Garage door opener link - '12 GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Garage door opener link - '12 GL450

any one have any better instruction on how to link my gate and garage door opener? the instuctions suck and i can't get it to work.

the synchronizing is the suck and can't get it to work.

just wondering if anyone have any better luck?

completely frustrated!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 GL320-wife '11E350-me
Can't emphasize this enough--Make sure your remotes have fresh batteries in them (replace batteries even if the remotes work on your door and gate) Follow directions exactly and it should work
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM

GL450 CLS500
I have a 2010 GL450 but I assume they have not changed the link system. I had no problem programming mine to open the garage door but it took a while to get the steps figured out as I have a door opener with rolling codes. If you have the manual for the garage opener it should have a section on programming remotes which you need to combine with the Mercedes manual steps

If you have that type of opener using the steps that require you to hold both of the buttons on the remote and the button on the mirror at the same time will not work. It's a lot easier to do with two people as someone needs to be on a ladder to access the buttons on the side of the door opener and someone needs to be in the GL.

I did it about 2 months but as I recall it was a matter of first clearing any existing programmed codes in the GL. Then with the wife in the GL and me on the ladder I had to push the "Learn" button on the opener while the wife pushed the button on the mirror that we wanted to use.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 PM

'11 GL 450
Frustrating

I just went through this with my '11 GL 450. I spent TWO hours working on this. The best that I can determine is that the firmware revision determines the process to an extent.

I have two door motors of the same model. One struck by lightning two years ago and controller replaced.

That has yielded two programming sequences for me.

In one (newer one) I can just start the cloning sequence on the opener in the GL and it will operate the door without doing anything.

In the older one, I have to clone the handheld opener, then press the "learn" button on the door controller and then push the button in the GL to transmit the sequence to the new controller.

Short version is that it took a while for me to figure this out and I ended up blowing my wifes SUV programming away too in the process.. 2 hours total time figuring this mess out.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i will try the new battery one first - both the gate and garage are on rolling codes and i am having a ***** of a time getting them to synchronize - it was much easier on my E. I will give it a try tonight - already spent about an hour the first time around - thanks for all the help
Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 PM

2012 GL 450
Cool Got it to work!

I just got my GL 450 a few days ago, and yes, I was frustrated too for some time before it worked. Once I understood what needed to be done, it was simple and I quickly programmed my other two garage doors as well.

Just follow the steps below - it is a 2 step process. Please note that the batteries in my garage opener remote are a few years old; I did not replace them and the process still worked.

STEP 1:
1) Clear the memory: press and hold the outer 2 buttons on the rear view mirror until the LED turns green.

2) Press the first button for 1 - 2 seconds and release. The LED lights up orange and blinks. Point the remote directly at the rear view mirror from a distance of about 3 inches or so. REPEATEDLY press and release the remote button while pointing at the rear view mirror. The LED should now turn green and blink.

STEP 2:
3) While LED is blinking green, press the "LEARN" button on the garage opener drive motor. (You might have to remove the light cover to access this. It is usually the big square red/orange button on the side with the hanging antenna wire).

4) Within 30 seconds of pressing the "LEARN" button, press the just programmed button on the rear view mirror REPEATEDLY until the garage door responds. (This step is necessary if the garage opener works on rolling codes).

Repeat this process with the remaining buttons for the other garage doors. Hope this helps!

Last edited by ShadowKing; 03-08-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 AM

2011 GL 350
Thanks ShadowKing
I bought my GL last year and tried to program it and was unsuccessful. It was annoying for the last one year trying to use garage door external remote control as I have Infra red glass. I had to press my remote multiple times and hold it in different positions. After discovering the "LEARN" button on drive motor, followed your instructions, and was successful. I look forward to not having to fiddle with my remote.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM

2012 GL 450
Cool Glad it helped.

Sounds like you had a very frustrating year! Leave that remote at home!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 PM

GLK 350 2010
Originally Posted by ShadowKing
I just got my GL 450 a few days ago, and yes, I was frustrated too for some time before it worked. Once I understood what needed to be done, it was simple and I quickly programmed my other two garage doors as well.

Just follow the steps below - it is a 2 step process. Please note that the batteries in my garage opener remote are a few years old; I did not replace them and the process still worked.

STEP 1:
1) Clear the memory: press and hold the outer 2 buttons on the rear view mirror until the LED turns green.

2) Press the first button for 1 - 2 seconds and release. The LED lights up orange and blinks. Point the remote directly at the rear view mirror from a distance of about 3 inches or so. REPEATEDLY press and release the remote button while pointing at the rear view mirror. The LED should now turn green and blink.

STEP 2:
3) While LED is blinking green, press the "LEARN" button on the garage opener drive motor. (You might have to remove the light cover to access this. It is usually the big square red/orange button on the side with the hanging antenna wire).

4) Within 30 seconds of pressing the "LEARN" button, press the just programmed button on the rear view mirror REPEATEDLY until the garage door responds. (This step is necessary if the garage opener works on rolling codes).

Repeat this process with the remaining buttons for the other garage doors. Hope this helps!
ShadowKing

THIS SET OF STEPS REALLY WORKED !!!!!

I tried many many Youtube ones that all did not work.

Some 2012 new Benz models have KEYLESSGO ... take this out and use key fob to setting number 2 to make this work ...

Thank you! after days of trying to figure this out to program my two garage doors on the mirror buttons on my 2012 GLK 350 .... with your instructions, I was finally able to do this ...

THANK YOU!!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM

GL450
Thanks ShadowKing and vdp-benz. Can't wait to try this at home. I tried in vain for over an hour to program the opener in my 2012 GL450 that I just picked up yesterday. Do I really need to remove the KEYLESSGO and if so, how do I do this. Seems very cumbersome compared to BMW (it took me about 2 minutes to program the garage door in my 2012 BMW M3).
Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Call the Dealer

I gave up after about 3 minutes. The newer models have a much more confusing system for whatever reason. I asked the dealer about it and they just sent someone over to do it for me. Problem solved.

It took the guy a good 20 minutes to do both garage openners and he knew what he was doing! No way I'm spending a whole weekend afternoon trying to figure that one out.

For the price I paid for the car (not to mention the "Dealer Conveyence Fee") they can come over and take care of that please, thank you very much.

Good Luck
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by paulybagadonuts
I gave up after about 3 minutes. The newer models have a much more confusing system for whatever reason. I asked the dealer about it and they just sent someone over to do it for me. Problem solved.

It took the guy a good 20 minutes to do both garage openners and he knew what he was doing! No way I'm spending a whole weekend afternoon trying to figure that one out.

For the price I paid for the car (not to mention the "Dealer Conveyence Fee") they can come over and take care of that please, thank you very much.

Good Luck
Now that sounds like an even better idea. Time to call Euro Motorcars.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 PM

GL450
Tried this with a non rolling and got it to work in a minute. Tried with a rolling and gave up after 30 minutes. Oh well.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 PM

GL450
Thank you!

ShadowKing, you rock. I just brought home my brand new 2012 GL450 today, finally read your post, and got the garage door opener to work in 30 seconds. Prior to that, it was an hour and a half of frustration following the instructions in the owner's manual - which did not work. I don't know how you figured out those steps, but they worked like a charm for me. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM

MB GL 450; BMW 530i; Toyota 4runner
Thought I'd add in case like me, someone had the Clicker universal remote. This does not work for programming the GL !! if you have a liftmaster garage door opener. I am not sure about other brands.

My workaround was to buy a liftmaster remote online on ebay, cheapest I could find was a one button for $17. Used that to program the homelink button and had it working under 10mins

Hope this helps someone

Cheers
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Still cant get mine to work. I cant even clear my existing codes. When I press the outer 2 buttons, it never turns green. Any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM

MB GL 450; BMW 530i; Toyota 4runner
My GL is a 2010 so to clear mine, I press and hold the outer two buttons till it starts to flash rapidly.

Do all your buttons have programming already ?, I would try skipping the 1st button and trying to program the 2nd and 3rd buttons
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by jcbutta
Still cant get mine to work. I cant even clear my existing codes. When I press the outer 2 buttons, it never turns green. Any suggestions?
Are you sure your doing this with the car started? I tired it with it in accessory and it didn't work - not sure why. Run the ignition and try to program it. I don't think it ever turns green, just goes from a slow blink when learning to a fast blink when learned. Then marry it to the opener by hitting "LEARN" on your garage unit and then press the button of choice.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 AM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
the problem with mine is no fast blink. im gonna go get some new batteries for my opener. maybe thats it.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Gl450
Garage door issues

I just bought my GL 450 2012 and I have the say the instructions totally suck. Thanks much to shadowking for showing the steps. Although, for some reason my rearview garage door opener is different. Once I clear the cache, in order to get to the step with the blinking orange light, I had to press repeatedly the selected button on and off a few times instead of just pressing and holding unlike what everyone else seems to be doing.

Once I got to the stage with the blinking orange lights then everything went smoothly.

I have to say though, I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get to the blinking orange lights.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM

450gl
This is a nice demo:
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owner...007c184335RCRD
Old 05-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Gl450
Update on my 2012 GL garage door opener:

So I had to reprogram my garage door opener to add another garage, I realized that the instructions are wrong regarding the step to get to the blinking orange lights. Instead of press and hold the selected button until it flashes orange, what I have to do instead is to just press and hold briefly, then it will flash orange.