but have no idea how to access some of the screws!!!
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...placement.html

It is far more work than changing an air filter should be.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 PM

2008 GL320 CDI
GL320cdi air filter replacement requires you to remove each air filter box from the engine.
Take the strut brace off, it's easy.
There are two bolts that hold each filter box in place, you will need to goto Autozone and buy the "metric ewt external star socket" (google it for images to see what it looks like). The set cost me about $15 at Autozone.
The air boxes are also held in each by two 'dingus in rubber hole', so you have to kind of yank it out once you get the two bolts off.
Its good to go ahead and remove the entire intake manifold feeding the turbo...which means it's a good idea to go ahead and change the fuel filter out while it's exposed (it's smack in the center of the engine looking from the top down).
The Driver's side airbox is the worst! to get out
I had to snip off the plastic sticking out towards the firewall and remove the three bolts holding in that black plastic fluid holding box thingy near drivers side headlight from the engine...I think this is brake fluid. Don't remove this thingy, the hoses attached to it, will keep it in place...but it's now all loose enough for you to work that air box out....don't give up...and drink a few beers and grab a snickers bar..it's gonna be awhile.
(getting this drivers side air box back into place is worse...since you can't see the two 'dinguses' to push back into the 'rubber holes'.
Once you have the airboxes out, its easy to replace the filters by removing the four 'torx' screws (you can get this set of torx bits or keys from Autozone also).
Keep a papertowel over the turbo intake and bypass hose connection( i just slightly jammed some in)...and no-need to clean off all that oil you'll find on turbo intake..it's supposed to be like that.
While I was working on the air filters...my brother was prying on something and snapped a plastic hose holder that was propelled straight into the open fuel filter hole....luckily i pulled it out with tweezers...that could have been a disaster...so...jam paper towels into every orifice you leave open while working!!ha ha..very funny.
while you have everything torn down...you can replace the cabin air filters easily by just flat head screw driver undoing the air box on passenger side firewall. Reach in and grab(as hard as you can..smashing several pleats together) the air filter pleats and pull up..start with the reaching to the right (there are two filters next to each other). ONce you violently remove the one to the right...don't be afraid..you won't hurt anything. then slide the one on the left to the right and yank it up and out as well.
Inserting them is the same process in reverse(put in on the right and slide to the left..), you'll have to severly deform the second one to get it in on the right side...many of us DIY guys have done this on this car this same way with no issues...you will just have to smooth the air filter out a bit once you get it in.
do some searching on threads to see where to buy all the parts from..if you have trouble...ask here...i'll list you the parts i got online...

be patient..and strong..
Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by alx
instant classic thread...

many one have a photo of this? Kinda funny.