Running boards are coming off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 485 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Running boards are coming off!

By choice, that is. Im sick of having to step over these barriers to entry.
I've got a nice set of black plastic rocker panels lined up and my question is: do I need any additional parts?

Lot of stories on here on how to install running boards, but very few in detail on how to replace them with rocker panels. Is the removal the opposite of installation?

Thanks for your input, and if anyone needs a drivers side rb I got one for sale.
(The pass side was very slightly pranged navigating a rocky rutted trail, and I'll throw that one in for free)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Originally Posted by Max Blast
By choice, that is. Im sick of having to step over these barriers to entry.
I've got a nice set of black plastic rocker panels lined up and my question is: do I need any additional parts?

Lot of stories on here on how to install running boards, but very few in detail on how to replace them with rocker panels. Is the removal the opposite of installation?

Thanks for your input, and if anyone needs a drivers side rb I got one for sale.
(The pass side was very slightly pranged navigating a rocky rutted trail, and I'll throw that one in for free)
too bad. I'm looking for running boards and I would give you my rocker panels.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Bummer! I need a right hand running board.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
I just had the running boards on my moms ML350 replaced with the skirts and it required the skirt for each side and 2 brackets for each side. The running boards have a different bracket/jack point. I ordered my GL350 without the running boards.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They are off!

Wow what a difference it makes strapping the kids in! No more 45 degree hip flexes, yah!
Easy job, no problems noted. The hardest was to figure out how to pop the jack mounts out of the extenders. Easy - just pop them out.
Anyways, I've now got a set of boards for sale with all mounting hardware included. Anyone interested? The rear of the passenger side has a 4" scuff but they're still usable. Will ship at your cost, shoot me an offer or hit me up for pics.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NevadaNick
I just had the running boards on my moms ML350 replaced with the skirts and it required the skirt for each side and 2 brackets for each side. The running boards have a different bracket/jack point. I ordered my GL350 without the running boards.
FYI the jack points are located in the same place, they just sit on 2" extenders bolted to the running boards. If you ever wanted to reverse the installation, just pop the jack mounts out of the extenders and put them back on the rocker panel and the skirt on top. There's a rubber grommet covering the jack pad mount hole on running board cars which pulls out easily.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Dibs on the running boards.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Still available. $250 plus shipping. PM me.
Mods, feel free to move this to 'for sale' if you must.
Pics so you can determine their worth to you.

To keep this somewhat of a writeup, the aluminum rails on the first picture are the underlying structure that hang from the side of the door sill on protruding studs. The plastic strips cover up the underside previously covered by the plastic rocker panel.

Picture five shows the rear jack pad extenders, as seen from above. The slots in them allow the whole rail/jack pad assembly to slide onto the door sill studs from the side. The slots match up with downward pointing studs on the rocker panel. Simply remove your jack mount center plastic knob with a screwdriver, then pop the mount from the car. Put the jack pad onto the extender facing same way it was facing on the car, and cover up the hole left on your car with the supplied grommets. The plastic rivets and double plate clamps both sides of the rear fabric wheel well lining.

My passenger side took a rock hit, and has a foot long scuff on it but the metal is still in place. About a 4" rip in the plastic at that location. MB will sell you just the plastic piece for around $250 or a body guy can buff/plastic weld it for less.
Attached Thumbnails Running boards are coming off!-img_2152.jpg   Running boards are coming off!-img_2169.jpg   Running boards are coming off!-img_2173.jpg   Running boards are coming off!-img_2168.jpg   Running boards are coming off!-img_2181.jpg  

Last edited by Max Blast; 12-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I'm taking off the running boards from My 2012 GL450
Any body want to buy or trade for the non running board rockers?
I just need something to fill the gap when they come off--I'm tall and don't need them and I am tired of stepping over them!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Flashpix
I'm taking off the running boards from My 2012 GL450
Any body want to buy or trade for the non running board rockers?
I just need something to fill the gap when they come off--I'm tall and don't need them and I am tired of stepping over them!
This illustrated parts breakdown shows standard sills at bottom left. ... including mounting parts.

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...71/63l/69/060/