GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Turning Over but Not Starting? Electric? Other?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes GL 320 Bluetec
Turning Over but Not Starting? Electric? Other?

I have a 2009 Mercedes 320 GL Bluetec. I have had issues with the radio simply "blacking out" when driving, not loading CDs, etc. A few months ago, I had a check engine light come on twice. The MB dealer was unable to replicate so he dropped it as an issue. In the past 2 weeks, my vehicle has inexplicably stopped starting several times, absolutely Randomly. It sounded like it was turning over ("clicking" like the diesel), the radio, etc were working but no start. After several tries, I was hanging up the phone, the radio flashed and I pushed the start button and the vehicle started like nothing was wrong. This happened a few more times; several times of not turning over, I fiddle with the radio and boom it works. Today, the playing with the radio to start your engine trick didn't work, yet when I turned on phone to call for assistance and tried the start button and engine started. Any suggestions? I don't believe it is the battery since everything electric works perfectly.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I have had radio problems related to the glow plug relay. Sounds weird, but it might be an angle to look at, since you need the plugs to start.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by appadito
I have a 2009 Mercedes 320 GL Bluetec. I have had issues with the radio simply "blacking out" when driving, not loading CDs, etc. A few months ago, I had a check engine light come on twice. The MB dealer was unable to replicate so he dropped it as an issue. In the past 2 weeks, my vehicle has inexplicably stopped starting several times, absolutely Randomly. It sounded like it was turning over ("clicking" like the diesel), the radio, etc were working but no start. After several tries, I was hanging up the phone, the radio flashed and I pushed the start button and the vehicle started like nothing was wrong. This happened a few more times; several times of not turning over, I fiddle with the radio and boom it works. Today, the playing with the radio to start your engine trick didn't work, yet when I turned on phone to call for assistance and tried the start button and engine started. Any suggestions? I don't believe it is the battery since everything electric works perfectly.
Sounds like something is very wrong in the power distribution part of the computer - the part that says, "if X is satisfied and Y is enabled then it is OK to energize the starting circuit". Bad computer chip, misinstalled programming or a random series of bad connections.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Sounds like something is very wrong in the power distribution part of the computer - the part that says, "if X is satisfied and Y is enabled then it is OK to energize the starting circuit". Bad computer chip, misinstalled programming or a random series of bad connections.
on the GL, a lot of the info is sent around the car on data buses, rather than electrical connections, so any junk info on the bus causes problems. I was told that my bad glow plug relay was sending bad info back up the bus and impacting my door locks and radio.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 PM

GL 320
I have an '09 GL 320.
The engine will turn over, making all kinds of attempts at starting up, but the engine just won't start. I tried 9-10 times - and it did not work. Then I did nothing and tried again - and the engine started like nothing had happened!!
This happens once every month or so - and it is completely random!
No idea what the issue is....thoughts?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I was driving in a fairly remote part of New Mexico in my '07 GL CDI when the dashboard and COMAND basically rebooted. Red message on screen saying transmission fault, drive slowly to dealer. I ignored it.

Told dealer service rep about it and diesel fuel pump relay was replaced--a known problem and the invoice listed the DTB ... which I've never been able to find at startekinfo.

Has a lot to do with cold weather IIRC.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
check your battery connections under the pass seat.

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM

GL 320
Exclamation 2009 GL 320 Bluetec engine turns over but does not start

I have had a problem with my '09 GL 320 Bluetec, completely random and about once every couple weeks.
Additionally, the GPS/Music system would randomly shutdown. It would reboot while the car was in motion. This would happen once or twice a day.

The vehicle is in warranty and I took it to the dealership. They said it was a faulty battery voltage problem. They replace the battery (the one under the passenger seat).

That solved the problem - however the engine problem persisted. The engine would not start (although it made all kinds of turn over attempts).

Whenever that happens, I switch off the car - and call Roadside assistance. I have called them 3-4 times. As I wait anywhere from 10-15 minutes - and almost always when I have help on the phone, the engine turns over and starts the engine as if no problem has happened.

I then took this to a different MB dealer, then said the found the fuse box needed repair. I got the MB back a few weeks ago, and again today the same problem happened - and then it solved it self.

I will be scheduling this for a 3rd check up.

If anyone has successfully solved the problem please let me know!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
If you purchased new, I would start the process for a lemon law buyback. Make sure MB and the dealer knows that you initiated it due to the reoccuring issues. That always gets their attention to fix it right before you get the car back.